Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- raydevos - 2009-12-30

davilla Wrote:I suggest looking here -> http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/

svn trunk will be merging to this shortly.

ShockedShocked

At last... Big Grin I can't wait the first official release.

Thanks Santa Davilla Claus!

- cj43 - 2009-12-30

Patiently waits to see if cck197 is going to update his build with the latest linux driver and xbmc version for crystalHD.

- JerryV - 2009-12-30

Hey guys, first off: Great work!!! It's impressive to see all the progress that's being made.
I do have one question: If i'm not mistaken the cards on ebay are not the official Broadcom cards.. Do they work as good as the real thing? (1080p)

- garyi - 2009-12-30

Oh crap thats what I ordered, one off ebay.

- JerryV - 2009-12-30

garyi Wrote:Oh crap thats what I ordered, one off ebay.

I have ordered one as well, since it's the only one I'm able to get over here.. Rolleyes
I was just wondering if it will perform as good, or even at all, before performing surgery on my ATV. Rofl

- g00f - 2009-12-31

Both of mine were HP branded, but looked exactly like the official Broadcom ones, and both were ordered from Hong Kong to Canada. Trip was about 2 weeks for both, as I ordered on different dates, and both work flawlessly on the USB Linux stick, after the 2nd update they ran even better, so I hope for excellent performance from them when the real ATV version is ready to release. I would trust the ebay ones if its from a reputable seller, mine was a notebook reseller, so he had an endless supply of them...from notebooks I assume.

- dan1son - 2009-12-31

They're all the same fellas. They just switched the board around. The first ones available seemed to be originally built for HP netbooks, but were sold as-is on eBay. I bought one of those a couple of months ago (seller was in California actually) and it works great.

- JerryV - 2009-12-31

Great, thanks for the info Big Grin
Time to get the tools out for some ATV upgrading!

- brraja - 2009-12-31

cck197,

Thx so much for the work you put into this, it is quite impressive. I was wondering if there is there a decent guide or something you can recommend on how to make an atv image on a stick?

I can think of a couple of other images that would come in handy for me, and if I could just swap sticks and reboot that would be a breeze - I loaded a distro onto the internal ATV drive once, but it was a fair amount of work, I am wondering if this would be easier to create....?

- BritBloke - 2009-12-31

brraja Wrote:I was wondering if there is there a decent guide or something you can recommend on how to make an atv image on a stick?
Would this work for you?

- terrier2006 - 2009-12-31

Hi

I have tried everything to get this going but im stuck at a distorted 1080p LCD TV with distorted horizontal Lines going across the screen. I am able to SSH into the box and I have attached the xbmc.log here. I dont have the Crystal HD card yet waiting for delivery.

I copied the image to the USB stick using the command in post 1 on linux ubuntu 9.10 and I have tried 2 different usb sticks with exactly the same results. Both boot ok but something is not right. I am connected via an HDMI lead but I have also tried component. Also I am unable to restore the image on Windows 7 using the USB image tool as I get the same error as in post 17

"Could not write to the USB device (error 87).
The parameter is incorrect"

There is defiantly something happening behind the distorted screen as when i use the remote the distortion changes. I also rebooted the gnome desktop and I see the brownish color behind the distortion before it goes darker so could this be a linux issue, what logs could i get to look at that? I also installed the update as mentioned in post 74 with the same results.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Confused

- g00f - 2009-12-31

I havent tried the USB stick without the Broadcom installed, I assume running it without it would cause issues with XBMC renderer as this image is really for this card, and it looks specifically for this card in the kernal, but my linux nohow ends here. Why run this USB Stick without the card installed, everyone else is using the card with stick?

- terrier2006 - 2009-12-31

g00f Wrote:I havent tried the USB stick without the Broadcom installed, I assume running it without it would cause issues with XBMC renderer as this image is really for this card, and it looks specifically for this card in the kernal, but my linux nohow ends here. Why run this USB Stick without the card installed, everyone else is using the card with stick?

Im sure I have read others trying this out in preparation for receiving the card. I just wanted to make sure I could load this on the USB stick I have and as I say to be ready when I get my card.

- davilla - 2009-12-31

g00f Wrote:I havent tried the USB stick without the Broadcom installed, I assume running it without it would cause issues with XBMC renderer as this image is really for this card, and it looks specifically for this card in the kernal, but my linux nohow ends here. Why run this USB Stick without the card installed, everyone else is using the card with stick?

It will detect and kick back to ffmpeg decoding if the hardware is not detected, that's even if you have crystal hd selected as the renderer. Remember, this is a video display setting that does not effect GUI display.

It's an X11 Xorg issue, see http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay for some xorg settings that might help.

- grey - 2010-01-01

hey guys, can someone upload a video on youtube with how smooth does appletv play 1080p using Broadcom Crystal HD module?

thanks