Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] Compiling crystalhd-for-osx Lib/Kext - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] Compiling crystalhd-for-osx Lib/Kext (/showthread.php?tid=66174)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- grey - 2010-01-07

great news, because for a second or two i was afraid that i've made a mistake buying the Broadcom chip Smile

- A Milton - 2010-01-07

grey Wrote:great news, because for a second or two i was afraid that i've made a mistake buying the Broadcom chip Smile

Heh. It's gonna be the best thing that's happened since the Patchstick! And be glad you bought the Broadcom chip early; I bet they're gonna get more and more expensive as this project gets more mature.

- Jimmer - 2010-01-07

@TheQuestor - dude, this is awesome news! When I finally discovered I couldn't compile XBMC on my PPC for the ATV, I was gutted... Now I'm a happy bunny again!

Jim

- WeakATV - 2010-01-07

Anyone know a set of sample files we can all use as a basis to see what works, and what doesn't? Maybe someone can make some with some free content?

I don't much about codecs or different types of encoding, but it seems hit or miss for me. It would probably get everyone on the same page, and could prob help out the dev's.

- here2dl - 2010-01-07

Any chance of some binaries for testing ? - while I can get it to compile, I can certainly managing manually installing the files and reporting feeback

- jayhawk785 - 2010-01-07

here2dl Wrote:Any chance of some binaries for testing ? - while I can get it to compile, I can certainly managing manually installing the files and reporting feeback

Davilla mentioned a solution is coming. He indicated something was coming yesterday--but I watched, waited, and nothing yet. Perhaps he ran into some snags. Give it a bit, this is still in its infant stages.

- Jimmer - 2010-01-07

here2dl Wrote:Any chance of some binaries for testing ? - while I can get it to compile, I can certainly managing manually installing the files and reporting feeback

Check out TheQuestor's post before your own... he is building his OSX/ATV nightlies with CrystalHD support built in. You can either modify Launcher to add a download option from these nightlies, or you can head to his site, grab the download and then manually install.

I'd back up your userdata and current app before you install the nightly. eg copy your userdata folder (eg 'cp -r' not 'mv' since you want to keep your current userdata...) to userdata.old and mv your current XBMC.app to XBMC.9.11.app so that you can easily reverse the process to your working install if something goes wrong with the nightly build (which could happen....).

Jim

- interceptor121 - 2010-01-07

The build will support Crystal HD but only if you have already installed the drivers which is actually the part that needs compiling and so on.
I have my CrystalHD card here since few days, I am waiting for the wireless bridge to arrive then I will plug it in and check I am happy with the performance on the standard ATV
Once everything is fine I will attempt the crystalHD installation hoping that by then there will be already binaries to support it.
In so far as your userdata folder I have gone from 9.04 to 9.11 to nightly build back to 9.04 no problems. I only see plugins now in 9.04 that do not actually work but I am not bothered. There are few issues with 5.1 surround on 9.11 anyway so we may need to wait a bit until the whole set is working fully with CrystalHD and all the standard functionality

- Jimmer - 2010-01-07

@theinterceptor

yeah, I totally understand what you mean with the userdata - and you've had no problems, but how do you know that tomorrow's nightly, or the one after that, etc, won't be a problem? Just seems a sensible precaution, if the worst happens. Seriously, takes two seconds to type the commands versus loads of arseache re-scraping, etc from scratch....

Also I understand that you still need to build the libraries, but I thought he wanted to know where to grab a XBMC that had support compiled in, because the version available via the launcher doesn't...

Jim

even if you use the nightly builds compiled @the sshcs site, you'll still need the kext installed in atv, or on the mac no?

It was my understanding that we'll need drivers installed in the machine to support the card either way, thequestor is just compiling a nightly that has the drivers/headers on the compiling machine to allow support in the xbmc release---still need drivers for the card and i think people want these in binary so they dont have to compile them on their machines.

Yes you still need the kext
Which means that unless you get that to work you don't need to bother with the nightly build

- here2dl - 2010-01-07

The recent update to Launcher, once installed, gives access to nightly builds with Broadcom Crystal HD support. That would be step 1 IMHO.

However, one still needs the driver (the kext file) and probably the libraries (if I understand correctly). These I have tried and failed to build, but it is clear some are succeeding. If those who are managing to to build the driver and libraries could share with the rest of us, we can install them (step 2) and start testing (step 3) Smile

here2dl Wrote:The recent update to Launcher, once installed, gives access to nightly builds with Broadcom Crystal HD support. That would be step 1 IMHO.

However, one still needs the driver (the kext file) and probably the libraries (if I understand correctly). These I have tried and failed to build, but it is clear some are succeeding. If those who are managing to to build the driver and libraries could share with the rest of us, we can install them (step 2) and start testing (step 3) Smile

If you do not have an understanding of what you are doing you should not be playing with compiling code.
Let alone the fact that you need to add few things to your mac to even start you may end up in a mess.
The idea is that once that the people that have an idea of what they are doing get to a good progress there will be a first binary for a release candidate.
At that stage there will still be bugs so don't worry we will have time to contribute but if you do not even understand the concepts behind coding you should just sit and relax waiting patiently

- dafranca - 2010-01-07

lib and kext build in 10.5.8:
http://www.easy-share.com/1908939681/CrystalHD-lib-kext(1-7-10).rar

1) sudo mount -uw /
2+) rar x CrystalHD-lib-kext\(1-7-10\).rar
3) cd CrystalHD-lib-kext\(1-7-10\)
4) sudo chmod -R 755 *
5) sudo chown -R root:wheel *
6) sudo mv libcrystalhd.dylib /usr/lib/libcrystalhd.dylib
7) sudo mv bcmFilePlayFw.bin /usr/lib/bcmFilePlayFw.bin
8) sudo mv BroadcomCrystalHD.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/
9**)
Code:
sudo cat /etc/rc.local > rc.local; sudo echo "sudo /sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext" >> rc.local; sudo mv rc.local /etc/

+= requires rar
*= requires turbo kext (installed with nito's smart installer)

By the time my chip makes its way here from china, i'm guessing this has all but worked itself out Smile