Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version (/showthread.php?tid=66388)

- The Spirit - 2010-02-01

erhnam Wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sabnzbdplus lm-sensors transmission-cli transmission-daemon transmission-common wireless-tools wpasupplicant libid3tag0 mt-daapd apache2 python-software-properties
sudo wget http://xbmcfreak.smetana.nl/upgrade-package-v10.tar.gz
sudo tar zxvf upgrade-package-v10.tar.gz --directory=/

Ignore the warnings about existing directories within the xbmclive user home dir.

i tried this. but my version still shows the same version number and compiled on december 24th 2009.
what have i done wrong?

- Scott R - 2010-02-02

Hello. I installed this version and am trying to solve some choppy video playback issues on my Revo 1600. I was going to mess around with the xorg.conf file, but I don't seem to have one in my /etc/X11/ directory. What am I missing?

- erhnam - 2010-02-02

The Spirit Wrote:i tried this. but my version still shows the same version number and compiled on december 24th 2009.
what have i done wrong?

That's correct. The xbmc version isn't upgraded. Only the pieces around it.

- Starstream - 2010-02-02

erhnam great work on this custom build.

I have a suggestion though you may have kept this out for reasons I'm not aware off anyhow the method to enable 24Hz support whereby you add Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" to the screen subsection of xorg.conf is that possible to include out of the box so to speak.

Not only does it enable 1080p@24Hz but it also opens up other resolutions that are otherwise not detected, for example my TV under XBMC Live defaults to 1080p@50Hz but with the fix I can use 1080p@60Hz or 1080p@24Hz. There are officially supported by the TV and other devices detect these resolutions but for some reason XBMC doesn't.

Its possible my TVs are just a special case but I had to do this for a Panasonic Plasma and Philips LCD.

- erhnam - 2010-02-02

Starstream Wrote:erhnam great work on this custom build.

I have a suggestion though you may have kept this out for reasons I'm not aware off anyhow the method to enable 24Hz support whereby you add Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" to the screen subsection of xorg.conf is that possible to include out of the box so to speak.

Not only does it enable 1080p@24Hz but it also opens up other resolutions that are otherwise not detected, for example my TV under XBMC Live defaults to 1080p@50Hz but with the fix I can use 1080p@60Hz or 1080p@24Hz. There are officially supported by the TV and other devices detect these resolutions but for some reason XBMC doesn't.

Its possible my TVs are just a special case but I had to do this for a Panasonic Plasma and Philips LCD.

Yes, my next version will include a customized xorg.conf Smile

- Starstream - 2010-02-02

erhnam Wrote:Yes, my next version will include a customized xorg.conf Smile

Cool thank you. Cool

- thedalmeny - 2010-02-02

I've got an Acer Revo with an ION - you definitely recommend i use this version?

I was just going to install vanilla 9.11 - but if this one is better..

- Icefeldt - 2010-02-02

thedalmeny Wrote:I've got an Acer Revo with an ION - you definitely recommend i use this version?

definitely install this version! Smile

- erhnam - 2010-02-02

thedalmeny Wrote:I've got an Acer Revo with an ION - you definitely recommend i use this version?

Indeed. Anyone with a Nvidia (ion) card I could recommend to use this version.

erhnam Wrote:Indeed. Anyone with a Nvidia (ion) card I could recommend to use this version.

Whats the main advantage of it over vanilla?

I know it may have been covered throughout this thread, but at over 30 pages and many revisions hehe..

Also does work like normal with the Microsoft MCE Remote out of the box ye?

Also got a guide to make a USB bootable thing to install 9.11

Exactly same process i guess to install this ye?

- X3lectric - 2010-02-02

use fusbi in windows to create a usb install disk from any iso, Linux full dektop 9.10 already has a usb creator which fusbi is based on.

main advantage is XBMC is updated so many improvements and bugs are fixed over 9.11 this disk is heaven sent for ppl who cannot compile XBMC from svn (if you picked the svn disk)

Disadvantage of using erhnam's install disk is that you end up installing many programs which personally don't have need or use for.

Another disadvantage is that its does not work as well with ION HT mainly lirc drivers and you are forced to create user xbmc otherwise you end up with two xbmclive installs on either user.

It should support mce out of box.

Process wise is boot to installer and sit back any XBMC install disk is that easy.

@ erhnam would you consider creating/improving on these disks with menu driven program installs so users can choose which extra programs to install?

Also customized xorg.conf can backfire cause your own specific TV's or Screen will have different refresh rates so the xorg as to be recreated on install and tweaks then applied.

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-02-02

the *usual* XBMC/VDPAU-related xorg.conf tweaks shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of LCD-users here

Acer Revo 1600 usb wireless network adapter issue - robbaroon - 2010-02-02

I saw several posts earlier on in this thread from people having issues with this build not seeing usb wireless network adapters but didn't see any resolution. Unfortunately I can't seem to get mine to work either. I've tried three different usb adapters, an older dlink b, a netgear g, and a brand new linksys N and none of them apparently register properly during XBMC install. I've done the steps described on this thread and still can't get XBMC to see out. Going under the settings I can see that XBMC is getting an Ip address and the rest of the info from the router although beside Internet it just says "Busy".

Am I missing something? I'd really like to get this working as everything else about it seems to work so much better than the Windows version. Please help!

X3lectric Wrote:use fusbi in windows to create a usb install disk from any iso, Linux full dektop 9.10 already has a usb creator which fusbi is based on.

main advantage is XBMC is updated so many improvements and bugs are fixed over 9.11 this disk is heaven sent for ppl who cannot compile XBMC from svn (if you picked the svn disk)

Disadvantage of using erhnam's install disk is that you end up installing many programs which personally don't have need or use for.

Another disadvantage is that its does not work as well with ION HT mainly lirc drivers and you are forced to create user xbmc otherwise you end up with two xbmclive installs on either user.

It should support mce out of box.

Process wise is boot to installer and sit back any XBMC install disk is that easy.

@ erhnam would you consider creating/improving on these disks with menu driven program installs so users can choose which extra programs to install?

Also customized xorg.conf can backfire cause your own specific TV's or Screen will have different refresh rates so the xorg as to be recreated on install and tweaks then applied.

Thanks for that.

I'm having trouble installing this.. I used UNetbootin to create a bootable USB stick, when trying to boot off the USB stick it returns a load of "99" and then says to select a proper boot media device.

Will fusbi solve the problems?

Ah FUSBi is the same

I think i made a bo bo - used the .zip file when i created the USB stick instead of the .iso contained within the .zip.

Will try again and take the external CD drive just incase