Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version (/showthread.php?tid=66388)

- erhnam - 2010-02-08

manekineko Wrote:Is there a simple tutorial on adding Boxee on the latest builds? I'm running v11, and the dual boot version linked to much earlier in this thread seems fairly out of date now.

Also, on upgrading between v11 and v12, do I just need to backup my user directory and then I can reformat the whole drive? Or is there anything more involved I need to do?

Upgrading from v11 to v12 would be very complicated thing to let users do.

You need to install a new kernel and headers. If you do so you will notice that the nvidia.ko and coretemp.ko cannot be loaded anymore so you need to install the nvidia drivers by hand and compile the coretemp.ko module with the necessary patches.

Also the future xbmcfreak livecd's won't contain any new functionality. So if you're happy with it, stick to it Smile

- TxDot - 2010-02-08

FoxMcCloud Wrote:Hi guys

am I right in thinking that this should work a-ok with an Asus EeeBox EB1501 ?

As in, download, burn to disc, install and done?
Would Wireless be an option during install (to get it to connect to network) or after install....
etc

Thanks
I've installed it on my EB1012 though I had to use an external drive since the EB1012 doesn't have an optical drive. I also did it with a USB stick but the optical drive is easier I think.

My house is fully wired so I didn't mess with the wireless. In fact I want to remove the antenna. I have tried to do so already but the thing seems to be VERY securely screwed on and I'm afraid I'll break it if I try to hard.

- glenner05 - 2010-02-08

hi all
i just installed this xbmc live ion version, V11 . Working perfect, only have 1 issue. Samba is preinstalled, but i don't see the shares from within win7. When i manually installed samba with official XBMC live releases, it wasn't a problem to see these shares in win7. Do i have to activate or configure something first in order to see these shares? i tried already to restart samba services with 'sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart' but doesnt work....also tried adding this to smb.conf
[xbmc]
comment = XBMC Share
path = /home/glen/
force user = glen
inherit permissions = yes
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
but no result either....

- saratoga - 2010-02-08

mross22 Wrote:Are you running a full Linux, it just the live version?

Ordinary Ubuntu, but I don't think it really matters. Provided audio and VDPAU work in one, they should work the same in the other. The install directions are basically identical.

- jimbo2008 - 2010-02-08

I installed this on my Revo and I have no sound now. I use HDMI for video but my television is a little older and i could never get audio through it so i had been using the headphone port with no problems but now i have no sound at all. Any ideas?

- Cervantez - 2010-02-08

jimbo2008 Wrote:I installed this on my Revo and I have no sound now. I use HDMI for video but my television is a little older and i could never get audio through it so i had been using the headphone port with no problems but now i have no sound at all. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. I had sound after the install, but after my first reboot lost it. I deleted the .asoundrc file from /home/xbmc , after a reboot I got the sound back. Its not the best solution, but its working fine for me right now.

- Bahndit - 2010-02-09

TxDot Wrote:I've installed it on my EB1012 though I had to use an external drive since the EB1012 doesn't have an optical drive. I also did it with a USB stick but the optical drive is easier I think.

My house is fully wired so I didn't mess with the wireless. In fact I want to remove the antenna. I have tried to do so already but the thing seems to be VERY securely screwed on and I'm afraid I'll break it if I try to hard.

TxDot,

How did you install via a USB Stick? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

- manekineko - 2010-02-09

erhnam Wrote:Upgrading from v11 to v12 would be very complicated thing to let users do.

You need to install a new kernel and headers. If you do so you will notice that the nvidia.ko and coretemp.ko cannot be loaded anymore so you need to install the nvidia drivers by hand and compile the coretemp.ko module with the necessary patches.

Also the future xbmcfreak livecd's won't contain any new functionality. So if you're happy with it, stick to it Smile

So you're saying all this is the case even if I reformat and copy over my old user directory (and is there anything else I'd need to copy to keep all my customization in XBMC)?

- manekineko - 2010-02-09

saratoga Wrote:I added Boxee to my XBMC + Ubuntu machine and I didn't have to do anything special beyond downloading the boxee .deb. Provided you have the sound and vdpau stuff setup for XBMC, it should also work with the same settings in Boxee. Its all basically the same thing.

After installing Boxee via a .deb, is there any convenient way to switch between XBMC and Boxee? I was under the impression the dual boot version that erhnam released had something that made that easier than plugging in a keyboard and launching Boxee from the command line?

Saved settings in the console - Hyralak - 2010-02-09

Hi,

I have v12 installed on usb with unetbootin I am looking for some insight as to why my changes are not being saved. I HAVE logged in as root to install wicd to enable wireless N. I also have unmuted my sound in alsamixer when logged in as root. When I reboot wicd is no longer installed and my sound is muted againHuh
Zotac ION
No HDD
No CDROM

- fozzieb - 2010-02-09

Hyralak Wrote:Hi,

I have v12 installed on usb with unetbootin I am looking for some insight as to why my changes are not being saved. I HAVE logged in as root to install wicd to enable wireless N. I also have unmuted my sound in alsamixer when logged in as root. When I reboot wicd is no longer installed and my sound is muted againHuh
Zotac ION
No HDD
No CDROM

By default, I think doing it this way just tricks the installer to thinking it is on a cd, there for it does not write back to media.

I may be wrong but i think there is another step you have to take.

- TxDot - 2010-02-09

Bahndit Wrote:TxDot,

How did you install via a USB Stick? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.
I had to go into the BIOS settings and change it so that the USB "hard drive" was the first in the hard drive boot order. IIRC, just setting it in the usual boot order section didn't work. It's been a while since I did this but if you can't figure it out I'll see if I can go back through the process.

- DeanM3 - 2010-02-09

Sorry to ask this question again, but it wasn't answered before.

Is there any downside to using this on a non-ION geforce 9-series motherboard? I.e. are they are kernell specific ATOM stuff that wouldn't not work well with a Core 2 Duo?

thanks in advance.

- Bahndit - 2010-02-09

TxDot Wrote:I had to go into the BIOS settings and change it so that the USB "hard drive" was the first in the hard drive boot order. IIRC, just setting it in the usual boot order section didn't work. It's been a while since I did this but if you can't figure it out I'll see if I can go back through the process.

I can get my box to boot from the USB stick. However, when I select "install to harddrive" option in the boot menu the Debian installer hangs "because it can't mount the cd-rom drive"

I can install from a CD but I am tired of burning discs. I know I can upgrade via cli. But I am often helping friends build XBMC machines and I would rather just be able to do a new install to a hard drive from a USB stick with the image on it (especially since ernham keeps pumping out all of these great revisions).

Thanks,
Bahndit

- Hyralak - 2010-02-09

fozzieb Wrote:By default, I think doing it this way just tricks the installer to thinking it is on a cd, there for it does not write back to media.

I may be wrong but i think there is another step you have to take.

Thanks fozzieb, that led me to find the following information:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49781

Which i then proceeded to execute the following commands:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/live-rw bs=1M count=2048
mkfs.ext3 -F /mnt/live-rw

By running those commands I now have the ability to save my changes on a 2 gig section of my USB stick.

Big thank you to erhnam for creating this release, it is greatly appreciated!