Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version (/showthread.php?tid=66388)

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

Took the plunge with the new Lucid version. So far only problems are no menu sounds in XBMC (not a big deal) and no CPU or GPU temps under system info. Installing latest NVIDIA drivers now (256.35), so we'll see what happens. Still have to configure sabnzbd+ and transmission, which I've never done from scratch on an ubuntu system, so this could get interesting.

- NotShorty - 2010-07-03

Got the July 1st release, and installed to usb with unetbootin-windows-471.exe

Removed nodiskmount anywhere it appeared in \boot\grub\grub.cfg and \syslinux.cfg

Mounts my IDE drive fine, but my 2 SATA drives aren't being mounted. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any and all help. Really excited about the new release!
NS

edit:
Actually, if I go to "System info - Storage information" I can see
/media 931.5 GiB (1TB SATA)
/media 0.1 GiB (system reserved space?)
/media 298.0 GiB (320GB SATA)
/media 232.9 GiB (250GB IDE)
/live/image 3.5 GiB (4GB USB, used for XBMCFreak boot disk)

But as you can see, all the HDDs appear to be mapped to the /media directory, and if I navigate to that directory from the file browser, I can only view the contents of the IDE drive...

Again, thank you for any and all help!

- bilbon0bud - 2010-07-03

i have test this release to.
I have 1 SATA Drive and 2 USB Disk.
same probleme
I just see the content on the first usb disk into media.
If i unplugged the usb disks, start the pc, i see my sata drive into media, then i plugged the usb disk and they appear into media as folder into the sata drive.

i have test to create folders into media and mount manualy my sata drive and the second usb, it workd too.

but i don't find a solution to have my disk auto mount.

thanks

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

Watched a few things last night on it after upgrading to the new NVIDIA drivers. All seems good. Still no menu sounds, and still no CPU/GPU temps for my Zotac IONITX-G-E. I think I'll have to dig around on the old V14 disc to find what the settings were in advancedsettings.xml to get temps working. Everything seems smoother, and there isn't the little lag I used to get when the system had been running for a while.

- AaronD - 2010-07-03

I've installed this on two machines so far. Both are Acer Revo's R3610, plugged into a receiver via HDMI doing digital audio with passthrough.

To get audio working, all I did after the install was run the following instructions (copied from someone else's thread)

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Set audio configuration under System > Audio to HDMI, with HDMI for passthrough and audio - ie I didn't have to change anything or type any special PLUGHW:0,3 settings. It just worked, both menu sounds and video playing sounds with DTS and stereo.

I hope this helps someone.

- chanders - 2010-07-03

@AaronD thanks! I am about to do this install later on a Revo 3610 and I am pretty sure I'll need these instructions. One thing though, I have heard that you can't get a terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 because the screen is blank. How did you execute the commands?

@cowfodder How did you install the new drivers? Do you have the step by step instructions? I have the same exact problem with the automounting of the drives.

Have anyone tried running Aeon/Aeon65 or variants with his install? I have heard that it lags consideribly. Maybe due to it not being optimized for 10.0X ?

- AaronD - 2010-07-03

I used Putty from a Windows box and SSH'ed into the Revo. But then again, I never tried Ctrl+Alt+anything, I always used Putty for configuring.

- tkainusa - 2010-07-03

AaronD Wrote:I've installed this on two machines so far. Both are Acer Revo's R3610, plugged into a receiver via HDMI doing digital audio with passthrough.

To get audio working, all I did after the install was run the following instructions (copied from someone else's thread)

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Set audio configuration under System > Audio to HDMI, with HDMI for passthrough and audio - ie I didn't have to change anything or type any special PLUGHW:0,3 settings. It just worked, both menu sounds and video playing sounds with DTS and stereo.

I hope this helps someone.
'

Thanks for these settings! I have few .m2ts files whose audio track doesn't work. I can only hear noise from my speakers. Any ideas how to fix it?

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

chanders Wrote:@AaronD thanks! I am about to do this install later on a Revo 3610 and I am pretty sure I'll need these instructions. One thing though, I have heard that you can't get a terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 because the screen is blank. How did you execute the commands?

@cowfodder How did you install the new drivers? Do you have the step by step instructions? I have the same exact problem with the automounting of the drives.

Have anyone tried running Aeon/Aeon65 or variants with his install? I have heard that it lags consideribly. Maybe due to it not being optimized for 10.0X ?

Install wget if you don't have it already
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wget

Stop XBMC-Live
Code:
sudo stop xbmc-live

Then download the driver installer package
Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/256.35/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run

Then
Code:
sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run

Finally
Code:
sudo start xbmc-live

As for automount issues, I've never run into them, but I only have one internal HD, and I set that to /media/media in fstab at install. I'm not sure if the system reads them as multiple HDs when you're installing, but if it does you can use the custom partition option to set mount points for connected drives at install.

- AaronD - 2010-07-03

What do the latest drivers give you?

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

NVIDIA Release Notes Wrote:* Fixed a regression in 256.29 where Performance Level clock frequencies were reported incorrectly in nvidia-settings.
* Fixed a 3D Vision Stereo bug that caused the stereo glasses to not toggle when the flat panel was not running at its native mode timings.
* Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-settings to crash when rendering its thermal gauge widget if the range of valid values for the thermal sensor was empty.
* Fixed a bug which prevented use of high performance PowerMizer levels on systems with certain ACPI configurations.
* Fixed a bug that caused non-primary Fermi GPUs to fail to initialize framebuffer memory. This caused a variety of symptoms, up to and including system hangs.
* Added unofficial GLX protocol support (i.e., for GLX indirect rendering) for the following OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_blend_func_extended
GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend
GL_ARB_sample_shading
GL_ARB_timer_query
GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects
GL_NV_explicit_multisample
GL_NV_transform_feedback Improved Thermal Settings reporting in nvidia-settings to accurately reflect hardware configurations with multiple thermal sensors.
* * Fixed an interaction problem between Compiz and 'screen-scraping' VNC servers like x11vnc and vino that caused the screen to stop updating. Fixes Launchpad bug #353126.
* Enhanced VDPAU to add basic support for Xinerama. VDPAU will now operate on a single physical X screen under Xinerama. See the README for more details.
* Enhanced VDPAU's handling of corrupt clips of all formats on GPUs with VDPAU feature set C to be at least as good as on GPUs with VDPAU feature set B. This significantly improves various clips provided by nvnews.net user eamiller.
* Fixed a bug in Xv attribute handling that caused hue, saturation,brightness, and contrast values to be misapplied when using an Xv overlay adaptor.
* Fixed a bug in the XvMC driver that prevented it from working on systems with AGP graphics cards.
* Enhanced VDPAU to clear all VdpVideoSurfaces to black when allocated.This provides more consistent results when using a surface as a reference when no prior decode operation has written to that surface.In turn, this improves the results of decoding some corrupt streams,such as "p_only_no_play" from ffmpeg bug 1124.
* Implemented new APIs to allow sharing VDPAU surfaces with OpenGL andCUDA. The OpenGL extension is GL_NV_vdpau_interop. For CUDA, please
see the documentation in the CUDA toolkit for details.
* Worked around a bug where the combination of a GPU with VDPAU feature set A together with specific motherboard chipsets could cause visible corruption when decoding some MPEG-2 streams
* Fixed a bug that prevented the VDPAU overlay-based presentation queue from being used more than a few hundred times per X server invocation.
* Renamed the driver file libGLcore.so.VERSION to libnvidia-glcore.so.VERSION, as a small step towards reducing the filename collisions between NVIDIA's and MESA's OpenGL implementations.This driver file is used by NVIDIA's libGL.so and libglx.so, and should never be used directly by applications.
* Changed the SONAME of libnvidia-glcore.so.VERSION,libnvidia-tls.so.VERSION, and libnvidia-compiler.so.VERSION to be ".so.VERSION", rather than ".so.1".These driver files are only used by other NVIDIA driver components, and are only intended to be usedby components of the matching NVIDIA driver version.
* Removed the "-pkg#" suffix from the NVIDIA Linux .run files.The packages are now simply named "NVIDIA-Linux-ARCH-VERSION.run".On Linux-x86_64, a package which omits the 32-bit compatibility libraries is also available: "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-VERSION-no-compat32.run"
* Simplified the directory structure of the Linux extracted package; most driver files are now just contained within the top level directory of the package.Pass the '--list' option to the .run file for details.
* Removed precompiled kernel interfaces from the NVIDIA Linux-x86 .run file; these were ancient and had not been updated in years.Going forward, NVIDIA does not plan to provide precompiled kernel interfaces with the Linux .run files.However, nvidia-installer and the .run file will retain the ability for users to add their own precompiled kernel interfaces via the '--add-this-kernel' .run file option.
* Compressed the nvidia-settings, nvidia-installer, and nvidia-xconfig tarballs with bzip2, rather than gzip.

Also seem to give better support for certain audio files. I just prefer to keep things up to date personally, as it's easy to downgrade if new ones screw something up.

- ClayM - 2010-07-03

What's the process for downgrading?

- ClayM - 2010-07-03

Installing the nvidia drivers seems to have broken my install; xbmc no longer starts up on bootup.

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

Because you let it overwrite your xorg.conf.

- cowfodder - 2010-07-03

Ok, posting from my iPhone cuts off the second half of that post.

When you ran the installer it should have backed up your old xorg file as something like xorg.conf.old. Check in your /etc/X11 folder and replace the new xorg with the old one, then reboot.