Kodi Community Forum
Is the Acer Revo man enough for me - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Is the Acer Revo man enough for me (/showthread.php?tid=66790)

Pages: 1 2

Is the Acer Revo man enough for me - Gingbeard - 2010-01-10

I'm looking at the 3600 with 160gig HDD and 2gig RAM. I want a pc to run uttorent non-stop, but also run XBMC, just .AVI's. The problem is that XMBC runs best when booted from XBMC Live? Which runs from Linux, any ideas how I can run XBMC and Utorrent?

Or will I need to go with the Dual core version and run XBMC from Win7?

- coalfield - 2010-01-10

Gingbeard Wrote:I'm looking at the 3600 with 160gig HDD and 2gig RAM. I want a pc to run uttorent non-stop, but also run XBMC, just .AVI's. The problem is that XBMC runs best when booted from XBMC Live? Which runs from Linux, any ideas how I can run XBMC and Utorrent?

Or will I need to go with the Dual core version and run XBMC from Win7?

Duel Boot. I have a revo and run XBMC LIVE (linux) off a 4GB SD card and windows 7 from the HDD. It rocks!

- Gingbeard - 2010-01-10

coalfield Wrote:Duel Boot. I have a revo and run XBMC LIVE (linux) off a 4GB SD card and windows 7 from the HDD. It rocks!

Is it the 3600 (single core) or the 3610(dual core)? I was hoping to be able to run uTorrent WHILE watching stuff on XBMC you see.... Assume that cant be done?

- prae5 - 2010-01-10

torrent client and xbmc will run quite happily on the single core version under linux.

- coalfield - 2010-01-10

Gingbeard Wrote:Is it the 3600 (single core) or the 3610(dual core)? I was hoping to be able to run uTorrent WHILE watching stuff on XBMC you see.... Assume that cant be done?

As mentioned it can be done but difficult to do unless you are a linux whizkid.

- mobious - 2010-01-10

got the acer 3610 with xbmc installed on it, I got to say it was a journey I could have done without, but by god is it amazing Big Grin

- TaterSalad - 2010-01-11

I just bought a Acer Aspire Revo. I am running XBMC Live and I have been searching for a suitable torrent client to run in the background. Right now I am currently running rtorrent with a rutorrent webui. It looks very similar to utorrent, however setting everything is up isn't for the faint of heart.

- Solarisphere - 2010-01-11

You might be able to run utorrent under Wine in an ubuntu install with XBMC running overtop, but it makes more sense to use Deluge instead. The interface is very similar to uTorrent and it has almost all of the same features. RSS downloading is more difficult to set up, but it can definitely be done (I've got TV shows downloading as they become available).

It might be very difficult for a linux newbie to get the deluge daemon running in the background of an XBMC Live install though. I have no idea how you'd do that, but I'm sure someone on the Ubuntu forums could find a way.

- jhsrennie - 2010-01-11

I use a Revo 3600 with WinXP and it works very well indeed. Most 720p videos play fine though it won't play 1080p without assistance. However I have just fitted a CrystalHD card (you have to sacrifice the WiFi to free up the mini PCIe slot) and it now plays 1080p perfectly at 27% CPU :-)

The Windows vs Linux arguments will no doubt stretch on into eternity, but if you know Windows and have lots of Windows apps you like then why not use Windows?

JR

- snoop2048 - 2010-01-11

As others have said, you can achieve what you want on the XBMC live version, but you will want to run a torrent client that runs natively on linux. Installing wine and utorrent seems a bit strange, each to their own tho.

rtorrent + some web gui
torrentflux with transmission.

Both will need apache installed also.

These will happily run in the backgroud whilst you run XBMC installed from the live (which works a treat on the revo), and the revo will give you a very low powered box if your gonna be running 24/7.

I suppose the question is not if the revo is man enough for you, its are you man enough to set it up! - it can be done easily from the command line.

- onclebob - 2010-01-11

oh thank for this thread, i think i will bookmark it as the "start" of reseach about configuring xbmc live with just a torrent client running in background.. just waiting my packard bell imax mini (Acer revo clone, cheap in france: 109$ w/o OS!) and try this!

- Gingbeard - 2010-01-11

snoop2048 Wrote:I suppose the question is not if the revo is man enough for you, its are you man enough to set it up! - it can be done easily from the command line.

I work as a computer programmer... I reckon I could handle it..

- coalfield - 2010-01-11

jhsrennie Wrote:I use a Revo 3600 with WinXP and it works very well indeed. Most 720p videos play fine though it won't play 1080p without assistance. However I have just fitted a CrystalHD card (you have to sacrifice the WiFi to free up the mini PCIe slot) and it now plays 1080p perfectly at 27% CPU :-)

The Windows vs Linux arguments will no doubt stretch on into eternity, but if you know Windows and have lots of Windows apps you like then why not use Windows?

JR

3600 with live plays back 1080p with <30% CPU usage smooth and the fonzie.

- coalfield - 2010-01-11

onclebob Wrote:oh thank for this thread, i think i will bookmark it as the "start" of reseach about configuring xbmc live with just a torrent client running in background.. just waiting my packard bell imax mini (Acer revo clone, cheap in france: 109$ w/o OS!) and try this!

erm where! I never heard of this and $109 is surely too good to be true. You sure its got Ion?

- snoop2048 - 2010-01-11

onclebob Wrote:oh thank for this thread, i think i will bookmark it as the "start" of reseach about configuring xbmc live with just a torrent client running in background.. just waiting my packard bell imax mini (Acer revo clone, cheap in france: 109$ w/o OS!) and try this!

Can you post a link? $109 sounds way too good to be true. The price of the revo for an ION build is almost too good to be true and its triple this!