Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) (/showthread.php?tid=67420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Mike8913 - 2010-12-09

I've corrected the path to makemkvcon......can you go into further detail on the latter part of your post. (SVQ?)

- ImTorn - 2010-12-09

Hi,

I am new to XBMC - in fact I don't even have it yet. However, I am planning to buy an ASRock ION 330HT in the next day or so and install XBMC Live, which I understand is built on a Linux platform.

I am aware that playing Bluray within Linux is not generally possible yet and that XBMC does not support it out-of-the-box. I do not yet own a Bluray player so have been doing some research to understand whether it is worthwhile buying the -BD version of the ASRock - my research led to this thread, which I have just read end-to-end. It looks like it is possible to get Bluray playback working using this plug-in but, since the thread has been running for many months now, I wanted to summarise my understanding of what I would need to do to get it up and running. If someone with a working system could confirm my understanding then I'd be very grateful!

First, a noob question - am I correct in saying that it is possible to access the Linux command prompt from XBMC Live? If not, presumably I need to opt for the XBMC for Linux version instead...

I'll assume Live is okay. I think the steps I need to follow are:

1) Create XBMC Live bootable CD
- Any advice on the best version to use? Is 9.11 okay?
2) Install XBMC Live
3) Install MakeMKV
- Any advice on the best version to use? Is 1.6.2 okay?
4) Update ALSA to resolve audio issues
5) Install the Bluray plug-in
- I think the version I use depends on the version of XBMC I install:
- Use the link from the first post on this thread (BluRay-plugin-v01a.zip) if using pre-Dharma XBMC;
- Use the link in the most recent post from magnetism (plugin.makemkvbluray.zip) if using Dharma XBMC;
- Or should I use the add-in that djselbeck created back in June - not sure on the difference between a plug-in and an add-in...?
6) Install SVQ files to allow MakeMKV to read Bluray discs.

Have I got got that right? Have I missed anything?

Any help and advice that you guys could share would be great.

- Mike8913 - 2010-12-09

how do you install these svq files? I hadnt even heard of them until the last post before mine

- ImTorn - 2010-12-09

Post #122 of this thread links to a makemkv forum page that talks about it. The SVQ files are used to circumvent BD+ protection that certain titles use. Looks like you create a folder to hold the SVQ file(s) and change a setting in makemkv to point to it (the folder, not the file).

- TaterSalad - 2010-12-10

I don't understand something about Blu-ray in XBMC. We have this plugin that, from the source, looks like it just pipes the largest track in the mounted Blu-ray disc or iso to makemkv and sends that video stream output to the player.

Alternatively without the plugin, you can manually mount your Blu-ray iso in Linux. Browse to the largest track yourself, and hit play. XBMC recognizes the file and plays it natively (as of Dharma), without the plugin.

So I guess my question is, why do we need this plugin? DRM and Blu-ray menu issues aside, it seems that XBMC can handle Blu-ray content ever since libbluray was integrated into Dharma. If that's true, why does XBMC not play the largest track from the .iso directly? (You have to go through the process of manually mounting it from the command line and browsing to the specific track before anything will actually play.) I would expect the function to work the same as handling a DVD .iso minus all of the menu functions.

Don't get me wrong. I think this plugin is a great solution for people who want Blu-ray in XBMC, so more power to you. But from an architectural standpoint, I think it's headed in the wrong direction. This shouldn't be built in as a plugin. It's awkward and cumbersome to navigate through plugin menus just to get a local video file to play. It should be able to play the iso directly from the XBMC Library natively.

I know XBMC developers are working hard to implement Blu-ray support into XBMC. And it seems the hard part (decoding the video and playing it properly) is finished. All that lacks is preping the iso or mount so that the video can be played from the Video Library. Shouldn't this be a simple integration?

Perhaps I am missing something. And I hope I didn't step on any toes in saying this. I know everyone hates the guy that says "When will we have X?" or "Why don't we have Y?" while contributing nothing. Those aren't my intentions. I am just genuinely curious.

- eskro - 2010-12-10

im curious too Smile

Since DHARMA,
XBMC can play a Retail Copy-Protected BD-Disc with the help of ANyDVD HD....

So,
about a BD-ISO, i dunno because, why backing it up as a ISO?

To keep the menus right?

Well if so,
you'll need an external Player like PowerDVD so u can enjoy BD-Menus!

And then,
if Menus aren't important for you and you want to rip your BD-disc
to keep only the main movie and a single language track,
MKV format is the way to go!
And XBMC can play MKV's natively....

So unless you absolutely need bd-menus contained in an ISO file,
XBMC can play do the job of playing your BD-Disc or MKV file natively....

Im just curious to why have XBMC read an ISO file
when it wont be able to make you see the bd-menu anyways...
because of licensing issues of course...

Huh

- TaterSalad - 2010-12-10

eskro Wrote:im curious too Smile

Since DHARMA,
XBMC can play a Retail Copy-Protected BD-Disc with the help of ANyDVD HD....

Actually, that's only on the Windows version of XBMC. And XBMC isn't really playing the Blu-Ray. It's just a smoke screen of hooking the AnyDVD application. I was more specifically talking about XBMC being able to play .m2ts track files. XBMC can play them, but only when they are not inside a Blu-Ray iso.

eskro Wrote:So,
about a BD-ISO, i dunno because, why backing it up as a ISO?

To keep the menus right?

Well if so,
you'll need an external Player like PowerDVD so u can enjoy BD-Menus!

And then,
if Menus aren't important for you and you want to rip your BD-disc
to keep only the main movie and a single language track,
MKV format is the way to go!
And XBMC can play MKV's natively....

So unless you absolutely need bd-menus contained in an ISO file,
XBMC can play do the job of playing your BD-Disc or MKV file natively....

There are a dozen reason to preserve the ISO format. When you rip a movie, you loose all of the menus, and special features. You are left with a single compressed audio and video track wrapped in a mkv. While this is fine in most cases, some like this preservation.

eskro Wrote:Im just curious to why have XBMC read an ISO file
when it wont be able to make you see the bd-menu anyways...
because of licensing issues of course...

Huh

BD-Menus or any licensed Blu-ray content won't ever happen without 3rd party software. Or unless XBMC gets liscensed itself. But that costs lots of money. Then they'd have to start charging for XBMC. And that's outside of the open source model.

But my original question is this. XBMC can play raw .m2ts tracks straight off a mounted Blu-ray. But package everything up in a DRM-free .iso and XBMC wont recognize nor play it. Why?

- eskro - 2010-12-11

i understand your question Smile

i guess its because its simply not implemented in XBMC yet...

Think of it like a RAR archive file....

to see whats inside, you need to unpack it, same thing for ISOs...

When the ISO is mounted, then, its kinda like your unpacking the ISO
so you can see whats inside Smile

So, in order to XBMC to be able to do this himself,
it has to unpack/mount the ISO and then go read the .m2ts track...

it can be done,,, its just not implemented yet... not sure its a priority....

oh also, when u said "You are left with a single compressed audio and video track wrapped in a mkv."

not totally true Smile

you can keep 100% video and Audio without compression at all,
you just wrap them in the MKV container..
Video and Audio remains as is Smile

- dbracher - 2010-12-12

Hi folks,

I am a newbie at XBMC running on a Windows 7. I want to play a bluray disk stored in my HD. I tried to install the plugin placed here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420&page=19) but the XBMC not recognized it. It shows only "Apple Movie Trailers Lite" plugin.

Is there any method to play BDs under Windows XBMC ? Thanx in advance Smile

Hugs,

- eskro - 2010-12-12

wait a minute...

your BluRay stored on your Hard Drive is in ISO format?

- dbracher - 2010-12-12

eskro Wrote:wait a minute...

your BluRay stored on your Hard Drive is in ISO format?

I just copied the directories onto my HD, and I can´t find a bluray player to playback it. I use my HD as a "DVD jukebox" copying the files onto HD, and it works flawlessly. So, I want to do the same thing with my bluray collection.

Thanx in advance.

Hugs,

- eskro - 2010-12-12

well then, if you have a BluRay folder structure,

you need to install that Bluray Plugin,,,

i say download the plugin here --> http://www.bultsblog.com/BluRay-plugin-v01a.zip

dont unzip...

go in XBMC --> Addons --> install from ZIP

locate the downloaded 'BluRay-plugin-v01a.zip'

and install it....

then you'll find it under VIDEO --> VIDEO ADDONS

- dbracher - 2010-12-12

Uhmmm.... Eskro. I use Windows version and the main menu is:
SCRIPTS
WEATHER
PICTURES
VIDEOS
MUSIC
PROGRAMS
SYSTEM

I don´t see any "Addons" option.

Thanks in advance.

Hugs,

- empty_skull - 2010-12-12

hello i'm a new member .. i'm italian and i use this scritp for play bluray disc .

if you wont the script in italian , use this :

mac86project.altervista.org/plugin.makemkvbluray_italian.zip

for install :

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Installare i pacchetti necessari:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

Scaricare i file da compilare per il makemkv:

Code:
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.6.2_bin.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.6.2_oss.tar.gz

Code:
tar -xvf makemkv_v1.6.2_bin.tar.gz
tar -xvf makemkv_v1.6.2_oss.tar.gz

Code:
cd makemkv_v1.6.2_oss
sudo make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install

Code:
cd makemkv_v1.6.2_bin
sudo make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install

set static ip on your remote pc .

Code:
cd /usr/local/share/xbmc/
wget mac86project.altervista.org/plugin.makemkvbluray_italian.zip
unzip plugin.makemkvbluray_italian.zip

enjoy

- dbracher - 2010-12-12

empty_skull Wrote:hello i'm a new member .. i'm italian and i use this scritp for play bluray disc .

if you wont the script in italian , use this :

mac86project.altervista.org/plugin.makemkvbluray_italian.zip

In first place, thaks for helping.

Second, I use XBMC under WINDOWS 7, and it seems LINUX to me.

If these scripts can run on WINDOWS, how can I make it ?

Thanx one more Time.

Hugs,