Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) (/showthread.php?tid=67420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

rikkards Wrote:MakeMKVCon can rip a BD. You could ssh into the machine and then rip the BD.

Can I use WinSCP to do that or does it have to be Putty?

- peram - 2011-02-28

jz1276 Wrote:Can I use WinSCP to do that or does it have to be Putty?

WinSCP is just a *filetransfer* software. You have to log in through a terminalsoftware like putty.

regs,

peram

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

peram Wrote:WinSCP is just a *filetransfer* software. You have to log in through a terminalsoftware like putty.

regs,

peram

OK well like I said I'm a noob. Have you ever done this before? Is it complicated? Is there a guide anywhere I can use? Thanks.

- rikkards - 2011-02-28

For which part putty or ripping the blu-ray?
If it is running on a normal linux machine you could always do it in a terminal but for putty it is like telnet you put in the ip address of the machine, put in the user name hit enter, then the password hit enter. At that point you are in.

For ripping if you want the complete disk it is makemkvcon backup disc:0 <PATHTOSAVETO>

For the <PATHTOSAVETO> replace it with where you want to save it. Just make sure you have a lot of space. If you want to save it on a windows box then you will need to mount a network share to some folder. In this case Google is your friend and mount and SMB are what you want to look for.

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

rikkards Wrote:For which part putty or ripping the blu-ray?
If it is running on a normal linux machine you could always do it in a terminal but for putty it is like telnet you put in the ip address of the machine, put in the user name hit enter, then the password hit enter. At that point you are in.

For ripping if you want the complete disk it is makemkvcon backup disc:0 <PATHTOSAVETO>

For the <PATHTOSAVETO> replace it with where you want to save it. Just make sure you have a lot of space. If you want to save it on a windows box then you will need to mount a network share to some folder. In this case Google is your friend and mount and SMB are what you want to look for.

I dont think it is a normal Linux machine. All I have installed on it is XBMC Live. I know how to connect to it from my Windows based PC with Putty, but after that I would not know what to do. So what you're saying is to type in makemkvcon backup disc:0 <PATHTOSAVETO> exactly like that just replace the PATHTOSAVETO with where I want to save it? I figured I'd just save it on the XBMC Live PC and then transfer it over to my main PC with WinScp. If thats all there is to it sounds pretty simple. Thanks for your help.

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

I just tried it now... I know I had to have done it wrong. I typed in
makemkvcon backup disc:0 </home/jamesz>
and got message -bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

Now I tried... makemkvcon backup disc:0 /home/jamesz
this seems to work. This is going to take a very long time right?

- rikkards - 2011-02-28

Yep, I forgot to say to not include the <>. It's got to copy up to 50G of data. (I think that is how big a blu-ray can be).

jz1276 Wrote:I just tried it now... I know I had to have done it wrong. I typed in
makemkvcon backup disc:0 </home/jamesz>
and got message -bash: syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

Now I tried... makemkvcon backup disc:0 /home/jamesz
this seems to work. This is going to take a very long time right?

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

rikkards Wrote:Yep, I forgot to say to not include the <>. It's got to copy up to 50G of data. (I think that is how big a blu-ray can be).

Was actually pretty quick...took about 30 mins.

- jz1276 - 2011-02-28

rikkards Wrote:Yep, I forgot to say to not include the <>. It's got to copy up to 50G of data. (I think that is how big a blu-ray can be).

Can I bother you for one more question? None of the m2ts files play on anything. The files wont load into any programs either (TSMuxer, BD Rebuilder fails to encode, xmedia recode). Is it possible that I just copied the disc without decrypting it? If so, is there a code to decrypt it while it's copying? Thanks again.

- rikkards - 2011-03-01

To be honest, no idea. I know there are other programs that will identify a file, codecs etc. I think in windows Gspot is one. However I just tried it and it didn't read the file.

- jz1276 - 2011-03-01

rikkards Wrote:To be honest, no idea. I know there are other programs that will identify a file, codecs etc. I think in windows Gspot is one. However I just tried it and it didn't read the file.

Yeah, that was the problem. To decrypt, the command is makemkvcon backup --decrypt disc:0

- speed32219 - 2011-03-01

Go to addons in xbmc and add either launcher or executable. (I think)

Easiest way to to use the addon executable (Not sure if it is named that), click on it and put in the path /usr/bin/makemkv and name it backup. Click on backup you just created and it should open the makemkv window, go to tools and you need to set the paths and also need to create the SVQ folder in your home directory. If your using 1.6.5 it will download all the back SVQ files needed to play as well as backup the dvd.

Within makemkv once it scans the disk, you can remove the checkmarks on the folders you do not want. I just keep the largest one with the video and all the english subtitles and forced subtiles within it. I uncheck all others, I only speak english, so no need for all the other audio streams with subtitles, saves a bunch of space.

- jz1276 - 2011-03-01

speed32219 Wrote:Go to addons in xbmc and add either launcher or executable. (I think)

Easiest way to to use the addon executable (Not sure if it is named that), click on it and put in the path /usr/bin/makemkv and name it backup. Click on backup you just created and it should open the makemkv window, go to tools and you need to set the paths and also need to create the SVQ folder in your home directory. If your using 1.6.5 it will download all the back SVQ files needed to play as well as backup the dvd.

Within makemkv once it scans the disk, you can remove the checkmarks on the folders you do not want. I just keep the largest one with the video and all the english subtitles and forced subtiles within it. I uncheck all others, I only speak english, so no need for all the other audio streams with subtitles, saves a bunch of space.

Thanks, but I found the command line to decrypt posted in my last post

- rikkards - 2011-03-01

Question I have is how do we choose or change audio streams while watching a blu-ray? I assume it is probably the same for DVDs except I haven't found it for that yet either.

- jz1276 - 2011-03-01

rikkards Wrote:Question I have is how do we choose or change audio streams while watching a blu-ray? I assume it is probably the same for DVDs except I haven't found it for that yet either.

same way as always