Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) (/showthread.php?tid=67420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: [LINUX] HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - SP-Electronics - 2013-01-09

This is so frustrating. I can't get this to work either. I have tried multiple different versions of OpenELEC/xbmc, and 2 different versions of the plugin. I have makemkv installed, from the OpenELEC add-ons, and installed the plugin from here (as well as another version listed in the thread), and no luck with any combination tried so far. With everything installed, when I click on the plugin it pops up a window saying it is preparing the file, my bluray drive activity light comes on, but only for about 10-20 seconds, and the progress bar moves, but then when it finishes it just gives an error. With one of the plugins I tried it brings up the xbmc progress window but it never actually moves, but after 2 minutes it gives the same error. OpenELEC/xbmc knows there is a disc in the drive, because without a disc in the drive there is no play disc or browse disc option in the plugin, but with the disc in the drive those options show up, and in some cases xbmc shows the "play disc" option in the home window. ONE of the plugins would actually show the disc title (movie title), while the other would only display disc volume information without a title. Everything else with this setup works flawlessly, I just can't get the stinkin' bluray working.

Why can't this just be simple and WORK?! Lol.

I appreciate everyone's effort on this project, I just wish I was one of the lucky ones that is able to make it work. I'd really like to do away with my HD-DVR through my cable provider, AND my separate bluray player, and replace it all with an all-in-one solution.

By the way, the system is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000 with 1gb ram, an Nvidia GT610 pci-e card with 1gb ram, and a Buffalo external (usb) bluray super-multi drive (which is apparently actually an LG SATA bluray super-multi drive in a buffalo external usb housing. I have actually tried it via both USB externally, as well as removing the drive from the usb housing and installing it internally on the SATA connection, with the same results each time).

Any suggestions, ideas, help, MAGIC, is greatly appreciated.

RE: [LINUX] HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Ipaddle - 2013-01-09

I use XBMC with Openelec as well. I had it working with Dharma, but no luck with Eden or Frodo so far.
I use the Xtreamer Ultra 2 and Openelec 3.0 RC 1 (last XBMC RC 3)
What about the path to makemkvcon program? In the settings there is only the name of the file and no path visible. I am a Linux newbie and need to be pointed into the right direction.
The addon shows the "open stream" window, but nothing happens. Just as SP-Electronics explained in his post.

RE: [LINUX] HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Wozza_au - 2013-01-11

Hi
You could try downloading xming for windows http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
run a ssh session from a windows computer on the network, this will allow you to run the gui for makemkv running on the linux box, then try to rip a bluray if it works you will know makemkv installed correctly and the hardware is supported..if it doesnt work then you will see error messages in real time and it may help track down the issue

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - flash4ever - 2013-01-19

Is it possible to use a external usb Blu-ray Drive with this addon?

I have a ATV and think about to try this out...

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - extremeaudio - 2013-02-23

I have the error "One or more streams cannot be played. Please check log file for details.". I have attached the xbmc log. Could someone please see what might be going wrong.

Also, since the process involves converting the Blu Ray disc to mkv and then playing, would it be possible to save the mkv? This way the program would double up as a ripper, no?

And lastly, where does the intermediate mkv content reside? My openelec machine runs off a 8GB thumb drive. If i try to play a Blu Ray wont this take up all the space on the thumb drive? Besides, is it not detrimental to a thumb drive's life if it gets constantly wirtten to?

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=1134

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - extremeaudio - 2013-02-25

No one? I'm really frustrated at not being able to play Blu Ray discs with my openelec box Sad

Please help!

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - Ipaddle - 2013-02-25

(2013-02-25, 15:50)extremeaudio Wrote: No one? I'm really frustrated at not being able to play Blu Ray discs with my openelec box Sad

Please help!

I would really like to help. I have the same issues and I am now using makemkv on my PC to rip my bluray discs and then play these files from my NAS. That works just fine. I hope, that the next version of XBMC ( Gotham) will come up with anything to solve this or make this work stable.

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - extremeaudio - 2013-02-26

Hope someone has some pity on us. The whole idea of openelec is to eliminate the PC and operate the device as an appliance. But I'm completely baffled as to what i need to do to get it to work. After all I WILL be buying Blu Ray discs and popping them in so I dont understand the illegitimacy of the situation!?! Over at the openelec forums, there's some talk about how it is known to work but cannot be discussed openly. I don't mind someone sending me a PM!! THIS, and the mystery on how to power on a PC using a USB IR receiver are completely impossible for me to comprehend!

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - KillerSkunk - 2013-03-13

(2013-02-26, 14:05)extremeaudio Wrote: ... the mystery on how to power on a PC using a USB IR receiver are completely impossible for me to comprehend!

The mystery of an USB IR Reciever powering up the PC, isn't that hard to explain.
For a long time motherboards aren't cut of power when they're "turned off",
u might have notice this, it's often indicated with a led on the motherboard (iow inside your pc case).
This has a specific reason so it can be awokened, for instance awake on lan.

The USB IR reciever my MS-TECH mc1200 is using actually connects between the wires going from your psu to your motherboard.
Doing this it comes in the same state as the motherboard does when it goes 'off', iow it remains powered.
With being powered it can detect when the on/off button is pressed on the ir and can tell the motherboard it needs to awake.

That's the whole trick \o/

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - anarchoi - 2013-03-28

any tutorial for windows ?

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - costi - 2013-04-04

Will this work for any commercial disc?

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - fiveisalive - 2013-04-04

(2013-04-04, 15:53)costi Wrote: Will this work for any commercial disc?

Most, especially if you buy the full MakeMKV keep getting the updates. I've tested it with multiple commercial Blu-Rays, including one's that were released in the last 6 months and it works fine.

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - da.schizzle - 2013-04-17

cant get it to work on my openelec box too..
i have used the libaacs method before fine (with the keydbblabliblub in the right location) and could play my blurays fine. without menu of course but enough to live with it. Now i got game of thrones bd for my birthday and they wont work with the built in method... guess it needs a newer master key. as far as i understand the whole key thing i cant play any other new blurays anymore that i havent played before too. Until i get a new key but the newest i could find is from april last yar.

Now i tried makemkv but i cant get it to work. Installed the plugin and makemkv addon but after getting the disc "raped" by the drive for 3 Minutes it just stops and wont continue, i was hearing the HBO intro sound once but wasnt seeing anything and xbmc crashed right after it too.

i would even love to pay for a working solution but i guess i have to get a standalone player now Sad

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - SamBotte - 2013-05-01

I can get the plugin to play the Bluray but there is no sound.
I have sound everywhere else in xbmc except for Blurays.

Any advice on what to do?

RE: HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon) - cw-kid - 2013-05-04

Hi

I just installed the Blu-ray add-on but am not sure what to do with it?

How do I install MakeMKV ?

"A working install of MakeMKV. If you're installing under Linux, make sure you install both the source and the binary package, otherwise the commandline tool won't be there."

Also I can only see a Play Disc menu item when in the Confluence skin, how would I also get this menu item in Aeon MQ4?

I assume the Play Disc menu item is part of XBMC that appears when a optical disc is inserted and not something the Blu-ray add-on adds to the system?

Thanks