Kodi Community Forum
What happened to resolution "Best Available"? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: What happened to resolution "Best Available"? (/showthread.php?tid=67902)

Pages: 1 2

What happened to resolution "Best Available"? - airjrdn - 2010-01-19

I just upgraded to a PC running Windows 7 and XBMC. Using my old XBox, I'd run a resolution of "Best Available". It resized certain movies to use my full 4:3 screen correctly. Now, I seem to be in 1080i mode all the time, and with 4:3 content, I'm stuck with bars on all four sides of of my movies. Zooming helps, but still cuts the top and bottom off too "soon".

Is there a way to get to that setting in 9.11? I can't seem to find it. There's a reference to that functionality here.

- jmarshall - 2010-01-20

If your 4:3 content has black bars on all 4 sides, then they're encoded in the movie. That's fine, just use the "crop black bars" feature.

- airjrdn - 2010-01-20

That worked for a widescreen show, it expanded to fill the screen horizontally. When I tried a 4:3 show though, it just shows at a normal 4:3 ratio, with black all the way around as if I had a widescreen television.

- steelman1991 - 2010-01-20

jmarshall Wrote:If your 4:3 content has black bars on all 4 sides, then they're encoded in the movie. That's fine, just use the "crop black bars" feature.

I have several 4:3 videos which show these attributes and the 'crop black bars' feature works with them, however I have found that despite checking the 'set as default' command (in the video OSD) the command has to be manually reset each time. Is this a know behaviour with that particular command, can it be changed in the relevant xml file, or should I report as a bug?

- airjrdn - 2010-01-20

Confirmed, the setting isn't sticking for mine either, and these videos were created exactly the same way.

- spiff - 2010-01-20

oh i'm sure the setting is sticky. however, we calculate the bars when the setting is toggled. the first frame of a video is very often black which means sanity says no to the calced values.

spiff Wrote:oh i'm sure the setting is sticky. however, we calculate the bars when the setting is toggled. the first frame of a video is very often black which means sanity says no to the calced values.

? Oo Is the command supposed to be retained in the settings or not.

- airjrdn - 2010-01-20

The thumbnails it produces aren't from the first frame. Would it be possible to use that same spot for determining the bar setting?

- spiff - 2010-01-20

yes, something like that must be performed.

OK guys I'm either thick or stupid (some would say both probably), but I'm obviously missing the point here - at least certainly the one I enquired about?

Should this setting remain default if checked and 'use as default for all movies' is triggered - or does it have to be manually checked for each movie/tv show.

- spiff - 2010-01-20

read what i wrote, then engage your brain.

spiff Wrote:read what i wrote, then engage your brain.

No need to attempt to live up to your avatar comment, nor any need to be quite such a pompous, arrogant, asshole - we don't all have the knowledge or expertise that you obvioulsy have.

Perhaps stick to the developing and leave answering questions to others more suited to the task - I've noticed you behaving in this manner on other threads as well.

I have read your reponse and it still makes no sense to me - all I ask is that you re-read my question and provide a straight yes/no answer - not another pompous/holier than thou approach.

- spiff - 2010-01-20

fine. yes. apparently the other guy understood it just fine, but hey! it must be me doing something wrong eh.

spiff Wrote:fine. yes. apparently the other guy understood it just fine, but hey! it must be me doing something wrong eh.

I didn't at any time say you had done something wrong, just that I didn't understand the response. It might just prove that we all have different levels of understanding.

OK on the basis that the answer is yes that it should retain the setting globally, then if the OP has no issue with it I have. Its not retaining the setting. Anyone any reasonable suggestions on how to resolve.

Thanks

- spiff - 2010-01-20

i explained
1) that the setting is sticky
2) why that doesn't help you one bit
3) in a follow up question; what needs to be done to remedy the problem.