Kodi Community Forum
JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: JSON-RPC (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=174)
+---- Thread: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=68263)

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Montellese - 2012-09-18

(2012-09-18, 15:40)Millencolin007 Wrote: But it would be a good thing if Files.GetDirectory always returns the artist the same way. Otherwise it does not match the definition from the json schema and it prevents you to use some higher level api to parse json objects directly to java.
I thought that I had adjusted that in the JSON schema but maybe I'm wrong. Will fix. In your code you should just be able to check whether it's an array or a string and go from there.

(2012-09-18, 15:40)Millencolin007 Wrote: I already use the addons:// path in Music Pump to browse through the music and video addons but it has some issues(pops up progress dialogs on xbmc, search masks are hidden behind the progress dialog etc...) Those dialogs also make json-rpc block sometimes until the dialogs are clicked away. Far from perfect but it works

AFAIK that's a generally known bug in XBMC which should be fixed since today (or yesterday, I don't remember).

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - roli - 2012-09-18

Thank you for answering my question that fast. But I have another one. How can I get the filename of the media that is currently played? Or usually called label when you are browsing all files. The "Player.GetItem" can return many details but I don't see any option to get the file name. Problem is because my media is not sorted in library - I am just too lazy, so I am using XBMC to only play files. So I need the filename.

EDIT: Just figured out that passing an empty array in the request will return the label and type. Is that considered a "valid" solution?

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Tolriq - 2012-09-18

(2012-09-18, 15:43)Montellese Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 15:40)Millencolin007 Wrote: But it would be a good thing if Files.GetDirectory always returns the artist the same way. Otherwise it does not match the definition from the json schema and it prevents you to use some higher level api to parse json objects directly to java.
I thought that I had adjusted that in the JSON schema but maybe I'm wrong. Will fix. In your code you should just be able to check whether it's an array or a string and go from there.

There's case like direct Class mapping in high level Json usage or direct streaming parsing in low level where checking if string or array or null depending on case is not really possible or needs very ugly hacks with bad perfomances.

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Millencolin007 - 2012-09-18

(2012-09-18, 17:57)Tolriq Wrote: There's case like direct Class mapping in high level Json usage or direct streaming parsing in low level where checking if string or array or null depending on case is not really possible or needs very ugly hacks with bad perfomances.

I know. I am using gson since I was already familiar with this library and liked its direct json to class mapping.

Gson has a streaming mode which is nice for large data sets since it reads junk by junk. There is a function peek() which allows you to test the type of an object before processing it. This works actually really well but is a low level api which requires to write a lot of (boring) code.

I was trying to use direct class mapping for all requests which are not performance critical and used two different classes, one for api v4 and one for api v5 (after the big json change in august). But since Files.GetDirectory can return a string or an array in api level v5 this wasn't working properly. I think that it is possible to write a small deserializer to handle the array/string case properly. I just have to look into it.

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Montellese - 2012-09-18

(2012-09-18, 17:47)roli Wrote: Thank you for answering my question that fast. But I have another one. How can I get the filename of the media that is currently played? Or usually called label when you are browsing all files. The "Player.GetItem" can return many details but I don't see any option to get the file name. Problem is because my media is not sorted in library - I am just too lazy, so I am using XBMC to only play files. So I need the filename.

EDIT: Just figured out that passing an empty array in the request will return the label and type. Is that considered a "valid" solution?

"label" and "type" are always returned because the provide the most basic data. You can also request the "file" property if you want to get the path to the file including the filename.

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Tolriq - 2012-09-18

(2012-09-18, 19:24)Millencolin007 Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 17:57)Tolriq Wrote: There's case like direct Class mapping in high level Json usage or direct streaming parsing in low level where checking if string or array or null depending on case is not really possible or needs very ugly hacks with bad perfomances.

I know. I am using gson since I was already familiar with this library and liked its direct json to class mapping.

Gson has a streaming mode which is nice for large data sets since it reads junk by junk. There is a function peek() which allows you to test the type of an object before processing it. This works actually really well but is a low level api which requires to write a lot of (boring) code.

I was trying to use direct class mapping for all requests which are not performance critical and used two different classes, one for api v4 and one for api v5 (after the big json change in august). But since Files.GetDirectory can return a string or an array in api level v5 this wasn't working properly. I think that it is possible to write a small deserializer to handle the array/string case properly. I just have to look into it.

For database sync I use direct streaming from Jackson that is the speediest way ATM and using the less memory / cpu and GC Smile and yes handling such case is really a pain in ..... Sad

There's no way out of this situation that will please everyone. On one hand you get different types for "artist" depending on what path you retrieve on the other hand you get different results for "artist objects". Furthermore there's no easy way to handle this in xbmc either because if artist information is retrieved from the database, the "artist" property is stored as a string whereas in other cases (album etc) it is stored as an array. Changing that in core might break other stuff (which is why generic properties are a PITA).

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Tolriq - 2012-09-19

Well since for this there's way to resolve this is not a total break so not a major problem, the more complicated thing is to find those specials as the null for streams that we might not have in our testing libraries and will break parsing until handled Sad

I don't know how, but perhaps adding some warning in the introspect would help

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Montellese - 2012-09-19

I agree that there needs to be some kind of rule on what to do if a certain property doesn't exist for a specific item or is empty. The problem with "is empty" is that there's not always a proper definition of "empty". Maybe someone set some specific string to "" on purpose so on one hand it's empty but on the other it's intended so it's not equal to "doesn't exist".

As you all seem to have problems handling null'ed properties would it be better to just drop the properties which would return null?

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Tolriq - 2012-09-19

For direct parsing and object mapping this would be easier yes Smile

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Montellese - 2012-09-21

OK I've pushed a commit that will make sure no "null" values are returned in a JSON-RPC response. Furthermore "streamdetails" will no longer be returned if there are no stream details available.

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Tolriq - 2012-09-21

Thanks Smile

Any idea of jmarshall return date ?

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Mizaki - 2012-09-21

Lets see how it's broken mine ;p

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - Skindred - 2012-09-22

(2012-05-15, 14:35)Montellese Wrote:
(2012-05-15, 14:10)dwagner Wrote: I'm having issues with the nightly builds (currently I am using the 12 May nightly build). I use Simple REST Client to do JSON testing in chrome, and it keeps giving me:
415 Unsupported Media Type

If I go back to the stable release of XBMC Eden, everything works fine.

Please always first take a look at this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98551 before you start using JSON-RPC with nightly builds. It will give you an overview of what has changed and in this case it will also give you the answer to your problem:
(2012-03-25, 13:51)Montellese Wrote: Tuesday, March 27th 2012:
Commit: adff92756087a50bb116
I just pushed a major refactor of how the webserver works internally. Currently this has only one effect on how it works and that affects JSON-RPC clients using JSON-RPC over HTTP. You need to make sure you set the Content-Type in the HTTP header to "application/json" and not something like "multipart/form-data" because that is plain wrong. The new implementation has the functionality to parse POST data for certain content-types (including application/json, multipart/form-data and application/x-www-form-urlencoded) and will therefore fail if the content-type does not match the actual POST data.

Hi Montellese,

I too am having this issue where I get 415 Unsupported Media Type

However, the Content-Type is set to application/json-rpc

I am using jsonrpclib (python) by jmarshall, and the Content-Type seems to be hardcoded into the egg.

So my question here is; is it possible to add application/json-rpc to the list?
I have installed Eden Stable, and functionality still works there,
so it's just a matter of recognizing application/json-rpc as json aswell.

Kind regards,

Skindred

RE: JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC - N3MIS15 - 2012-09-22

you could simply change the lib.
Change line 120 in jsonrpc.py to:
Code:
connection.putheader("Content-Type", "application/json")

While changing the lib is not the best solution.. If you include the lib in your app it should be safe. This is how we got around it in Maraschino.
I also wrote my own class to behave exactly like jsonrpclib if you're interested, it does not support batch requests tho. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135074&pid=1138156#pid1138156