Kodi Community Forum
Post your setup pictures - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Post your setup pictures (/showthread.php?tid=68514)

- Martijn - 2011-09-27

@LionRed
Very nice outside view indeed. A lot of us would kill for that Wink

About the HTPC box. I have three of those Silverstone LC17 cases.
Think they very beutifull to look at and well build.
I use one for HTPC, one for my 12TB server and one for my high power workstation.

- jackhulk - 2011-09-29

ZombieRobot Wrote:The skin is Aeon Showmix

Thanks Zombie, going to give that one a whirl!

- NotShorty - 2011-10-01

I've had a few upgrades since my original post, so here goes!

In addition to the hardware in my signature, I've got the following audio setup:
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D411, Front: Polk Audio Monitor50, Center: Polk Audio CS1, Rear: Bose Acoustimass 5, Subwoofer: Infinity PS-8

I find that XBMC is adequate for half-sbs 3D mkv's, but for Blu-Ray 3D (which play beautifully thanks to hardware decoding from my GT520), I use PowerDVD Ultra 11 and have 4 pairs of DLP-link glasses from ultimate3dheaven.

Thanks for checking out my setup!

- htpc guy - 2011-10-01

^^^^^

Never seen a TV in the window. I makes me worry about two things.

1) Eye strain and glare.

2) People that walk by and say, "Look at that big ass TV in the window. Its going to be mine when that guy goes to work tomorrow."

- thethirdnut - 2011-10-01

Quote:2) People that walk by and say, "Look at that big ass TV in the window. Its going to be mine when that guy goes to work tomorrow."
Laugh

- NotShorty - 2011-10-02

htpc guy Wrote:^^^^^

Never seen a TV in the window. I makes me worry about two things.

1) Eye strain and glare.

2) People that walk by and say, "Look at that big ass TV in the window. Its going to be mine when that guy goes to work tomorrow."

1) The pic I posted is with the screensaver "20% dim" active (long exposure shot because it's actually pretty dark, even in the middle of the day). Although the black-out curtains don't make it pitch black, they do their job well enough that eye strain and glare have never been a problem. Heat during the day is another issue. Thankfully it's autumn so I don't have to worry about the sun heating it up too much.

2) It's the back window, so only a few neighbors can see it. Point taken though; time to stop procrastinating and get some renter's insurance Wink

- npggefvert - 2011-10-04

Quote:2) People that walk by and say, "Look at that big ass TV in the window. Its going to be mine when that guy goes to work tomorrow."

Agreed - I also won't put any large electronics boxes out for the trash post-purchase. I break them down and put them in other things. We live in a high crime area and I don't need a 43" TV box sitting in front of my porch with the trashcans on trash day, especially when we put it out the night before.

- Martijn - 2011-10-04

npggefvert Wrote:Agreed - I also won't put any large electronics boxes out for the trash post-purchase. I break them down and put them in other things. We live in a high crime area and I don't need a 43" TV box sitting in front of my porch with the trashcans on trash day, especially when we put it out the night before.

Well at least they'll have the original box to go with your (ex)TV Wink

- The_Dogg - 2011-10-04

npggefvert Wrote:Agreed - I also won't put any large electronics boxes out for the trash post-purchase. I break them down and put them in other things. We live in a high crime area and I don't need a 43" TV box sitting in front of my porch with the trashcans on trash day, especially when we put it out the night before.

or you just put your box to a neighbor you don't like too much, so they can get breaking-in Tongue

- Gr8rtek - 2011-10-06

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Ya that is... im looking to set up ambient light that matches the screen... Smile
Kaitlyn2004 -

There was a project on either Gizmodo.com or Engadget.com where someone did this using similar lights as hagur and an arduino board to control the color changes. I didn't read through the full project, but it sounded pretty manageable.

- testmetest - 2011-10-11

LionRed Wrote:Image
Can you explain what this is?

Is there a motherboard and CPU hidden in there?
How did you connect 14 HD's to it?
Which case is that?
One power supply can connect to so many HD's?

Thanks so much, I want to learn!

- Superorb - 2011-10-11

^^ That's the front of the case opened up. Behind the drives is where the motherboard, PSU, etc lives. A PSU with enough amps can power tons of drives. People routinely use 1 PSU to run 24 hard drives in unRAID setups.

- testmetest - 2011-10-11

Superorb Wrote:^^ That's the front of the case opened up. Behind the drives is where the motherboard, PSU, etc lives. A PSU with enough amps can power tons of drives. People routinely use 1 PSU to run 24 hard drives in unRAID setups.
1. So for power people are using molex to SATA splitters? I got a Seasonic X750 which people said is a very nice PSU, but it only has 8 SATA power connectors.
2. How do you connect 24 drives to a motherboard?

Sorry if this is a rehash.

- Superorb - 2011-10-11

testmetest Wrote:1. So for power people are using molex to SATA splitters? I got a Seasonic X750 which people said is a very nice PSU, but it only has 8 SATA power connectors.
2. How do you connect 24 drives to a motherboard?

Sorry if this is a rehash.
Most people with this many drives use a backplane. three 5.25 bays can fit five 3.5" hard drives. You only need to connect 1-2 power cables to the backplane.

You use a controller card like this SAS Card so you get 8 drives for 1 PCI-e slot. Two of those cards plus 6 SATA connectors on the mobo and you're set.

- aptalca - 2011-10-11

The_Dogg Wrote:or you just put your box to a neighbor you don't like too much, so they can get breaking-in Tongue

Dude, that's pretty mean.

I am glad my neighbors are nice and they like me Smile