Kodi Community Forum
Post your setup pictures - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Post your setup pictures (/showthread.php?tid=68514)

my XBMC setup - omega9380 - 2011-10-30

Not the prettiest setup, but it works for me. My setup is a custom built box made from a Zotac 8300 mobo, Athon64 3200+ proc, and 2 GB ram. I installed a Realtek PCI Express Gigabit card (cant wait until Ubuntu fixes it so it loads the 8168 driver instead of the 8169 driver (no GB on that one)), all crammed into an old HP case I had lying around. The boot drive is a 4GB CompactFlash card in a CF-SATA adapter (Thanks Newegg!). My TV is a 42' Philips LCD. I have a MediaGate MCE remote with USB IR. This box doubles as my fileserver, thanks to the power of Ubuntu. I installed Transmission-Daemon, Webmin, Samba file sharing, and Apache. Attached 2 2tb drives in eSata enclosures, and installed a 1tb HDD. It looks like crap, but runs like a dream. Pics to follow Smile

- Squa7ch - 2011-10-30

I know it's a little off-subject but what is a good HDTV for under $700? It's going in my bedroom so I was thinking 40-43" should be more than enough...see a lot of 720p sets but their native resolution is 1024x768 o_O

- TheAstronaut - 2011-10-30

Squa7ch Wrote:I know it's a little off-subject but what is a good HDTV for under $700? It's going in my bedroom so I was thinking 40-43" should be more than enough...see a lot of 720p sets but their native resolution is 1024x768 o_O

I have a Sceptre 42" that I picked up a while back for around $500. It has some light bleed in the corners, but the picture quality is great at 1080p 60Hz. I'm very happy with it thus far.

- David1 - 2011-11-01

nchall Wrote:Looks good. Am doing something similar with an HP Mini 311. How do you run the laptop in clamshell mode?

I open it and start the computer, just close it when music or video plays. (Of course disabling all sleep modes if you are running on windows)
The dv2000 also has remote control. I have external display for videos.

- krstuns - 2011-11-05

Pi60+Bs60, Gamut D200, Lavry DA11

- jackhulk - 2011-11-05

I like it so because there are not one, but two pairs of speakers and two pairs are always better than one Smile

- krstuns - 2011-11-05

Thanks! It sounds very very good.

- bencorn - 2011-11-05

- 5meohd - 2011-11-06

^^ I like it.. where did you get the screen?

- bencorn - 2011-11-08

It's made by greywolf but I'm not sure where it came from. A friend got it secondhand when he got his projector and when it burned out he gave it to me to use with mine. I see them on craigslist used for pretty cheap sometimes.

- DTK1337 - 2011-11-08

Love all the pics it is definitely giving me some inspiration for my future build.

Three quick questions;
1. Is RAID really necessary for video streaming? Seems like a waste of space and with the newly adjusted hard drive prices it is now no longer economically feasible.

2. For those that have cabinets built into the wall did you have to hire a carpenter to do it or was it relatively straight forward. I am thinking that storing the large components in the room behind is the way to go to hide wires. Is cooling a major issue with the built in cabinets?

3. How loud are your projectors? In my perfect world I would like a ceiling mounted projector above my bed but am concerned that it may be pretty loud after long use.

Thanks

- TheAstronaut - 2011-11-08

DTK1337 Wrote:Love all the pics it is definitely giving me some inspiration for my future build.

Three quick questions;
1. Is RAID really necessary for video streaming? Seems like a waste of space and with the newly adjusted hard drive prices it is now no longer economically feasible.

2. For those that have cabinets built into the wall did you have to hire a carpenter to do it or was it relatively straight forward. I am thinking that storing the large components in the room behind is the way to go to hide wires. Is cooling a major issue with the built in cabinets?

3. How loud are your projectors? In my perfect world I would like a ceiling mounted projector above my bed but am concerned that it may be pretty loud after long use.

Thanks

I went with RAID5 in my set up for the data redundancy benefits. I had a hard drive filled with media die on me once before and I was determined to not let it happen again. With RAID5, I can lose one drive and still Reconstruct the data after replacing the drive.

- npggefvert - 2011-11-09

TheAstronaut Wrote:I went with RAID5 in my set up for the data redundancy benefits. I had a hard drive filled with media die on me once before and I was determined to not let it happen again. With RAID5, I can lose one drive and still Reconstruct the data after replacing the drive.

I have everything in a RAID5 too, but please keep it backed up... If you have a hardware (or software) failure that affects the integrity of the entire array, you are still screwed. No RAID setup is a replacement for backups.

Everything on the primary server is a RAID5, my secondary server (a re-purposed Win7 desktop) is used for running Windows applications and hosts individual 1.5 TB drives. My file structure allows the data from the RAID5 to be backed up across these drives in segments, and if one of the drives happens to fail I have spares I can swap in and re-fill from the main server. Having the backups in a Windows environment also allows me to (easily - I know I can use Rsync and various other methods to backup my NAS, but I deal with computers and the networks they sit on 8-9 hours a day, and the occasional 2-4 AM emergency call, and I want my home solutions to be simpler and easier) use Cobian and scripts to keep the backup drives up to date automatically.

- bencorn - 2011-11-09

I used raid 5 for the same reasons listed above. Lost a drive before and didn't want it to happen again. As for projectors being loud it really depends on which one you get and how sensitive you are to notice it. I have an epson 8100 and even on high fan mode I can barely notice it's on right above my head. I hear it kick on and then it basically turns into white noise to me. Can't hear it at all once I have a movie going.

- eMTea - 2011-11-14

Here is my living room:

Samsung 46" LCD (LE46A656)
HTPC - Win7 + XBMC 10.0 Dharma
Yamaha RX-V2067
Front: Klipsch RB-81
Surround: Klipsch RS-42
Sub: 2x DIY Audiopulse Epic 12" + Anti-Mode 8033S Sub EQ
Bettercables HDMI
Logitech Harmony 785

The subwoofers in the picture is replaced with the subs in my signature.
A little bit messy, but a picture showing the new subwoofers.
Frequenzy response with the new woofers: