Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- iblastoff - 2010-02-08

running build 27527 on a stock acer revo 3610 (nvidia ion 330, 2 gig ram, windows 7 64-bit home premium) with no problems so far.

i can see dxva acceleration working on some 4gig 720p .mkv files (cpu ~15-20%) but on other smaller 1 gig .mkv files (SD) i can see it go up to (40-50%). they both still play back smoothly though. whats the best way to share video file info (and specifically what would you need to know about said video file?) i have mediainfo already.

experiencing no green screens, artifacts, half/quarter screen issues at all. great effort thus far!

- nekrosoft13 - 2010-02-08

elupus Wrote:Yea, didn't say anything sadly

thanks for looking, will continue testing all new builds

- cotdagoo - 2010-02-08

elupus Wrote:Those of you that get that small sized playback. What happens if you change zoom or aspect ratio during playback?

for me it just zooms the video using the top left 1/4 of the screen and never reclaims the full dimensions of the screen.

gigabyte ga-e7aum-ds2h with geforce 9400 onboard hdmi out

- nadspink - 2010-02-08

why is there a need for two dxva players? dsplayer is farther along and actually working so why not drop this and just help out on that project. makes no sense to have both just so you can say mine comes with xbmc in native setup.

- johoja - 2010-02-08

nadspink Wrote:why is there a need for two dxva players? dsplayer is farther along and actually working so why not drop this and just help out on that project. makes no sense to have both just so you can say mine comes with xbmc in native setup.

They work very differently.

This is already a part of DVDPlayer (the default player for XBMC) so it supports almost everything out of the box, ie) subtitles, clock mode, adjust refresh rate etc. And does not depend on any external codecs or filters, everything is built into xbmc.

DSPlayer uses DirectShow, so it requires extra filters, etc. Currently I believe it does not support subtitles.

There's pros, and cons. I think having both is reasonable, and smart.

- nadspink - 2010-02-08

having both would be nice but isn't needed. if both teams combined their efforts and went with dsplayer since it already works save for subs and some very minor bugs as apposed to spending days on trying to figure out why only half or less of your screen is showing video and on which card you are using, well then we might already have fully working dxva. i'm not trying to bash anyones efforts it just seems like misplaced energy to work on a lesser product when a better is already out there.

- rcoops - 2010-02-08

nadspink Wrote:having both would be nice but isn't needed. if both teams combined their efforts and went with dsplayer since it already works save for subs and some very minor bugs as apposed to spending days on trying to figure out why only half or less of your screen is showing video and on which card you are using, well then we might already have fully working dxva. i'm not trying to bash anyones efforts it just seems like misplaced energy to work on a lesser product when a better is already out there.

Hmm, on the other hand as mentioned before there are two different players for a reason. The first one DVDplayer is the current default player in XBMC and will therefore support all current tricks and gadgets there is a lot to say for that the only small problem is the small screen some people are seeing (which I am sure will get resolved as soon as a Dev can replicate this behavior on their own machine)
The other is DSplayer a direct show implementation that uses external codecs to play the video. Completely different from what DVDplayer does but it doe allow for petty much any direct show filter to be used which certainly for the more exotic types of codec could be quite useful. Combining the two is like suggesting that Media player classic and the ffmpeg crew combines their efforts. They are similar but far from the same, thus the benefit would be very small.

There is more then one way under Windows to play a video file and to make use of the GPU to do the number crunching. XBMC will have two different players that both use their own way to offload the work to the GPU, you can argue that it is a waist of time since having one player that does that achieves the goal of offloading to the GPU. But the question is if that was the main goal behind this development?
I would think that DSplayer's developer(s) see the ability to use external codecs as the main goal, where the DVDplayer developer(s) see the improvement of the DVDplayer (without the external codecs) as their main goal. The fact that both end up providing a way to offload work to the GPU is just great but might not be considered the main goal behind all the effort expended by the developers.

- anconakip - 2010-02-08

Same problem here (Asrock ION 330HT) with build 27500 on Win 7 64bit. Is there a solution?

glenner05 Wrote:I just installed the latest trunk, all HD files play fine (H264), however, playing a simple dvd (vob files or straight from disc) is not smooth at all. Lots of stuttering, seems something to do with dxva upscaling. I get the best results selecting bilinair, but its still not smooth. Under linux i could select lancos optimized without any hickup.... my machine is a pov ion 330 (like the asrock). Is hardware upscaling already supported with these builds, and of nu or not yet working fine, can i disable the upscaling somewhere in order to play dvd's for now?

- Skindred - 2010-02-08

Balthazar2k4 Wrote:I have to ask, if you are running a Core i7 920, why do you need DXVA? I have a 920 @ 4ghz and it isn't breaking a sweat with 1080p. Just curious.

The issue isn't CPU related, it is GPU related.

It might be that other users, running a slower CPU, but still having the HD 4890, might want to try this Wink
Plus it might also help in debugging for other ATI cards.
You can never have too much information, when it comes to debugging.

Plus that I'm also the kind of person to test everything ^^
I am running 4 SVN builds of XBMC right now, trying different things,
learning as I compile.

This puppy wont go stable without intensive testing on various platforms and hardware configurations!

- ashlar - 2010-02-08

nadspink Wrote:having both would be nice but isn't needed. if both teams combined their efforts and went with dsplayer since it already works save for subs and some very minor bugs as apposed to spending days on trying to figure out why only half or less of your screen is showing video and on which card you are using, well then we might already have fully working dxva. i'm not trying to bash anyones efforts it just seems like misplaced energy to work on a lesser product when a better is already out there.
Was actually counting the days till messages like this started to appear.
With all due respect to tiben's and blinkeb's incredible work, DSPlayer is probably as far removed from XBMC's philosophy as anything that's ever been supported by XBMC.

When you start messing with DirectShow filters you know you are asking for trouble. It can be perfected, it can be simplified, but you are removed from a "ready out of the box" experience which has always been XBMC's goal.

Am I happy to see DSPlayer developed? Definitely so. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it. Would I like that to be the only way XBMC for Windows would go? Surely not. If I had to choose between the two, I'd always prefer to stay with the "built in" approach. The one that DSPlayer can't apparently provide (unless we are talking about a major fork in development, which I don't see happening).

- h3llsp4wn - 2010-02-08

Just a big "Thank you" for this awesome job! I'm running on an ATI HD3200 (Catalyst 10.1), Windows 7 32bit and everything is working perfectly for me (although I didn't try all my movies). Been using the DSPlayer for a while and it's improving quite well - but I love the integrated solution without a need to add something Big Grin

Cheers,

h3ll

... and the subtitles are working too ...

- Tartifless - 2010-02-08

Hello,
I still have some issues with some videos that make XBMC dump (W7 64 bits, NVIDIA 9400 and latest XBMC release).
Before posting a debug log (not at home right now) could someone sum up what should be installed other than XBMC ?
- VISUAL BASIC C++
- ffdshow
- etc...

I saw a lot of commentary but none says exactly what we have to check outside of XBMC.

Thanks a lot and great work.

Ben

- lestat1977uk - 2010-02-08

SlaveUnit

Sorry for late response, i am running server 2008 but do have 2 other machines running Windows 7 i will try it on those, maybe it just isn't compatible with server 2008

- steelman1991 - 2010-02-08

Tartifless Wrote:Hello,
I still have some issues with some videos that make XBMC dump (W7 64 bits, NVIDIA 9400 and latest XBMC release).
Before posting a debug log (not at home right now) could someone sum up what should be installed other than XBMC ?
- VISUAL BASIC C++
- ffdshow
- etc...

I saw a lot of commentary but none says exactly what we have to check outside of XBMC.

Thanks a lot and great work.

Ben
No other programs, codecs required, purely a current svn version of xbmc.

- steelman1991 - 2010-02-08

lestat1977uk Wrote:SlaveUnit

Sorry for late response, i am running server 2008 but do have 2 other machines running Windows 7 i will try it on those, maybe it just isn't compatible with server 2008

lestat1977uk - did you see my reply (Post #264) regarding where to see the DXVA option - it is in Settings\Video\Playback\Render Settings and the option to set DXVA is in there. For reasons of clarity it doesn't say DXVA2, just DXVA - as elupus couldn't be bothered appending the '2' (his words not mine).