Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- elupus - 2010-03-23

Sadly the updated ffmpeg didn't help for any of the issues i've seen myself. Atleast i now know there is some issue in our code, since vlc plays the same video just fine using dxva.

For the more savvy of you, testing VLC for playback of video's you have issues with are of interest. You must enable hw accel support in it's advanced settings for the ffmpeg/libavcodec codec for it to use it.

If the issue can be replicated there, the issue is in our current ffmpeg implementation, if not, it's in our code.

- rd1979 - 2010-03-23

Sorry to ask here, but I've looked everywhere.................

Where can I get a recent build with these changes so I can test, there haven't been any nightly builds in a while.

- steelman1991 - 2010-03-23

Nowhere. Unless you are prepared to build from svn, no new builds are being produced, until after the merge.

elupus Wrote:Sadly the updated ffmpeg didn't help for any of the issues i've seen myself. Atleast i now know there is some issue in our code, since vlc plays the same video just fine using dxva.

For the more savvy of you, testing VLC for playback of video's you have issues with are of interest. You must enable hw accel support in it's advanced settings for the ffmpeg/libavcodec codec for it to use it.

If the issue can be replicated there, the issue is in our current ffmpeg implementation, if not, it's in our code.

Did a quick test of some files with mixed results - the web-dl TV episodes from Apple all played flawlessly through vlc. VC-1 and raw AVC (straight Bluray remuxes) playback still problematic, pixelation and stuttering playback.

- elupus - 2010-03-23

steelman1991 and you are sure vlc was using hw accel? (just compare cpu usage between the setting enabled and disabled, or log at their log's)

elupus Wrote:steelman1991 and you are sure vlc was using hw accel? (just compare cpu usage between the setting enabled and disabled, or log at their log's)
elupus - 'accelerated video output (Overlay)' enabled or disabled makes no difference to the file playback and little difference in cpu usage - anywhere from 35 to 75% usage.

Apple files (Web-DL) playback flawlessely (no green screen or pixelation) with cpu usage around 10 to 20% with peaks up to 35%

All files are in mkv container, both VC-1 and AVC as noted earlier.

I am running on Vista x86/ATI HD4670.

EDIT

elupus just had a look on the vlc forums looks like VLC doesn't support HA for ATI cards - only nvidia - see here http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=70424&start=75 - about half-way down the page.

- kimp93 - 2010-03-23

steelman,

You have to use 1.1 vlc to enable HA from codec setting as you linked. I also tested vlc 1.1 with win 7 / ATI 4850. Videos are all pixelated or green blocked with HA. Also tested with i3-540, No HA. It may take a while to support ATI and Intel due to lack of documentation and wired implementation.

I just hope that elupus figure out a way to make them magically work. ;P

elupus,
If you think a debug log from i3-540 with H55 is helpful, please let me know.

Kimp93 - you're bang on, no change to the playback characteristics at all, still green screen.

+2 for elupus the wizard

- vanvonno - 2010-03-23

I did try VLC 1.1 with Intel graphics G45.
It is not working, no difference between HA on or off.

- bradvido88 - 2010-03-23

Forgive my beginner's question, but does this DXVA hardware acceleration help when playing MPEG-2 videos? I have tuner cards that capture over-the-air high def content in this format.

- h3llsp4wn - 2010-03-23

Well - installed VLC, but can´t get video acceleration to work on ATI - therefore video playback is fine in VLC, compared to the green block issue on those L5.1 files in XBMC. Any hint on how to get it enabled in VLC ? ... and I´m not talking about the settings in VLC ...

Huh

h3ll

h3llsp4wn Wrote:Well - installed VLC, but can´t get video acceleration to work on ATI - therefore video playback is fine in VLC, compared to the green block issue on those L5.1 files in XBMC. Any hint on how to get it enabled in VLC ? ... and I´m not talking about the settings in VLC ...

Huh

h3ll

You have probably done what I did sp4wn and downloaded from the home page - this downloads version vlc-1.0.5-win32 and this doesn't use dxva playback on ATI cards. What you need is vlc-1.1.0-git-win32, available from the first post in this thread http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=70424&sid=be4121bc8c93405b2ef8bf61cdd59262, but don't hold your breath it don't work either Laugh

- h3llsp4wn - 2010-03-24

Aaaaargh!

Thanks - will give it another try .... to many threads and a lot of reading - I simply missed it!

Big Grin

h3ll

- joshuass - 2010-03-24

bradvido88 Wrote:Forgive my beginner's question, but does this DXVA hardware acceleration help when playing MPEG-2 videos? I have tuner cards that capture over-the-air high def content in this format.

Most video cards have had native support for mpeg-2 decoding for a while now. But, I don't think XBMC used that feature at all since it used ffmpeg as its decoding library.

- bradvido88 - 2010-03-24

joshuass Wrote:Most video cards have had native support for mpeg-2 decoding for a while now. But, I don't think XBMC used that feature at all since it used ffmpeg as its decoding library.
Thanks for the info... sorry but i'm very new to video codecs and decoders Blush.
I'm a little confused by your post. Do you mean XBMC does not do hardware accelerated decoding for mpeg-2 files because it uses ffmpeg?

Thanks again!