Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- Derek - 2010-04-17

Im still running nightly builds at my peril and i'm having great success but just playing movies not really doing much else. (DXVA2 working well on Nvidia GTS 250)

- elupus - 2010-04-17

The disabling for ati has been reverted.

- nekrosoft13 - 2010-04-17

reverted to what? green screen?

- elupus - 2010-04-17

to the partial working state it was before that change (ie non multislice video's work for the most part)

- WisdomWolf - 2010-04-17

I'm running a DXVA build on my aspire revo 1600 in my bedroom and it runs beautifully. It runs better than XBMC Live did and now I can run sugarsync easily. Thank you so much!

Now I have a question. I want to do the same with my desktop, but it currently has an ATI 4670 running dual monitors. I have a second PCI-E slot and was thinking of adding a GT 210 for HDMI output to my 42" LCD. If I do that will XBMC know to use the GT 210 for DXVA2 since that's what it's displaying on instead of the ATI card? I know that may sound dumb, but I just wanted to double check because otherwise I need to buy two new video cards so I can have all Nvidia.

- elupus - 2010-04-18

No idea really. Our multi-monitor support is abit funky.. But dxva should be connected to the d3d device, so aslong as we get the right render device, we aught to be using that for decoding aswell.

- WisdomWolf - 2010-04-18

elupus Wrote:No idea really. Our multi-monitor support is abit funky.. But dxva should be connected to the d3d device, so aslong as we get the right render device, we aught to be using that for decoding aswell.

Well, then maybe I'll be a guinnea pig for this setup. Technically DXVA2 isn't necessary on the system since it has an i7-920, but it's always nice to keep stress off the cpu. So far XBMC works fine on either of my current monitors, so I'll order a card next week and let you know how it goes.

- hsinchu308 - 2010-04-19

Hi Elupus,

Would you consider adding an option to set the subtitle rendering resolution, like in MPC-HC? I am using an Acer Revo 3610, with Intel Atom 330 and Nvidia ION, to watch mkvs, and for movies with both Chinese and English subtitles, the movies stutters when the Chinese subs appear, but does not stutter if I toggle to the English subtitle. I have the same problem in MPC-HC, but changing the subtitle resolution to 800x600, instead of the desktop resolution (1920x1080), fixed that. (Actually I have the same problem with KMPlayer, but stopped using it because I could not solve this problem.)

Also, it seems that the CONTRAST video setting only affect non-DXVA videos, because I cannot see any change when I move the slider for videos that use DXVA, but there's a noticeable change for non-DXVA videos, like Xvid videos.

Regards,

- elupus - 2010-04-19

Probably should have some setting for subtitle size.. but not on my prio list.

Contrast should work aslong as your hw supports it. That said, i've not tested it in quite some time.

- frotsen - 2010-04-19

Elupus do you have any clue why dxva with ati 5xxx series plays perfectly when you have the overlay osd on? se my post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=518846&postcount=535

frotsen

- CrystalP - 2010-04-19

@WisdomWolf:

I tried a similar setup: ATI 4550 with two screens (primary) and nVidia GT8500 with the TV.
XBMC only detected the two screens on the primary adapter. Screen #3 (the TV) wasn't even listed, so that was a showstopper.

A quick look at the source code of XBMC reveals that it hardcodes a primary and a secondary screen in places, no matter the total amount of physical screens. So three screens or more doesn't work right.

Now for some good news... XBMC and DXVA work fine on a computer with two different brands of graphics cards! I unplugged one of the screens on the ATI card, and voila, XBMC detected the TV on nVidia, let me use it, and DXVA simply worked (with the usual caveats, black/green screens, etc..)!

Great job elupus, I wasn't expecting it to work flawlessly in this uncommon setup!

- elupus - 2010-04-19

frotsen:
Funny thing is we've just stumbled on the same issue with vaapi support under linux and ATI backends. No clue what it is yet.

CrystalP:
Good to hear. Yea we are limited to two screens at the moment. And even that is abit funky.

- CrystalP - 2010-04-19

Elupus,

This is a bit off-topic but would you care to elaborate on the 'funky' support of dual screen? I found one dual screen problem in the code and submitted a patch on ticket #9088: the adapter number is not set properly before D3DDevice creation in fake fullscreen. That causes trouble later with the upscalers.

I am new to XBMC code but comfortable with C++ and willing to help, given a little bit of direction. I want dual screen to work right!

P.

- elupus - 2010-04-19

CrystalP:
I just know that alot of people report issues with it. I don't know the exact ones. But we'd gladly accept patches for anything related. To start with i think you should look at getting rid of the two screen limitation.

- CrystalP - 2010-04-19

Sure, I can help get it working but three screens is no longer my main configuration. I can plug in a third monitor for a little while though.

I am not familiar with the development process here. There are multiple steps to reach that goal, should I make a patch for each step and submit them independently or just one at the end for the whole thing?

For example, step 1 is screen enumeration I think. Does it warrant a patch on Trac/forum post or should I wait until the whole feature is complete?