Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- joshuass - 2010-04-29

ATI OWNERS:

I just read that Catalyst 10.4 adds support for Level 5.1 H.264 hardware decoding.

Best for us to upgrade I'd say Big Grin

- steelman1991 - 2010-04-29

joshuass Wrote:ATI OWNERS:

I just read that Catalyst 10.4 adds support for Level 5.1 H.264 hardware decoding.

Any chance you could provide some feedback once you upgrade - cheers mate.

- joshuass - 2010-04-29

I would love to heh.

Actually, I do want to ask. Since nightlies are not currently produced, is there another place to download? I can probably just update my SVN repo and compile but its easier just to grab one precompiled heh.

- joshuass - 2010-04-29

Just using the build I currently have (build just before the merge), I tested the new driver with a few 5.1 level videos I have. They played with no visible artifacts, and with minimal CPU usage!

I'd say ATI has stepped up and delivered. However, I definitely want to try some of the later experimental builds to really confirm. I urge anyone running ATI hardware (integrated or discrete) to upgrade!

- Mallet21 - 2010-04-29

joshuass Wrote:Just using the build I currently have (build just before the merge), I tested the new driver with a few 5.1 level videos I have. They played with no visible artifacts, and with minimal CPU usage!

Appreciate the update.....Have had my eye on an HD5450 for a while now.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-04-29

steelman1991 Wrote:Hardly XBMC's fault that ATI's driver support is so crappy and restrictive. Perhaps better venting your frustration at ATI's devs rather than here NoNoNo

I do better than that- I bought an ATI card just to help development and I submit bugs to the Xorg people when I can. I really like ATI's initiative to open up their documentation, and I support them for that.

For XBMC though Nvidia's unified acceleration architecture is just superior, and I don't blame XBMC devs for that....

- nathanblgos - 2010-04-29

I've got a 5450, 4350 ( might be a 3450 ? ) and a laptop 4xxx ati, the 4350 and 4xxx laptop has been working good for ages without any ati driver updates. Using the 5450 through home cinema works well however the mkv filter built into home cinema isn't up-to-date and therefore a couple of mkv files don't work correctly Sad.

I have a very busy weekend, but I will try install either vista or win 7 on both the 5450 and 4350 htpcs using the 10.4a and maybe the laptop if I have the time but that's unlikely. How can I find out if a video is 5.1 level, I think I have some but I can't tell for sure.

- nekrosoft13 - 2010-04-29

joshuass Wrote:ATI OWNERS:

this has nothing to do with current ati h264 issues

- CrystalP - 2010-04-29

I joined on the 10.4 fun and it does indeed play extreme 1080p samples with 16 ref frames very smoothly without a frame dropped. The ATI artifacts (green bottom screen) are still there though.
On the downside, it resets the overscan setting and won't remember when I set it back to 0%... Maybe it's just me (ATI 4550).

A small update on the refresh rate switching. It seemed that device resets could be avoided and reduce problems in XBMC but Microsoft decided otherwise, and forces them to happen if we don't do them on our own. So no easy fix for fake fullscreen. I found a few things that help that I'll run by the senior devs but no fix for the root issue yet. I'll keep digging...

- neil.j1983 - 2010-04-29

steelman1991 Wrote:Just don't try and play high bit rate raw H264 remuxes - though it is being looked into Big Grin

Generally though I changed as well to the very card you have and have been very happy so far with its performance.

really? I've had no trouble, although my highest bluray remux goes to 52mbit+Audio. My highest encode is 68mbps, and from memory that played fine too.

joshuass Wrote:I'd say ATI has stepped up and delivered.

took em long enough! Rolleyes

- Rand Al Thor - 2010-04-29

CrystalP Wrote:I joined on the 10.4 fun and it does indeed play extreme 1080p samples with 16 ref frames very smoothly without a frame dropped. The ATI artifacts (green bottom screen) are still there though.
On the downside, it resets the overscan setting and won't remember when I set it back to 0%... Maybe it's just me (ATI 4550).

A small update on the refresh rate switching. It seemed that device resets could be avoided and reduce problems in XBMC but Microsoft decided otherwise, and forces them to happen if we don't do them on our own. So no easy fix for fake fullscreen. I found a few things that help that I'll run by the senior devs but no fix for the root issue yet. I'll keep digging...

Thanks CrystalIP. I appreciate you looking into the issue. I'm sure others do too Wink

- RDHoworth - 2010-04-29

I also have just upgraded to ATI 10.4 on Win 7 64. I hade to completely de-install 10.3 and reinstall for the drivers to remember any settings (e.g. overscan). I am also running a very recent nightly build - r29642.

DXVA2 does not work at all. All I get is a black screen. As soon as I revert to not using DXVA, everything works fine. I will wait on more work, but can live without DXVA for now as my machine is reasonable quick.

- steelman1991 - 2010-04-29

neil.j1983 Wrote:really? I've had no trouble, although my highest bluray remux goes to 52mbit+Audio. My highest encode is 68mbps, and from memory that played fine too.

took em long enough! Rolleyes

Neil, sorry perhaps I'm way off base on this and it might not be the bitrate that was causing the problem - but I was referring to the clip posted by SlaveUnit (supplied by me) which was causing major pixelation issues - see here for download of sample http://www.mediafire.com/?1w2y2zzmnbq. elupus is on the case to resolve Nod

- CrystalP - 2010-04-29

RDHoworth, thanks for the tip, the setting finally stuck after many installs/uninstalls and reboots...

Elupus, I found out why MPC-HC can do DXVA in DirectX debug mode and XBMC can't: MPC uses the D3D9Ex interfaces (new with Vista). I saw DXVA playback after enabling the interfaces with a quick hack. There are a few additional benefits (esp. for Win 7) to these interfaces so I think XBMC should use them at some point.

- elupus - 2010-04-29

CrystalP: Ah, think we should change to using that if available. They must be backword compatible to XP for sure??

<edit> grr.. sadly apperently not </edit>