Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

- bluenote - 2010-06-03

Making veiled accusations about sshcs builds is a little off side if you ask me.

- dondre - 2010-06-03

You know what, just forget about it... I won't spend energy trying to argue the unarguable,

Yet I wonder which part of "My remark wasn't against SSHCS and his "great" (read workload) job" is veil,

Besides, "to ensure the build authenticity (anybody said checksum?)" is just a fact, I never EVER accused nobody of nothing and surely no accusations nowhere at ALL... I just reminded a fact.

Peace

- Meglivorn - 2010-06-04

Quote:anyone know when next official beta is ? one that will include some support of DXVA2 ?

Would be nice. I'm using the builds from sshcs.com/xbmc/ and they are nice, but sometimes someting bugged Smile Right now with the Rev30746-dx just can't connect to the scrapers (the info refresh is greyed out, and download nothing on looking for new content).

The official nighty build was solid, but the dxva support way back. The newer player is way better so I'm trying to get a beta less problematic Smile

- chunk1982 - 2010-06-04

Meglivorn Wrote:Would be nice. I'm using the builds from sshcs.com/xbmc/ and they are nice, but sometimes someting bugged Smile Right now with the Rev30746-dx just can't connect to the scrapers (the info refresh is greyed out, and download nothing on looking for new content).

The official nighty build was solid, but the dxva support way back. The newer player is way better so I'm trying to get a beta less problematic Smile

have you tried right clicking on your movie folder and set content again!? im using the same build and my imdb scraper is working fine Nod

- SlaveUnit - 2010-06-04

Can we please end the third party SVNs opinions and the scraper problems with it etc. Keep this a bit closer to DXVA please.

- nathanblgos - 2010-06-04

elupus Wrote:nathanblgos:
Make sure you don't have "Adjust refreshrate to match video", it's know to be abit unreliable with dxva.

Lister of Smeg Wrote:As elupus says, its the "Adjust refreshrate to match video" & the "Real Fullscreen" that causes the main issues with ATI cards.

I have a HD5450 and using svn30260 the DXVA works perfectly (with CCC 10.5 & "Fake Fullscreen")

But when enabling "Adjust refreshrate to match video", it slows the video down to about 10fps instead of the 24fps that it should be.

steelman1991 Wrote:Lister - I tought you had this working with 'Adjust Refresh Rate' activiated - are you now saying that isn't the case?

Hi guys thanks for trying but I already had those settings correct, I believe my issue is related to power saving in the ati cards. I am lead to believe this from the follow issues posted here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=125837&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear , they are talking about flash, but its about hardware accerlated video, and I believe there is a strong chance they are related as the issue listed in this post is the exact thing that is happening to me when watching anything with dxva.

Flash trying to fix atis shitting drivers:

Quote:OK guys enough of the hate talk: it's not helping anything here.

I just installed the Flash 10.1 (beta?) release and yes, [for now anyway], it seems to have fixed things up with the 'enable hardware acceleration' problem.

It was really a Flash problem; not so quick cowboy!!

Because guess what?: I left the CCC open and watched the clock speeds of my card during streaming.

Like I mentioned previously on this thread, I could not use my HD5770 card without setting the clock speed to Want_0: 600MHz core/600MHz mem/1.0V AND uncheck the 'enable hardware acceleration' (if I was to stream Flash material at all). If I'd skip that, I'd call in for major audio stutter, image freezes or plain ol' system crashes -fullscreen or not. So that means that my frequencies would stay at a minimum of 600MHz no matter what.

What happens now? As soon as I start streaming a Flash video (on justin.tv for example), my frequencies change to 400MHz core and 900Mhz memory.

So, surprise! Was it really and purely a Flash problem? I don't think that the answer is that simple and here's why:

It seems that Flash is now overriding my "up-clocked" CCC profile's settings.

(I don't want to use the term "over-clocked" here because I am not going over my default max clock speeds here; again, I'm just increasing it's minimum operating frequencies and 'Idle'.

In my case, Flash is now actually setting the core speed a tad slower than I set it to and increases the memore clock speed. But that is higher clocks than the default CCC settings - details here:

Default Want_0 (Idle): 157MHz core, 300MHz memory and 0.95V

Default Want_1 (2d mode) - maybe the case if Flash is running): 600/1200/1.0V

My Profile Want_0: 600/600/1.0V

My profile Want_1: 600/900/1.0V

Flash 10.1 frequencies when streaming: 400/900/??V

(I could find out the voltage with GPU-z maybe but who cares for now?!).

As soon as I stop the streaming, the numbers magically return back to my profile's settings.

So now, tell me:

granted that CCC is an essential ATI thing to use if you want to fully take advantage of your card and its power saving features -for example- (and by that consider it "THE" driver), having Flash to override ATI's CCC instructions in order to run adequately defies the definite 'Flash is at fault' argument -in my mind anyway.

i.e.: ---> This looks to me that it is Flash fixing ATI's software/problem.

Thoughts on this anyone?

And no schoolyard fanboys' talk please ;p

AND possible fix, I haven't tried this yet but will over the weekend

Quote:Hi there,

I have similar audio problems with my HD5770 as well.

I have a ticket opened with AMD's support on that and it has recently been escalated. I am impatiently waiting for their answer on it.

In my case, there is even more than the Flash streaming problems.

Yes, disabling the hardware acceleration in Flash helps the problem and give better streaming quality (less picture freeze and audio distortion), but the real problem is somewhere else with the way the card down/up-clock and /or change the voltage - hence: the way CCC manages the cards settings depending on the laod on it. I am categoric on this one.

There are now tons of forum threads on this topic and there is something going on for sure. I had to troubleshoot for a full 3 days before finally finding a temporary solution. I just can't use my card without having to tweak it; otherwise, my audio start freaking out [I'm not using the Hi-def audio over the HDMI thing yet], or I get freezes in streaming and/or while during desktop tasks.

I since then did more research and found post dating back to 2004 on this clock speeds/voltage issues.

Anyway, I'll have more on the topic soon (hopefully) once and if I get a useful reply from AMD.

But here's what worked for me:

I have to create a profile and edit it so that the card will never have its core and memory downclock below 600MHz.

To do so, you have to create a new profile in CCC, save it and do not activate it yet. While your are there, create a second one that you will call "DEFAULT" or something else explanatory to reverse your changes if needed. Now, do a Windows search for the name or your profile [the one you want to use to tweak] and make sure to include the hidden files and folders. The file should be a [your profile name].xml file type. [you might have to repeat the search a 2nd time sometimes to see it].

---> OR go check under: C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles

Open that .xml file with notepad and there you will see the values that you can tweak.

OK, let me stop right here! I want to say that this is done at your own risks and I don't want to be accused on any problems that may or may not occur. I don't want AMD to accuse me of reverse engineering or software hacking either. These changes in settings are just tweaks that allow me to use their card and if this can help others; then let's be it. Basically, I have to do this to use the card or I have to RMA it - so give me a break....!!

By default for my HD5770 profile looks like this:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="15700" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="120000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="950" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1125" />

And to fix all my problems, I have to change it to this:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1125" />

So basically pushing the card NOT to 'downclock' to the normal power saving Want_0 mode and forcing it to iddle at 600/600MHz/1V.

Finally, you can use the CCC option to enable the Hotkeys binding and set it so you can swithc between your tweaked and default mode on the fly. In my case, I cannot go back to the normal profile without getting my audio/video problems reappearing within seconds...

And that means that in order to just be able to use that card, I have to let go of (almost) all it's power saving advantages: the main reason that brought me to chose that card over one of the other major competitor in the first place. But this downclocking issue is real for me and is clearly not a Flash only problem. I've never had to disable the HW Flash acceleration to get proper streaming on my previous green cards either.

So there you go! Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this will be useful to some and maybe also push AMD/ATI to work on a solution. I want to be able to use my card without having to hack [sorry! tweak] it and I also want to see a low power consumption: up to to the level that they commercialize it toward.

Maybe, only maybe, could it just be a matter of changing CCC to only downclock to 157MHz core/300MHz mem ONLY after a longer low GPU load period; see 1, 10 or 20 minutes maybe....

Peace out!

EDIT another possible solution from: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=129620

Quote:Gigabyte boards:

Most likely the same problem as with the MSI board, but Gigabyte actually cared to fix it. Update to the latest motherboard bios.

- Orbi - 2010-06-04

^^
Very interesting post and worthwhile to investigate. I had a similar issue with the powersaving feature when I bought my 5870. Watching XBMC on my second screen (TV) would result in heavy tearing. The explanation was that due to the low voltage of the card in powersaving mode, the card could not sustain rendering a second screen without tearing.

Increasing the voltage by 0.1 in powersaving mode fixed the issue.

- ashlar - 2010-06-04

No way in hell I would go through all that. I'm more likely to switch card and never ever touch another ATI in my whole life. I *knew* I should have stayed with Nvidia... but they really dropped the ball in the last couple of generations, hardware-wise.

- Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-06-04

Just asking: is there a known issue about 4:3 videos (x264 in mkv) having a green vertical line on the right border with DXVA (nvidia GT240) enabled? That's playing with a newer 30xxx build.

- CrystalP - 2010-06-04

There was a report that the unofficial nightly r30813 fixed the issue of quarter/half screen playback with DXVA on nVidia. Can anyone confirm or deny?

edit: never mind, false alarm.

- nc88keyz - 2010-06-05

I updated builds last night with xbmc and no matter how hard i tried, i could not get it to crash on playback. Have an ATI 5770 and updated to 10.5 and unnofficial svn build....everything i tried from 1080p to 720p to DTS.HD encodes played.... stoped, then played again....before it was very random from a end of may build.

Was it the 10.4 to 10.5 driver upgrade or someone has been very busy with xbmc Smile

either way, i was amazed.

i was using the june 4 build r30381. DXVA on everything tried and with ATI....who knew!

im gonna try the dsplayer build again to see if the driver was the culprit....besides i miss my bitstreaming audio tracks on LOTR, Avatar and others.

audio issues last several builds - christoofar - 2010-06-05

Last several builds have been getting the "failed to initialize audio device" errors on all non-mp3 audio tracked video files
(i.e, .mkvs in 5.1 AC3) Running a Nividia GF210 card, tried reinstalling audio drivers, can 't select 5.1 setting under Windows 7 , only stereo, so not sure if this is an XBMC issue.
Worked fine two nights ago.
Log below
http://pastebin.com/NJ3X3Rvf

Thanks for any ideas.
hmm..I switched around some HDMI cables , and now it works . Interesting...

DXVA Option gone - jayace - 2010-06-06

Ok, I'm sure I'll feel stupid when I hear the answer to my problem but here goes.

I've been using build r27705 now for a few months on my Revo 3610 and last night I thought I would try the latest build. After seeing some of the bugs I decided to go back to r27705 but now my option to select DXVA is gone. I've done a complete uninstall including profile, reboot, reinstall a couple of times with the latest build and/or r27705 now with no success and I can't figure out what I'm missing here. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Edit -

Nevermind, I figured it out. I thought I had seen a single menu option to enable DXVA so I was skipping right past the render choices. I knew I'd feel stupid.

- steelman1991 - 2010-06-06

jayace Wrote:Ok, I'm sure I'll feel stupid when I hear the answer to my problem but here goes.

I've been using build r27705 now for a few months on my Revo 3610 and last night I thought I would try the latest build. After seeing some of the bugs I decided to go back to r27705 but now my option to select DXVA is gone. I've done a complete uninstall including profile, reboot, reinstall a couple of times with the latest build and/or r27705 now with no success and I can't figure out what I'm missing here. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Edit -

Nevermind, I figured it out. I thought I had seen a single menu option to enable DXVA so I was skipping right past the render choices. I knew I'd feel stupid.
You did but as you found out that is the option in the newer svn builds.

- jayace - 2010-06-07

steelman1991 Wrote:You did but as you found out that is the option in the newer svn builds.

Thanks, good to know I'm not going crazy.