Kodi Community Forum
Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Initial native support for DXVA2 in SVN - Time to say goodbye to your firstborns (/showthread.php?tid=69306)

bug: green line on right border with 4:3 videos - Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-07-03

Just to remind you guys: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=555422&postcount=984

I've noticed it again using build r31463 and just checked: r31579 has it too.

a pic: (it's the 'pause' icon that you see on the bottom)

the debug log: http://pastebin.com/aTsZ7Qfj
mediainfo log: http://pastebin.com/7WDjuvL3
nvidia drivers: 257.21

[edit] in case you were wondering, this issue only happens with dxva, cpu decoding is bug free.

- joshuass - 2010-07-05

CrystalP Wrote:joshuass, that's good but can you post a debug log. That was a regular log. Don't forget to restart XBMC after setting the option.
Please also update your DX SDK - there's a message in the log.

You don't clearly say if this happens for one file, all files, files of a certain type/source, ...

Hmm. That was a debug log. I made sure it was enabled before running the problem videos...

This happens on several series of shows I have (DVD rips, mostly). There must be a setting thats being used in the encoding process (I didn't encode them) that DXVA can't handle quite right or something. I'll post another log just to make sure I have it right.

Oh. And this was with the 31503 nightly build. Should I assume you meant to update the End User DX install? What's abolutely weird is that I didn't see an DX-specific installations in my Installed Programs list on 7. Super strange.

UPDATE:

Installed DX End User Websetup again.

New Debug Log:
http://pastebin.com/ueCQD8ww

Played three videos. The first one is completely unwatchable as the video doesn't advance. It just loops through maybe 3-4 frames, suddenly jumping to the right spot in the video at random intervals.

The second one worked. It had originally had issues with DXVA being enabled. Though I didn't go through all videos in the series.

The third one had minor artifacting, but was still watchable for the most part.

I have a few others I will be trying out, too.

- kiboy6 - 2010-07-08

Just wondering.....you don't have WASAPI audio selected in system audio settings do you?

Because I was experiencing similar issues with certain movies and it turned out that reverting to DirectSound fixed the issue completely.

It seems that WASAPI is choking on passthrough in recent builds perhaps?

- CrystalP - 2010-07-12

Joshuass, ffmpeg does the DXVA decoding and the errors seem to come out of there. Even though ffmpeg doesn't send us back errors, we query the GPU directly and see there are issues.
There are frequent updates of ffmpeg, which could explain why some videos started working.
There's not much we can do but wait.

- joshuass - 2010-07-12

CrystalP Wrote:Joshuass, ffmpeg does the DXVA decoding and the errors seem to come out of there. Even though ffmpeg doesn't send us back errors, we query the GPU directly and see there are issues.
There are frequent updates of ffmpeg, which could explain why some videos started working.
There's not much we can do but wait.

CrystalP, that's pretty much what I was expecting the answer to be. Basically a waiting game Big Grin

- ashlar - 2010-07-14

A simple question: what happens if the file one tries to play is not compatible with DXVA (too many reference frames, L5.1, that sort of stuff)? Does XBMC fallback to software decoding or if DXVA is enabled it dies on the file?

- elupus - 2010-07-14

ashlar:
Most likely it will fails quite badly.. We don't know how or why something fails.

- steelman1991 - 2010-07-14

ashlar Wrote:A simple question: what happens if the file one tries to play is not compatible with DXVA (too many reference frames, L5.1, that sort of stuff)? Does XBMC fallback to software decoding or if DXVA is enabled it dies on the file?
Ashlar - I only have 1 file encoded with that profile (well at least that I could find). It doesn't show any differing playback characteristics to those encoded with L4.1. CPU usage would indicate that DXVA is kicking in (I know that flies against what I've read - but the figures speak for themselves - 0.5 to 2.0% usage). You got any that work differently. Might want to upload a sample see what the results are?

- ashlar - 2010-07-14

No, I don't have any examples files. I'm on ATI and I'm refraining from upgrading until the final release. Everything I read makes me really worried about messing with these cutting edge builds.

I was just wondering if there was something similar to what MPC-HC does (ie. if a file works with DXVA, it does, if it doesn't regular FFMPEG is used for decoding and then it's up to your CPU).

- joshuass - 2010-07-14

I am guessing there would have to be a way to determine if its playable. Without knowing the hard requirements for each capable gfx chipset, and without some sort of method in ffmpeg to either pass out error responses by the decoder specific to DXVA, there would be no way for XBMC to know. As far as I understood the source code, there's only a few DXVA decoder methods that even put out DX error codes.

That's why I was curious to know if I could set player parameters like renderer modes with advancedsettings.xml. At least then I could explicitly tell XBMC not to use DXVA for given sets of media that I know won't play right.

- steelman1991 - 2010-07-14

ashlar Wrote:No, I don't have any examples files. I'm on ATI and I'm refraining from upgrading until the final release. Everything I read makes me really worried about messing with these cutting edge builds.

I was just wondering if there was something similar to what MPC-HC does (ie. if a file works with DXVA, it does, if it doesn't regular FFMPEG is used for decoding and then it's up to your CPU).
Don't believe all you read Big Grin I've been successfully running both Native and DSPlayer build variations for months (well since CCC 10.4 fixed the L5.1 issue). I'm running a 5450 (on win7) and can achieve full DXVA playback. I actually found a second file with L5.1 profile - again the stats would indicate DXVA playaback and certainly show low CPU usage:-

Quote:General
Complete name : G:\Movies\The Patriot (2000)\The.Patriot.Extended.Cut.BluRay.1080p.x264.DTS-H2.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 15.9 GiB
Duration : 2h 55mn
Overall bit rate : 13.0 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2007-07-27 20:55:15
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Jun 27 2007 15:53:08
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Cover : Yes / Yes

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 11 frames
Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 11.2 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 11.5 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.305
Stream size : 13.7 GiB (86%)
Title : 1920x800 - x264 - 11476 kbit/s
Writing library : x264 core 56 svn-665C
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-2:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=2 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=11477 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / zones=241500,251902,b=0.04 / aq=1:0.3:15.0
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Stream size : 1.85 GiB (12%)
Title : English - DTS 5.1 - 1536kbit/s
Language : English

- joshuass - 2010-07-15

joshuass Wrote:That's why I was curious to know if I could set player parameters like renderer modes with advancedsettings.xml. At least then I could explicitly tell XBMC not to use DXVA for given sets of media that I know won't play right.

It just so happens that any gui setting can be set in advanced settings (confirmed by spiff).

- steelman1991 - 2010-07-17

Playback has come on leaps and bounds especially 'adjust refresh rate'. However while playback is more than acceptable I still encounter issues with the 'hand-off' of files to playback. Sometimes I have 2 or 3 screen flashes before the file locks and playback begins. Debug log here http://pastebin.com/VGphEX77 - anyone else experience the same?

- CrystalP - 2010-07-17

The screen flashes are the resolution/refresh rate changes. No attempt is made to hide them.

- djdafreund - 2010-07-17

Yeah, about a month or more ago, when playing video's with it enabled, certain pixels on the screen would be white and look all weird, and now with svn builds, the video is normal and looks great without any scene glitches. I'm a happy camper. Smile They HAVE came a long way in the builds from just a month ago or so. Thanks guys for all your hard work, always!!!