Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher (/showthread.php?tid=69321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Krieg - 2012-06-07

I posted something here yesterday but it dissapear. Somewhere at the beginning of this thread there are instructions for installing the driver manually, you could try that.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - DrGrafix - 2012-06-16

I'm seeing some choppiness in my movies using my ATV1, so I'm thinking I need to make the plunge and do the CrystalHD card mod. What I'm a little confused about is whether you do the CrystalHD card mod alone, or then you do the Crystalbuntu? Or should I try the Crystalbuntu via a USB drive and see how that goes? So when you do the CrystalBuntu USB approach, do you wind up with a front row menu or something different? Is there a pictorial type FAQ that has screen shots and walks you through the USB setup? Also, is there a particular size and brand USB that is needed... I ask that because there was with modding my ATV1.

Mike

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - calev - 2012-06-16

(2012-06-16, 04:35)DrGrafix Wrote: I'm seeing some choppiness in my movies using my ATV1, so I'm thinking I need to make the plunge and do the CrystalHD card mod. What I'm a little confused about is whether you do the CrystalHD card mod alone, or then you do the Crystalbuntu? Or should I try the Crystalbuntu via a USB drive and see how that goes? So when you do the CrystalBuntu USB approach, do you wind up with a front row menu or something different? Is there a pictorial type FAQ that has screen shots and walks you through the USB setup? Also, is there a particular size and brand USB that is needed... I ask that because there was with modding my ATV1.

Mike

When you run Crystalbuntu, you end up with only xbmc running in linux. xbmc replaces front fow. you will need a usb stick 4 gigs or larger. I dont know of a picture how to but here is the link to the faq . It works great on a usb stick or installed to the hdd. Either way will work better than osx.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-06-16

CrystalHD (wiki) will work both with the original ATV OS (Mac OS X 10.4) and with Crystalbuntu, but I would recommend doing both unless you need some of the original ATV1 features, like playing Apple DRM protected movies.

The ATV1 (wiki) pages on the XBMC wiki are mostly up to date with some good info on all this, plus Crystalbuntu (wiki)'s site (and Crystalbuntu 2 coming soon!).

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - crashnburn - 2012-06-18

(2012-06-16, 09:04)Ned Scott Wrote: CrystalHD (wiki) will work both with the original ATV OS (Mac OS X 10.4) and with Crystalbuntu, but I would recommend doing both unless you need some of the original ATV1 features, like playing Apple DRM protected movies.

The ATV1 (wiki) pages on the XBMC wiki are mostly up to date with some good info on all this, plus Crystalbuntu (wiki)'s site (and Crystalbuntu 2 coming soon!).

Ned - I have ATV1. I have the BCM chip lying in a box as I havent had a chance to put it in.

I am hoping that one of these weekends, I will put in the Chip. At the time, what do I need to get the "Best possible Stable" Crystal HD version of XBMC for ATV OSX.

Will it automatically show up in my ATV FrontRow / XBMC Downloads space (Right now I am downloading 11-Eden)?

I am not going to Crystal Buntu / OpenELEC as yet.

EDIT:

My library was all mucked up so flushed it. Is there some way to FLUSH/ RESET XBMC to a FRESH INSTALL. All paths and configurations and media removed?
Fresh Network Sources etc. etc.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-06-18

XBMC v11 is currently the best stable release.

To reset all settings just delete the userdata (wiki) folder.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - DrGrafix - 2012-06-19

Well, first thing I do is go buy a 8Gig Flash Drive and try this CrystalBuntu approach. I only use the ATV1 for streaming movies, so no big deal. Anything that gets the stutter out of the movies is worthwhile. And I assume that if I buy the Broadcom card, its almost plug and play with the USB CyrstalBuntu system? Or do I have to start from scratch?

But just as a basic question... which one approachreally smooths out the video better? The USB CrystalBuntu or the Broadcom Crystal HD card? I'm also assuming that the addition of ONLY the Broadcom card leaves FrontRow intact?

Mike

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - crashnburn - 2012-06-19

(2012-06-18, 22:09)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC v11 is currently the best stable release.

To reset all settings just delete the userdata (wiki) folder.

Thanks a lot Ned. You're such a great help, always. Smile

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-06-20

(2012-06-19, 16:01)DrGrafix Wrote: Well, first thing I do is go buy a 8Gig Flash Drive and try this CrystalBuntu approach. I only use the ATV1 for streaming movies, so no big deal. Anything that gets the stutter out of the movies is worthwhile. And I assume that if I buy the Broadcom card, its almost plug and play with the USB CyrstalBuntu system? Or do I have to start from scratch?

But just as a basic question... which one approachreally smooths out the video better? The USB CrystalBuntu or the Broadcom Crystal HD card? I'm also assuming that the addition of ONLY the Broadcom card leaves FrontRow intact?

Mike

Crystalbuntu is a replacement OS that can be ran from a USB drive or the internal hard drive. It allows for full 1080 output and a more responsive GUI. The Broadcom Crystal HD is a hardware chip that replaces the internal wifi and allows the ATV1 to handle the actual HD playback. Using the original ATV OS, you can still use the BCHD, but you will be limited to 720 output.

You can use Crystalbuntu before getting the BCHD, and once you have the BCHD then yeah, all you do is install it (like installing ram, very easy) and it will all be good.

If you use Crystalbuntu on a USB drive then you can boot into either Crystalbuntu or the original ATV OS (Frontrow) depending if the USB drive is inserted upon boot or not.

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - DrGrafix - 2012-06-21

Ned...

How do remember all this stuff LOL? Amazing. OK, one last question... I checked eBay for Broadcom cards and I see there are micro cards and regular cards. Will either suffice or do I need to get the larger card?

And your saying that if I went with the USB approach, the stuttering playback will be gone... or partially gone? Tough decision on whether to just do the Cyrstalbuntu OS or try it via the USB. I'm going to follow the link and check out the OS approach, I assume its something like using a patchstick but I'll read the FAQ.

Thanks... I'm sure I'll be back for more help LOL.

Mike

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-06-22

Both versions of the card will work: BCHD (wiki)

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - DrGrafix - 2012-06-23

Ordered the bigger style. Also bought a 3-pack of 8Gig Flash Drives at Costco today. Going to try the building USB stick approach tomorrow morning. I assume that the USB when plugged in takes precedence as the drive of choice to boot the ATV? That would mean you pull it out and the ATV boots to the basic ATV/FrontRow OS. Plug in the USB and it goes automatically to Cyrstalbuntu. Or is there a menu that pops up and asks which OS you want to use?

Mike

RE: [AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher - Ned Scott - 2012-06-23

It should do it all by itself, but sometimes you need to press down (minus) on the ATV remote (upon booting) to tell it to look at USB first.

Hey Ned... I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing in Terminal. Can you give me some guidelines on the line-specific commands on going from where terminal opens to where the file I downloaded is. I take it I'm looking for the USB.img file and I've done the cd downloads but how do I get to that USB.img file and should there be a ".gz" on the end of it or is that hidden?

To run off a USB drive and not touch the internal HDD:
Great for dual booting if you want to still use original ATV OS features, or to just test Crystalbuntu out.

Download http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/ubuntu/hardy/usb/USB.img.gz
Did this but got some errors on the page but downloaded USB.img

Open Terminal, navigate to the downloaded file, and enter the following command followed by return:
OK, did a ls and I see the USB.img file but there is no .gz after it.
gunzip USB.img.gz

Once back to the command prompt, continue with:
diskutil list
Do I do a simple cd\ to get to the Command Prompt?

This will list all connected memory devices. Look for the one that is your USB stick. Normally, with no other USB drives connected, it is listed as disk1. If your USB drive shows up as something else then you must replace that number in the instructions below. Failure to do so will likely result in data loss.
Enter these commands in your Terminal window, in sequence:
diskutil umountDisk /dev/disk1
dd if=USB.img of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=16384
Explain "in Sequence" as it looks like two lines... am I right?

I should be able to figure the rest out LOL.

Wait for the process to finish. It may take a while.
Remove the USB drive and stick it into the ATV1, then power the ATV1 on (or reboot it).
The first time the drive is ran it will do some first-time installation things. This only happens the very first time the new USB drive is ran.
The ATV1 should now reboot itself, and you should be now using XBMC via Crystalbuntu via USB drive.

Update 30 minutes later...

First, I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer 8Gig stick. Brand-new. Seems that the image file is automatically expanded on my iMac as it downloads as a .gz but then it expands on its own. Next I tried this:

Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4
Unmount of all volumes on disk4 was successful
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ dd if=USB.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=16384
dd: /dev/rdisk4: Invalid argument
60742+1 records in
60742+0 records out
995196928 bytes transferred in 248.992735 secs (3996891 bytes/sec)
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4
Unmount of all volumes on disk4 was successful
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ dd if=USB.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=16384
dd: /dev/rdisk4: Invalid argument
60742+1 records in
60742+0 records out
995196928 bytes transferred in 249.359518 secs (3991012 bytes/sec)
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$

Got a nasty pop up stating that the Sandisk is not readable by this computer so I'll google that and see if there's a format procedure for the USB stick that will make it Mac friendly.

Mike

OK, I had bought a 3-pack and maybe I formatted wrong but I tried it again and got this:

/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *8.0 GB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS ATV 7.7 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS 1TB TimeMachine 999.9 GB disk3s2
/dev/disk5
0: RAR Expander *41.9 MB disk5
/dev/disk6
0: Apple_partition_scheme *98.6 MB disk6
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk6s1
2: Apple_HFS Wondershare Video Co... 98.5 MB disk6s2
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ diskutil umountDisk /dev/disk2
Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$ dd if=USB.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=16384
dd: /dev/rdisk2: Invalid argument
60742+1 records in
60742+0 records out
995196928 bytes transferred in 249.462451 secs (3989366 bytes/sec)
Mikes-iMac-137:downloads mlangieri$

I don't understand the "Invalid Argument" comment. Did I do something right or wrong?

Mike