Kodi Community Forum
XBMC-Live Install script. For Minimal Unbuntu Install - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC-Live Install script. For Minimal Unbuntu Install (/showthread.php?tid=69753)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- X3lectric - 2010-12-23

dont use 260 drivers on first install, bug with ppa from the nvidia vdpau guy, so get on his case

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&p=500#p500

that proves that 195 is still good I will do a last change.

also try with alsa normal/195 drivers and 1.0.23/195 drivers I would like to know if 1.023 also affects install....

I backoprted alsa but I am NO expert in packaging, hence why i asked for volunteers to help out and also cause Im seriously disabled.

other issue is https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140&p=504#p504

I have that user looking into it... I left bed to go to toilet and checked mails on way back, thats how great my life is atm.

thx.

- ksosez - 2010-12-23

Just a heads up. I did a clean install of 10 using the minimal install method. using the script with nvidia drivers 195 and 260 both hung on reboot.

EDIT: this is with 1.023 for both.

EDIT2: 190 didnt work either..All hung after reboot

The install worked fine under 9.11 and a previous version of the script. I then switched to SVN PPA and it installed the SVN build for 10 release and booted just fine..

- X3lectric - 2010-12-24

ksosez Wrote:Just a heads up. I did a clean install of 10 using the minimal install method. using the script with nvidia drivers 195 and 260 both hung on reboot.

EDIT: this is with 1.023 for both.

EDIT2: 190 didnt work either..All hung after reboot

The install worked fine under 9.11 and a previous version of the script. I then switched to SVN PPA and it installed the SVN build for 10 release and booted just fine..

The install procedure is the same now as on all scripts b4, only the 260 drivers were added to the initial 10.0 install

I have a guy here saying itworks finewith 195 https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&p=500#p500

I just dont know if alsa 1.0.23 makes a difference on first install cause no one posts logs.

SO I suspect that alsa 1.0.23 + 260 on initial is to blame, but this is only a guess.

CAN anyone experiment and confirm that 195 and normal alsa is ok on xci 1.0995?

BTW the nvidia drivers come from https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

so please report bugs to help me out cause just one complaint from me is not enough.

from 256.52 to 260 hes packaged the drivers in a non standard way, so please help me help you.

- johan_tre - 2010-12-28

X3lectric Wrote:The install procedure is the same now as on all scripts b4, only the 260 drivers were added to the initial 10.0 install

I can only comfirm what ksosez sais.
Script is not working anymore.

Startup ends up in a zombie process.
You see it as the TTY for XBMC as a black screen, as well with 256 as with 260 version.

I've done the comparison with version 1.0985, and there are quite some changes.
I dunno what the real reason is though.
Any help is welcome for debug tips.

Think you'll have to look at the ppa's.

- johan_tre - 2010-12-28

Hi X3lectric,

for the wifi setup I have a small script that is a better version that supports wifi security.

Currently XCI offers the choice of a list of scanned networks.
My network however is hidden. Here one should be able to type in his network name, (this is the ssid) so an inputbox would be a better option here.
Also the password should have this possibility.

From the current script I've seen that the wpa-psk is DIRECTLY filled in, which I believe will never be working.

below how to get this encription working.
mySSID: the wpa-ssid
myNetworkPass: the network password that ones has to know to get onto the wifi network.
ra0: the name of my network device.

Note: grep " psk" contains 1 tab in front of the psk.
While editing, do this by Ctrl+v and typing the tab key.

Code:
[b][u]WPAKEY[/u][/b]=$(wpa_passphrase [b]mySSID[/b] [b]myNetworkPass[/b] | grep "    psk" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="="} {print $2}')

#echo "auto wlan0" >>/etc/network/interface

echo "auto [b]ra0[/b]" >> interfaces
echo "iface [b]ra0[/b] inet dhcp" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-driver wext" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-ssid [b]mySSID[/b]" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-ap-scan 2" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-proto RSN" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-pairwise CCMP" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-group CCMP" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-psk "[b][u]$WPAKEY[/u][/b] >> interfaces

- freestyler3000 - 2011-01-03

F.A.0. X3lectric and all...

Hi all,

I to have also tried installing XBMC using the XCI script.. as per the guides I:
  • Installed Minimal Ubuntu
  • Downloaded the script
  • When prompted, updated the script
  • Installed XBMC Dharma 10.0
  • Rebooted.
  • This then loads the XBMC splash screen... But then prompts for a Linux user log-in.
  • Once logged in you see a Zombie process running.
Repeated the whole process with the 190 driver and with different sound card drivers... Stilll no joy Sad

Repeated the whole process WITHOUT updating the script and this installed Camelot 9.x

The script is broken and I really want to install Dharma 10.0 Nod
  • Is the XCI script still being supported?
  • Will the XCI script be fixed?
  • Is there any guides or work arounds?
  • Is it worth trying to install XBMC Live?

Any help appreciated... This is a super great script I've used in the past and I hope it gets fixed,sometime soon...

Freestyler Cool

Hardware:
Acer Revo 3610
Connected via HDMI (for video and sound)

- X3lectric - 2011-01-03

johan_tre Wrote:Hi X3lectric,

for the wifi setup I have a small script that is a better version that supports wifi security.

Currently XCI offers the choice of a list of scanned networks.
My network however is hidden. Here one should be able to type in his network name, (this is the ssid) so an inputbox would be a better option here.
Also the password should have this possibility.

From the current script I've seen that the wpa-psk is DIRECTLY filled in, which I believe will never be working.

below how to get this encription working.
mySSID: the wpa-ssid
myNetworkPass: the network password that ones has to know to get onto the wifi network.
ra0: the name of my network device.

Note: grep " psk" contains 1 tab in front of the psk.
While editing, do this by Ctrl+v and typing the tab key.

Code:
[b][u]WPAKEY[/u][/b]=$(wpa_passphrase [b]mySSID[/b] [b]myNetworkPass[/b] | grep "    psk" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="="} {print $2}')

#echo "auto wlan0" >>/etc/network/interface

echo "auto [b]ra0[/b]" >> interfaces
echo "iface [b]ra0[/b] inet dhcp" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-driver wext" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-ssid [b]mySSID[/b]" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-ap-scan 2" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-proto RSN" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-pairwise CCMP" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-group CCMP" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK" >> interfaces
echo "wpa-psk "[b][u]$WPAKEY[/u][/b] >> interfaces

HI johan_tre what a pleasure it was to read your post, someone with skills and interest? I can hardly believe it. Shocked

Script is open source so feel free to add or do whatever you wish as long as everything works and is released.

Ideally it would be nice to follow the script UI usage with user input boxes so it is consistent with existing.

XCI wifi script part is hundreds of lines long, ALSO supports security, BUT I didn't write (andy the original main dev which is MIA for near a year.) and don't understand most of it to make any changes. All I know is it has to support wlan0 and ra0 or whatever others default interfaces.

so feel free to make modifications and submit it for user testing on.

a) A new topic here in XBMC forums.

b) XCI forums (but you would have to join in and answers users questions. (you need a sourceforge account to login to any projects) I can add you as a dev if you wish.

c) Not on Thread this since I don't have access to modify first post

please read my signature for details on current status of future script development and available positions.

Your code looks simple enough but don't forget XCI is not just a do it script, its a real installer and should behave and look like one.

Thank you so much for actually looking at this and suggesting changes.

Happy new whatsit.

- X3lectric - 2011-01-03

freestyler3000 Wrote:F.A.0. X3lectric and all...

*snip
  • Is the XCI script still being supported?
Please read this it come from my signature http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84114

freestyler3000 Wrote:
  • Will the XCI script be fixed?
I will remove the 260 drivers from the first run install, though I'm not supporting XCI, because I am very ill and alone with the whole massive project, which is not just the script. So its hard and frustrating.

That is if anyone cares for real....

freestyler3000 Wrote:
  • Is there any guides or work arounds?
Well there are some posts above yours which is post #186 you could have read #181 and #183 above your, but I pasted them just because, well the alternative you wouldn't like it. I tend to speak my mind... And I wouldn't just ignore you either.

X3lectric Wrote:don't use 260 drivers on first install, bug with ppa from the nvidia vdpau guy, so get on his case.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&p=500#p500

that proves that 195 is still good I will do a last change.

also try with alsa normal/195 drivers and 1.0.23/195 drivers I would like to know if 1.023 also affects install....

I backported alsa but I am NO expert in packaging, hence why i asked for volunteers to help out and also cause Im seriously disabled.

other issue is https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140&p=504#p504

I have that user looking into it... I left bed to go to toilet and checked mails on way back, thats how great my life is atm.

thx.

X3lectric Wrote:The install procedure is the same now as on all scripts b4, only the 260 drivers were added to the initial 10.0 install

I have a guy here saying itworks finewith 195 https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&p=500#p500

I just dont know if alsa 1.0.23 makes a difference on first install cause no one posts logs.

SO I suspect that alsa 1.0.23 + 260 on initial is to blame, but this is only a guess.

CAN anyone experiment and confirm that 195 and normal alsa is ok on xci 1.0995?

BTW the nvidia drivers come from https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

so please report bugs to help me out cause just one complaint from me is not enough.

from 256.52 to 260 hes packaged the drivers in a non standard way, so please help me help you.

Also read XCI forums, they are also on my signature

there's this https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141

and there's this particular post on same thread https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&p=500#p500

freestyler3000 Wrote:
  • Is it worth trying to install XBMC Live?
You can but it wont work out of the box and You will end up doing a massive amount or manual work, But I have an asrock ION 330 HT.

freestyler3000 Wrote:Any help appreciated... This is a super great script I've used in the past and I hope it gets fixed,sometime soon...

Freestyler Cool

When I say I am disabled and seriously ill, Im not making excuses, and all I ask is for help and support in return

Ya, well I hope that what I posted has helped you, but I also appreciate when people complain about problems that they do me the courtesy of reading what's been posted and most of all posting logs, which are not necessary at this point.

thank you for posting and happy new whatever.

I hope you aren't offended by my post.

happy new year - johan_tre - 2011-01-03

Happy new year to everyone !!

What I found is that the script is difficult to maintain.
It's just far to big.

A better option would be to split it up in his functionalities.
Like that, the maker of that wifi script could with a minimum of effort add his script to the project, and integrate it in.

I found also another project, OpenElec.
That is based on a distro I believe.

Disadvantage is having another installation download/distro for every combination of hardware.

Combining this script or parts of it, with an installation of OpenElec could intercept the need for having another installation download everytime.

So maybe these 2 projects can cooperate to a better total solution, who knows.

- vikjon0 - 2011-01-03

Quote:OpenElec could intercept the need for having another installation download everytime.
OpenElect seem very nice but if I understand it correctly it is not possible to simply add components not included in the distro.
What download do you mean? The ubuntu cd?

Quote:A better option would be to split it up in his functionalities.
I was considering the possiblity to split in a main script and sub scripts, the main script would basically be a menu handler and a menu item should automatically be created for any added sub script like e.g. wifi. Someone would have to write the menu handler though..I might do it sooner or later but not the next few weeks I dont think.

- johan_tre - 2011-01-03

menu handler?

how do you write that?
language?
docs?

downloads of OpenElec, you'll find at:
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

regards Johan

- X3lectric - 2011-01-03

@ johan_tre

Its not hard to maintain when the problems are solved annd it is all modular so each area says what it does...

I don't have the skills to keep at it yet I did way more then that by myself.

Nothing good comes of easy/lazy work.

Openelec and the script cant be used together simply because openelec is not Debian based, I know I spoke to the dev many times.

I would enjoy having people to share the work even despite being really ill, yet they all run when they crack the script open.

yet your suggestion could probably make it simpler but I see now, it unlikely.

Also the point of having a installer with menu parts all in one despite size is easier to maintain and easier for the end user to use.

I wouldn't want to be hours running scripts when I can do it all in one hour.

Thx anyway man, rather you tell me that you not going to do it then to say yes and disapear like the rest of all the others, including the other co-founder.

- johan_tre - 2011-01-04

hello x3lectric,

I'm affraid you'll have to help me out a little, I'm just trying to understand.
Hope you're not pissed because I said it's hard to maintain?
It is only to help pointing difficulties and finding solutions for it.

X3lectric Wrote:@ johan_tre
Its not hard to maintain when the problems are solved annd it is all modular so each area says what it does...
what do you mean by that?
I hope you're not offended when I found it a hard-to-maintain script.
And I've done the effort of reading it, in order to solve the problem I had at the time.
Conclusion for me: It's far to long to be kept clear, all the dialog clutter doesn't do good to it, the mix between installation ways doing the same thing, the incorrect Alsa installation, the ever recurring ppa problems (you're not the only having these prob's, xbmscript has the same issue), it's all just confusing. All in one script.

Go back to the last problem: installation ends up in a ghost process.
now what? where is the problem? the wheel stops rolling. end users get no support.
You want (i guess) a solution, the users want it too.
I've also tried it, thing doesn't work. Sad
And the problem remains. Sad
Can you imagine what a non-developer sees opening that script?
His conclusion will be simple: it doesn't work. Period.
I believe that a split up of the script would make it easier to understand and to report problems on.
It would help less skilled people to add feedback in order to help developers better.
I'm not a scripting ninja, so I'm interested in anyone's feedback to understand this better.
For instance yours. I think you say that a splitup is not a good idea? (see below) I would like to understand why.
Maybe the merge of your, my and others knowledge can bring something better.
The only solution of bringing improvement is cooperating.

My idea is that it is not really easy to maintain, so I thought a split-up would be a good solution.
Like that, the parts of the script can kept stable, if they do not change.
Like that, the parts causing troubles could be adapted, and also easier to spot. And those are not the only advantages I think.

So in my search of solutions (here I got stuck unfortunately) I found OpenElec.tv that has a bit the problem of inflexibility due to hardware setups, BUT has the advantage of a all-in-one installation.
And that did rang a bell to me, since I've used XCI till I got stuck: XCI has the marvelous option to have an installation approach where you choose your drivers.
I find it really a good script. I honestly do.
You'll understand the irritation when installing Dharma and nvidia 256 (my previous setup) was also not installing properly anymore.
Then I'm out of options... I see people having the same problem, and there it ends if there comes no response of the forum.
So you start looking into the script. And looking into the script gives some info, but regarding the last problem, (the ghost process) there is not so much you can do but comparing the working and non-working version in order to see what has changed.
Guess what... not so much was changed. So what could be the problem then?? It's at THAT moment you decide to look for other options. Forced a little, because of the lack of knowledge and support.
I wanted a solution for my problem.

See what I mean?
Understand how I came to the ideas?
They are not meant to be offending. Only to help.

X3lectric Wrote:Nothing good comes of easy/lazy work.
Totally agree on that one!!

X3lectric Wrote:Openelec and the script cant be used together simply because openelec is not Debian based, I know I spoke to the dev many times.
Shit, how come?
Has OpenElec's distro no similar "dialog" package then?

X3lectric Wrote:yet your suggestion could probably make it simpler but I see now, it unlikely.
So split up is not a good idea, is that what you're saying?

X3lectric Wrote:Also the point of having a installer with menu parts all in one despite size is easier to maintain and easier for the end user to use.
The menu handler is not a good idea, is that what you're saying?
If it increases simplicity by splitting up in an flexible way, why not?
To me it seemed a good idea... (but maybe unfeasible?)

X3lectric Wrote:I wouldn't want to be hours running scripts when I can do it all in one hour.
Please explain? "hours running scripts". For which conditions you mean that?
A split up can't make that difference, can it?
When I speak about splitting up, I mean this in an dynamic way. So that the user can't see the difference between the old and the new script. The only difference would be simplicity when a problem occurs, and a cause of problem could easier be pointed.
One script can call another, no?
Having one script representing the main stream of dialogs etc, calling scripts doing the work is not such a bad idea, no?
Maybe I'm to progressive in my perception about the possibilities here?

X3lectric Wrote:Thx anyway man, rather you tell me that you not going to do it then to say yes and disapear like the rest of all the others, including the other co-founder.
You mean I'm chickening out or so?
I just want to put my effort the most effecient way Smile
My attempt to find out the ghost process problem showed me how easily comes to a dead end. I wasn't the first reporting that problem.
And I've done the effort of cracking open the script without success.
For me, it's a way of contributing, by giving suggestions.
Maybe these ideas are stupid, not possible, or whatever.
But at least I offer them.
So I expect feedback. And maybe that feedback helps me finding a solution, and if so, you'll see a post of me for sure.
It's only in an effort to help mate.
Improvement can be made by working together.

The coming days I'll give it a try for a retest of the scripts latest version.
I'll post my findings if there is any change.
My installation test:
Karmic,
stable version xbmc +
nvidia drivers 256 (which worked in the past for me) +
external Alsa 1.0.23 installation (the xci version is not working correctly for some reason)

regards

- X3lectric - 2011-01-04

@ johan_tre

johan_tre Wrote:what do you mean by that?
I hope you're not offended when I found it a hard-to-maintain script.
And I've done the effort of reading it, in order to solve the problem I had at the time.
Conclusion for me: It's far to long to be kept clear, all the dialog clutter doesn't do good to it, the mix between installation ways doing the same thing, the incorrect Alsa installation, the ever recurring ppa problems (you're not the only having these prob's, xbmscript has the same issue), it's all just confusing. All in one script.

1) I did not code 90% of that script, I found fixes tweaked the s[elling and wording on script + forums, support and the kitchen sink.

I'm not a developer Linux guru or anything of the sort, though people think so because I'm WAS associated with project like someone that has specific tasks not DEVELOPING, which I had to learn a bit of anyway, and cant understand most of because my illness is detrimental in that way to me.

+ I didn't code most of it that was NOT my job.

Im not offended that you think its a hard to maintain script because it has 3k lines, what I dont apprecciate is that the Dialog part what makes the script look professional, was my idea. It took me months of work to get it right.

your telling me its essentially
Quote:all the dialog clutter doesn't do good to it
I can only deduce from that that you don't like it, but its not going to change cause I'm doing a couple of last changes and that's it.

Quote: the incorrect Alsa installation
Sorry alsa is installed properly in karmic when 9.11 was around, if it didn't work for you, it worked for thousands of other users.
Quote:the ever recurring ppa problems *snip You'll understand the irritation when installing Dharma and nvidia 256 (my previous setup) was also not installing properly anymore.
Then I'm out of options
YA cause script is using third party ppas for VIDEO drivers which I have no control of, e.g. GFX drivers which more often then not after 195 are difficult to work with, yet script users dont moan to the ppa maintainer for the video drivers. So I have to do that as well? I did it plenty of times, not any more though.

Quote:Guess what... not so much was changed. So what could be the problem then?? It's at THAT moment you decide to look for other options. Forced a little, because of the lack of knowledge and support.
I wanted a solution for my problem.

See what I mean?
Understand how I came to the ideas?
They are not meant to be offending. Only to help.
The only way you can help is by:

a) implement your ideas into script, get used to the dialog parts

b) break it up yourself, in fact most of the script functions come form other scripts here in the forums ALL OVER the place, so we decided to put it all together, because IT makes sense. Its simple.

c) just run you part of the wifi script separately.

d) If you think xbmcscript is bad then give up now cause he retired from dev and HE knows what hes doing, in fact in the beginning we used some of his ideas.

Quote: it doesn't work. Period.
well the 260 drivers are to blame, so I know I don't have to run over 3000 lines, I just remove the 260 and walla.

Quote:Shit, how come?
Has OpenElec's distro no similar "dialog" package then?
The only thing in common with debian that openelec has is that it LINUX the packaging and install procedures are completely different and you dont get ppas.

Dialog exist in openelec but trust me run XCI with openelec at your own peril.

Quote:Can you imagine what a non-developer sees opening that script?
His conclusion will be simple: it doesn't work. Period.
Ya I open it all the time and even had to fix what I didn't quite understand, since Im NOT a developer.

I got dumped with the whole project, nice no?

Even nicer when you ask help for devs, packages or even someone who can do the documentation and they all either dont apply for position, or say yea Ill do it and then that's the last I ear from them...

Quote:The menu handler is not a good idea, is that what you're saying?
If it increases simplicity by splitting up in an flexible way, why not?
To me it seemed a good idea... (but maybe unfeasible?)

The menu handler is the best we could do to make it a professional script, its not infeasible, you dont agree with it thats fine... You dont have to like everything.... There's no such thing as pleasing everyone.

Quote:Please explain? "hours running scripts". For which conditions you mean that?
A split up can't make that difference, can it?
When I speak about splitting up, I mean this in an dynamic way. So that the user can't see the difference between the old and the new script. The only difference would be simplicity when a problem occurs, and a cause of problem could easier be pointed.
One script can call another, no?
Having one script representing the main stream of dialogs etc, calling scripts doing the work is not such a bad idea, no?
Maybe I'm to progressive in my perception about the possibilities here?

Sure a script can call another, that's how the menus work, and I think your really no so experienced like me and you have other ideas and would like to have it done your way...

Simple

I'm retiring from XCI, the whole lot. Forums, PPA's, maintaining and everything else...

You can do whatever you like with it, Ill help you with transition and even may help with documentation and support, IF I have the time.

Code:
You mean I'm chickening out or so?
I just want to put my effort the most effecient way :)
My attempt to find out the ghost process problem showed me how easily  comes to a dead end.   I wasn't the first reporting that problem.
And I've done the effort of cracking open the script without success.
For me, it's a way of contributing, by giving suggestions.
Maybe these ideas are stupid, not possible, or whatever.
But at least I offer them.
So I expect feedback.  And maybe that feedback helps me finding a solution, and if so, you'll see a post of me for sure.
It's only in an effort to help mate.
Improvement can be made by working together.

No Im not saying your chickening out, I said others before you have come suggested and then split, expecting me to do the hard work for them, for free.

Suggestions are not help, they are ideas that may work or may not, XCI went through a long, long, long process of development and testing

XCI is what it is today, because people, the users all thousands of them wanted it like that. We listened and worked very hard.

Reporting problems well...

XCI as a nifty feature that uploads all logs to a pastebin, yet only a hand full of users actually use it.
These logs give people that develop and maintain it clews to what's wrong, no other script does this.... yet so users rather just screm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it doesn't work its broken....

So much for help and feedback...

Look johan_tre, I have explained the best way I could about the script.
You seem like a really interesting person and probably we could work together, but I have real problems in my live.

Im disabled am in serious pain 24/7 for over 3 years, and hardly sleep, so sleep deprivation is really nice when you have to concentrate...

I hope you found this helpful, if your a linux person and want to do whatever with XCI, its yours, Ill help if and when I can.

Team XBMC would say, if you want some function in XBMC that they dont want or dont have time for, they say, submit a patch.

XCI is also opensource for that reason, yet suggestions dont help me fix problems, when I just simply physically and psychophysically cant do it anymore.

See you around, thx for suggestion and Ill wait on your reply if you want to take project over or do your own...

XCI as published to the public to help others, it turned into a hard work time consuming job.

If I would go back now I would have just done it with andy and kept it private and pass it to friends only....

Thx though for all your ideas and suggestion, I hope I was clear and non offensive and Hope you know I'm serious about giving the project away...

Regards...

- johan_tre - 2011-01-04

Hey X3lectric,

don't be offended by the dialog clutter. Really.
It doesn't mean I don't like the script. I only found it not to clear to dig in.
Keep in mind that the reason I don't like it is also partly because of my background.

Alsa came out not correctly installed.
I've done a simple test:
install karmic, install xci w alsa 1.0.23 -> check alsa versions.
reinstall karmic, install xci with std alsa ver.), my alsa script -> check alsa version.
On the alsa site, there is an alsa-info script, that shows the version of it.
I don't rember the details; but 3 items should have been set to 1.0.23.
After XCI installation (with 1.0.23) only 2 items are set the correct version.
That caused me many many crashes and hours of testing, but finally I could fix that by another alsa install.
Finding another working script made me comparing both scripts as the first thing, but that didn't bring me much further: They appear doing about the same thing, the same way!
With all these vague facts I don't think it was worthed to post it here.
Not so many people are willing to dig in the code. So I left it as it was.

I understand your frustration about people only installing and not looking further. But sometimes, the knowledge and courage is not there to do so.

The ever recurring ppa problems are not your problem indeed. And you're not the first one that encounters the problem.
But would it not be interesting to have own ppa's that shield off regression?
After all: installation with xci for the 256 version was not working anymore.
(I'll see tomorrow when I test it, I have time)
Dunno how to do that to be honest, it's only the idea, and maybe that could get the installations make more stable. With external ppa's, XCI stays dependent and gets the impact when one of them is failing.

I'll have a further look at the final script, maybe there is something I can do. And if it turns out with improvements etc (chances are that I cannot do better then you!), I'll contact you for svn access.
I'm interested in having this working too. But it must be maintainable.
Like it is now, I think it's a hard job.
So don't be disappointed or so if no one is taking over the ownership, you've done a great job till now. (moreover giving circumstances!)
And that I find this a hard-to-maintain, could also be seen as something that tells more about me then you Smile

About the menu thing: I was only curious in the hope to find solutions.
(I don't even know how to do it Smile)
So it's not something I like or not, or I want or force it *my* way.
As long it does the job in the end. That's what most people only care of anyway. (unfortunately sometimes)

So again, for tomorrow; I'll rerun some tests and add feedback.

CU around, and thx for the reply!