Kodi Community Forum
XBMC-Live Install script. For Minimal Unbuntu Install - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC-Live Install script. For Minimal Unbuntu Install (/showthread.php?tid=69753)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- X3lectric - 2011-01-05

No
offense...

To those interested I have just uploaded the LAST version of script which should come to you as auto update.

removed 260 drivers from initial xbmc 10.0 install since the ppa which provides them is buggy on that version, though they still remain for upgrade reasons, post xbmc install

added "warning" that alsa which I backported may cause problems, which is still unknown as no one reported failure with alsa 1.0.23 (until now) but since I learned ppa packiging in a rush and had no guidance or help well, shit happens, I know it works fine with 195 drivers normal alsa 1.0.20.

Alsa can be upgraded later if you enable multichannel audio since normal alsa doesnt support true HD sound.

And again as a reminder I added that XCI is OPENSOURCE so feel free toeither improve it, ignore it or whatever.

I'll be happy to help whoever desires the challenge to help with any transition.

Though it is the VERY latest version and any bug fixes, I may time permitting when XBMC transitions fully from svn to git, change the svn compile to git compile. (no promises) Again I have 0 experience with git.

sorry for the bugs but at some stage its not just XCI.... XBMC has changed an awful lot and quite a bit XCI may require adjustments/tweaking...

I have done all I possible can.

sorry folks....

@ johan_tre

If you read my signature there are forums, XCI ppa's which I did alone with no help or guidance, I wrote and setup the forums and How to and files links etc, there's a sourceforge project page, wiki for documentation, so you really havent been well informed about XCI....

I don't know what you think XCI is but its not just a script, its a full XBMC installer....

there is also dropbox which is where XCI gets all the files preconfigured from directly, which is also free, you will need a refferral and all I need is an email to referr you to open an account.

There is a reason why I have stuff links on my signature....

XCI is too small for svn it works simplay by editing the file adding changes/ uploading to dropbox beta (in this case) folder

to trigger auto updates a file in main root of dropbox called version check is chamged accordingly

hers an example of latest

Quote:VERSION="1.1"
INFOTEXT="\Z11.09:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added PS3 Remote to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Added XBOX Remote to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added ASUS AT3N7A-I Bluetooth Dongle setup to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4iv)\Zn Added 23.976 Mhz Display Setup (if your display supports it) to \Z1XBMC Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4v)\Zn Script now sets up XBMC sound options.\n\n\Z4vii)\Zn Updated Remote Keymap.\n\n\Z4vi)\Zn Added WOL setup to the installer part.\n\n\Z4vii)\Zn Added check for ASRock Remote Driver, as it will not work with Kernel 2.6.31-21.\Zn\n\n\Z11.08:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed Upload logs.\n\n\Z11.07:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added option to 'Revert' to XBMC Standard 9.11 version.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Tweaked code to try to fix issue with the '&>>~'\n\n\Z11.06:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed the removal of left over files after checking for a update.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed the backup/restore when you typed an incorrect username/password it now asks you to retype them.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added an option to Backup/Restore local media (Music, Videos) folders in your xbmc user folder.\n\n\Z11.05:\Z4\ni)\Zn Fixed small bug where after doing a 'Restore' the permissions where not reset.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Menu/Dialog tweaks\n\n\Z11.04:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed bug where if you disabled Wifi, when wifi had not been enabled the network would be come corrupt.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Tweaked the 'Update Script' code to add Release Notes and added option to download if a new version if found on startup."
BETAVER="1.0998"
BETAINFOTEXT="\Z11.0998:\n\Z4i)\Zn Last version 1.0998\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Removed 260 drivers from initial install\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Maybe will add git compile in future \n\n \Z11.0995:\n\Z4i)\Zn Dharma Ready.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Updated MkMKV.\n\n\Z4iii\Zn Updated dialogs\n\n\Z4iii\Zn HT Remote bug squashed\n\n\Z11.0980:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added team-iquik-xbmc-stable.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Cosmetic fixes.\n\n\Z1Note:\Zn Now XCI uses both official and XCI own PPA's\n\nZ11.0972:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added team-iquik-xbmc-svn-ppa.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed Asrock Remote custom keymap.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Updated addons versions on ppa\n\n\Z4iv)\Zn Added tools ppa latest stable ntfs-3g and fuse\n\n\Z11.0970:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed Compile from SVN TRUNK should now work.\n\n\Z11.0965:\n\Z4i)\Zn Team iQuik Alsa 1.0.23 PPA added. \n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed MCE remote install typo \n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added Team iQuik Addons PPA sabnzbd 0.50\n\n\Z11.0960:\n\Z4i)\Zn Temporary Alsa 1.0.22 PPA to fix bug. \n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Script only supports one OS now \n\n\Z4iii)\Zn other Script tweaks\n\n\Z11.0953:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added Vsftpd FTP server (faster<sftp) for media transfers. \n\n\Z11.0952:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed remote compatibility wasnt installing right. \n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed 256 driver install\n\n\Z11.0928:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added Nvidia drivers \Z1256.35\Zn to menus. \n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed some SVN compile crap (still wont run in minimal) Sad\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Other script improvements\n\n\Z11.0923:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed Asrock HT remote drivers compatibility with\n Kernel \Z12.6.31-22\Zn \n\n\Z11.0922\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed SVN build deps\Zn.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Minor cosmetic fixes.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added SABnzbd downloader to\Zn \Z1Software Add-ons\Zn.\n\n\Z11.09:\n\Zn\Z4i)\Zn Added PS3 Remote to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Added XBOX Remote to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added ASUS AT3N7A-I Bluetooth Dongle setup to \Z1Hardware Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4iv)\Zn Added 23.976 Mhz Display Setup (if your display supports it) to \Z1XBMC Options\Zn.\n\n\Z4v)\Zn Script now sets up XBMC sound options.\n\n\Z4vii)\Zn Updated Remote Keymap.\n\n\Z4vi)\Zn Added WOL setup to the installer part.\n\n\Z4vii)\Zn Added check for ASRock Remote Driver, as it will not work with Kernel 2.6.31-21.\Zn\n\n\Z11.08:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed Upload logs.\n\n\Z11.07:\n\Z4i)\Zn Added option to 'Revert' to XBMC Standard 9.11 version.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Tweaked code to try to fix issue with the '&>>~'\n\n\Z11.06:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed the removal of left over files after checking for a update.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Fixed the backup/restore when you typed an incorrect username/password it now asks you to retype them.\n\n\Z4iii)\Zn Added an option to Backup/Restore local media (Music, Videos) folders in your xbmc user folder.\n\n\Z11.05:\Z4\ni)\Zn Fixed small bug where after doing a 'Restore' the permissions where not reset.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Menu/Dialog tweaks\n\n\Z11.04:\n\Z4i)\Zn Fixed bug where if you disabled Wifi, when wifi had not been enabled the network would be come corrupt.\n\n\Z4ii)\Zn Tweaked the 'Update Script' code to add Release Notes and added option to download if a new version if found on startup."
that show up with prompt that a new version is available, upgrade and view changelog.

Thanks folks and thats it For XCI

Some of us are not as healthy or lucky, real live sucks Sad

- johan_tre - 2011-01-05

OK
Regarding the failing install: point proven

Installation done:
* Karmic server only
* XBMC + 195 newer nvidia + alsa 1.0.23 in one go.

Same ghost process problem.
Looking into the xci-installer.log: twice the line below.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for x-terminal-emulator
And honestly speaking, I believe not nvidia, but this one is the real problem.

Any help or tips about the error above are welcome, cause the x-term thing is unknown stuff for me.

Downstairs I have the same box running, on nvidia 260, with alsa 1.0.23, and it runs stable for few weeks now. So I believe it's fine.

Regarding the 1.0.23 alsa installation:
Download the alsa-info script at Alsa's website.
make it executable by:
Code:
sudo chmod +x alsa-info.sh
run it by:
Code:
sudo bash alsa-info.sh --stdout > alsa-info.log

check the alsa-info.log by
Code:
sudo nano alsa-info.log
At the "ALSA Version" section you'll find
Driver
Library
Utilities version.
It should all be set to 1.0.23.
XCI's install has all but the driver only set to 1.0.20.
(that is, following the install as stated above)
Alsa's docs state clear: they all should be set to the same, otherwise hungup's crashes etc.

I'll post my findings after investigation of both subjects.

rgd's

- X3lectric - 2011-01-06

You have to follow these instructions step by step and should go ok.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2

and then run the script...

Karmic installer has many bugs this is the best workaround I found.

Asla I suspect as much since it is backported form maveick which handles alsa entirely differently,so someone with better knowledge of packaging if they kindly help port alsa 1.0.23 to karmic 100% would resolve this ( Ill give write privileges if anyone can help). (warning added to 1.0,23 alsa) on 1.0998 XCI version.

On ppas I only have issues with alsa,and lm-sensors I cant get them to play nice, Im not that experience d anyways and learned it in two weeks hafl backed with no sleep, I pretty much have the rest sorted, though now were on a difficult retirement stage...

I may even do all the drivers properly for Karmic and lucid if I feel I can do it, but I wont make any promises.

Any additions to script must be added be whoever suggests them. I believe the only remaining issue is resume/wake/suspend issues but I haven't suffered any...

FOr a script this big 1 script bug one ppa bug and another uncertain at this stage I call that VERY good.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141#p511

Personally MY HTPC using XCI is working 110% minus xbmc bugs.

idk.... We need volunteers to come up and help otherwise everyone looses out. Is there no one? not a single person?

- johan_tre - 2011-01-06

Hey X3lectric,

What I can do is rerun your proposed steps, but I have the impression that these are the same steps I've done a hundred times, I know them by heart Smile

Dunno exactly what the backport means...
Fact is: that you're running with 1.0.20 drivers. I've read some weeks ago something about that, saying it has something to do with your linux kernel. As I understood it, having the driver version still on 1.0.20. means you're still running your old version of the kernel.

I can post here my script, it's quite simple.
The way it works: wget from alsa site and make, configure & install the stuff.

Can you give me access to the code?
My solution would be to kick out the ppa solution, and paste in my script.
But that would break your efforts for the ppa's which is always a nicer solution I think.
Though the results should be the same: a full 1.0.23 version.

Another problem is still the xorg.
So if the there is no solution for that, giving me svn access is useless, since xbmc doens't evens start. Smile

rgdz

- X3lectric - 2011-01-06

Quote:What I can do is rerun your proposed steps, but I have the impression that these are the same steps I've done a hundred times, I know them by heart
Those are the only way XCI will work best, because of minimal karmic installer bugs, e.g. you end up with open office installed amongst other program a HTPC does NOT need.
Besides its been tested to death by dozens of beta testers.

I wouldn't have bothered writing a how to if there weren't any problems with the NORMAL way of installing it which affect everything.

Quote:Dunno exactly what the backport means...
Fact is: that you're running with 1.0.20 drivers. I've read some weeks ago something about that, saying it has something to do with your linux kernel. As I understood it, having the driver version still on 1.0.20. means you're still running your old version of the kernel.
Its apparent you have little knowledge of common Linux terminology, maybe a language barrier? I never asked where your from.

You just say it doesn't work... when it could be simply error on my part, (because I am inexperienced and noone helps me do anything e.g. backporting) Or it could be the version I backported was buggy to begin with.

without YOU knowing the processes you will never understand how it works and why its broken.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Please don't say fact is, when you don't understand what a backport is and why its may not work ok. which I know its not running ok...

I invite you to read ubuntu documentation

I've tried to explain to you that maverick where I took alsa 1.0.23 and alsa-utils and some other critical alsa component I forget now. in a development environment changed files so they would compile in karmic. (they did with no warning or errors)

Now karmic generally handles alsa in a different way to maverick, (see dependencies or initializing code) (i cant tell you specifics google has it somewhere)

Karmic alsa doesn't support multichannel audio hence the need to have updated packages.

The way maverick requires calls on alsa and uses alsa is clearly VERY different from karmic I mean its like comparing a jet plane (maverick) and a Cessna (propeller powered) they both use fule and both fly but they use different methods of propulsion.

Quote:I can post here my script, it's quite simple.
The way it works: wget from alsa site and make, configure & install the stuff.
My solution would be to kick out the ppa solution, and paste in my script.
But that would break your efforts for the ppa's which is always a nicer solution I think.
Though the results should be the same: a full 1.0.23 version.
Compile any package manually by downloading the source is a temporary solution. a script should avoid temporary solutions, or offer the choice of using ppa or compiling. (this is where the menu system starts to show its power in XCI)

problem is with ever major update you need to re-run these things manually so they become available to system again.

This is why using PPA over manual compile is better because its automatic.

Alos there already is a PROPER manual compile script, both in xbmc source and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810

Quote:Can you give me access to the code?
What code? XCI code you mean? or something else? if you want XCI code here it is

Quote:Another problem is still the xorg.
So if the there is no solution for that, giving me svn access is useless, since xbmc doesn't evens start
Ive already said to you there is no SVN for XCI because its way too small and only 1 person working with it, so you just download script and edit it with nano, vim, or if your using a desktop gedit

And there is no problem with xorg, its video drivers or the grubpc bootline. BTW XCI needs XBMC as user and needs grub2 all is explained in guide.

regards.