Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware (/showthread.php?tid=70068)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- TheSwissKnife - 2010-12-01

X3lectric Wrote:clearly my post fell into death ears. DOes anyone bother reading facts before posting?

Its more like The blurays are 24p in their majority while only some are 23.976... since 24p has been widely used and accepted over other fps.

Not sure what you mean but I have read, and I believe I do know the facts - so I hope you were not suggesting I hadn't. To repeat myself Blurays are 23.976 (24/1.001) in the majority (adjusted from cinema 24p form to suit NTSC equipment), but some are 24.000 and these are usually European.

A very good list can be found here (though I am not simply basing it on that as I have some 24.000 myself):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731

- X3lectric - 2010-12-01

oh never mind...

X3lectric Wrote:oh never mind...

That is not very helpful to anyone. Either you made an honest mistake and you could admit and correct it, or you still don't agree and could explain further...either way it would be courteous to add something after the strong comment "DOes anyone bother reading facts before posting?".

- Superorb - 2010-12-01

X3lectric Wrote:clearly my post fell into death ears.

It's "fell on deaf ears" Wink

- X3lectric - 2010-12-01

Im not gonna turn this into a flaming war, I stand for the facts that are posted by reputable sources on wikipedia.

I believe my posts were the most comprehesive explanation and clarification about fps, if no one finds facts useful, it not my problem...

I have explained in detail and thers links for people to verify the information I posted...

@ superorb

thx for nitpicking Wink ive corrected it.... just in case...

X3lectric Wrote:Im not gonna turn this into a flaming war, I stand for the facts that are posted by reputable sources on wikipedia.

I believe my posts were the most comprehesive explanation and clarification about fps, if no one finds facts useful, it not my problem...

I have explained in detail and thers links for people to verify the information I posted...

It seems you are misunderstanding the facts though. I too don't care for any flaming wars, but do care that misinformation is quickly refuted.

Please confirm that whether you believe (or not) that Bluray films from cinematic 24p source typically come in two forms: 23.976 (ie 24/1.001) fps and 24.000fps. Note that they can also come in other forms eg I have "The Crow" in 25.000fps. The technical reason for using 23.976 is not really important for this thread, but the fact that the media is designed to playback at those frame rates is (regardless of the methods available to play them at different speeds).

If you do not believe this to be true simply provide the evidence or reference statements that lead you to this conclusion - simply for the benefit of everyone reading, no more no less.

- ikus060 - 2010-12-02

Any one can tell me why I do have issue with video playback @ 24fps using a HDMI cable but I don't have any problem using a VGA cable ?

Is there a resampling done by the video card when using the VGA cable ?

XBMC Live 9.11 Video Skip and Jump - sashah - 2010-12-02

Hi,

My videos often randomly skip, they will just randomly jump a few minutes back/forward in the video file. Any advice on the videocache options??

Does XBMC keep any error logs so I can see why exactly this might be happening?

This is really annoying because apart from this the playback is perfect (inc 1080p MKVs). I have a Zotac MB - Intel Atom Dual Core with Nvidia Ion GPU

I tried making an advanced config but it made no difference:

- <advancedsettings>
- <cache>
<harddisk>16384</harddisk>
</cache>
- <cachevideo>
<dvdrom>1024</dvdrom>
<internet>1024</internet>
<lan>1024</lan>
</cachevideo>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks in advance.

- lazysalamander - 2010-12-05

This worked really well on Ubuntu 10.10 on a Sony Vaio F series with an nvidia 8400M outputting to an LG LD550

Thanks Big Grin

- Mike8913 - 2010-12-08

running the command

for i in 24 60; do xrandr -r $i; nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate | grep -o "[0-9][0-9].*Hz"; done

results in an error saying the display is not defined.

any suggestions. Also I wanted to edit my Xorg.conf to set "noflip" to true but using webmin I cant locate that file. I'm running RC2 Live. . .

Still not working - bennyshaik - 2010-12-09

I ran your script just now (after days of googling to no avail).

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with an nVidia GT240 on a 40" Sony 1080p LCD-TV. Your script worked, I am now seeing things in the correct fps, according to that initial code, but XBMC still is not playing 1080p videos. It runs around 18fps about 30 frames before I can even start counting. I know its not my hardware, XBMC worked fine on Windows 7 and these same files run fine with VLC player.

Unfortunately, the only thing the script seemed to do was disable composite which screws up my desktop GUI in gnome (still usable and I'd get over the black bar if only it made my movies play cleanly!).

I'm confused because gnome can't be any more resource heavy than Windows and XBMC can't be that much worse in that regard than VLC.

All my drivers are up to date, everything should be good, but its not. XBMC works just fine with any 720p or lower file. Help!

- Superorb - 2010-12-09

bennyshaik Wrote:I ran your script just now (after days of googling to no avail).

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with an nVidia GT240 on a 40" Sony 1080p LCD-TV. Your script worked, I am now seeing things in the correct fps, according to that initial code, but XBMC still is not playing 1080p videos. It runs around 18fps about 30 frames before I can even start counting. I know its not my hardware, XBMC worked fine on Windows 7 and these same files run fine with VLC player.

Unfortunately, the only thing the script seemed to do was disable composite which screws up my desktop GUI in gnome (still usable and I'd get over the black bar if only it made my movies play cleanly!).

I'm confused because gnome can't be any more resource heavy than Windows and XBMC can't be that much worse in that regard than VLC.

All my drivers are up to date, everything should be good, but its not. XBMC works just fine with any 720p or lower file. Help!
With a GT240 you shouldn't have any problem running ANY content. Did you enable VDPAU? I'm using an old Pentium 4 single core with a Geforce 8400GS and I can run 1080p high bit rates easily.

- bennyshaik - 2010-12-09

Superorb Wrote:With a GT240 you shouldn't have any problem running ANY content. Did you enable VDPAU? I'm using an old Pentium 4 single core with a Geforce 8400GS and I can run 1080p high bit rates easily.

VDPAU enabled is even worse.

- Superorb - 2010-12-09

^^ What version nVidia drivers are you using?

- bennyshaik - 2010-12-09

Superorb Wrote:^^ What version nVidia drivers are you using?

At this point, I don't even know. I tried a smorgasbord of google solutions to this problem and have in the process screwed all that stuff up (currently running in low graphics mode and can't fix it). Throwing openSUSE on now because Google tells me that a lot of people have this problem with Ubuntu (see: we are on page 33 of this thread) and that no one has this problem with openSUSE.

I'll report back in 24 hours whether the issue has been resolved or not.