Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware (/showthread.php?tid=70068)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- Superorb - 2010-12-09

bennyshaik Wrote:At this point, I don't even know. I tried a smorgasbord of google solutions to this problem and have in the process screwed all that stuff up (currently running in low graphics mode and can't fix it). Throwing openSUSE on now because Google tells me that a lot of people have this problem with Ubuntu (see: we are on page 33 of this thread) and that no one has this problem with openSUSE.

I'll report back in 24 hours whether the issue has been resolved or not.
When I get unrecoverable problems I just reinstall XBMC Live and wipe the drive in the process. It's a quick install and I have all the beginning steps written down b/c I did it so many times in the past. Of course, this was all with an older version so I'm ntot sure what to do now with the newest versions.

- bennyshaik - 2010-12-09

Superorb Wrote:When I get unrecoverable problems I just reinstall XBMC Live and wipe the drive in the process. It's a quick install and I have all the beginning steps written down b/c I did it so many times in the past. Of course, this was all with an older version so I'm ntot sure what to do now with the newest versions.

I'm not using Live because the goal is to run XBMC with processes (like a torrent client) running in the background and a GUI desktop environment to do occasional web-browsing and other things (occasional large spreadsheet work, for example and possibly some gaming too).

I'm sure this can all be done with Live but I'm a newbie to Linux and XBMC as an OS and am figuring all this out as I go. After screwing nVidia up to the point of no return, and my roommate having tons of success with the most recent distro of openSUSE (and checking google and finding the 1080p playback issue nonexistent), I'm going to try that. KTorrent is the best client for RSS and Remote Management on Mac (laptop) anyway and its native to openSUSE so it really just makes sense to go all out with it.

We'll see how it works tonight when I get home and set it all up...

- Superorb - 2010-12-09

^^ If you need to use the system for stuff other than XBMC you'll want to run a full version of Linux.

xbmc linux problem - drago73 - 2010-12-11

dhcppc3:/home/drago # xbmc
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf":
No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf.append":
No such file or directory

xbmc cant start
please help me No

- senilio - 2010-12-12

drago73,

first of all, you are trying to run xbmc as root...

second, and most important, your post is completely unrelated to this thread. start a new one instead!

- johhhnnn - 2010-12-19

Hi,

Just a quick question about your script.

It has been working just great for me for months but ive just changed tv and had to re-run the script. However on my new tv the video seems to stutter very slightly every now and then (as if a frame is dropping or something).

My question is - when I re-run this for a new tv does it overwrite the old values in the config file or does it just add more lines to it?

If it just adds more lines then I'm thinking the problem is from xbmc using modes that my old tv supported but this one doesn't. If this is the case how do I delete your script and re-run it from new without a re-install?

If your script overwrites files then the problem isn't related and I'll have to try something else to fix my stutter!

Thanks

- thethirdnut - 2010-12-19

johhhnnn Wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question about your script.

It has been working just great for me for months but ive just changed tv and had to re-run the script. However on my new tv the video seems to stutter very slightly every now and then (as if a frame is dropping or something).

My question is - when I re-run this for a new tv does it overwrite the old values in the config file or does it just add more lines to it?

If it just adds more lines then I'm thinking the problem is from xbmc using modes that my old tv supported but this one doesn't. If this is the case how do I delete your script and re-run it from new without a re-install?

If your script overwrites files then the problem isn't related and I'll have to try something else to fix my stutter!

Thanks

FYI.

The script operates on /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I suspect that it generates a new version of the file each time.

If you want to back it up before editing run 'sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak'

- joethefox - 2010-12-24

Thank you for the script, you are my hero!
After following http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Install_miminal_Ubuntu, I have xbmc up and running in my linux box (ubuntu 10.10), but I have huge trouble after run your script when change video playback during another video playback (with refresh rate change): the new video starts black and the system seems to freeze and extremely slowly and sometimes instead of a black video I've got a green video (I can hear audio and seems to be ok). This happens in 95% of cases. If stops the current video and then start playback of another, everything works fine, with refresh rate match correct. Before run your script (but with film cadence problem) this action worked well.
NVIDIA drivers 260.19.29 from ubuntu-x-swat_x-updates. It's a vdpau issueHuh?

EDIT: Having re-read myself and this useful post How to post about a problem in a useful manner to get better help, I realized that my question isn't well formatted, my apologies. I'm preparing the help request in the correct manner Smile

- protonchris - 2010-12-28

I am using the changes recommended in this thread, a GT430 card and I have a lot of 1080i content. Am I better off including a 1080i mode or using a deinterlacer? If you suggest a deinterlacer, which one?

Thanks,
Chris.

- ((( atom ))) - 2010-12-30

Thank you, thank you, thank you! - Been fiddeling with the settings for a long time and just tried your guide - perfect results!

I'd suggest one addition the the Guide though: Since I live in a PAL Country, it is much nicer for me, to have the xbmc GUI running at 50 hz, so it doesn't switch resolutions for most of my movies, since they need 50 hz. I adjusted the xorg.conf from 1920x1080_60 to 1920x1880_50. I didn't try 24, but with more and more 24p content, I might need to switch to initial 24 hz soon.

Hmm, strange, went through your guide again and found that in my xorg.conf there is actually only ONE mode: 1920x1080_50. I used the script to change things. Still xbmc makes use of switching the modes to correct framerates.. Strange but good! Wink

- costi - 2010-12-30

Does this work as written in Dharma LiveCD, or are some changes in the commands necessary?

I assume all this can be done remotely via SSH?

Totally forgot to mention i am using ubuntu 10.10 and latest dharma. Don't know abouth live but just backup and try.

- ghansje - 2010-12-31

nevermind

- costi - 2011-01-03

I tried this configuration in Dharma-pvr 10 final tonight and I ran into a problem - I don't get any TV modes reported by Xorg. Tried both the script and manual mode. modes.txt is an empty file for me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file: http://pastebin.com/JaX0z2Sp