Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO achieve perfect playback at 23.97 or 59.94 Hz with NVIDIA GPU hardware (/showthread.php?tid=70068)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- Dergert - 2011-06-19

Thank you very much for this script. Sorted my problem.

- Robdeep - 2011-06-24

Is this script recommended for ION systems that only occasionally stutter as well? I'm running 10.1 live, and sometimes the video from a mkv file will pause but the audio will continue and then re-sync a few seconds later. Otherwise I rarely drop any frames even with high bit-rate content.

- fabridelo - 2011-07-04

Hello stefano85
Is possibile talk in private? I don't speak english well.
Bye

Ps come si fà a parlare in privato?

- jomo - 2011-08-09

Hello everyone !
I used this script successfully on an old ubuntu version (not sure 9 or 10, don't remember), but i still haven't been able to get rid of the jitters on Ubuntu 11.04 (+ last unstable vers. of XBMC)....
I have tried everything I could (xbmc and nvidia settings, xorg.conf created and modified manually)
I really don't know where the problem comes from (ubuntu, xbmc eden, nvidia drivers...)

Maybe somebody could help ?

My HT-PC :
Acer Revo 3600
Nvidia ION Platform
Atom N230
2Go RAM

Thx

- Stefanhvt - 2011-08-11

The Judder problem must be ION, VDPAU, DXVA2 related !

To many people experience this problems with hardware like asrock, or others.

It is unsolvable !

If it was truly xbmc or linux related than people would not experience this problems with players as VLC or others on a Windows Desktop. But even there the problem remains.

It must be a limitation of the hardware itself en al the other workarounds that are there to fix the 24p problem are just overlaying problems of the real core of the problem.

Everyone, I think it's best to stop looking for a solution and buy a system that is capable of viewing 1080p without extended hardware acceleration.

- Jönke - 2011-08-11

Try one of openelecs latest pre eden builds it reduces the framedrops to almost 0 ! 24p works direct out of the box!! Picture is very smooth and nice. Far the best of all i tested. Im on ion ver. And have Asrock 330ht. + the remote also works.

- Superorb - 2011-08-12

Jönke Wrote:Try one of openelecs latest pre eden builds it reduces the framedrops to almost 0 ! 24p works direct out of the box!! Picture is very smooth and nice. Far the best of all i tested. Im on ion ver. And have Asrock 330ht. + the remote also works.
The August 7th version? That's the one I'm on and it only drops 1 frame when starting the Killa Sample 42Mbps clip. This is on a Giada cube 330/ION.

- Stefanhvt - 2011-08-13

Jönke Wrote:Try one of openelecs latest pre eden builds it reduces the framedrops to almost 0 ! 24p works direct out of the box!! Picture is very smooth and nice. Far the best of all i tested. Im on ion ver. And have Asrock 330ht. + the remote also works.

I will try this when i get home. I've heard a lot positive news about openelec so it's worth to give it a try.

You name the pre eden builds. Is that a combining name of al specific releases or is the name pointing to one specific release ?

I will try the ion build for now cause I think that's the build you are referring to.

- Stefanhvt - 2011-08-16

I'm now on the newest release of openelec eden and I must say it's almost perfect. It's not completely in sync yet but this makes the movies watchable.

Next step is to make it 100 % perfect without any framedrops or whatsoever. But for now I'm quite happy and I can enjoy my movies.

The last thing I was wondering about is what in the openelec releases actually does the trick ?

Anyone ?

Some clarification please - User 99988 - 2011-09-04

I've been reading through this whole thread to get some clarification on who needs this script and why. I think I've learned a lot, but not everything there is to learn.

Could someone please explain what exactly goes wrong by default? This is what I understood: By default, for 23.976fps content, XBMC switches the TV's refresh rate to 24Hz, instead of the wanted 23.976Hz. Did I get this correctly?

I'm using XBMC Live (the current stable Dharma 10.1 release from xbmc.org) with a Geforce 210 on my Sony Bravia, connected using HDMI. I didn't change anything with xorg or xandr, just enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video". When playing back 23.976Hz content, my TV shows: 1080p/24p. The playback is really smooth, except I get juddering for a few seconds every 40 to 60 minutes of playback. This always seems to occur in slow scenes, never noticed it in action (=high bitrate) scenes.

Now of course I'm asking myself if this might have to do with my content (=23.976fps) and my TV (24Hz) beeing slightly out of sync. Or would that cause more massive problems? Or is my TV maybe already playing back at 23.976Hz?

In the end, I'd like to know if I should run this script or not. I don't like to apply settings I don't understand, that's why I won't just download it and try. Maybe you guys can clarify this for me.
Thanks!

- thethirdnut - 2011-09-04

In short I'd say backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf before trying the script and give it a whirl. Got nothing to lose.

Lots of setups won't / 'don't know how to' run at proper 24 Hz framerate without this script.

- Superorb - 2011-09-04

Another thing to note is that while the TV may say 24p, it may actually be correctly displaying 23.976fps.

- User 99988 - 2011-09-04

Superorb Wrote:Another thing to note is that while the TV may say 24p, it may actually be correctly displaying 23.976fps.

Is there some way I can find out what is actually being output by XBMC / played back on my TV? I mean whether it's 24Hz or 23.976Hz?
Would the effect of playing back 23.976Hz content with 24Hz be clearly noticeable?

Does this command give me information about this?
Code:
for i in 24 60; do xrandr -r $i; nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate | grep -o "[0-9][0-9].*Hz"; done

thethirdnut Wrote:In short I'd say backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf before trying the script and give it a whirl. Got nothing to lose.

Lots of setups won't / 'don't know how to' run at proper 24 Hz framerate without this script.

You're probably right. On the other hand, I don't have big problems now, so I wouldn't know what's actually happening. I like to understand what I do and why, so I'd like to get some backround info first.

Does this script run without problems under my installation of 10.1 Dharma Live?

- User 99988 - 2011-09-05

I just ran the above command and got the following output:

Code:
23.97 Hz
60.00 Hz

This is before running a script on a Sony KDL-46V5500 which supposedly supports 48Hz for 24p playback and 50Hz. That's at least what some sites say.

Edit: Wanted to find out the available modes, by running this command from post #1:
Code:
sed -n '/- Modes/,/- End/p' /var/log/Xorg.0.log | sed 's/.*(0)://g' > $HOME/Desktop/modes.txt

But the modes.txt file is empty. Here's my Xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/MAzCMnPB

- otcho - 2011-09-06

Hey,

when I try to run this script, I get errors in step 2,3 and 4.
The output says
Code:
stop: Unknown instance:

Any ideas? I run XBMCLive (build from 09/06) on an ASUS AT3IONT-I