Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- malte - 2011-09-18

You are trying to use the scrapers thegamesdb, giantbomb and maws.mameworld and none of them finds the game (maws is only used for MAME games).

The rom file is named "MSlugX.img" and that is the name RCB uses to search the game. It won't even find it on mobygames with this name. If you rename the file to "Metal Slug X.img" and use mobygames as scraper the game should be imported.

- Domina - 2011-09-18

malte Wrote:Rating will be some extra work because the info has to be downloaded and stored somewhere. It is already on my list, but it has a lower priority.

Console is already possible. You can use the placeholder %ROMCOLLECTION% to display system specific images. But atm this is not handled very well. I want to improve this in one of the next versions.

Thank malte, worked bring up the logo, but only in view (thumbs) does not appear in the other two.

About Rating, would not be possible for now put it offline, a tag "rating" in the nfo for the person to manually?

Thanks!

- AssChin79 - 2011-09-18

Thanks Malte for this great addon!

I've been using it for a few days now and the only real complaint I have is that I have a 55 inch HDTV and by default if a game doesn't have fanart then RCB uses the game's front box as the background and stretches it to ridiculous per-portions. It looks really terrible.

Also, if the scrapers pulls down some jibberish instead of the intended game plot/review there is no way to edit it.

I ultimately created a little C# program that assigns a default background/fanart image and provides a simple UI to edit data in the MyGames.db database to address these issues but other than that that... I LOVE this app!

- stone2 - 2011-09-19

Hi all, Is there an idot proof guide to setting this wonderful plugin up?
I can get to installing the plugin but I don't know how to install the emulater or which version of emulator. I want to run MAME.
Cheers for any help.

- malte - 2011-09-19

Domina Wrote:Thank malte, worked bring up the logo, but only in view (thumbs) does not appear in the other two.
Yes, I think I just forgot to add this to the other views. Will fix in next version.

AssChin79 Wrote:I've been using it for a few days now and the only real complaint I have is that I have a 55 inch HDTV and by default if a game doesn't have fanart then RCB uses the game's front box as the background and stretches it to ridiculous per-portions. It looks really terrible.
You could also edit the fallback images via configuration in config.xml.

AssChin79 Wrote:Also, if the scrapers pulls down some jibberish instead of the intended game plot/review there is no way to edit it.
Only way to edit games is to use local nfo files. You can edit and reimport them. Not nice but it works quite ok. I want to add an edit option in a later release.

Local nfo scraper is explained here.

AssChin79 Wrote:I ultimately created a little C# program that assigns a default background/fanart image and provides a simple UI to edit data in the MyGames.db database to address these issues but other than that that... I LOVE this app!
Cool. Are you willing to share this app? Maybe other users may benefit, too. Also, if you would like to maintain it, I could give you early warnings if there will be bigger changes to db layout or something similar.

stone2 Wrote:Hi all, Is there an idot proof guide to setting this wonderful plugin up?
I can get to installing the plugin but I don't know how to install the emulater or which version of emulator. I want to run MAME.
Cheers for any help.
Setup of RCB is explained in RCBs wiki. There is a short tutorial video how to set it up via the wizard. But I guess you are already behind this step?

A great ressource for emulator setup is Angelscrys wiki. You can use most of the parameters explained in this wiki in RCB, too.

- AssChin79 - 2011-09-19

malte Wrote:Cool. Are you willing to share this app? Maybe other users may benefit, too. Also, if you would like to maintain it, I could give you early warnings if there will be bigger changes to db layout or something similar.

Sure, I'll share it. Be warned though that its C#.NET (so that means Windows only --that might rub some people the wrong way).

I'll try to get a google code repo setup for it this week.

games not found - ricardonj - 2011-09-24

I just decided to rebuild my rom collection and found your wonderfull plug in. It's everything I was looking for. My only problem is that when it scrapes it doesnt find everything, and those not found games dont get listed at all in the browser. It would be great to still list games it couldnt scrape info on and maybe display some default artwork for the game system. Then maybe have some options for an assisted scrape on each of those games. I've already tried the 3 different scrape methods to get the most info possible, but things still go missing. The roms I'm using come from Retro Legends 6666 in 1 ROM pack, and the scraping identifies less than half.

Thanks again for all your great work.

- sunfizz98 - 2011-09-24

@malte
My current problem is that RCB doesn't import any descriptions or artwork for any of my Touhou games. From what I understand, RCB does not import any artwork from giantbomb. However, the game I'm trying to import exists in both giantbomb and mobygames, yet the game is not imported with any data.

Ex. Touhou 06 - The Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil

I have mine setup to scrape thegamesdb, giantbomb, and mobygames. Out of the three, giantbomb has the most data and content for my touhou games, but RCB seems to be unable to scrape any data from any of the specified trackers. I can import them just fine if I unchecked the options to import games without descriptions and artwork, but that seems to defeat the purpose.

I would also like to request a feature to psuedo(fake) fullscreen xbmc when executing a windows game that wants to fullscreen. My games give me an error when trying to fullscreen since xbmc is already fullscreen

- malte - 2011-09-24

@AssChin79: Great! This looks promising. If you need any help don't care to ask.

ricardonj Wrote:I just decided to rebuild my rom collection and found your wonderfull plug in. It's everything I was looking for. My only problem is that when it scrapes it doesnt find everything, and those not found games dont get listed at all in the browser. It would be great to still list games it couldnt scrape info on and maybe display some default artwork for the game system. Then maybe have some options for an assisted scrape on each of those games. I've already tried the 3 different scrape methods to get the most info possible, but things still go missing. The roms I'm using come from Retro Legends 6666 in 1 ROM pack, and the scraping identifies less than half.
You can import the games without description and artwork if you edit the default values in Add-on settings: described here.

Default artwork and better scrape assistance for single games are on my list for one of the next releases. But the list is long and time is short.

sunfizz98 Wrote:My current problem is that RCB doesn't import any descriptions or artwork for any of my Touhou games. From what I understand, RCB does not import any artwork from giantbomb. However, the game I'm trying to import exists in both giantbomb and mobygames, yet the game is not imported with any data.

Ex. Touhou 06 - The Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil

I have mine setup to scrape thegamesdb, giantbomb, and mobygames. Out of the three, giantbomb has the most data and content for my touhou games, but RCB seems to be unable to scrape any data from any of the specified trackers. I can import them just fine if I unchecked the options to import games without descriptions and artwork, but that seems to defeat the purpose.
I just tested to import "Touhou 06 - The Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil" and it works fine for me. Is your lnk file named like the game you are searching for? It may not work if its name is very different from the game name. I just named it "Touhou 06 - The Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil.lnk".

If you still have problems importing the games you can upload xbmcs log file to pastebin and post the link here. I will check what is going wrong.

Quote:I would also like to request a feature to psuedo(fake) fullscreen xbmc when executing a windows game that wants to fullscreen. My games give me an error when trying to fullscreen since xbmc is already fullscreen
This feature is already implemented in XBMC: In System/Settings -> Video Output -> Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen

- noiro - 2011-09-24

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. But I have a niggling question. I went through and added my SNES Rom collection through the steps on the instruction and everything worked out great. Eek Which was a shock for a change Big Grin

However thegamedb scraper is not pulling in any boxart. I rescraped with mobygames but i much prefer the art on thegamesdb (For one it lacks the watermark which infuriates me to no end) is this something I'm doing wrong?

Again i'm sorry if this has been covered already i've google for about an hour to try and find info but i might be missing something.

EDIT: Also, sorry but why when I add another rom collection does it rescrape _everything_? I went in to add my PSX disk images and it is currently rescraping my SNES,NES, and N64 rom collection. (all 1500+ of them)

- cfg9000 - 2011-09-24

Can roms be in .smc format? I have a folder with about a dozen roms in it, and this add-on isn't seeing them at all, no matter what I do.

EDIT: Disregard, I forgot to set the file mask.

- xbmc17 - 2011-09-24

Domina Wrote:Thank malte, worked bring up the logo, but only in view (thumbs) does not appear in the other two.

About Rating, would not be possible for now put it offline, a tag "rating" in the nfo for the person to manually?

Thanks!

Wow, is that Confluence? Did you do anything special to make it look that amazing?

- malte - 2011-09-25

noiro Wrote:However thegamedb scraper is not pulling in any boxart. I rescraped with mobygames but i much prefer the art on thegamesdb (For one it lacks the watermark which infuriates me to no end) is this something I'm doing wrong?
Which version of RCB are you using? If I remember correctly I disabled artwork download for thegamesdb in older versions (< 0.9.0) because artwork has not been platform safe. Since 0.9.1 this should work again.

noiro Wrote:EDIT: Also, sorry but why when I add another rom collection does it rescrape _everything_? I went in to add my PSX disk images and it is currently rescraping my SNES,NES, and N64 rom collection. (all 1500+ of them)
This is configurable in two places: When starting the import you select which Rom Collection you want to import. If you select "ALL" it will rescan all Rom Collections. But usually it should skip already imported games and just check games that could not be found during the first scan. This can be set with the option "Always rescan imported games" in Add-on settings.

- cfg9000 - 2011-09-25

Does anyone know a working argument set for epsxe? I've tried -loadiso, but whenever I launch epsxe through XBMC, all of epsxe's plugin settings vanish and I have to configure epsxe again. This doesn't happen if I launch epsxe manually.

- Domina - 2011-09-25

xbmc17 Wrote:Wow, is that Confluence? Did you do anything special to make it look that amazing?

The only thing you may see differently can be the source, because I'm using aeon MQ3 outside it, is the visual confluence.