Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- malte - 2010-06-09

Great;-)

I will add this as a 4th option. I always wanted to create something like a wall view. This is close I think.

Release V0.6 is prepared for skinning support (all game properties and images of the main view are available as properties in the skin now). I want to write a short skinning guide when I release it and hope someone will come up with a new look. I am not very creative when it comes to skinning...

About memory issues: I found a way to parse large files with less memory consumption but I have to rewrite some parts of my import routines. Not sure if it will work but I will try this in the next days. Don't spend too much time with importing large collections. Maybe it will be much easier in a few days.

- CrickDo666 - 2010-06-09

is there a post for a working xbox v of this script? where? thanx in advance

- Paybac - 2010-06-09

Go to the link below grab v0.6e
http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+Size+DownloadCount

The only changes you should need to do is create a config.xml and put it in the resources database folder.

For help with the config and setup etc, check the link in the first post to Malte's wiki, lots of good info there. Post back let us know how you getting on.

Here is an example of my config.xml, you may want to add just one emu/rom collection at a time, until you have your settings right.

http://pastebin.com/eZwjs5YD

- malte - 2010-06-09

One note on using the test versions: You are encouraged to use them and report feedback here if you encounter any errors or have feature suggestions. You can always use Paybacs link and grab the latest available version. But they may contain undocumented features that require special configuration or behaviour may differ from documentation in the wiki. The wiki is always referencing the latest "stable" version. But I will add a fully commented confg.xml soon. This should always be up to date.

Also note that I don't test these versions on every system. Maybe it works on xbox but has problems on linux or vice versa. The stable versions are tested on windows, linux and (since release V0.6) on xbox.

- boskee - 2010-06-09

Hey.

First of all thank you for your plugin - it's really good. I was working on the skin for Aeon Hitched and here is how it looks like right now:

Still have to change a lot (like default icons should be game related), but I've added all the views that Aeon has and made loads of changes to your gui.py (that's why it's very unlikely i will release my thing Blush ). I've replaced filter controls with pseudo-directories so it feels more like browsing movies (there are Console/Title/Genre/Publisher and Year directories from which you can access your ROM collection).

Anyways, once again thanks for this script and giving me a good reason to start playing with Python again.

Ps. The includes.xml file doesn't work and it looks like it's impossible to have includes in script skins Stare Is there any workaround for that?

- malte - 2010-06-10

Really nice. Is there a chance that you upload your gui.py and the skin.xml somewhere? Maybe we could merge some things and release your skin anyway. You can PM me if you don't want to have it public in its wip state.

Regards,
malte

- wimpy - 2010-06-11

boskee Wrote:Hey.

First of all thank you for your plugin - it's really good. I was working on the skin for Aeon Hitched and here is how it looks like right now:

Still have to change a lot (like default icons should be game related), but I've added all the views that Aeon has and made loads of changes to your gui.py (that's why it's very unlikely i will release my thing Blush ). I've replaced filter controls with pseudo-directories so it feels more like browsing movies (there are Console/Title/Genre/Publisher and Year directories from which you can access your ROM collection).

Anyways, once again thanks for this script and giving me a good reason to start playing with Python again.

Ps. The includes.xml file doesn't work and it looks like it's impossible to have includes in script skins Stare Is there any workaround for that?

Sound (and looks) good! Excellent work! :-)
Pseudo-dirs sounds like a great way of getting the "xbmc" feel to browsing the games!

- Paybac - 2010-06-11

Some ideas for feature additions:

1.A Favourites or Playlist/ Bookmark type function. For all you favourite games. Should support multiple lists so people can have top 10 NES games etc

2.This may already work? Reading or Images/Artwork over the network. alot of the Emus are reading Roms of the network now. It works in Linux not sure about xbox?

3.Support for Netplay? Duno if this is possible. It is working in a few of the Emus.

4.Optional Background music in RCB, abilty to play this in preference to the trailer movie sound, Sound changes to the trailer if the trailer is selected.

5.User added ratings.

6.An overview type page, one that contains which Emus are under which system etc how many games are linked to each system/Emu(s)

7.Add current Emu to the info view (this could help with debugging if people are having trouble playing games) Possibly an option to try another emu if multiple are available. This could possibly be added in the contact menu.

8. RSS feed support, so we can have RSS feed in RCB, would be nice if we could play different feeds other then the ones on the main page. Would be nice to have specific retro gaming feeds whilst in RCB

9.Kitchen Sink

There i think that is about all my current ideas Smile

- wimpy - 2010-06-11

Paybac Wrote:Some ideas for feature additions:

1.A Favourites or Playlist/ Bookmark type function. For all you favourite games. Should support multiple lists so people can have top 10 NES games etc

2.This may already work? Reading or Images/Artwork over the network. alot of the Emus are reading Roms of the network now. It works in Linux not sure about xbox?

3.Support for Netplay? Duno if this is possible. It is working in a few of the Emus.

4.Optional Background music in RCB, abilty to play this in preference to the trailer movie sound, Sound changes to the trailer if the trailer is selected.

5.User added ratings.

6.An overview type page, one that contains which Emus are under which system etc how many games are linked to each system/Emu(s)

7.Add current Emu to the info view (this could help with debugging if people are having trouble playing games) Possibly an option to try another emu if multiple are available. This could possibly be added in the contact menu.

8. RSS feed support, so we can have RSS feed in RCB, would be nice if we could play different feeds other then the ones on the main page. Would be nice to have specific retro gaming feeds whilst in RCB

9.Kitchen Sink

There i think that is about all my current ideas Smile

10) World domination? :>

- Paybac - 2010-06-11

haha, we don't want to push Malte to far Wimpy lol

- malte - 2010-06-11

Paybac Wrote:Some ideas for feature additions:

Feel free to add feature requests to my issues page: http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/issues/list. Just to make sure that they won't get lost. Maybe without "World domination". Don't wanna risk being banned there because google thinks I am business competition;-)

I am not sure if you need a google account or even have to be a project member to add and comment issues. Please let me know if I should add you as a member.

- malte - 2010-06-14

Hey Paybac (or anyone else who already tested large collections on xbox),

I just uploaded a new preview version: http://romcollectionbrowser.googlecode.com/files/Rom%20Collection%20Browser%20V0.6f.zip

There are some major changes in the import and parsing mechanism: It will now start to read the description file game by game and searches for a matching rom file. So I don't need to read the complete file into memory before I start importing games. That should reduce memory consumption to a minimum and will give a better progress feedback during import.

Would be great if you find the time to test this.

regards,
malte

- teeedubb - 2010-06-14

Does anyone know if this script will work on a windows DX current svn build?

- Paybac - 2010-06-15

Hey Malte, heres my update.log, sorry no Xbmc.log as for some reason it didnt record anythingHuh

I let it run for around 6hrs it only got up to 13/16 collections. then i turned it off. I then went back into RCB and only 27 Games had been added, most of them being Xbox games. I'm still using the RX .cuts and not auto creating like you suggested i should be, so guess that is probably where the problem lies.

http://pastebin.com/Px2HkB5R

- malte - 2010-06-15

Hey Paybac,

thanks for doing the load tests;-)

Paybac Wrote:sorry no Xbmc.log as for some reason it didnt record anything

XBMC did not create a log file or RCB did not write to it? I think it is ok that RCB did not write anything because you set it to log level WARNING (whats absolutely good in your case!).

Quote:I let it run for around 6hrs it only got up to 13/16 collections

Did you stop it because i hangs somewhere or did you just want to check the result? I know, this is painfully slow but it is a lot of work to do for a small machine like xbox. So I think this time could be normal.

If you think it hangs: What was the last reported step in the progress dialog?

Quote:I then went back into RCB and only 27 Games had been added, most of them being Xbox games

There are only some WARNINGs in your update.log. Nearly all of your games should have been imported fine. I think you already noticed the char filter on the right side? Try to play around with the filter settings and see if there are more results somewhere else.

How large is your MyGames.db? Do you have a chance to upload it somewhere? I could have a look inside if everything is imported. And it would be nice to have such a large db for testing purposes;-)