Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- thebearnecessit - 2012-03-01

Is there any way of me getting the correct boxart for my region? (uk in europe).

I don't have that many roms so was thinking i might be able to manually add the box art somehow?

Anyone able to offer any thoughts on if this is possible.

Amazing script, but very anti-climactic for me because I don't get the nostalgia of seeing all my old boxes.

Any help gratefully received.

- Tomkun - 2012-03-01

thebearnecessit Wrote:Is there any way of me getting the correct boxart for my region? (uk in europe).

I don't have that many roms so was thinking i might be able to manually add the box art somehow?

Anyone able to offer any thoughts on if this is possible.

Amazing script, but very anti-climactic for me because I don't get the nostalgia of seeing all my old boxes.

Any help gratefully received.
You'd need to get the covers yourself, as I don't think that this script can let you choose a region. The only sources I can think of are EmuXtras (WIP), or Hyperspin (needs registration and I'm not sure if they have UK covers or not).

Once you've got hold of them it should be a simple case of making sure they have the right filenames and overwriting the US covers.

Tomkun Wrote:You'd need to get the covers yourself, as I don't think that this script can let you choose a region. The only sources I can think of are EmuXtras (WIP), or Hyperspin (needs registration and I'm not sure if they have UK covers or not).

Once you've got hold of them it should be a simple case of making sure they have the right filenames and overwriting the US covers.

Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to post. Thank-you so much.

- malte - 2012-03-01

It is like Tomkun said. The current scrapers don't support region selection. It will be available one day but not in the near future.

malte Wrote:It is like Tomkun said. The current scrapers don't support region selection. It will be available one day but not in the near future.

nice one thanks so much for posting. i dont have any experience with emulators or emulator websites.

I'v tried Hyperspin and EmuXtras (cant get registered on EnuXtras) but I can't find any of the european boxes anywhere.

Do you guys know of any other websites i could try?

- st graveyard - 2012-03-01

Hey Bearnecessit,

Maybe a stupid tip but I just found the picture search on google quite interesting for this task as well. I've done some box searching for different regions ...

Good Luck,
Grave

Malte,

For some reason, my RCB script completely crashed so I re-installed the latest version. I will now start all over, but that is ok, it will be a good test to see if the changes I made to my local data get correctly implemented in the DB.

Also, when installing the latest version (link overhere in the thread), when rebooting XBMC it installed the latest version again (cause of the REPO I think). But this version is actually older than the link you provided last week, right?

Cheers,
Grave

- Tomkun - 2012-03-01

thebearnecessit Wrote:nice one thanks so much for posting. i dont have any experience with emulators or emulator websites.

I'v tried Hyperspin and EmuXtras (cant get registered on EnuXtras) but I can't find any of the european boxes anywhere.

Do you guys know of any other websites i could try?

I remember seeing some somewhere, but I dont remember where exactly. I'll get back to you.

Why can't you register at EmuXtras?

- Tomkun - 2012-03-01

Edit:

Just popped over to EmuXtras and saw that you already registered there... Also found this: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=1212
Too bad it's mega upload. Perhaps if you PM the guy he will set you up.

megadrive covers/box art - thebearnecessit - 2012-03-01

st graveyard Wrote:Hey Bearnecessit,

Maybe a stupid tip but I just found the picture search on google quite interesting for this task as well. I've done some box searching for different regions ...

Good Luck,
Grave

Thanks for the suggestion, I have t admit I hadnt even thought of that ! and i got a few from there, so cheers.

Tomkun Wrote:Edit:

Just popped over to EmuXtras and saw that you already registered there... Also found this: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=1212
Too bad it's mega upload. Perhaps if you PM the guy he will set you up.

Nice one, thank-you so much for taking the time to do that. very kind! I've pm's him and bumped the thread, good find mate.

I have another question though about the covers that I have downloaded.

I have replaced the genesis jpg files that were automatically downloaded by RCB with the new megadrive jpg files that I found through google. I made sure all the names were identical, and rebooted the PC. But its still the old covers showing in xbmc.

I have used these options but its still not sowing me my new covers..
1) import games on xbmc startup
2) always rescan imported games

So then, what have i done wrong chaps?

- malte - 2012-03-01

st graveyard Wrote:Also, when installing the latest version (link overhere in the thread), when rebooting XBMC it installed the latest version again (cause of the REPO I think). But this version is actually older than the link you provided last week, right?
No, atm you will be fine with it. Version 1.0.1 that comes from the Eden repo is same as 0.9.9 that you can download manually.

I guess I will change the version logic with the next release (releasing Eden versions as test and Dharma only for the repo).

- malte - 2012-03-01

thebearnecessit Wrote:I have another question though about the covers that I have downloaded.

I have replaced the genesis jpg files that were automatically downloaded by RCB with the new megadrive jpg files that I found through google. I made sure all the names were identical, and rebooted the PC. But its still the old covers showing in xbmc.

I have used these options but its still not sowing me my new covers..
1) import games on xbmc startup
2) always rescan imported games

So then, what have i done wrong chaps?
I guess it is a caching thing. XBMC caches all thumbnails that it once displayed in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails". The paths to these thumbnails is stored in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database\TexturesX.db".

I am not sure if you can delete the whole thing (db and/or files). I once did it and had no problems. But you may do a backup and a forum search before you try.

hello Malte,

I have some nex things to report. Maybe bugs, I don't know.
It has (sadly) been a week since I used RCB. Now I started from scratch with all local data. I created a new rom collection with the wizard, added the links to my boxes, art, parser and local nfo files (not in the rom folder). Once you go through the wizard the collection is created and a new local scraper (in my case GENESIS).

First of all, if you add the games using this new scraper, the local nfo is not laoded in the DB. Even if you use the local nfo scraper afterwards, the nfo is not loaded. The solution would be to delete all games in the DB, copy all nfo files into the rom folder with the games and than use the local nfo scraper. Otherwise it just WON'T WORK. When this is done, all is nicely there in the db.

However, I found another weird thing. In my collection there is an edu game called 'art alive' which is not found with any scraper. So I created my own local nfo file for this game with info from wiki Wink But guess what, using the local nfo scraper, for this one game the info from the nfo files is not loaded in the db. You have any idea why? Does the local nfo scraper look elsewhere for info apart from the nfo file? I also note that for this game the title in XBMC is the filename of the rom, and not the title tag from the nfo file. weird, he...

Cheers,
Grave

- malte - 2012-03-01

st graveyard Wrote:I have some nex things to report. Maybe bugs, I don't know.
It has (sadly) been a week since I used RCB. Now I started from scratch with all local data. I created a new rom collection with the wizard, added the links to my boxes, art, parser and local nfo files (not in the rom folder). Once you go through the wizard the collection is created and a new local scraper (in my case GENESIS).

First of all, if you add the games using this new scraper, the local nfo is not laoded in the DB. Even if you use the local nfo scraper afterwards, the nfo is not loaded. The solution would be to delete all games in the DB, copy all nfo files into the rom folder with the games and than use the local nfo scraper. Otherwise it just WON'T WORK. When this is done, all is nicely there in the db.
I think there is still a misunderstanding about the usage of the local nfo scraper. Please check again my response to this question here:

Quote:I see. This is a misunderstanding and maybe a bit confusing by the addon. The "local nfo" scraper is different from a normal offline scraper where you need to set the path to parser and game description. You could just set all pathes to your artwork and select "Scrape game info online" as scraper selection. In game import dialog the "local nfo" scraper will be available anyway. But I see the confusion and will think about reordering the options in wizard to make it more clear.

st graveyard Wrote:However, I found another weird thing. In my collection there is an edu game called 'art alive' which is not found with any scraper. So I created my own local nfo file for this game with info from wiki But guess what, using the local nfo scraper, for this one game the info from the nfo files is not loaded in the db. You have any idea why? Does the local nfo scraper look elsewhere for info apart from the nfo file? I also note that for this game the title in XBMC is the filename of the rom, and not the title tag from the nfo file. weird, he...
No, the nfo scraper just checks the nfo file. Nothing else. Not sure if this also related to the usage of the nfo scraper or maybe a bug in the scraping process. Can you show me the log file when you try to import the game?

- st graveyard - 2012-03-02

Hey Malte,

What is confusing to me is that when I sue the newly created off line scraper 'Genesis', my nfo files are not read. I'm now checking the log and look at this :
Quote:0:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: current rom file: E:\Games\RomFiles\SegaGenesis\Hyperspin\Atomic Robo-Kid (USA).zip
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: gamename (file): Atomic Robo-Kid (USA).zip
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: gamename (friendly): Atomic Robo-Kid (USA)
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Start scraping info for game: Atomic Robo-Kid (USA)
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: using scraper: Genesis
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: handling zip file
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: crc in zipped file: 7CD8169E
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: description file for game Atomic Robo-Kid could not be found. Check if this path exists: E:\Games\Descriptions\Nieuwe map\SegaGenesis\Hyperspin\GameInfo\Atomic Robo-Kid.nfo
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Insert data
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Publisher : 'Publisher'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Developer : 'Developer'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: ReleaseYear : 'ReleaseYear'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: ReleaseYear : 'ReleaseYear'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Genre
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Reviewer : 'Reviewer'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Publisher : 'Publisher'
20:50:28 T:3528 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error while resolving item: Developer : 'Developer'

Look at the RCB Warning, look at the filename. When the off line scraper (not the locla info) scrapes my description files, it uses the game title instead of the rom file name. In this example the "(usa)" is missing. I have this with all the roms when using the genesis scraper...

When checking the log further, I see the local nfo scraper needs the nfo files in the rom dir. Regarding the "art alive" rom problem, I see this ;

Quote:21:03:14 T:2464 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Using nfoFile: E:\Games\RomFiles\SegaGenesis\Hyperspin\Art Alive (World).nfo
21:03:14 T:2464 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: description file (tokens replaced): E:\Games\RomFiles\SegaGenesis\Hyperspin\Art Alive (World).nfo
21:03:14 T:2464 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Encoding: utf-8
21:03:14 T:2464 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: an error occured while parsing game description: E:\Games\RomFiles\SegaGenesis\Hyperspin\Art Alive (World).nfo
21:03:14 T:2464 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Parser complains about: not well-formed (invalid token): line 6, column 122

I will check this one and let you know if I find it.

Sorry about all this Malte, but the confusing thing for me is that using the genesis scraper no nfo is imported. But I think I found a bug in the program here? Could that be?

Cheers