Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-05-12

Undertak2000 Wrote:I can only select already existing files in the emulator cmd. How can I use "open" as the emulator cmd?
It should also be somewhere on your system as a file. But I don't know where it is on the Mac.

If you don't find the file, you can edit your config.xml manually. You will find it in XBMC/userdata/addon_data/script.games.rom.collection.browser. Just search for the tag <emulatorCmd>...</emulatorCmd> and edit it like this:
Code:
<emulatorCmd>open</emulatorCmd>

dildotron2000 Wrote:I am having alot of problems with Rom collection manger, non of my psx emulators work althought they do work though advanced launcher and my games never stay listed they just disapear.
What are you doing and what is not working? And where do your games not stay listed? Please show me a log and try to explain your problem more in detail. I can't work with the statement above. Sorry.

binarybomber Wrote:I'm using XBMCbuntu, and booting to the XBMC only session. I have tried everything I can think of to get this to going, but nothin doin. I know the problem is I need a window manager to handle the emulators, and I've tried invoking Openbox and fluxbox to do this, but I can't get a go out of 'em.

I've made several scripts to try and make this a go, but nothings working. I get the same sort of booger...the emulator may or may not start, and if it does it only stays up for a moment, then screen goes black, and I have to reboot my system to get back to any menus of any kind.
Hmmm, I don't really know XBMCbuntu myself. So, when you boot into XBMC only session this means there is no other window manager working in background? And if so, is there another option to boot into XBMC with a window manager in background?

Problem is that RCBs solo mode just does a hard kill of XBMC. So there is no chance for XBMC to terminate normally and maybe launch another window manager instead. I don't know if your script solution will work because the emulator is not really started in the context of the window manager. Both are launched side by side as sub processes of another shell. But my linux knowledge is not deep enough to answer this correctly.

But when you say the emulator shows up, maybe there is just an error in your configuration? You can show me a log file after launching a game. Maybe I see something else that has to be changed.

{{INX}} Wrote:OK I finally got around to trying your suggestion Malte but still no artwork is showing. I really am at a loss, do you have any other suggestions?
So, you created the link and afterwards you imported your games again? Did you try to delete your MyGames.db before you imported your games? Maybe the old paths are still present in your database.

Another option is to use network drives instead of links. But this is just a technical difference. This should not influence the result in RCB. If it still does not work, please show me a log file again after you tried to import the games.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gman3042 - 2012-05-12

ok.. one small issue. i use zsnes. i have it set to go into full screen using the launch games option. but then when im finished with the rom, whether i press alt+f4 or esc, it closes out of zsnes, but xbmc is in a tiny tiny window (when it should be in full screen) and then it just crashes

any ideas?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-12

How can I add a rom manually? For some reason in my Wii Roms it's not going through the mario party 9 folder. I'd like to just manually point to where the rom is at. I only have two roms in there and New Super Mario Bros is found but that's the only folder and iso. Any ideas on why Mario Party 9 iso is not being recognized?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-05-13

Maleficium Wrote:Another thing that could be useful in the next versions of RCB its de capacity of search for artwork in subdirectories.

I'll thinking and working on this in the next days, lets see what happens
If you need some help you can try to bundle some games or dummy files along with artwork and your description files and send it to my email. This way I can check how RCB handles this situation and where it has problems. Maybe I have to change some things in code or have a suggestion what you need to change in your setup.

I added the sub directory request to my list. Will see if it makes sense.

SladeCraven Wrote:OK, understood. So how to perform a scraping session like "update new/unknown roms, do nothing for already imported ones" ?
Usually RCB won't touch roms that are already imported. But you need to deactivate Always rescan imported games in Addon settings.

SladeCraven Wrote:Argh. I have added my c64 disk collection, and the whole list is now +5000 items. The loading time becomes to a be a blocking point. Would it be possible to load and display only 100 randoms ROM at launch ? Or to wait the selection of a query before loading a list ?
No, not atm. But RCB always uses the last filter setting that was used on the last run. So, when you have some filters with less roms it will display the same set on next launch.

gman3042 Wrote:ok.. one small issue. i use zsnes. i have it set to go into full screen using the launch games option. but then when im finished with the rom, whether i press alt+f4 or esc, it closes out of zsnes, but xbmc is in a tiny tiny window (when it should be in full screen) and then it just crashes

any ideas?
Unfortunately this is a known issue. Only way to get around this atm is to use solo mode for launching games. I hope that I can fix it with one of the next versions.

tjcinnamon Wrote:How can I add a rom manually? For some reason in my Wii Roms it's not going through the mario party 9 folder. I'd like to just manually point to where the rom is at. I only have two roms in there and New Super Mario Bros is found but that's the only folder and iso. Any ideas on why Mario Party 9 iso is not being recognized?
Not possible to add roms manually atm but you can set RCB to import games even if there is no artwork or info found. Check the Addon settings.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - {{INX}} - 2012-05-13

(2012-05-12, 12:06)malte Wrote:
{{INX}} Wrote:OK I finally got around to trying your suggestion Malte but still no artwork is showing. I really am at a loss, do you have any other suggestions?
So, you created the link and afterwards you imported your games again? Did you try to delete your MyGames.db before you imported your games? Maybe the old paths are still present in your database.

Another option is to use network drives instead of links. But this is just a technical difference. This should not influence the result in RCB. If it still does not work, please show me a log file again after you tried to import the games.

Malte,
I did a fresh install of your addon and made sure no old files were present with no luck, network links is what i was using before. It's weird because everything works except for the images not showing.
Anyway I will have another play around with it later and see how it goes.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-05-13

(2012-05-13, 09:40)malte Wrote: If you need some help you can try to bundle some games or dummy files along with artwork and your description files and send it to my email. This way I can check how RCB handles this situation and where it has problems. Maybe I have to change some things in code or have a suggestion what you need to change in your setup.

At this point I was already able to import more than 12k unique games and their artwork with some changes in the 2nd pass description file (there's a few bugs yet since I'm making massive replacements and not editing each game description by itself). I had to move all the box images, snaps, titles to a single directory for each of them wintout the subdirectories otherwise the 1st pass don't find any artwork. Possibly there's an easy way to reach the point of what I want, just dind't found how Smile

I didn't found your mail elsewhere so I uploaded a zip to a file hoster with my original file struture, a couple games, artwork, emulator, parser and description files. I sent you the download (3.75MB) link in a PM.

You may try to import the games in a "normal" way with the exiting parser/description to check what RCB can't handle (Or I didn't found how to make it work for this filenames/directories).

Thanks for the help Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gman3042 - 2012-05-13

(2012-05-13, 09:40)malte Wrote:
gman3042 Wrote:ok.. one small issue. i use zsnes. i have it set to go into full screen using the launch games option. but then when im finished with the rom, whether i press alt+f4 or esc, it closes out of zsnes, but xbmc is in a tiny tiny window (when it should be in full screen) and then it just crashes

any ideas?
Unfortunately this is a known issue. Only way to get around this atm is to use solo mode for launching games. I hope that I can fix it with one of the next versions.

small potatoes bro... was just wondering if i was doing anything wrong. the program is perfect other than this, allowed a couple flaws..

unfortunately solo mode isn't applicable here, as i also use windows media center to launch xbmc (n very much the same way rcb works). so when i load xbmc, wmc closes. the only problem with using this is that when xbmc closes for solo mode, it loads up the rom and also wmc. i'm assuming there's no way around that since thats how solo mode works.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-13

(2012-05-13, 09:40)malte Wrote:
tjcinnamon Wrote:How can I add a rom manually? For some reason in my Wii Roms it's not going through the mario party 9 folder. I'd like to just manually point to where the rom is at. I only have two roms in there and New Super Mario Bros is found but that's the only folder and iso. Any ideas on why Mario Party 9 iso is not being recognized?
Not possible to add roms manually atm but you can set RCB to import games even if there is no artwork or info found. Check the Addon settings.

It seems like there should be artwork for a game as popular as mario party 9. I'll give it a shot.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-13

It now sees the iso but I'm surprised the game art wasn't found.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-05-13

Maleficium Wrote:I didn't found your mail elsewhere so I uploaded a zip to a file hoster with my original file struture, a couple games, artwork, emulator, parser and description files. I sent you the download (3.75MB) link in a PM.

You may try to import the games in a "normal" way with the exiting parser/description to check what RCB can't handle (Or I didn't found how to make it work for this filenames/directories).
Got the files and will check. But expect this to last some days as I have limited time these days.

gman3042 Wrote:unfortunately solo mode isn't applicable here, as i also use windows media center to launch xbmc (n very much the same way rcb works). so when i load xbmc, wmc closes. the only problem with using this is that when xbmc closes for solo mode, it loads up the rom and also wmc. i'm assuming there's no way around that since thats how solo mode works.
Sounds like a vicious circleSmile

tjcinnamon Wrote:It now sees the iso but I'm surprised the game art wasn't found.
You can show me the log file after you did an import again. Maybe I can see why it does not find the game.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-14

Sure. I'll try a simple rename first

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Chromedstang - 2012-05-14

Hello,

First off most awesome program ever. I love ROMs!

Here's my issue, I'm trying to get the info for Pokemon series on GBC I can find it on gamedb.net. I changed the names of the files and nothing. I got rid of that stupid E and replaced it with a standard E. Nothing. When it shows suggestions it's not even close. Sadly...

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Axodious - 2012-05-14

(2012-05-14, 13:59)Chromedstang Wrote: Hello,

Here's my issue, I'm trying to get the info for Pokemon series on GBC I can find it on gamedb.net. I changed the names of the files and nothing. I got rid of that stupid E and replaced it with a standard E. Nothing. When it shows suggestions it's not even close. Sadly...

I had to set the name with a normal E and use guess matches for it to work. Although with saying that I noticed a small bug, the name it scrapes contains "é" but when scraped it shows up as what looks like the html character set for it.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-05-14

(2012-05-13, 09:40)malte Wrote: No, not atm. But RCB always uses the last filter setting that was used on the last run. So, when you have some filters with less roms it will display the same set on next launch.

Hello Malte,

This is not correct for me. I have 2 collections in RCB at the moment that I'm perfecting :-) Genesis and Snes. Now, when I'm in the genesis collection (I have it selected) and I remove a game and then do a re-import of the genesis collection using local info scraper (the removed game is found and loaded back into the set) I return in the Genesis collection. However, when I go to another game and remove this and than do a re-import (I use this method to reload nfo files in which I made a correction), my filter selection seems lost and I get both the genesis and snes collection loaded.

It is always like this. The first removal and reload everything is ok, the second, the filter is lost and I need to set it back to Genesis. I'm using AEON MQ3. I was thinking the other day this could become a big problem as I plan to add all my collections one day.

I hope you are able to simulate this...

Cheers,
Grave

(2012-05-14, 16:27)Axodious Wrote:

I had to set the name with a normal E and use guess matches for it to work. Although with saying that I noticed a small bug, the name it scrapes contains "é" but when scraped it shows up as what looks like the html character set for it.

I have noticed this as well, sometimes strange characters for games with these kinds of letters. My solution is then to manually alter my nfo file (I create nfo files for each game) and then do a simple re-import.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Chromedstang - 2012-05-14

(2012-05-14, 16:27)Axodious Wrote:

I've tried it again and nothing Sad

@Axodious I've looked around to how to make nfo files and honestly I'm completely noob and too sick to try and figure it out lol. You would imagine it would be so simple to find the stuff for the Gameboy Color Pokemon series...