Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - BigRed - 2012-05-22

(2012-05-21, 16:56)malte Wrote:
(2012-05-21, 14:52)BigRed Wrote: NEED HELP!!!

I have had no problems with RCB until I tried setting up for N64. I was having problems loading games with project64 through XBMC. It was fine playing outside of XBMC, but when loading from the RCB it had an error. I read that I should change the "%ROMS%" to %ROMS%. When I did this everything went to hell. Now RCB will not load and I get a script failed message. I tried to change it back to "%ROMS%" but I cannot even get into the addon to do so. I even tried to reinstall, but that had no change. Please help!
Please check the xbmc.log file. Usually there is just one wrong setting in the config.xml that can be fixed easily. If you have problems to get the correct hint from the log file just follow these steps and show me the log file.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2859
Log 2859.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-05-22

Ok, there seems to be an invalid token in your config.xml. Can you check the file " C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.games.rom.collection.browser\config.xml"? If you do not find it yourself, please upload the file and paste the link here.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - BigRed - 2012-05-22

(2012-05-22, 01:18)malte Wrote: Ok, there seems to be an invalid token in your config.xml. Can you check the file " C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.games.rom.collection.browser\config.xml"? If you do not find it yourself, please upload the file and paste the link here.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2862

I was able to find the error! I still cannot get a N64 emulator to work with XBMC. I keep getting an error as it switches to the emulator. Any suggestions?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-05-22

Did you check this guide when setting up project64? If you still have problems please show your log file after you tried to launch a game.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - altoiddealer - 2012-05-31

Question: Is it possible to specify an alternate emulator for certain games?

My issue is that I prefer SNES9x, but a lot of the SMW hacks will only run on ZSNES. Is it possible to set this using the "Edit Game Command"?

Many thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-31, 01:18)altoiddealer Wrote: Question: Is it possible to specify an alternate emulator for certain games?

My issue is that I prefer SNES9x, but a lot of the SMW hacks will only run on ZSNES. Is it possible to set this using the "Edit Game Command"?

Many thanks

What a coincidence! I just came along to ask the exact same question. I use PCSX2 to play my PS2 games, but one of them (Fatal Frame 1) requires an older revision to work correctly.

The only way I've found to do this so far is to use a batch file and the edit game command.
https://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/ContextMenu#Edit_Game_Command

However, this is not a particularly elegant solution and I'd like to have the option to load with a different emulator too.

EDIT
Is it just me or does the above "Edit Game Command" option not appear to do anything?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-05-31

This is an interesting question and perhaps, if currently not possible, a good thing for a future update of RCB?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2012-05-31

The way I have it configured is thus:

I have two folders
pcsx2-latest
and
pcsx2-2842
(2842 was the last revision that worked with Fatal Frame)

I have a batch file containing:
Code:
E:\Media\Games\Emulators\PS2\pcsx2-%1\pcsx2.exe %2

To call the emu from RCB, I point it at the batch file and use this as the parameters.
Code:
latest "%ROM%"

For Fatal Frame I use the Edit Game Command to use:
Code:
2842 "%ROM%"

Now as I understand it, this should start all games with the latest revision except Fatal Frame, which will use 2842. Unfortunately, the Edit Game Command seems to be ignored and the game is started in the same manner as all the other games. I'm not sure if this is a bug (using revision 1.0.2), or if I have misunderstood the concept. Perhaps others would like to have a go and see if they can figure it out.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - stoutfiles - 2012-05-31

I have a few questions about XBMC. I just set it up to work with my NES ROM collection (very large) and Nestopia (works great). Two problems I'm having...

1) It doesn't detect games till I add the artwork with scrapers. Okay, that's fine, I want that data anyway. I was able to scrape A-C before I had to cancel due to time constraints. Then when I started it back up to continue the scrape, it didn't recognize the artwork/data I had already scraped and wanted to start at the beginning. Is that normal? Is there a way to scrape without doing it all in one shot? It would take forever to scrape artwork/data for every NES game I have in one continuous shot.

2) I looked at the A-C games I've got loaded. The artwork only loaded for a few games. I figured it might have something to do with the file names with the [U], [J], etc tacked on at the end but some of the games were weird file names that worked. Then, I loaded it back up and different games had the pcitures/data loaded but ones that used to have artwork load didn't. Is it something with XMBC or is my computer struggling to load data/artwork? I was under the impression it would load everything quickly as it's all locally stored.

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions. Really impressed with XMBC so far.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Darkcloud - 2012-06-01

(2012-05-31, 17:26)stoutfiles Wrote: 1) It doesn't detect games till I add the artwork with scrapers. Okay, that's fine, I want that data anyway. I was able to scrape A-C before I had to cancel due to time constraints. Then when I started it back up to continue the scrape, it didn't recognize the artwork/data I had already scraped and wanted to start at the beginning. Is that normal? Is there a way to scrape without doing it all in one shot? It would take forever to scrape artwork/data for every NES game I have in one continuous shot.
If you want it to load stuff without Artwork you have to change it in the addon settings. It will start from the beginning but it will not redownload Artwork that is already present. So while it starts from the beginning it will go faster.
(2012-05-31, 17:26)stoutfiles Wrote: 2) I looked at the A-C games I've got loaded. The artwork only loaded for a few games. I figured it might have something to do with the file names with the [U], [J], etc tacked on at the end but some of the games were weird file names that worked. Then, I loaded it back up and different games had the pcitures/data loaded but ones that used to have artwork load didn't. Is it something with XMBC or is my computer struggling to load data/artwork? I was under the impression it would load everything quickly as it's all locally stored.
This seems to be your PC struggling with loading the data. This can happen if your HDD is slow or if there is some other writing or reading going on.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-06-01

Tomkun Wrote:Now as I understand it, this should start all games with the latest revision except Fatal Frame, which will use 2842. Unfortunately, the Edit Game Command seems to be ignored and the game is started in the same manner as all the other games. I'm not sure if this is a bug (using revision 1.0.2), or if I have misunderstood the concept. Perhaps others would like to have a go and see if they can figure it out.
It works a little bit different. It is not the complete params that are replaced with the game command, only the string %GAMECMD% (if present). So, to work in your scenario it must be changed like this:

1. Rename your folder "pcsx2-latest" to "pcsx2"
2. Change your emu params to
Code:
%GAMECMD% "%ROM%"
3. Change your game command to
Code:
4. Change your batch file to
Code:
E:\Media\Games\Emulators\PS2\pcsx2%1\pcsx2.exe %2

Problem is: I am not sure if the empty string that is passed to the batch file will be interpreted as argument or ignored. Maybe I have to change the logic of the game command to support a scenario like this. I will also check if it is possible to change emulators on a per game basis.

stoutfiles Wrote:1) It doesn't detect games till I add the artwork with scrapers. Okay, that's fine, I want that data anyway. I was able to scrape A-C before I had to cancel due to time constraints. Then when I started it back up to continue the scrape, it didn't recognize the artwork/data I had already scraped and wanted to start at the beginning. Is that normal? Is there a way to scrape without doing it all in one shot? It would take forever to scrape artwork/data for every NES game I have in one continuous shot.
You should deactivate Always rescan imported games in Addon settings. This should solve this issue.

stoutfiles Wrote:2) I looked at the A-C games I've got loaded. The artwork only loaded for a few games. I figured it might have something to do with the file names with the [U], [J], etc tacked on at the end but some of the games were weird file names that worked. Then, I loaded it back up and different games had the pcitures/data loaded but ones that used to have artwork load didn't. Is it something with XMBC or is my computer struggling to load data/artwork? I was under the impression it would load everything quickly as it's all locally stored.
This is strange. What are your specs? Even on my Xbox I am able to load tons of artwork. It is slow but it is all showing up. Did you try with different skins?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2012-06-01

(2012-06-01, 07:44)malte Wrote: It works a little bit different. It is not the complete params that are replaced with the game command, only the string %GAMECMD% (if present). So, to work in your scenario it must be changed like this:

1. Rename your folder "pcsx2-latest" to "pcsx2"
2. Change your emu params to
Code:
%GAMECMD% "%ROM%"
3. Change your game command to
Code:
4. Change your batch file to
Code:
E:\Media\Games\Emulators\PS2\pcsx2%1\pcsx2.exe %2

Problem is: I am not sure if the empty string that is passed to the batch file will be interpreted as argument or ignored. Maybe I have to change the logic of the game command to support a scenario like this. I will also check if it is possible to change emulators on a per game basis.

Almost worked! It does indeed ignore the empty variable, so that the command doesn't work. However, that was easily fixed by:
1. Changing emu params to
Code:
"%ROM%" %GAMECMD%
2. Changing the batch file to
Code:
E:\Media\Games\Emulators\PS2\pcsx2%2\pcsx2.exe %1

As %ROM% is always there, it will always be %1. If the %GAMECMD% is absent, it is safely ignored. Thanks for the help as always Malte!

Actually, now I come to think of it, this should be an easy way to have variable emulators. Just because I am using two versions of the same emu, doesn't mean they couldn't be different emus entirely.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - iced00d - 2012-06-02

Great script but I am running into a problem. I'm running the latest Ubuntu (12.10) and the latest XBMC. I've loaded MAME through the package manager and can launch it from a terminal window without a problem and it finds the roms. When I lauch XBMC and have RCB on autoupdate, it says "First 10 games could not be imported continue anyways?". No matter if i select yes or no nothing shows up in RCB. I've ensured that the paths and file names are correct. The odd thing is that as stated, I can run MAME from a terminal window and run any roms I have. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to use this as my all-in-one media center. Thanks in advance..

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Not Sure - 2012-06-03

Overall RCB is great, but I have a couple of issues:

I am using RCB 1.0.1 and it seems to exclude games from the library that have scraped with duplicate names. So for example, I have:

Act-Raiser (USA)
Act-Raiser (Japan) (T-En)

During scraping I used Interactive mode with local artwork and selected the same game for both titles. RCB generated correct NFO files, but it only displays "Act-Raiser (USA)" in the library and lists the second one in scrapeResult_possibleMismatches.txt. Is there some way to display both? I don't care if they have the same name in RCB as I am using artwork to differentiate them.

Another issue I am having is with certain characters not being rendered/encoded correctly, so I get:

Code:
Gokujō Parodius!

Whatever the problem is, it only seems to only occur in titles (game descriptions look fine).

Other than that, I agree with the guy who asked about displaying the screenshots non-stretched. I think games look much more attractive in their original aspect ratios.