Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-07-27

st graveyard Wrote:I have a question regarding pub/dev logo's. I'm currently testing MQ4 and I have installed the extra pack which also contains a game logo pack for RCB. However, nothing is to be seen on screen. I asked Marcos and he tells me this is RCB specific. Is this true? How do you install an game icon pack in RCB? I just can't seem to figure this one out
I will test this myself and report back. But I am on a trip for some days now, so don't expect the results soon.

st graveyard Wrote:PS : any plans on adding thecoverproject.net scraper support? ;-)
Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-07-27

Thanks Malte! Enjoy your vacation!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2012-07-27

I'm starting to use some videos in RCB and it gave me some doubts about how to get the results I want.

In my MAME collection I'm using the "Marquee in List" for the main window (Cabinet at left, Title up right, Snapshot down right), there's some way to display the videos (when available) only in the down right instead of the Snaps ? (They appear in whole area preventing Cabinets and Title to appear)

How to bring the videos full screen/widowed ? Stop, play, etc ?

Thanks for any help Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Greg. - 2012-07-28

(2012-07-27, 08:10)Greg. Wrote:
(2012-07-27, 07:01)malte Wrote: MAME.txt and parserconfig.xml must be stored somewhere on your PC. Then open "Edit offline scraper" dialog and select the MAME scraper. Select "Path game desc" and browse to MAME.txt, then select "Parseinstruction" and browse to "parserconfig.xml". That should do the trick. Same with Genesis if you have description and instruction for Genesis games, too.

You will find more info about configuring offline scrapers here.
oh i c now, appears to be importing now, that is not clear on the wiki, that statement is and should be, imho, included in the wiki, as these things use to be my bread and butter b4 my stroke, im certainly note thick, but had major probs with these 2 files. thanks for your help and rcb malte.

maybe i AM thick, cos im not out of the woods yet, while it imported this time it asks me which rom from the zip i want and it returns immediately to rcb with popen or without re-executing xbmc in stanalone mode. pretty sure im running the rcb service as needed with eden.
http://pastebin.com/YnfCT2Hz

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - atomicspin - 2012-07-29

I'm having problems getting it to import. When I start from scratch, it imports the first five games or so, then freezes. When I restart XBMC, it stops importing at all.

Here's the link to my xbmc.log
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5759

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - scaylabs - 2012-07-30

Hi fellas,

Been using the addon successfully for a few weeks and thought I'd mention a little piece of FREE software I found very useful. It's called SQLite Database Browser and can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
What it does, if you haven't guessed by now, is let you see your whole ROM database in a Excel-like structure, making for very simple edits of names, descriptions, etc. I have a very large collection (8000+) and needed a way to set favorites without going through them in RCB (takes too long to load), as well as correcting a lot of names that haven't been found by the scraper. The file you want to edit is the Mygames.db.

Also, I imagine most of you are using XBMC and the Rom Collection Browser in your living rooms so someone might find this interesting as well, it's an arcade controller I just built:

It is wireless, thanks to a pair of Xbox 360 controllers, and connects to windows via a receiver made by microsoft. Very high WAF!!

I'm new to posting on this forum, even though I've used it in my research a lot, so please let me know if there is a better place to post any of this.

Thanks,
Andres

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Darkcloud - 2012-07-30

(2012-07-27, 16:21)st graveyard Wrote: PS : any plans on adding thecoverproject.net scraper support? ;-)

The covers are the full back side and front part of the inlay because they are made to print them. At least for most of them. Some have also seperate front covers.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-07-30

(2012-07-30, 14:43)Darkcloud Wrote:
(2012-07-27, 16:21)st graveyard Wrote: PS : any plans on adding thecoverproject.net scraper support? ;-)

The covers are the full back side and front part of the inlay because they are made to print them. At least for most of them. Some have also seperate front covers.

I know that, darkcloud, but it is very easy to batch cut/paste them into 2 parts and reintegrate in RCB that way ;-) You won't find any better versions of covers anywhere on the net!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - wellspokenman - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-30, 05:06)scaylabs Wrote: Been using the addon successfully for a few weeks and thought I'd mention a little piece of FREE software I found very useful. It's called SQLite Database Browser and can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
What it does, if you haven't guessed by now, is let you see your whole ROM database in a Excel-like structure, making for very simple edits of names, descriptions, etc. I have a very large collection (8000+) and needed a way to set favorites without going through them in RCB (takes too long to load), as well as correcting a lot of names that haven't been found by the scraper. The file you want to edit is the Mygames.db.
Also, I imagine most of you are using XBMC and the Rom Collection Browser in your living rooms so someone might find this interesting as well, it's an arcade controller I just built:

It is wireless, thanks to a pair of Xbox 360 controllers, and connects to windows via a receiver made by microsoft. Very high WAF!!
Thanks,
Andres

Amazing - well done! I'm a way's behind, but am getting there slowly. 1400 NES+SNES and 6000 odd mame. I'm in linux though, and because I'm a noob everything takes forever. Getting audio to work in mame last night, for example, took four hours :/

RCB is the addon of choice though; I find it works best once the favorites have been chosen, and it doesn't have to load more than 100 games. Just gone to 1.05 and importing everything again from scratch. Had a crash on 720° for NES, but I think I remember reading that this was a known issue - will come back with log files if I can't get around it.

Hats off to you!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - mwaterbu - 2012-07-31

Since the XBMC4XBOX forums are down for an indefinite amount of time, I figured I would post here. The latest release of XBMC4XBOX stated that they had switched over to using the libjpeg-turbo library, which should help performance with thumbnails and loading images in general.
Will this help rcb's performance on the XBOX? Or does support need to be added for this library?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Sgt.Stedenko - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-30, 21:46)st graveyard Wrote:
(2012-07-30, 14:43)Darkcloud Wrote:

I know that, darkcloud, but it is very easy to batch cut/paste them into 2 parts and reintegrate in RCB that way ;-) You won't find any better versions of covers anywhere on the net!

Indeed! These covers are just amazing! Im using them for backgrounds (backdrop) in Mediabrowser. I can look for hours at them Big Grin

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - wellspokenman - 2012-08-01

First off - THANK YOU. This is a fabulous addon that has really inspired me to turn my home theatre into a properly old school arcade. Speed is a major challenge for me, as I'm using one of those little ASRock machines, and I have 700 NES, 700 SNES, 6000 MAME and a whole lotta 2600. However, with a little patience, and some careful use of the favourites feature, all is well. Next step is to add video previews.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing, however, so I thought you'd like some feedback. I'm using 1.01 on xbmcbuntu Eden 11.0 and all roms and artwork are stored locally - CACHEALL slowed things down, so now its just CACHEITEM. (I tried RCB 1.05 but it was a bit unstable). Pity - the 'ignore all future errors' is a great help during import:
* The degree symbol (as in 720°) in a rom file name will crash the plugin during an import. I looked at xbmc.log to confirm that it was an RCB error that caused the unexpected xbmc termination. I can fetch this for you if this is news to you, but I suspect that it's not.
* Nox skin compatibility has been a major issue - I've had to revert xbmc back to confluence. The documentation suggests that RCB is skin-independent, but this hasn't been my experience. Specific problems in Nox are speed (xbmc confluence+rcb confluence is 10 times faster) and interface. The nox version of RCB sets the filters to the left, and does not let you see the prev+next options for each category. This results in a column of options that all say 'all'. Your default in confluence is much better, as I can clearly see which one is year, publisher etc. The InfoWall option of Nox, however is a great balance between pretty and functional for a large collection, as it displays over a dozen roms at a time, and cover recognition is often faster and easier than reading a list of text.
* As speed has been such a large issue for me, I miss a feature to interrupt a collection load. Say I accidentally click on MAME with favourites de-selected for example - that mistake will cost quite a bit of time.
* Another thing that takes some getting used to is if I accidentally choose NES, instead of SNES, then quickly correct my filter it will not interrupt the NES collection load. But, once NES has loaded it won't trigger the selected SNES one automatically either. So I then have to load a third collection (or toggle favourites), wait for that to load, then make the correct choice. I guess this is really just another side-effect of not being able to interrupt a collection load.

As I said though, this is a fantastic addon in it's current form, and I am grateful for it as is. If you intend to continue development, then by all means add this feedback to the pile.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - e2zippo - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 10:40)wellspokenman Wrote: * Nox skin compatibility has been a major issue - I've had to revert xbmc back to confluence. The documentation suggests that RCB is skin-independent, but this hasn't been my experience. Specific problems in Nox are speed (xbmc confluence+rcb confluence is 10 times faster) and interface. The nox version of RCB sets the filters to the left, and does not let you see the prev+next options for each category. This results in a column of options that all say 'all'. Your default in confluence is much better, as I can clearly see which one is year, publisher etc. The InfoWall option of Nox, however is a great balance between pretty and functional for a large collection, as it displays over a dozen roms at a time, and cover recognition is often faster and easier than reading a list of text.

I agree, Nox is not very RCB friendy atm, some of the issues I've been having are
* slow scrolling compared to Confluence & Aeon MQ4
* unable to select a console, just displays al
* only one viewtype keeps original AR (infowall)

All of these issues are however skin specific.
I've pointed this out to them in their thred but I didn't recieve any reply.

(2012-08-01, 10:40)wellspokenman Wrote: * As speed has been such a large issue for me, I miss a feature to interrupt a collection load. Say I accidentally click on MAME with favourites de-selected for example - that mistake will cost quite a bit of time.

Agreed, it would be nice to be able to interrupt a load

(2012-08-01, 10:40)wellspokenman Wrote: * Another thing that takes some getting used to is if I accidentally choose NES, instead of SNES, then quickly correct my filter it will not interrupt the NES collection load. But, once NES has loaded it won't trigger the selected SNES one automatically either. So I then have to load a third collection (or toggle favourites), wait for that to load, then make the correct choice. I guess this is really just another side-effect of not being able to interrupt a collection load.

I've noticed this too.

On another note malte, I'm having some trouble with videos, they don't play all the way through, the stop at the same place every time, same thing with both my videos (DKC1 & DKC2)
The play fine in media player and they used to play fine in RCB before as well, but I've reinstalled XBMC.

It's the same thing in Confluence & MQ4.

I'm using XBMC Eden & RCB 1.05

Cheers!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ltj1200 - 2012-08-01

I've been skimming through this thread looking for info on how to correctly configure the xbox 360 wireless controller for use with RCB. I have the wireless receiver and the controller works with my Win 7 x64 machine when I've tried it using XPadder. It looks like setting up a keymap for xbmc will make it operable with Xbmc but what has to be done to configure it for the emulators? Right now, I'm still getting everything setup and am just using Kega Fusion but plan to also use other emulators once I get further into making this work.

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - st graveyard - 2012-08-01

(2012-08-01, 21:42)ltj1200 Wrote: I've been skimming through this thread looking for info on how to correctly configure the xbox 360 wireless controller for use with RCB. I have the wireless receiver and the controller works with my Win 7 x64 machine when I've tried it using XPadder. It looks like setting up a keymap for xbmc will make it operable with Xbmc but what has to be done to configure it for the emulators? Right now, I'm still getting everything setup and am just using Kega Fusion but plan to also use other emulators once I get further into making this work.

Thanks!

I have the xbox wireless controler on my pc and it works great. I don't use the controler to select games in XBMC but I set up the controller in the emulators themselves.
What exactly is the problem, I don't understand. I select a game using the wireless keyboard and once in the game the controller kicks in ...