Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2012-08-28

What are the args to launch it from RCB?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-08-28

fba.exe "%GAME%" which is the name of the rom minus the extension (ie: if it's mvsc.zip = fba.exe "mvsc")

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2012-08-29

Interesting, ill give it another go, but last time it tried it, it kept saying the game is incompatible. Maybe it was a rom directory issue.
IT works! I was so used to setting it to "%ROM"% for all my other emulators that I completely skipped the change to GAME. Thanks for the help!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2012-08-29

One more question. When scraping the roms into RCB there is no working scraper that pulls the details and renames the file. For example, mvsc.zip will show up as mvsc in my RCB list, is there a way to rename the file?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-08-29

(2012-08-29, 09:10)tranceology3 Wrote: One more question. When scraping the roms into RCB there is no working scraper that pulls the details and renames the file. For example, mvsc.zip will show up as mvsc in my RCB list, is there a way to rename the file?
My program, RoM-Jacket will take your MAME roms and give them nice names for scrapers. Give it a shot.

The rom-collection should be set to use folder names for scrapers.

Also, here is a script that will do that. Run it in the folder with the rom-zip files.
it will create create a folder with the nice name and put the zip inside. Then it will create link to that rom in a folder called NEWNAMES (inside the directory with the other folders it creates) and that link will have the nice name with a .zip extension....In case you need it.
MameAliasCreator

Great, this is what I'm look for!

I checked out rom-jacket, and I will try to figure it out when I have some more time, seems very useful.

As for MameAliasCreator, I tried it. Everything worked good, except it didnt put anything in the "NEWNAMES" folder. Like you said it should put a link to the rom. I then scraped my roms with rcb, now that they are in the folders, and changed RCB to scrape the folder names. It did pull information for some games, but launching FBA gives me an error, as its trying to load the folder name, not the .zip name. I'm assuming I need those links so RCB can launch the original .zip.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-08-29

(2012-08-29, 22:04)tranceology3 Wrote: Great, this is what I'm look for!

I checked out rom-jacket, and I will try to figure it out when I have some more time, seems very useful.

As for MameAliasCreator, I tried it. Everything worked good, except it didnt put anything in the "NEWNAMES" folder. Like you said it should put a link to the rom. I then scraped my roms with rcb, now that they are in the folders, and changed RCB to scrape the folder names. It did pull information for some games, but launching FBA gives me an error, as its trying to load the folder name, not the .zip name. I'm assuming I need those links so RCB can launch the original .zip.

Try downloading the file again. It should be fixed now.

After trying the updated file, it didn't work, at least it didn't put anything in the NEWNAMES folder. I did verify that I ran the new file by opening your old compared to the new and checking the difference.

Out of curiosity, how will RCB know to open the .zip file, and not the folder name? The purpose of the link file is so that RCB opens the .zip right? But how does it know to go into NEWNAMES and see the link file? I do see a mameroms.ini file, does RCB need to use this at all?

Is there anything else I need to configure on the RCB end other than use folder names when scraping? I keep my args the same correct? "%GAME%"

By the way, does picking the NEO-GEO scraper affect how I am scraping my rom? Do I need to use MAME?

I am guessing that you're using windows xp (WTF MAN!)
I've updated the script and it uses hardlinks, but I can't test it.
This is for fba users like yourself. It won't work for mame on windows 7.
It creates a nice-name-folder and then creates the nice-name link inside that folder.
try this MameAliasCreatorXP

The mameroms.ini file is for script-use only.

The arguments should not change.
Use the folder containing the folders with links for rcb.
Use the path with the real zip files in your fba config.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2012-08-30

LOL, not using XP, I'm using windows 7 64-bit.

I tested the XP version and something changed. It put the Nice-Name folder of the game inside the NEWNAMES, but nothing was in there Nice-Name folder.

It kept the .zips in the original folder Rom folder, the older MameAliasCreator moved the .zips into the Nice-Name folder.

So, let me try to understand this. Basically this program is meant to make Nice-Name folders inside the NEWNAMES, and create a .lnk shortcut file to the original .zip rom inside the Nice-Name?

RCB will scrape the Nice-Name folders, launching the .lnk inside, which points to the original .zip rom?

So, the older MameAliasCreator was moving the .zip roms into the Nice-Name folders. Example, I have bstars.zip and bstars2.zip in my Roms folder. I ran your program and it moved the zips into two new folders named Baseball Stars Professional (NGM-002) and Baseball Stars 2. This is incorrect right?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-08-30

MY FAULT! Had an extra character in a variable.
Try it one more time.

MameAliasFBA7

it makes nice-name folder inside NEWNAMES and then creates a link (not a shortcut!) inside the nice-name folder with with a nice-name.
so you have:

mamename.zip
NEWNAMES
------->Nice-Name
-------------->Nice-Name.zip

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2012-08-30

Great! One more problem, the download link isn't working.

MameAliasFBA7 does what MameAlias XP did.

It made the Nice-Name folders in NEWNAMES, but nothing is inside the Nice-Name folders.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sudopinion - 2012-08-30

maybe you are missing mklink, or do not have permission to use it. This works perfectly on 3 windows 7 systems. If you have more problems with it, please pm me as I don't want to hijack this thread which is for rcb.

Yes I think you are right. I am trying to use mklink through cmd, and it keeps giving me access denied or I dont have sufficient privilege. I just installed a fresh Windows 7 on my new laptop, and i'm getting the same errors.

How would I fix this?