Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ShumOSU - 2012-09-09

(2012-09-07, 19:00)ShumOSU Wrote:
(2012-09-07, 13:10)malte Wrote: Afaik there may be problems with using paths like "smb://yourserver/yourroms/" or "\\yourserver\yourroms\". But it should work if you use mapped network drives or links like "Z:\yourroms".

No worries; not urgent of course. Thanks for the idea; I'll give it a try when I get back home Sunday night-ish.

That did it. Mapped the folder as a network drive, added the drive as a source in XBMC and then did the import. Everything looks good.

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sherl0k - 2012-09-11

I'm having an issue trying to get MAME to launch my games. The proper parameter to launch a game is simply the name of the game without the file extension; when the game is launched, though, it uses the full filename. This causes the ROMs to not be found. Did I overlook something? I followed the directions listed in the wiki doc.

Also, the parsing seems very sluggish when cataloging for the first time - My HTPC is a Core i5 2500 and it took well over 15 minutes to build the latest MAME collection, despite having all of the artwork local. I attempted to scan in my SNES collection also and that looked like it was going to take hours. Scanning doesn't happen in the background, either. I'd love to be able to fork it to the background so I can still use XBMC while it's importing everything.

Other than that the addon looks clean and I can't wait to get it set up correctly!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - lordashram - 2012-09-11

@sherl0k, double check your rompath in your mame.ini file and make sure it is pointing directly to your roms folder.
Also for me to get MAME games to run correctly, I use the following settings:
Emulator params: "%ROM%"
Use emulator in solo mode: checked
Do not extract zip files: checked

I also changed my C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\applaunch.bat to:

Code:
REM Is XBMC running?
taskkill /f /IM XBMC.exe

REM Launch app
cd /d %~dp1
%*

REM Done? Restart XBMC
explorer "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
Keep in mind I am using a 64bit version of Windows, hence the C:\Program Files (x86)\ instead of C:\Program Files\
The cd /d %~dp1 was very import as both MAME nor mupen64 would not work correctly for me without starting in the emulator's executable folder.
I don't remember ever having an issue of launching a mame rom with the .zip still in the rom name.

As for speed, could be harddrive. Do you have a bunch of other harddrive activity going on, like a bunch or torrents or something else?
Maybe not enuff ram? I have an AMD Pheonom II X4 oc to 3.7ghz with 8gb of ram running on a RAID 5 and initial scans took about 2-4 minutes, depending on how large the rom collection.
In the case of of SNES roms it could be internet speed since even if you have the artwork locally, rcb still has to go and scrape the info from other sites.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-09-11

PogMoThoin Wrote:Please help, I can't for the life of me get this running. I'm trying to follow the Engadget guide on XBMCbuntu. I have a few roms saved locally in a Games/Rom directory I made in Home. They are in zips (SNES are .7z) as I downloaded them in separate NES, SNES, N64 directories. I've even tried extracting them. No matter what I do it doesn't import them and shows up a blank list. Any help would be great.
Do you have one 7z with all files inside or one 7z per game? It will only work if you have one 7z per game, otherwise RCB can't import the games. You will need *.7z as file mask to import the games then. You could also show us your xbmc.log file after you tried to import the games. This will show what issues are left on your system.

sherl0k Wrote:I'm having an issue trying to get MAME to launch my games. The proper parameter to launch a game is simply the name of the game without the file extension; when the game is launched, though, it uses the full filename. This causes the ROMs to not be found. Did I overlook something? I followed the directions listed in the wiki doc.
It should also work with full names (at least it did for me). As lordashram stated, make sure that you have set your rompath in mame.ini correct.

sherl0k Wrote:Also, the parsing seems very sluggish when cataloging for the first time - My HTPC is a Core i5 2500 and it took well over 15 minutes to build the latest MAME collection, despite having all of the artwork local. I attempted to scan in my SNES collection also and that looked like it was going to take hours. Scanning doesn't happen in the background, either. I'd love to be able to fork it to the background so I can still use XBMC while it's importing everything.
Local imports are slower when you use one big file for all your games (like the one I provide on the project site). It will be faster when you have single nfo files for your games on the next run. SNES sounds like an online import? This will take longer as you need to download all data from internet first.

To import games in background you should check the option Import games on XBMC startup

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-09-11

(2012-09-06, 17:24)tjcinnamon Wrote: Does anyone else experience long loading times for the plugin as it cycles through all of the graphics?

I'm still experiencing incredibly long load times when I open RBC. If I have the screen on "Landscape" view it takes longer than "Showcase" view. However, both take a while. It seems to want to scroll through every single game graphic before allowing me to move around.

Is it possible to turn this behavior off?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sherl0k - 2012-09-12

Thanks malte. I'll check my MAME config. I'm using a custom build of MAME (MamePPK because it has Kaillera support) so I'll try a vanilla build and see if there's a difference. I can't imagine it not working with a regular build. Just to confirm, can it be a MameUI build or does it have to be the commandline version?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - lordashram - 2012-09-12

@sherl0k, It shouldn't matter which flavor of MAME you use, I've used various flavors of MAME, including MAMEUI, with other multi-emu frontends and without issue. I now use a self compiled (profile guided optimized) version with rcb without issue.

@malte, is their a technical reason or a person preference as to why rcb does not do a change directly to the executable's folder before being executed?
The only reason I have to use solo mode for MAME & mupen64 is that they will not work correctly for me without using solo mode & adding the change directory command, the other emu's I use work fine.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - manji - 2012-09-14

I'm sure this has been asked, and I tried finding it for like 30 min and couldnt, so sorry if this is a repeat.

When I go to "addon settings" and do "exit emulator with esc", I can't get a single emulator to launch. Either how do I fix this, or is there a work around? I'm pretty much just working with a remote control and a gamepad, so clicking out of emulators is a huge, huge pain. Thanks in advance.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tjcinnamon - 2012-09-14

(2012-09-14, 04:43)manji Wrote: I'm sure this has been asked, and I tried finding it for like 30 min and couldnt, so sorry if this is a repeat.

When I go to "addon settings" and do "exit emulator with esc", I can't get a single emulator to launch. Either how do I fix this, or is there a work around? I'm pretty much just working with a remote control and a gamepad, so clicking out of emulators is a huge, huge pain. Thanks in advance.

You could use an autohotkey script to exit the game.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dkplayaclub - 2012-09-14

(2012-09-05, 19:49)dkplayaclub Wrote: When I open RCB, if I am playing any videos or music, it is stopped immediately. Can I make it so it won't interrupt my media playing until I choose to launch a game?

Bumping this as it seemed to get lost. If there is no way to do this, then I would want to request is as a feature. I use ALA to browse my comics and there is an option to allow media to keep playing. I would love to have this same option in RCB. Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2012-09-14

tjcinnamon Wrote:I'm still experiencing incredibly long load times when I open RBC. If I have the screen on "Landscape" view it takes longer than "Showcase" view. However, both take a while. It seems to want to scroll through every single game graphic before allowing me to move around.

Is it possible to turn this behavior off?
What skin are you using? Does this problem occur with Confluence as well?
I already wrote this response some days ago. Not sure if you have read it:
malte Wrote:It does not really cycle through all graphics but unfortunately XBMC seems to build up the list item by item and there is no way (that I know of) to stop updating the UI while building the list. This behaviour has changed in XBMC from Dharma to Eden in XBMC. Only way around this in RCB would be to limit result lists to smaller amounts of items. But I don't think this would be really useful.

lordashram Wrote:is their a technical reason or a person preference as to why rcb does not do a change directly to the executable's folder before being executed?
The only reason I have to use solo mode for MAME & mupen64 is that they will not work correctly for me without using solo mode & adding the change directory command, the other emu's I use work fine.
No, I just did not think of adding this feature. I will add this to my TODO list (maybe as an option).

manji Wrote:When I go to "addon settings" and do "exit emulator with esc", I can't get a single emulator to launch. Either how do I fix this, or is there a work around? I'm pretty much just working with a remote control and a gamepad, so clicking out of emulators is a huge, huge pain. Thanks in advance.
I guess this is a misunderstandingSmile. The option is Escape emulator cmd. This means RCB will escape the cmd that is passed to the emulator. Might be that this a bit confusing. I thought about removing this setting anyway as I don't think anybody is really using it and it often causes errors when launching games.

There are external tools that can map gamepad buttons to keypresses. Maybe one of this will help you.

dkplayaclub Wrote:Bumping this as it seemed to get lost. If there is no way to do this, then I would want to request is as a feature. I use ALA to browse my comics and there is an option to allow media to keep playing. I would love to have this same option in RCB. Thanks.
Yes, it got lost. Sorry. There is no way to do this atm. But I could think about it as an option when you don't playback videos, not to stop the current playing item.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - manji - 2012-09-14

(2012-09-14, 17:24)tjcinnamon Wrote:
(2012-09-14, 04:43)manji Wrote: I'm sure this has been asked, and I tried finding it for like 30 min and couldnt, so sorry if this is a repeat.

You could use an autohotkey script to exit the game.

I know how stupid and noob-ish this is going to sound...but how? Can you at least point me in the right direction?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dkplayaclub - 2012-09-15

dkplayaclub Wrote:Bumping this as it seemed to get lost. If there is no way to do this, then I would want to request is as a feature. I use ALA to browse my comics and there is an option to allow media to keep playing. I would love to have this same option in RCB. Thanks.
(2012-09-14, 18:08)malte Wrote: Yes, it got lost. Sorry. There is no way to do this atm. But I could think about it as an option when you don't playback videos, not to stop the current playing item.

That's all I can ask, as I can't code myself. Thanks for the response. I love this addon.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Darkcloud - 2012-09-15

When I try to scrape games to the SNES collection with BSNES XBMC always freezes while it works for the other collections for Systems I also use BSNES with. I have set the collection to use foldername as game name because BSNEs now creates a system with Gamenamefolder in which it places manifest.xml and program.rom.
Here is the log:
http://nopaste.info/e68e1776e0.html

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - lordashram - 2012-09-15

thnx malte, I look forward to it.