Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - pecospete - 2013-02-09

(2013-01-28, 20:13)malte Wrote:
pecospete Wrote:Is there any way to make rcb's game list be persistent, making rcb load the game list virtually instantly? I seldom need to import/scrap new games, and having rcb take 2 or 3 three minutes to reload the mame games when you load rcb, or switch between filters in rcb is quite painful... It puts me off from actually _playing_ games.
Sorry, no. I don't think this is even possible with XBMCs interface (besides hard coding the lists in xml).

Ugh. Is there really no way to separate the list model from the list view in XMBCs APIs?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - pecospete - 2013-02-10

Let me clarify my original use of "persistent" - when RCB is spending a minute or two loading the games ("please wait, loading games", or some such), it seemed like RCB was adding list items to the gui, one by one, instead of following an mvc pattern, where the game list would be stored somewhere persistent, like an sqlite table, and the list view would only query the database (model) for enough items that fit in the screen. If the user moves down from the list, the list view would fetch more elements from the model, etc. This way that "loading games" delay would disappear, and the gui would be as snappy with 10 or with 1000000000 games.

Hmm, wait, what exactly would get hardcoded in that xml? The list items, or presentation bits as well? If the former, if loading big (several thousands) list from xml is snappy, then it sounds like it'd be good enough. We could have RCB cache the game list to an xml, and only refresh it after rescrapping, or on explicit user request.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tehparna0id - 2013-02-10

Hello.

I've been loving the plugin. However, there is a GUI inconsistency that has been driving me bonkers. When your in the search/filter mode and you hit backspace, it kicks you out of the entire addon. Most of the pop-up dialogs in XBMC disappear when you hit backspace. In fact, when you have the context menu up in the Rom Collection Browser pressing backspace closes dialog and remains in the Rom Collection browser. However, this is not the case searching/setting filters.

Is there any way to fix it so that the search/filter dialog only closes the search/filter dialog when you hit backspace? And the actual 'quit' for the addon would be when your in the main browser window without any dialog popups?

If its not something you would actually want to commit to the main-- can you give me a pointer to the python source file that I'd need to edit/recompile to correct this .. misbehavior?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-10

pecospete Wrote:Let me clarify my original use of "persistent" - when RCB is spending a minute or two loading the games ("please wait, loading games", or some such), it seemed like RCB was adding list items to the gui, one by one, instead of following an mvc pattern, where the game list would be stored somewhere persistent, like an sqlite table, and the list view would only query the database (model) for enough items that fit in the screen. If the user moves down from the list, the list view would fetch more elements from the model, etc. This way that "loading games" delay would disappear, and the gui would be as snappy with 10 or with 1000000000 games.

Hmm, wait, what exactly would get hardcoded in that xml? The list items, or presentation bits as well? If the former, if loading big (several thousands) list from xml is snappy, then it sounds like it'd be good enough. We could have RCB cache the game list to an xml, and only refresh it after rescrapping, or on explicit user request.
With Dharma there has been a "lockgui" method that would stop UI updates while adding items to the list. This was much faster than the current one by one-thing. Unfortunately this method was removed from the API with Eden.

About loading smaller portions: I am not really a friend of this approach. But you are right: loading large rom collections can be a pain in certain skins and views. It is something that I will investigate on in the future (can't tell when this may be). Also some more options to load smaller amount of games on startup and let the user decide how to continue would be an option.

The XML-idea will not really be practicable. It must be written to the skin files itself to help with performance. This is not doable.

Atm I always try to leave RCB with some filter settings that reduce the amount of games in the list (first character or something like this). It is not nice, I know.

tehparna0id Wrote:Is there any way to fix it so that the search/filter dialog only closes the search/filter dialog when you hit backspace? And the actual 'quit' for the addon would be when your in the main browser window without any dialog popups?
Valid point. It is fixed in SVN and will be included in the next version. (But don't get used to such a quick serviceWink)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tehparna0id - 2013-02-10

tehparna0id Wrote:Is there any way to fix it so that the search/filter dialog only closes the search/filter dialog when you hit backspace? And the actual 'quit' for the addon would be when your in the main browser window without any dialog popups?
pecospete Wrote:Valid point. It is fixed in SVN and will be included in the next version. (But don't get used to such a quick serviceWink)

Outstanding.

Just co'd the SVN and it works like a charm!!

Thank you!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-10

Mickyd Wrote:Hi, extracted the artwork and attempted to rescrape but nothing, doesn't matter what I choose when just recraping one game, for instance tried 1942 with locations 1,2,3 tried with various combinations of maws.mameworld.info, thegamesdb.net, local artwork and nothing?

Any ideas?
There is no working MAME online scraper atm. You need to import MAME games with the offline scraper.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - sdallstar - 2013-02-10

Help,
I tried running this addon with mednafen on my system. I started a rom, and silly me, I do not have a controller connected. I also did not start in full screen, so it was started in a very tiny 320 resolution. No way to exit, so I reset my openelec xbmc. Now, when xbmc booted up, and now xbmc is in the tiny resolution. Not sure how to proceed, can barely even read options on the screen it is so small. I can ssh in to the machine though. Where do I need to go to fix this?

/edit
I launched another rom without using rom collect browser and started it full screen. However, exiting the application still left my in tiny xbmc resolution.

/edit2

Okay, my XBMC was set to windowed mode. Resetting the settings->System->Video Output display mode to full screen fixed this.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Mickyd - 2013-02-11

Thanks malte,

quick question, when adding a rom collection I can't change the path the to MAME emulater - it lists the previous option say F:/MAME but I want to use the version on the NAS now?

any idea how I change this?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bakito - 2013-02-11

hello,
I have a little question, how can I remove the confirmation for the log when the addon can not creat artwork, because when i SCRAP MY GAME i CAN T START IT THEN FORGET IT TILL IT'S DONE BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT WOULD ASK ME FOR SOME CONFIRMATION?

oups sorry for capslock Smile

thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-12

Mickyd Wrote:quick question, when adding a rom collection I can't change the path the to MAME emulater - it lists the previous option say F:/MAME but I want to use the version on the NAS now?
Did you try to add the path to your NAS via XBMC file manager?

bakito Wrote:I have a little question, how can I remove the confirmation for the log when the addon can not creat artwork, because when i SCRAP MY GAME i CAN T START IT THEN FORGET IT TILL IT'S DONE BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT WOULD ASK ME FOR SOME CONFIRMATION?
Atm you can't disable it completely. But it should ask once and offer you not to ask anymore. Usually this error occurs if there is a general problem with scraping games and RCB assumes that you can't scrape any game. So, if you let it scrape for some hours and come back and see that it did not scrape a single game would be a worse scenario in my oppinion.

But anyway, this is something I still have to think about.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bakito - 2013-02-12

ok thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-12

(2012-04-14, 08:21)malte Wrote:
tommymsw Wrote:Thanks Elviguiero, My next problem is that it stopped adding the games at T. Now if I run the "import games" option again, I get the "first 10 games could not be imported" error. I assume this is because they are already done? So is there a way to add more games after the first add?
No, if these games are already imported, RCB should not try to get them again. And if so, it should not result in an error. Can you show me a log file after you tried to import the games? Maybe I can see whats wrong.

This is an old post, but was wondering if there was a solution to this. I've been configuring, importing and scraping for days. This morning, after a lengthy import of 3DO, SNES, N64 and NES, I saw that the NES set only imported 10 roms. On my way out the door to work, I reinitiated the import and the same behavior cited by tommymsw occurred. The same "error", as I recall happened the first time too. I grabbed the latest RCB last nite before this. I also set RCB to debug mode throughout this entire process. I can post when I get home later tonight if you need Malte.

**EDIT - It looks like I got this to start reading the balance of my NES ROMs. My particular NES ROM set has subfolders separated into categories (not an issue), but a couple of the categories have the following 2 subfolders; [NES] and [UNF]. I am guessing the brackets are messing up the scan. I removed the brackets and restarted the IMPORT and it looks like it is importing.

Also, thanks for suppressing the dialog when art couldn't be found, was driving me bonkers as well as the UI "fix" for getting out of the upper sort menu thing. By the way, during my growing pains with RCB, I'd like to point out that there is somewhat of an unclear switch in the RCB settings, which I misunderstood as something else and was keeping me from successfully launching anything for days (totally my fault), but something I thought should be pointed out; the setting for ESCAPE CMD FOR LAUNCHING (something like that, not in front of RCB at the moment. I mistook that for being able to exit the emulator to get back to XBMC... Duh. Me stooooopid!!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-13

Dondi Wrote:but a couple of the categories have the following 2 subfolders; [NES] and [UNF]. I am guessing the brackets are messing up the scan. I removed the brackets and restarted the IMPORT and it looks like it is importing.
I thought I already fixed this one. But I will check what is going on. Fixing all these little issues that are making life with RCB harder is top on my list now, so thanks for bringing it to my mind again.

Dondi Wrote:but something I thought should be pointed out; the setting for ESCAPE CMD FOR LAUNCHING (something like that, not in front of RCB at the moment. I mistook that for being able to exit the emulator to get back to XBMC...
There was a lot of confusion with this setting already. Also it does not really do any good afaik. So I will simply remove it in one of next releases.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bobneal81 - 2013-02-14

I set up Rom Collection Browser on two of my machines (one XP, one Win7, both 32bit) and I'm having the same issues on both:

1) Mame will not launch unless I dump the contents of the Mame directory into the XBMC directory. Maybe I'm setting something up incorrectly, but I can reproduce the problem via the command prompt: If I type the exact same command RCB is using ("C:\Mame\Mame.exe" C:\Mame\roms\mk.zip") it gives me an error saying the rom is incomplete.

Using command prompt, if I change the directory to my mame folder first, it works: (literally typing "cd C:\mame", hitting enter, then running "C:\Mame\Mame.exe" C:\Mame\roms\mk.zip". I noticed when Rom Collection Browser launches a command window, it starts in C:\Program Files\XBMC, so I thought I'd move mame and it's subfolders...and it worked perfect! It would be cool if I could put Mame back in it's own folder, but if there's no workaround, I'm fine leaving it where it is.

2) I can't get a 3DO emulator working properly. Has anyone had any success with this? I tried setting it up with 4DO and I can get 4DO to launch, but it doesn't load a game.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-14, 22:58)bobneal81 Wrote: 2) I can't get a 3DO emulator working properly. Has anyone had any success with this? I tried setting it up with 4DO and I can get 4DO to launch, but it doesn't load a game.

Hey bobneal. I just completed a successful install of 3DO using the 4DO emulator with RCB. A couple pages ago in this thread, I was going back-and-forth with malte trying to get this to work. Maybe some of my comments apply to your situation. For me, my initial issue was the particular ROM set that I was working with. Not sure which one you have, but I found that I needed to pull-out my old TOSEC set instead of trying to force my Trurip set to work. So, I would suggest a check of which ROM set type you are working with first. If you don't know what TOSEC or Trurip sets are, simply put, they are both zipped archives of the 3DO game images wrapped in a different format. The TOSEC has .iso & .cue files inside the ZIPs, while the Trurip contains .ccd, .img & .sub files. Since 4DO "likes" .iso files natively, I later realized I couldn't use the Trurip set without a Virtual Disk Daemon mounter application in the middle somewhere. I ended-up going with the TOSEC set that contains the 4DO-friendly .isos.

• Make sure you configure 4DO completely to work with your ROMs outside of XBMC first! (use a couple of the ROMs for testing)
• Once in RCB, under IMPORT GAMES, I set the ROM FILE MASK setting to *.zip
• Under LAUNCH GAMES, I set the EMULATOR PARAMS to this:
--StartFullScreen -StartLoadFile="%rom%"
Also found here for 4DO reference from Adv. Launcher: http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=4DO#Windows
• Under LAUNCH GAMES, DO NOT EXTRACT ZIP FILES is unchecked. RCB extracts the .zip temporarily into tmp directory and whacks it so that there's never more than one rom in there

I hope my experiences with 4DO above help you in some way. I am not in front of my machine atm, but if you need any help, just ask