Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Aergan - 2013-02-17

Does anyone have any good suggestions for muti-disc PSX games in RCB please?
E.g. Final Fantasy series, Gran Turismo 2 etc

RCB only shows one entry per game and I don't really see an in-built method to handle this?

Using XBMC 12.0 on Windows Server 2012.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-18

Dondi Wrote:Does anyone know if I could avoid scanning ROM sets twice on 2 different xbmc clients? Since I am testing on my workstation, I was wondering if I do a complete import, scan & scrape and all goes well, if I could avoid doing another RCB scan on my main XBMC by simply copying over the ROMs, the .NFOs and the scraped art from the test workstation? Pathing would be similar, but different (same path hierarchy, just different local drive letter assignments). Anything else I could copy over to avoid a scan or anything else I should be aware of?
All information is stored in "config.xml" and "MyGames.db". In config.xml it should be easy to search and replace the relevant parts. In MyGames.db you will need some SQL to get the job done. You could also send me your db if you need help with it.

Another option would be to import the games using the nfo files that have been created on the first import. This will run way faster than another full online import.

Dondi Wrote:Still haven't figured out how to launch RetroArch in fullscreen yet
I guess it is the "-f" option that you are after. Here is an example of my configuration (Genesis):
Code:
"%ROM%" -c "C:\Program Files\Emulatoren\retroarch-win32-0.9.8-beta2\retroarch.cfg" -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll

Aergan Wrote:Does anyone have any good suggestions for muti-disc PSX games in RCB please?

RCB only shows one entry per game and I don't really see an in-built method to handle this?
Did you set the correct disk indicator to get your disks detected?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-19

Ok, I need some MESS experts. I have been doing battle for a while now and I can't get MESS to play nicely with RCB. Two nights ago I started an import of 18 ROM sets. RCB "finished" but there were only like 7 or 8 platforms successfully imported. No errors, just sitting there in the RCB UI when I saw that it was "done". Anyways, my MESS mess....

So far, I have only tried to launch ColecoVision, Odyssey2, Intellivision & Atari 5200 via MESS. I am using a clean fresh version of MESS 0.148u1 64-bit. I also grabbed a MESS64UI version to test my BIOS files & ROM sets, etc. I have BIOS files for every system available zipped and placed in the MESS\roms and MESS\bios directories as well as unzipped in the MESS\roms & MESS\bios directories. MESSUI64 audit confirms that my BIOS files are functioning and the mess.ini romspath is set to roms. I also have copies of the BIOS files zipped and unzipped where the game roms are too; basically, they are redundantly sprayed throughout

I am able to successfully launch all of these platforms via MESSUI64.

I am able to successfully launch all of these platforms with MESS64 via commandline using the below settings:

F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64 intv -cart "F:\Arcade\ROMs HOLD\Mattel - Intellivision\BurgerTime! (1982) (Mattel).int" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Average speed: 100.00% (3 seconds)

F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64 odyssey2 -cart "F:\Arcade\ROMs\No-Intro (2012-06-30)\Magnavox - Odyssey2\Atlantis (USA, Europe).zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Average speed: 99.77% (95 seconds)

F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64 a5200 -cart "F:\Arcade\ROMs\No-Intro (2012-06-30)\Atari - 5200\Beamrider (USA).zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Average speed: 100.00% (4 seconds)

F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64 coleco -cart "F:\Arcade\ROMs\No-Intro (2012-06-30)\Coleco - ColecoVision\Boulder Dash (USA).zip" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Average speed: 100.00% (27 seconds)

So, basically I am getting predictable results using both MESS64.exe commandline and with MESSUI64.exe - they work.

Different story in RCB... (Is this where I need to start messing with Solo ModeHuh? - Very little knowledge/experience with it, but tried selecting that and MESS starts initializing the game, quits and also quits XBMC.)

My RCB settings are consistent for all 4 platforms above (without trying to use solo mode):
RCB EMU COMMANDLINE PARAM: <system> -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
RCB EMULATOR CMD: <path-to>\MESS\mess64.exe
RC ROM FILE MASK: *.zip (all except Intellivision. Intellivision ROM FILE MASK is set to .int)

When I use the above RCB settings for the 4 platforms above, MESS starts real quick, and exits real quick. If I change the RCB EMULATOR CMD to use MESSUI64.EXE, MESSUI64 starts and dialog boxes start popping up saying that it can't find the BIOS <system>.rom file

I guess either my commandlines in RCB are wrong, or I need to use Solo Mode and use the applauncher.bat stuff with pre- and post- commands. Can someone direct me here on getting MESS to play nicely with RCB? Thanks

Here is a direct link to my xbmc logs. XBMC Log Uploader wasn't happy with me

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-19

Could you try to run your MESS commands from another location than the MESS directory? In cmd window go to "C:\Users\..." (for example) and try to launch "F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64". I guess your issue is that RCB does not change the working directory before starting the emulator.

It is on my list to add this option. In the meantime you could use a small script that does it for you.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - djfourmoney - 2013-02-19

(2013-02-17, 15:24)Aergan Wrote: Does anyone have any good suggestions for muti-disc PSX games in RCB please?

Using XBMC 12.0 on Windows Server 2012.

Can I ask how you did this? I run XBMC on the Media Center PC (Windows 7) with Media Center for Live TV and Hulu Plug-In. The rest is handled by XBMC and one thing I have no been able to get right is RCB to work with various emulators.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-19

(2013-02-19, 08:08)malte Wrote: Could you try to run your MESS commands from another location than the MESS directory? In cmd window go to "C:\Users\..." (for example) and try to launch "F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit>mess64". I guess your issue is that RCB does not change the working directory before starting the emulator.

It is on my list to add this option. In the meantime you could use a small script that does it for you.

Yeah, unrecognized command when I try that.

Could I set an environment variable? I'm not entirely good at that stuff but I just tried temporarily changing my PATH system variable to this:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit\

Didn't get a chance to reboot (still scanning ROM sets), but when I try launching mess64.exe from a cmd prompt from a location other than the location of mess64, I get unrecognized command. I think I will hold off on the script, for now, and either wait for your fix, or a workable environment variable solution (if possible). I have time, as I am knee-deep in getting all these platforms up & running on my DEV system. I'm loving RetroArch!!

I've got a bunch of ROM sets totally working, which leads me to the second phase of setting these monsters up, which is, making it look good with the scrapers, art and movies and such. Don't know about anybody else's experience with the scrapers, but I can only say that mine is just ok. I have art sets from ages ago (my 3DArcade art) that aren't named the same as the names of my current ROM sets that I'm using. I tried to do a test by manually renaming one of my old Atari 2600 boxarts "Asteroids (1979) (Atari).jpg" to the same as the name of the asteroids rom that I am currently using "Asteroid.jpg" (which, by the way, I am AMAZED that it didn't get scraped at all). I tried rescraping and reimporting the set as well as the game individually, but I couldn't get the asteroid.jpg to show up in the RCB UI. Malte, is there a way to scrape my local boxarts, screenshots, etc., that don't have the same filename syntax of my ROMs, to match, or do I need a ROM/EMU art renaming utility or something? I also have complete sets of marquees, flyers, cabs, AVIs for just about every platform, again, not named the same as my current sets though. If I do a ROM import using the 'scan for local art" option, will RCB "successfully" associate my "wrongly-named" art files with my newer (No-Intro) rom sets?

Thanks for all your help Malte!!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Crylen - 2013-02-19

I did a quick search in this thread and couldn't find an answer. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there any easy way to add new systems to RCB? For example, if I wanted to add 'Famicom Disk System' and 'NEC SuperGrafx' to my collection, I'd have to add them under "Other" which usually results in incorrect scraping (Matching up the game with the incorrect system). Is there anyway to add them as a new entry?

Similarly, what about Arcade based systems other than MAME such as Daphne, Model 2, Model 3, Atomiswave, etc. These all follow oddball mame style naming conventions and don't seem to have a pre-made database available like MAME does. I'm assuming the only way to add these would be to create the database file manually? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - blackreign66 - 2013-02-20

Has anyone gotten the gameplay video feature to work with Aeon Nox. I can play a trailer by pressing pause or play but it will not play automatically like it does in MQ4 and Confluence skins.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-20

djfourmoney Wrote:Can I ask how you did this? I run XBMC on the Media Center PC (Windows 7) with Media Center for Live TV and Hulu Plug-In. The rest is handled by XBMC and one thing I have no been able to get right is RCB to work with various emulators.
Do you have issues with getting RCB to work in general or just with multi disc rom? If you have general issues here is a good place to start: link.

Dondi Wrote:Yeah, unrecognized command when I try that.
My bad. You should try: "F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit\mess64" (\ instead of >).

Dondi Wrote:Malte, is there a way to scrape my local boxarts, screenshots, etc., that don't have the same filename syntax of my ROMs, to match, or do I need a ROM/EMU art renaming utility or something? I also have complete sets of marquees, flyers, cabs, AVIs for just about every platform, again, not named the same as my current sets though. If I do a ROM import using the 'scan for local art" option, will RCB "successfully" associate my "wrongly-named" art files with my newer (No-Intro) rom sets?
Sorry, no. Atm there is no fuzzy logic when checking for local artwork. I will think about enabling it but I am afraid this may open a can of worms. There already can be enough issues with grabbing the wrong game description when scraping online. When I will also allow to use this fuzzy thing when searching for local artwork there might be more mismatches on ths stage too.

Crylen Wrote:Is there any easy way to add new systems to RCB? For example, if I wanted to add 'Famicom Disk System' and 'NEC SuperGrafx' to my collection, I'd have to add them under "Other" which usually results in incorrect scraping (Matching up the game with the incorrect system). Is there anyway to add them as a new entry?
Atm I am dependent on what the online sources provide. If these systems aren't available at mobygames, thegamesdb and others there is no chance for me to scrape the correct information. If they are available just with other names I must add kind of a mapping logic to allow different rom collections scraping for the same system.

Crylen Wrote:Similarly, what about Arcade based systems other than MAME such as Daphne, Model 2, Model 3, Atomiswave, etc. These all follow oddball mame style naming conventions and don't seem to have a pre-made database available like MAME does. I'm assuming the only way to add these would be to create the database file manually? Or is there an easier way?
Are there any onlimne sources that provide these infos?

blackreign66 Wrote:Has anyone gotten the gameplay video feature to work with Aeon Nox. I can play a trailer by pressing pause or play but it will not play automatically like it does in MQ4 and Confluence skins.
phil65 is aware of it. I will also look at it if I find the time.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Crylen - 2013-02-20

Thanks for the quick response Malte!

(2013-02-20, 08:43)malte Wrote: Atm I am dependent on what the online sources provide. If these systems aren't available at mobygames, thegamesdb and others there is no chance for me to scrape the correct information. If they are available just with other names I must add kind of a mapping logic to allow different rom collections scraping for the same system.
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I took a look at the scrapers and it's pretty hit or miss, probably because they're all rarer Japanese based systems. If you'd like I can take some time over the next couple days and make a list of available systems on the database sites that aren't available on RCB currently. Although I completely understand if adding some oddball Japanese systems isn't a priority =)

(2013-02-20, 08:43)malte Wrote: Are there any onlimne sources that provide these infos?
The only one I know of that lists information along with ROM filenames is Hyperspin's Hyperlist (http://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/). Unfortunately they're in XML format and without descriptions but they do list title, rom name, genre, rating, manufacturer and year. Does anyone else know of a better database for arcade based systems?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-20

(2013-02-20, 08:43)malte Wrote:
Dondi Wrote:Yeah, unrecognized command when I try that.
My bad. You should try: "F:\Arcade\Emulators\MESS\0.148 64bit\mess64" (\ instead of >).
Successfully launches MESS64 with the quotes around the path from a command prompt anywhere!! Ok, how do I implement that in my launcher command?

(2013-02-20, 08:43)malte Wrote:
Dondi Wrote:Malte, is there a way to scrape my local boxarts, screenshots, etc., that don't have the same filename syntax of my ROMs, to match, or do I need a ROM/EMU art renaming utility or something? I also have complete sets of marquees, flyers, cabs, AVIs for just about every platform, again, not named the same as my current sets though. If I do a ROM import using the 'scan for local art" option, will RCB "successfully" associate my "wrongly-named" art files with my newer (No-Intro) rom sets?
Sorry, no. Atm there is no fuzzy logic when checking for local artwork. I will think about enabling it but I am afraid this may open a can of worms. There already can be enough issues with grabbing the wrong game description when scraping online. When I will also allow to use this fuzzy thing when searching for local artwork there might be more mismatches on ths stage too.
Hmmm, I guess I will need a ROM Utility Manager then to rename my local arts to = my ROM names, then and do an offline scrape (as described here)?
-OR-
Malte, I think I saw a user here on the forums who is affiliated with TheGamesDB.net... do you have a direct line to someone from the sites that you scrape from? Maybe I can zip and upload entire art sets that I have to contribute instead of having to individually upload single arts to the site. May make things easier. The art I am getting back from the scrapers is making me scratch my head a lot Confused

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-20

Ok, I am doing serious battle at this point. Just imported a PSX ReDump set which is .7z. Tried launching with RetroArch mednafan core and RCB is having a hard time parsing the .7z. In the logs it says that RCB has a platform library available for download. I downloaded it and took a peek. That stuff looks old and there is no win64 version. Am I fookered with the .7z format?

I also downloaded the FatMatch utility that is capable of renaming art files to match existing ROM files. Started off with my Atari 2600 set because the initial scrape was abysmal (maybe 70-80 boxarts got scraped from my 514 set and almost no descriptions). I was able to get my boxart count up to 309 after a not-so-automated process with FatMatch. I still however can't get my art to appear after trying to re-import the set using local art.

I also found your game descriptions and working parser configuration .zip. Looks old. Is this still good to use as per the instructions here or is it worth it to create new ones?

Here are some more xbmc logs. RCB is doing a lot of complaining and the oldlog is large.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-21

Crylen Wrote:If you'd like I can take some time over the next couple days and make a list of available systems on the database sites that aren't available on RCB currently. Although I completely understand if adding some oddball Japanese systems isn't a priority =)
This would be nice. But as you say I can't promise when I will start working on this. I think I will do this when I start reworking the scrapers in some weeks.

Crylen Wrote:The only one I know of that lists information along with ROM filenames is Hyperspin's Hyperlist (http://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/). Unfortunately they're in XML format and without descriptions but they do list title, rom name, genre, rating, manufacturer and year. Does anyone else know of a better database for arcade based systems?
Thanks for the link. The format looks easy to implement with RCB. I could provide you a matching parser config in a couple of days. Only problem will be the game matching. We can rely on crc values (not sure if they will always match) or we have to check that the game names are matching with the names used in these files.

Dondi Wrote:Successfully launches MESS64 with the quotes around the path from a command prompt anywhere!! Ok, how do I implement that in my launcher command?
Usually this should work out of the box. Can you show me a log after you tried to launch a game?

Dondi Wrote:Malte, I think I saw a user here on the forums who is affiliated with TheGamesDB.net... do you have a direct line to someone from the sites that you scrape from? Maybe I can zip and upload entire art sets that I have to contribute instead of having to individually upload single arts to the site. May make things easier. The art I am getting back from the scrapers is making me scratch my head a lot
Its ghostelement. I am sure he will not mind if you PM him here in the forums.

Dondi Wrote:Ok, I am doing serious battle at this point. Just imported a PSX ReDump set which is .7z. Tried launching with RetroArch mednafan core and RCB is having a hard time parsing the .7z. In the logs it says that RCB has a platform library available for download. I downloaded it and took a peek. That stuff looks old and there is no win64 version. Am I fookered with the .7z format?
You can get the latest version here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylzma/. Still have to include this in one of next RCB releases.

Dondi Wrote:I also found your game descriptions and working parser configuration .zip. Looks old. Is this still good to use as per the instructions here or is it worth it to create new ones?
The games are old tooSmile. I don't think that anything of the provided information has changed. But you are right. I could ping the guys at emuxtras and check if they already have bugfixed versions of these files.

Thanks for the logs. I am trying to fix most of the little issues now so it might be very helpful.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-02-21

(2013-02-21, 08:10)malte Wrote:
Crylen Wrote:If you'd like I can take some time over the next couple days and make a list of available systems on the database sites that aren't available on RCB currently. Although I completely understand if adding some oddball Japanese systems isn't a priority =)
This would be nice. But as you say I can't promise when I will start working on this. I think I will do this when I start reworking the scrapers in some weeks.

Crylen Wrote:The only one I know of that lists information along with ROM filenames is Hyperspin's Hyperlist (http://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/). Unfortunately they're in XML format and without descriptions but they do list title, rom name, genre, rating, manufacturer and year. Does anyone else know of a better database for arcade based systems?
Thanks for the link. The format looks easy to implement with RCB. I could provide you a matching parser config in a couple of days. Only problem will be the game matching. We can rely on crc values (not sure if they will always match) or we have to check that the game names are matching with the names used in these files.
malte, would romset .DAT files be useful at all? There are standardized rom sets with .DAT files readily-available. Could the .DATs be of use to you or the scraper sites if the user has the ability to tell RCB which set he/she is working with (i.e., a listoption of common sets in RCB>> No-Intro, TOSEC, ReDump, unknown, etc.) to help with the scraping of arts & infos?

Dondi Wrote:Successfully launches MESS64 with the quotes around the path from a command prompt anywhere!! Ok, how do I implement that in my launcher command?
Usually this should work out of the box. Can you show me a log after you tried to launch a game?
Ok, new logs posted here. I set xbmc to debug mode and did a bunch of trial launches of some platforms addressing MESS64

Dondi Wrote:Ok, I am doing serious battle at this point. Just imported a PSX ReDump set which is .7z. Tried launching with RetroArch mednafan core and RCB is having a hard time parsing the .7z. In the logs it says that RCB has a platform library available for download. I downloaded it and took a peek. That stuff looks old and there is no win64 version. Am I fookered with the .7z format?
You can get the latest version here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylzma/. Still have to include this in one of next RCB releases.
Ok, I think I need some hand-holding on this... I am totally lost with this stuff. I got to the page and got scared Shocked What the heck is a python egg and what do I do with it?? Big Grin Or do I need the tarball? Sorry, for my lameness with this stuff. It shouldn't matter that there are no 64-bit versions available (I'm on win 8)

Dondi Wrote:I also found your game descriptions and working parser configuration .zip. Looks old. Is this still good to use as per the instructions here or is it worth it to create new ones?
The games are old tooSmile. I don't think that anything of the provided information has changed. But you are right. I could ping the guys at emuxtras and check if they already have bugfixed versions of these files.
Ok, haven't fully discovered how to do this yet. I'll let this sit as I get try and get all the platforms up and running and hopefully by that time the scraping success rate will improve.

(2013-02-21, 08:10)malte Wrote: Thanks for the logs. I am trying to fix most of the little issues now so it might be very helpful.

At the end of the logged XBMC session (link to log same as above) I tried to reimport my Atari 2600 set to try and regrab all the new boxart I created. I am trying to get RCB to "see" the 200+ new boxarts I added to the art folder. No success. Maybe you can yell at me for not using local art import correctly Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-02-21

Dondi Wrote:malte, would romset .DAT files be useful at all? There are standardized rom sets with .DAT files readily-available. Could the .DATs be of use to you or the scraper sites if the user has the ability to tell RCB which set he/she is working with (i.e., a listoption of common sets in RCB>> No-Intro, TOSEC, ReDump, unknown, etc.) to help with the scraping of arts & infos?
This is on my list for a long time. As long as the information in the .dat files is well structured and automatically parsable (and I guess this is the purpose of these files) I should be able to get RCB to understand them. I will try to grab some examples of these files and see how it goes.

Dondi Wrote:Ok, I think I need some hand-holding on this... I am totally lost with this stuff. I got to the page and got scared What the heck is a python egg and what do I do with it?? Or do I need the tarball? Sorry, for my lameness with this stuff. It shouldn't matter that there are no 64-bit versions available (I'm on win 8)
The .egg file is just a zip-format. You can extract the content of the file to RCBs platform_libraries/Windows folder. But I also added the files to my current dev branch. So, next release should be shipped with the correct files (at least on Windows).

Anybody willing and able to provide compiled versions of the Linux 32bit and 64bit files? I will try to compile the 32bit myself, but I have no 64bit Linux system atm.