Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - BugRaider84 - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 08:48)malte Wrote:
BugRaider84 Wrote:Now I'm trying to start a game. It doesn't, to say that first. The program (SNES9x) is starting and XBMC is going into window mode but the rom is not starting... If I'm starting a game directly (without xbmc/RCB being involved) it runs just fine.
Did you launch the game via command line? Make sure that you use the exact command line in RCB that works outside of XBMC. If you still have trouble please show me a log file after you tried to launch the game.

Well I have no idea how to figure out the command line ... as I said I'm a newbie ;-) Is that by trial and error or is there a way to find out about the command line? I didn't really get the Wiki at that point. btw running OSX
Really appreciate the help Big Grin
Cheers

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 20:37)Dark_Slayer Wrote:
(2013-03-06, 05:38)Dondi Wrote: I think the -D param suppresses the DOS box from popping-up and I believe the -L param is for launching the game/core/EMU (I think)

You can use RetroArch-Phoenix.exe to configure each core and save the config. With the -c you can specify which config to pass to the core on a per-platform/console basis. So, if you have a particular "special" configuration for your video and/or audio settings for a particular platform/core (i.e., GameBoy Color), you would set up a GameBoyColor.cfg file using retroarch-phoenix.exe with your special settings and pass -c "Path\to\my\Retroarch\ConfigFolder\GameBoyColor.cfg" with the rest of the traditional commandline params (-f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64.dll "%ROM%").

Thanks for this, I like the idea of a single config. I'll try using this for most

Without a N64 core, I guess I'll be sticking with Project64. Does -f -D "%ROM%" work to make it full screen with a suppressed DOS prompt as well? I'm a command line rookie, so I can't tell if these parameters are unique or universal. FWIW, I did read this page first

The commandline parameter switches are EMU-specific. So, for Project 64, the -f will not work. I believe you set that as a default in the P64 application beforehand, so there is no need to send any parameters via commandline from RCB. If I remember correctly, you need to open P64 and hunt around the settings (I think it's buried in and ADVANCED button) and look for a checkbox for launch game in fullscreen.

Here is a comprehensive list of all the EMUs I have working on my test system and their commandline params. Maybe this will be helpful to others trying to configure theirs as well. I am on a Win 8 machine, so please take that into account when reviewing this list

RetroArch
Genesis = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
Sega Master System = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
Sega CD = -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86.dll "%ROM%"
SNES = -f -D -L libretro-git-snes9x-next-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"
Atari 2600 = -f -D -L libretro-git-stella-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"
GameBoy = -f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"
GameBoy Color = -f -D -L libretro-git-gambatte-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"
GameBoy Advance = -f -D -L libretro-git-vba-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"
NES = -f -D -L libretro-git-bnes-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"

Project64 1.6
N64 = %rom% <----NOTE: no quotes and lowercase

4DO
3DO = --StartFullScreen -StartLoadFile="%rom%"

MESS
ColecoVision = coleco -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Atari 5200 (currently not working) = a5200 -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Atari 7800 = a7800 -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Magnovox Odyssey2 = odyssey2 -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow
Intellivision = intv -cart "%ROM%" -skip_gameinfo -nowindow

ePSXe
Playstation = -nogui -loadiso "%ROM%"

Kega Fusion
Sega 32X = "%ROM%" -fullscreen

All-in-all I have 17 platforms up & running. 1 not working yet (Atari 5200) and 1 that I decided to bail on; Sega Saturn and its EMU was just too much of a bear at the moment.

Some words of advice, having just gone through this process of setting-up the platforms listed above... Configure the Emulator first based on your hardware, especially the graphics card, version of DirectX, shaders, hardware plug-ins, audio hardware, audio plug-ins, required machine BIOS files, etc. You may decide a certain RetroArch core may perform better for a certain ROM set on your hardware than what I have used in the above listing. Try and do all the pre-configuration in the EMU settings first or, if the EMU doesn't have an interface, try and get a front-end configuration app (i.e., For RetroArch, use retroarch-phoenix.exe and there is also one available to configure ePSXe)

Hopefully this list is useful.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - casinatorcxc - 2013-03-06

Thanks so much, that list was very helpful! Now is there anyway to force RetroArch to not only open fullscreen but stretch the aspect ratio to fill it all. I edited the config file but I think XBMC is overriding it. Also, is there anyway to get rid of the transition from XBMC to the emulator? I don't like how it minimizes and shows the desktop for a second, then opens the emulator.Any help would be great!

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 23:33)casinatorcxc Wrote: Thanks so much! That helped a lot! Now is there anyway to force RetroArch to not only open fullscreen but stretch the aspect ratio to fill it all. I edited the config file but I think XBMC is overriding it. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Did you pass the -c param to RetroArch via RCB? I am guessing that if you didn't purposely create a .cfg file to do what you want, then RetroArch is using the default RetroArch.cfg file. To use it, I think you need to first use RetroArch-phoenix.exe to create a "special" config file. Save it and name it something specific i.e., mySpecialSNES.cfg

There are aspect ratio and fullscreen settings in the Video Settings menu of retroArch-phoenix.exe

I think I have my default retroarch using the native aspect ratio of the platform, so in fullscreen on the 4:3 games, there are black bars on the sides. If you want to globally stretch to a 16:9 ratio, I think there is a checkbox to do that, so use that and re-save the retroarch.cfg

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - casinatorcxc - 2013-03-07

(2013-03-06, 23:40)Dondi Wrote:
(2013-03-06, 23:33)casinatorcxc Wrote: Thanks so much! That helped a lot! Now is there anyway to force RetroArch to not only open fullscreen but stretch the aspect ratio to fill it all. I edited the config file but I think XBMC is overriding it. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Did you pass the -c param to RetroArch via RCB? I am guessing that if you didn't purposely create a .cfg file to do what you want, then RetroArch is using the default RetroArch.cfg file. To use it, I think you need to first use RetroArch-phoenix.exe to create a "special" config file. Save it and name it something specific i.e., mySpecialSNES.cfg

There are aspect ratio and fullscreen settings in the Video Settings menu of retroArch-phoenix.exe

I think I have my default retroarch using the native aspect ratio of the platform, so in fullscreen on the 4:3 games, there are black bars on the sides. If you want to globally stretch to a 16:9 ratio, I think there is a checkbox to do that, so use that and re-save the retroarch.cfg

I did try that. I saved the retroarch.cfg file to have video_aspect_ratio = "1.777800" and it didn't help when I loaded from RCB. When I load with phoenix it works fullscreen.

What does -c do?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-07

-c "C:\Emulators\retroarch0.9.8\retroarch.cfg" -f -D -L libretro-git-genplus-x86_64.dll "%ROM%"

@casinatorcxc. The above RCB commandline param will force RetroArch to use the retroarch.cfg. The -c just means "use this config file" that is inside the quotes, at this location. I would say play around with phoenix and a custom .cfg & RCB to get it right.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-03-07

dohnalradek Wrote:malte: How can I install this missing sqlite3 module please? I have a new installation of Frodo XBMCbuntu and Im sure I didnt delete/unintall any files...
I have to check this myself. But it may take some days until I will find the time.

BugRaider84 Wrote:Well I have no idea how to figure out the command line ... as I said I'm a newbie ;-) Is that by trial and error or is there a way to find out about the command line? I didn't really get the Wiki at that point. btw running OSX
When you launch a game you should find the complete command line your xbmc.log. Just search for the name of your rom or emulator. You should copy/paste the complete command line to a command window and test if it will work there.

@Dondi: Thanks a lot for helping out on the retroarch front. I will try to collect your infos and configs and maybe create a small Howto page with this. Should not be buried inside this thread.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dark_Slayer - 2013-03-07

(2013-03-06, 21:26)Dondi Wrote: Project64 1.6
N64 = "rom" <----NOTE: no % sign and lowercase

Thanks a million, for the whole list as well

note that the advanced launcher resource page for project 64 appears to be incorrect

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-03-07

(2013-03-07, 18:18)Dark_Slayer Wrote:
(2013-03-06, 21:26)Dondi Wrote: Project64 1.6
N64 = "rom" <----NOTE: no % sign and lowercase

Thanks a million, for the whole list as well

note that the advanced launcher resource page for project 64 appears to be incorrect
I think this bit may be wrong. You will need the %% around the rom, otherwise it will not replace the rom placeholder with the correct path to your rom file. But you have to be careful with the "". In Version 1.6 of Project64 the parameters have to be %rom% (without "") and in version 1.7 the parameters have to be "%rom%" (with "").

Just as it is explained on Gwenaels page.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Dondi - 2013-03-07

Ooops, I guess I transposed that bit when I wrote the post above. Thanks for the correction Smile

Does anyone know, or has had experience with, the Disk Indicator parameter in RCB who can guide me along in understanding & configuring multiple image games to work correctly in RCB?

I am thinking I need to implement this with 2 of my platforms/EMUs (3DO using 4DO and Playstation with ePSXe)

In my 3DO TOSEC ROM set, there are a couple of multiple image games. The TOSEC set is a .zip format with a .cue and .iso inside. Multiple image .zip files use (Disc x of n) syntax in the filename format. I assume I pump that into the Disk Indicator param in RCB (please chime-in if you know what exactly I should enter into that Disk Indicator field for both 3DO and eSPXe)??
Here is an example of a multiple image game for 3DO that I have:
Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger (1995)(Origin)(US)(Disc 1 of 4)[!].zip
Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger (1995)(Origin)(US)(Disc 2 of 4)[!].zip
Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger (1995)(Origin)(US)(Disc 3 of 4).zip
Wing Commander III - Heart of the Tiger (1995)(Origin)(US)(Disc 4 of 4).zip

For Playstation, I am using a ReDump set which is comprised of .7z format that contains a .cue and .bin(s). The filename syntax uses a simple (Disc n) format.
Here is an example of a multiple image game for Playstation that I have:
Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (USA) (Disc 1).7z
Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare (USA) (Disc 2).7z

Currently, for both platforms, I choose a game in RCB, I hit enter, and I am then presented with an RCB dialog box to choose which file should be extracted into the \userdata\RCB\tmp folder. I choose the non-.cue file in both instances. The 3DO usually only has 1 .cue and 1 .iso. The PSX set has 1 .cue and can have multiple .bin files

I think I understand the intention of the RCB Disk Indicator param, but I am not sure how to fully use it with my current ROM sets and setup. In my 3DO example, if I use the disk indicator parameter, will RCB treat all 4 .zip archives as a single game and unzip all four into the tmp folder? At what point will my EMU (4DO) know how/when to switch to one of the other 3 images? I believe the way I have my RCB setup for both ePSXe and 4DO, the .cue sheets are being ignored and RCB just unzips the ROM file for each platform into the RCB tmp directory.

I guess those are my big mysteries before I start fiddling around with multiple image games. Hopefully someone can save me some headaches beforehand Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Slipass - 2013-03-07

Hello,
i used win 8, romcollection browser 2.0.3 and snes9x.

How can i start the games in fullscreen and close the app with the controller? ä

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - salzwer - 2013-03-08

Hello.

I've been having trouble when launching games (xbmc integrated distro) no matter what game is and no matter what emu is. When clicked, it displays "Launch game xxxx" but nothing happens.

Looking for clues, I decided to launch with terminal and then saw that...

sh: \/usr\/bin\/gens: not found
sh: \/home\/xbmc\/zsnes: not found

Ofc, both paths exist with the executable file there (zsnes one is a dupe from /usr/bin, where it gave the same problem), but the comp keeps saying it misses the files.

Any idea? (Thanks in advance).

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - XeroKool - 2013-03-08

(2013-03-07, 23:43)Slipass Wrote: Hello,
i used win 8, romcollection browser 2.0.3 and snes9x.

How can i start the games in fullscreen and close the app with the controller? ä

This link should get you started.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-03-08

Dondi Wrote:I assume I pump that into the Disk Indicator param in RCB (please chime-in if you know what exactly I should enter into that Disk Indicator field for both 3DO and eSPXe)??
In both your scenarios the disk indicator in RCB should be "\(Disc .*\)" (without ""). But I guess it may not work as you expect it. RCB should just provide you a list of possible discs and you can select which one you want to launch. This one will be extracted to the tmp dir. Launching more than one disc is possible if the emulator supports it. (Win)UAE is the only one that I know of, no idea if 4DO can do the same. In this case you will need some more "logic" in your emu params like explained here.

I never tested the multi disc scenario in combination with several discs inside a zip file. So, I could imagine there will be some issues with it. Swapping discs while you are playing a game will also be not possible as the next disc is still zipped and the emu can't access it. I am afraid all the multi disc and zip extraction code needs some serious rework.

Slipass Wrote:How can i start the games in fullscreen and close the app with the controller?
If you want to do it with your controller you will need an additional application like Event Ghost that can map your button presses. But I never used it myself.

salzwer Wrote:Looking for clues, I decided to launch with terminal and then saw that...

sh: \/usr\/bin\/gens: not found
Did you try to disable Escape Emulator cmd?