Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Djape - 2010-08-20

Ah, it was permissions problem FYI.

Game now starts, but not in fullscreen :/

Cheers and respect for the great plugin Wink

- malte - 2010-08-20

Riffmaker Wrote:Unrelated second question: Would Dosbox work even tho their aren't single ROM files for dos games?

I don't know how Dosbox works. As Tomkun says you must be able to invoke it via command line and you need one "reference file" for your games that will be imported into RCBs database and may be passed as argument to the emu.

Like on xbox where you have a folder with lots of files but RCB is only interested in the "default.xbe".

- Riffmaker - 2010-08-21

malte Wrote:I don't know how Dosbox works. As Tomkun says you must be able to invoke it via command line and you need one "reference file" for your games that will be imported into RCBs database and may be passed as argument to the emu.

Like on xbox where you have a folder with lots of files but RCB is only interested in the "default.xbe".

Hurm.
Dosbox is mostly ran from a command line so that part is ok. The 'reference file' would need to be *.exe, however a problem I forsee is that there are usually install or setup files in the game directory that have that extension. If I had 10 games(for example) there might be 10 separate setup.exe files along with the game launching .exe file. Not only that but alot of games have same name files so each game would need to be in a separate sub folder of the main directory(will it scan the subdirectories?) Yet another problem is some games even have the same filename to launch(like all the old Sierra games were launched in dos by changing to the right directory and typing in 'sierra.exe') So there might be 5 'Sierra.exe' games listed. Could the titles(not the filename.exe itself) be changed to reflect that one Sierra.exe is Police Quest 2 and another Sierra.exe is Spacequest 4? Can you delete things from the library list?(like all the setup.exe's that would be scanned?)

- wimpy - 2010-08-21

As the Ressurectionxtras team is currently working on a dosbox release (incl games) it might be possible for me to compile a list of which file to execute pr game and include into the dos-synopsis:

-----
Platform: DOS
Launchfile: play.exe
Genre: Shooter
-----

Just a quick thought before i'm gone for a few days again Tongue

- Tomkun - 2010-08-21

I am getting this error:
RuntimeError: unable to get modification time from 'special://xbmc/system/python/Lib\encodings\iso8859_15.py'

When importing games into my database now. From first glance, I can see that the slashes in the path point in different directions, but is this a bug or something I have done wrong?

[Edit]Never mind. I installed the latest beta and this issue has gone away.[/Edit]

[Edit]Spoke too soon. Still happening![/Edit]

RCB on MAC - ryosaeba87 - 2010-08-21

Hi all,

i'm a Mac user, and i have installed on my xbmc this new add-on..... it's great !!

But, on my platform, doesn't work ....

When start an Amiga games with euae, emulator don't start. I have 4 errors on xbmc.log with gui.py .

Anyone help me ?

- xbmc4win7 - 2010-08-21

hi guys, i've followed the instructions in the documentation and RCB is running fine with the test data folder. However i'm totally confused when it comes to editing the %ROM% so that RCB can run the rom files. My scenario is that i have a lot of roms for mame in one folder, so would i have to edit the config for each file? Maybe someone can send me a readymade version so that i understand how to edit it?

- ryosaeba87 - 2010-08-21

xbmc4win7 Wrote:hi guys, i've followed the instructions in the documentation and RCB is running fine with the test data folder. However i'm totally confused when it comes to editing the %ROM% so that RCB can run the rom files. My scenario is that i have a lot of roms for mame in one folder, so would i have to edit the config for each file? Maybe someone can send me a readymade version so that i understand how to edit it?

Hi,

you can use " * " ( star character ) in your romPath.

For example
Code:
<romPath>X:\path_to_your_mame_roms\*.zip</romPath>
if you have zipped files. You can use one or more romPath for your configuration if you need.

%ROM% is a variable that you can use in <emulatorCmd> configuration for start the games!.

You can find more information on official wiki:

http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/Main#config.xml

bye

- xbmc4win7 - 2010-08-21

thanks ryo,

if i use mame, then what version of mame will i need?

- ryosaeba87 - 2010-08-21

I not any idea, because i don't use mame on Windows.
I think it fits any stable version.

- malte - 2010-08-21

Riffmaker Wrote:however a problem I forsee is that there are usually install or setup files in the game directory that have that extension

This is a problem now. I may add an exclude list in a later version but for now you could delete or rename these files before scanning. There is no way to delete DB entries from RCB but you could do it with a database editor if you feel fit enough to do this.

Quote:Not only that but alot of games have same name files so each game would need to be in a separate sub folder of the main directory(will it scan the subdirectories?)

Yes, it will scan sub directories. With version 0.6.1 you can also limit the depth with maxFolderDepth to prevent searching sub sub directories.

Quote:Yet another problem is some games even have the same filename to launch(like all the old Sierra games were launched in dos by changing to the right directory and typing in 'sierra.exe') So there might be 5 'Sierra.exe' games listed. Could the titles(not the filename.exe itself) be changed to reflect that one Sierra.exe is Police Quest 2 and another Sierra.exe is Spacequest 4?

It is possible if you use a separate game description file: http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/Preview#Add_game_description

wimpy Wrote:As the Ressurectionxtras team is currently working on a dosbox release (incl games) it might be possible for me to compile a list of which file to execute pr game and include into the dos-synopsis:

ATM I like the idea with an exclude list more (If it is just a list with "Install.exe", "Setup.exe", ...). If we end up with tons of excludes a positive list would be a better choice.

Tomkun Wrote:I am getting this error:
RuntimeError: unable to get modification time from 'special://xbmc/system/python/Lib\encodings\iso8859_15.py'

Never seen this. What system are you running (OS and XBMC)? And does it happen since you updated RCB or did you change anything else? The error looks more like an XBMC related thing but modification date also sounds like the new feature of config.xml checking. Can you provide a full log file?

ryosaeba87 Wrote:i'm a Mac user, and i have installed on my xbmc this new add-on..... it's great !!

But, on my platform, doesn't work ....

When start an Amiga games with euae, emulator don't start. I have 4 errors on xbmc.log with gui.py .

Welcome, first Mac userSmile
Can't test it here, so you have to help me to get this working. Maybe we need some little code changes to launch files on the MAC, I have to check how other plugins are doing this. Can you show me these 4 errors as a start?

xbmc4win7 Wrote:if i use mame, then what version of mame will i need?

any version that runs on your system and can be launched via command line.

- ryosaeba87 - 2010-08-22

Quote:Welcome, first Mac user
Can't test it here, so you have to help me to get this working. Maybe we need some little code changes to launch files on the MAC, I have to check how other plugins are doing this. Can you show me these 4 errors as a start?

Hi malte,

i'm not python developer, but if I can help I will be happy to do so.
Well, the errors that i can see on my xbmc.log are:

Code:
00:34:47 T:2959355904 M:565321728   DEBUG: Thread 2959355904 terminating (autodelete)
00:34:47 T:2956161024 M:565370880   DEBUG: Thread 2956161024 terminating (autodelete)
00:34:47 T:2692388096 M:565403648   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 36, sym: 13, unicode: 13, modifier: 2000
00:34:47 T:2692388096 M:565403648   DEBUG: OnKey: 61453 pressed, action is Select
00:34:47 T:2956693504 M:565403648  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Begin launchEmu
00:34:47 T:2956693504 M:565403648  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launching game with id: 1
00:34:47 T:2956693504 M:565403648  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Begin helper.launchEmu
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565420032   ERROR: Exception in python script's onAction
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565420032  NOTICE: Traceback (most recent call last):
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565420032  NOTICE:   File "/Users/ryo/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/resources/lib/gui.py", line 177, in onAction
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565420032  NOTICE: if(action.getId() in ACTION_CANCEL_DIALOG):
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565420032  NOTICE:   File "/Users/ryo/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/resources/lib/gui.py", line 274, in onClick
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565415936  NOTICE: self.launchEmu()        
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565415936  NOTICE:   File "/Users/ryo/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/resources/lib/gui.py", line 574, in launchEmu
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE: helper.launchEmu(self.gdb, self, gameId)
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE:   File "/Users/ryo/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/resources/lib/helper.py", line 125, in launchEmu
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE: newrepl = replString
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE: UnboundLocalError
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE: :
00:34:48 T:2956693504 M:565411840  NOTICE: local variable 'replString' referenced before assignment

Import Game function work fine.

This is my config.xml

Code:
<config>
    <RCBSettings>
        <showEntryAllConsoles>True</showEntryAllConsoles>
        <showEntryAllGenres>True</showEntryAllGenres>
        <showEntryAllYears>True</showEntryAllYears>
        <showEntryAllPublisher>True</showEntryAllPublisher>
        <saveViewStateOnExit>True</saveViewStateOnExit>
        <saveViewStateOnLaunchEmu>True</saveViewStateOnLaunchEmu>        
    </RCBSettings>

<Consoles>                
        <Console>
            <name>Amiga</name>            
        </Console>    
    </Consoles>

<FileTypes>            
        <FileType>
            <name>cover</name>
            <type>image</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>                
        <FileType>
            <name>title</name>
            <type>image</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>
        <FileType>
            <name>action</name>
            <type>image</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>
        <FileType>
            <name>cartridge</name>
            <type>image</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>
        <FileType>
            <name>console</name>
            <type>image</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>
        <FileType>
            <name>gameplay</name>
            <type>video</type>
            <parent>game</parent>
        </FileType>        
    </FileTypes>

<RomCollections>            
        <RomCollection>            
            <name>Amiga</name>
            <consoleName>Amiga</consoleName>
            <emulatorCmd>/Users/ryo/AMIGA/HITORO_MACOS/E-UAE-0.8.29-WIP4/E-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/uae -f /Users/ryo/AMIGA/configurazione.uaerc -0 "%ROM%"</emulatorCmd>
            <useEmuSolo>False</useEmuSolo>            
            <descFilePerGame>True</descFilePerGame>
            <descriptionParserFile>/Users/ryo/AMIGA/DescrizioneGiochi/parserConfig.xml</descriptionParserFile>                        
            <searchGameByCRC>False</searchGameByCRC>            
            <ignoreGameWithoutDesc>False</ignoreGameWithoutDesc>
            <romPath>/Users/ryo/AMIGA/AmigaDisk/*.adf</romPath>            
            <descFilePath>/Users/ryo/AMIGA/DescrizioneGiochi/descrizione.txt</descFilePath>            
            <mediaPath type="cover">PathToData\Amiga\cover\%GAME%\*.jpg</mediaPath>            
            <mediaPath type="action">PathToData\Amiga\screens\%GAME%\*.jpg</mediaPath>            
            <fileTypeForGameList>cover</fileTypeForGameList>
            <fileTypeForGameListSelected>cover</fileTypeForGameListSelected>
            <fileTypeForMainViewBackground>cover</fileTypeForMainViewBackground>
            <fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>action</fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoBig>        
            <fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>cover</fileTypeForGameInfoViewBackground>
            <fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>cover</fileTypeForGameInfoViewGamelist>            
            <fileTypeForGameInfoView2>action</fileTypeForGameInfoView2>
            <fileTypeForGameInfoView3>cover</fileTypeForGameInfoView3>            
        </RomCollection>            
    </RomCollections>    
</config>

Bye

- Tomkun - 2010-08-22

malte Wrote:Never seen this. What system are you running (OS and XBMC)? And does it happen since you updated RCB or did you change anything else? The error looks more like an XBMC related thing but modification date also sounds like the new feature of config.xml checking. Can you provide a full log file?

I am using Vista and nightly builds, although I had not changed anything before the problem started to occur. I did try to add some artwork, but have since reverted my config.xml back and the error still occurs.

Here is the debug log of the pertinent part.

Quote:12:56:43 T:5884 M:2400989184 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: more than one file in zip archive is not supported! Checking CRC of first entry.
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2303270912 ERROR: Stat: fd == -1
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392850432 ERROR: Previous line repeats 521 times.
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392850432 NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: description file for game 10 Yard Fight could not be found. Check if this path exists:
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392846336 ERROR: Stat: fd == -1
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392846336 INFO: -->Python script returned the following error<--
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392846336 ERROR: Error Type: exceptions.RuntimeError
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392842240 ERROR: Error Contents: unable to get modification time from 'special://xbmc/system/python/Lib\encodings\iso8859_15.py'
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392842240 ERROR: Stat: fd == -1
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392748032 ERROR: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392748032 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\default.py", line 46, in ?
import gui
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 1576, in ?
main()
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 1570, in main
ui = UIGameDB("script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml", os.getcwd(), "Default", "PAL")
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 191, in __init__
self.checkImport(doImport)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 1050, in checkImport
dbupdate.DBUpdate().updateDB(self.gdb, progressDialog)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py", line 192, in updateDB
self.insertGameFromDesc(gamedescription, lastgamename, ignoreGameWithoutDesc, gamename, romCollectionRow, filenamelist, foldername, allowUpdate)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py", line 434, in insertGameFromDesc
self.insertData(gamedescription, gamename, romCollectionRow[0], filenamelist, foldername, allowUpdate, consoleId, consoleName)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py", line 508, in insertData
None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None, allowUpdate)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\dbupdate.py", line 548, in insertGame
Logutil.log("Game does not exist in database. Insert game: " +gameName.encode('iso-8859-15'), util.LOG_LEVEL_INFO)
File "special://xbmc/system/python/Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 96, in search_function
globals(), locals(), _import_tail)
12:56:44 T:5884 M:2392748032 INFO: -->End of Python script error report<--

It seems that some other people may be having similar issues with other scripts. It may well not be an RCB issue...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78961

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9937

- malte - 2010-08-22

ryosaeba87 Wrote:Hi malte,

i'm not python developer, but if I can help I will be happy to do so.
Well, the errors that i can see on my xbmc.log are:

This error does not look MAC related. It is a mixture of configuration error and lazy programmingSmile

You are using this emuCmd:
Code:
<emulatorCmd>/.../uae -f /Users/ryo/AMIGA/configurazione.uaerc -0 "%ROM%"</emulatorCmd>

You have a fixed -0 in your cmd but %ROM% may be replaced with more than one rom file during runtime. RCB uses {} to handle multiple roms and gets an error if there are multiple rom files but no brackets.

So, you could try this:
1. Launch a game that only uses 1 rom file
2. Replace -0 "%ROM%" with: {-%I% "%ROM%"}
--> RCB will replace {%I%} with -0 romfile1 -1 romfile2, ...

@Tomkun: Yes, this does not look RCB related. Seems that XBMC does not find the encoding module. But I will have a look at it later.

- Tomkun - 2010-08-22

malte Wrote:@Tomkun: Yes, this does not look RCB related. Seems that XBMC does not find the encoding module. But I will have a look at it later.

As we suspected, this is not an issue with RCB. I have reverted to an older build of XBMC and everything is working perfectly. A600 has opened a ticket on trac, and jmarshall is looking into it, I think. So, hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong soon.

On a side note though, I have spent a long time getting artwork for the games I have and it all looks great. However, every view mode has a large blank area for text and game information, which I don't have and don't particularly want to spend hours getting. So, is there a way of getting rid of the empty textboxes, or is there a fast way of scraping game info into a usable format?