Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

Loading Save states - bluestarCVO - 2013-07-07

I'm hoping I can get some help with setting up RCB to load savestates of games on my emulators. The two emulators I am mainly concerned with are my NES (FCEUX) and SNES (SNES9X or ZSNES) emulators. I've got everything set up in RCB and can load the games without any problem. I just can't figure out how to get the saved states to load. Specifically, what I need to know is the savestate params for setup in RCB. Can anyone provide these for me or at least point me in the right direction to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RE: Loading Save states - tranceology3 - 2013-07-07

(2013-07-07, 21:47)bluestarCVO Wrote: I'm hoping I can get some help with setting up RCB to load savestates of games on my emulators. The two emulators I am mainly concerned with are my NES (FCEUX) and SNES (SNES9X or ZSNES) emulators. I've got everything set up in RCB and can load the games without any problem. I just can't figure out how to get the saved states to load. Specifically, what I need to know is the savestate params for setup in RCB. Can anyone provide these for me or at least point me in the right direction to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just curious, do you use a controller to play your games? How do you exit the emualator? If you use something like Xpadder you could make one of your controller buttons a hotkey to load a savestate, and in xpadder maybe put a certain amount of time to hold the button till it does the function to load the state, so you don't accidentally hit the button. You could also make another button the save state.

RE: Loading Save states - bluestarCVO - 2013-07-07

(2013-07-07, 22:00)tranceology3 Wrote:
(2013-07-07, 21:47)bluestarCVO Wrote: I'm hoping I can get some help with setting up RCB to load savestates of games on my emulators. The two emulators I am mainly concerned with are my NES (FCEUX) and SNES (SNES9X or ZSNES) emulators. I've got everything set up in RCB and can load the games without any problem. I just can't figure out how to get the saved states to load. Specifically, what I need to know is the savestate params for setup in RCB. Can anyone provide these for me or at least point me in the right direction to find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just curious, do you use a controller to play your games? How do you exit the emualator? If you use something like Xpadder you could make one of your controller buttons a hotkey to load a savestate, and in xpadder maybe put a certain amount of time to hold the button till it does the function to load the state, so you don't accidentally hit the button. You could also make another button the save state.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just use a generic USB controller to play the games. I exit the emulator by pressing the "menu" button on my Harmony remote control, which is mapped to the letter C. I am unfamiliar with Xpadder.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2013-07-07

Xpadder just remaps your controller buttons to keyboard buttons. For example I use an xbox 360 wirless controller to play all my emulators. While using Xpadder, it just sits in the background, it will switch an Xpadder profile for me when it senses an emulator opens up. So for example im in Xbmc, and click on a SNES game, it will launch my snes emulator and Xpadder will swtich to my SNES profile. Then I have only 1 button my Xbox controller mapped, and that is to hold the back button for 3 seconds to exit the emulator, at 3 seconds it hits Alt+F4. So in your situation, I could map my L shoulder, and R shoulder buttons to be save states, or load states. Just map whatever hotkey the emulator uses for save and load states. When I exit the emulator, Xbmc loads back up, and my Xpadder switches to my Xbmc profile, so I no longer have to worry about those buttons I assigned to SNES. I do this for every emulator I have, and can make infinite numbers of profiles designed for each emulator.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bluestarCVO - 2013-07-08

Sounds very interesting, and much more efficient than what I am trying to do! I am going to look into Xpadder and try and integrate that into my setup. Got a link to a good Xpadder tutorial? Also, on another note, I was going to grab me one of those wireless Xbox controllers for the PC online. Would I have any problems usin g this to play the games on the emulators? Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dishwater63 - 2013-07-08

So I tested this add-on by loading up the entire NES ROM collection (based on the No-intro set), and while it looks like it grabbed most of the games correctly, I'm still missing a few games. It seems like if the game in question has the same title, but is made by multiple companies, it will pick the first ROM and not load the rest. For example, Tetris was made by a number of companies (Elorg, Tengen, Bulletproof, etc), but the only one that gets loaded into the ROM listing is Tetris by Bulletproof (because in alphabetical order, Bulletproof comes first).

Has anybody had similar issues? If so, what's the work around? I have complete ROM sets and I would like to be able to browse through them with xbmc and this add-on, if possible

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-07-08

(2013-07-08, 00:11)bluestarCVO Wrote: Sounds very interesting, and much more efficient than what I am trying to do! I am going to look into Xpadder and try and integrate that into my setup. Got a link to a good Xpadder tutorial? Also, on another note, I was going to grab me one of those wireless Xbox controllers for the PC online. Would I have any problems usin g this to play the games on the emulators? Thanks!

I use a wireless 360 controer without problems in win7, albeit without xpadder - I just map the controller in each emulator. I close emulators with a button on mg remote via event ghost launching a bat file to kill all the emulators installed on my system.. works very well.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranceology3 - 2013-07-08

(2013-07-08, 00:11)bluestarCVO Wrote: Sounds very interesting, and much more efficient than what I am trying to do! I am going to look into Xpadder and try and integrate that into my setup. Got a link to a good Xpadder tutorial? Also, on another note, I was going to grab me one of those wireless Xbox controllers for the PC online. Would I have any problems usin g this to play the games on the emulators? Thanks!

I have never had one problem with Xbox wireless controller, on win7 or win8. Check the website for a tutorial. I think it costs money for the full version, like $10 or less I cant remember, but It's completely worth it. You can map each emulators button config to the controller, then use Xpadder for extra functionality, Like save states, exiting the emulators, etc... It takes a little bit of learning, but once you completely understand Xpadder it works Amazingly. PM me if u need help with xpadder, im very good with it.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dylanh724 - 2013-07-09

Was there ever a solution to loading games from the ROM collection browser on OpenELEC XBMC ? I know there have been several new releases and I am behind the news .... I know countless people were looking into why roms wouldnt boot.

THANK YOU! Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-07-09

dishwater63 Wrote:So I tested this add-on by loading up the entire NES ROM collection (based on the No-intro set), and while it looks like it grabbed most of the games correctly, I'm still missing a few games. It seems like if the game in question has the same title, but is made by multiple companies, it will pick the first ROM and not load the rest. For example, Tetris was made by a number of companies (Elorg, Tengen, Bulletproof, etc), but the only one that gets loaded into the ROM listing is Tetris by Bulletproof (because in alphabetical order, Bulletproof comes first).

Has anybody had similar issues? If so, what's the work around? I have complete ROM sets and I would like to be able to browse through them with xbmc and this add-on, if possible
This is known limitation of the current db and scrapers. There will be a new version that should be able to handle this some day but I can't promise when it will be done. (I somehow started to work on it but it will take some time until it is finished)

Only workaround that I know of is to add all the different versions of the games into one zip or 7z file and let RCB scrape this. RCB will then ask you which game to load when you want to launch it. But ofc it will only scrape information for the first game in the list.

dylanh724 Wrote:Was there ever a solution to loading games from the ROM collection browser on OpenELEC XBMC ? I know there have been several new releases and I am behind the news .... I know countless people were looking into why roms wouldnt boot.
I was not aware that there are general issues with launching games on openelec. I had in mind this only happens on Raspberry Pi. I guess there is still no solution for RPi, at least I did not read about it.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dishwater63 - 2013-07-09

(2013-07-09, 09:28)malte Wrote: This is known limitation of the current db and scrapers. There will be a new version that should be able to handle this some day but I can't promise when it will be done. (I somehow started to work on it but it will take some time until it is finished)

Only workaround that I know of is to add all the different versions of the games into one zip or 7z file and let RCB scrape this. RCB will then ask you which game to load when you want to launch it. But ofc it will only scrape information for the first game in the list.

Thanks for the response. Fortunately, there's only a handful of games that fall under this bizarre category, so for now, I'll zip them altogether and re-scrape accordingly.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-07-11

Just fyi: archive.vg started an indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to support their work on a new release 2.0 and to cover their current expenses. As I use archive.vg as a scraper source for quite a while I thought I should let you know. Here is the link in case you are interested to help out: link

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - toki5 - 2013-07-12

ok, i have 3 different bat files based off of daphne emulator games. cou,ld someone give me the steps to place all 3 games in to one place, no trying to place one a piece one by one. any help would be greatly appreciated. new years gave me something but i cant find it n the thread, im sorry.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - benlen10 - 2013-07-15

Very strange issue. I have been using RCB for quite awhile now but a few days ago my library shows up completely blank on startup with the ALL filter. the only way to fix this is to press C and clean the database which takes a fairly long time on my slow computer before RCB is usable. I am currently using the aeon skin and when I press the up button the menu does not come down so the only option is to Re- clean the database every time I open RCB which becomes quite frustrating after awhile. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-07-15

@toki5:
I don't fully understand what you are trying to achieve. Can you try to explain it more detailed?

@benlen10:
Never seen this. Can you show me a log file after this happened and after you did the clean db?

What happens if you press other buttons (up, down, left, right)? Sometimes the focus stucks on some hidden control and you need to go to another direction to get out of it.