Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - MofoJack - 2013-08-16

(2013-08-16, 16:03)Skipp2k Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 00:45)MofoJack Wrote: I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, I apologize.

The online scrapers work great, but I have a few ROM's where it has downloaded boxfront's that I would like to change. I have tried to "rescrape selected game" and choose "local artwork", "local nfo" and any combination of the two. I have even replaced the boxfront image in question (I'm on a Mac, and for me they reside in /users/admin/dropbox/rom/n64/artwork/boxfront/rom_name.jpg). I tried going into the nfo file and changed the URL for the incorrect image to the URL for the image I want. I left the local path alone as I replaced the image locally with the correct. However, it still shows the old image. I've deleted and re-added the game, even changed the scrapers to local, but no dice. Any ideas?

You have to rescrape the game and what I did was used best guess for the scrape. Try that and see what happens.

Thanks for the response. I tried to "rescrape selected game" and chose "automatic: guess matches". It didn't replace any of the artwork or info. The game in question is Super Mario 64, if that helps. When you use the default online scrapers, it chooses this for some reason:

http://thegamesdb.net/banners/boxart/original/front/16778-1.png

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-08-16

MofoJack Wrote:The online scrapers work great, but I have a few ROM's where it has downloaded boxfront's that I would like to change. I have tried to "rescrape selected game" and choose "local artwork", "local nfo" and any combination of the two. I have even replaced the boxfront image in question (I'm on a Mac, and for me they reside in /users/admin/dropbox/rom/n64/artwork/boxfront/rom_name.jpg). I tried going into the nfo file and changed the URL for the incorrect image to the URL for the image I want. I left the local path alone as I replaced the image locally with the correct. However, it still shows the old image. I've deleted and re-added the game, even changed the scrapers to local, but no dice. Any ideas?
The problem is that XBMC is caching the artwork. You can wait some days until XBMC refreshes its cache or manually cleanup the thumbs db or cache directories in the XBMC userdata folder. I did not really get into this topic but I guess it is the same for other artwork too (movies, tv shows, ...). So maybe you can search other areas of this forum for a better solution.

Skipp2k Wrote:So this is for malte, is it possible for you to add a Daphne/Laserdisc game platform to RCB which does the same like the Windows platform and also maybe a PC Games platform so that I don't have to use the Windows one.
I have to check this. It should be possible to use bat files for every type of platform, not only Windows. But I can't promise if I will look into it in current release or if this may become a feature of the new 3.0.0 version. Atm I try to invest all my free time in 3.0.0 development and only want to do serious bug fixes in current release. So, this is something between bug and featureSmile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - MofoJack - 2013-08-16

malte Wrote:The problem is that XBMC is caching the artwork. You can wait some days until XBMC refreshes its cache or manually cleanup the thumbs db or cache directories in the XBMC userdata folder. I did not really get into this topic but I guess it is the same for other artwork too (movies, tv shows, ...). So maybe you can search other areas of this forum for a better solution.

I figured it was a caching issue. In that case, if I want to manually cleanup, do I just chose the "clean up database" option from the RCB menu? Thanks!

(2013-08-16, 18:05)MofoJack Wrote:
malte Wrote:The problem is that XBMC is caching the artwork. You can wait some days until XBMC refreshes its cache or manually cleanup the thumbs db or cache directories in the XBMC userdata folder. I did not really get into this topic but I guess it is the same for other artwork too (movies, tv shows, ...). So maybe you can search other areas of this forum for a better solution.

I figured it was a caching issue. In that case, if I want to manually cleanup, do I just chose the "clean up database" option from the RCB menu? Thanks!

I answered my own question, that didn't do the trick. Any idea how long XBMC retains cached artwork?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Skipp2k - 2013-08-16

Thanks at the moment this works fine, it would be nice if I could have Daphne for platform name instead of windows...Smile

Why does Windows not ask for a emulator but Windows 3.1 and Dos does? Anyway can I change the code so that I can create my own Game platforms?

Anyway thanks for a great plugin malte, apart from Daphne all my other emulators work great.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gary9872 - 2013-08-17

Neat plugin thanks..

I'm trying to get it to work with advmame. The reasoning is that mame with gl is too slow and xmame on seems to have only oss sound support.

The problem is that advmame expects only the name of the game without a zip extension or a path..

advmame asteroids ==>> good

advmame /home/foobar/asteroids.zip ==>> bad

Any ideas...

Gary
thanks

Thanks..

Gary

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2013-08-17

(2013-08-16, 20:13)Skipp2k Wrote: Thanks at the moment this works fine, it would be nice if I could have Daphne for platform name instead of windows...Smile

Why does Windows not ask for a emulator but Windows 3.1 and Dos does? Anyway can I change the code so that I can create my own Game platforms?

Anyway thanks for a great plugin malte, apart from Daphne all my other emulators work great.

Ive found a old config.xml file and this is how I used to launch *.bat as ROM's. I now use a bat file as emulatorCmd and rom path is the actual iso

Quote: <RomCollection id="10" name="SEGA Saturn">
<emulatorCmd>explorer</emulatorCmd>
<emulatorParams>"%ROM%"</emulatorParams>
<romPath>E:\emulation\roms\saturn\*.bat</romPath>
<saveStatePath />

@phs989: The xbmcbuntu desktop has a terminal program available in the application menu called UXTerm.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - toki5 - 2013-08-17

I couldnt even get the windows method to work. i will try the offline mame method though. thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - {{INX}} - 2013-08-18

Windows 8 - 64
XBMC Frodo 12.2
Roms - Located on smb
Emulator - Located on smb
Artwork etc.- Scanned to smb

Today I have decided to give this add-on another go after shelving it a year ago. I have been playing with NES firstand the roms scanned fine with all artwork etc.. But for the life of me I couldn't get the it to launch the emulator as it just launched a cmd window and returned to Xbmc. Tonight I discovered the reason.

If I try the command line direct that was in the xbmc logfile and change the smb://Home-Server/etc. line to \\Home-Server\etc, the emulator now loads but the rom can't be found in the smb:// location. How can i change the games list to be \\Home-Server\etc from smb://?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gary9872 - 2013-08-19

(2013-08-17, 02:04)gary9872 Wrote: Neat plugin thanks..

I'm trying to get it to work with advmame. The reasoning is that mame with gl is too slow and xmame on seems to have only oss sound support.

The problem is that advmame expects only the name of the game without a zip extension or a path..

Any ideas...

Gary
thanks

Thanks..

Gary

Did some trial and error and made a script (for linux)
I have RCB pointing to this script as the advancemame executable.

OUTPUT=`basename $1 .zip` #strip zip extension
pidof xbmc.bin | xargs kill -STOP #running advmame and xbmc too slow so we pause xbmc
advmame $OUTPUT
pidof xbmc.bin | xargs kill -CONT # unpause xbmc

works for me, yours might die a horrible death..

Cheers,

Gary

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - cheesycrouton - 2013-08-19

I can't seem to figure out how to make RCB ignore articles like "The" when listing items.

For example, I would like "The Legend of Zelda" to be sorted like, "Legend of Zelda, The" in the "L" section, not the "T" section. I have this option set in XBMC, but it does not seem to take effect in RCB. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm using the Aeon MQ4 skin.

Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Haohmaru - 2013-08-19

I have managed to setup RCB the way I wanted with gens the Sega emulator. Everything is fine except that after exiting the game xbmc won't switch back to full-screen by itself.
How can I solve this? I'm on an Ubuntu minimal 12.10 installation with Xbmc 13 alpha 5 by the way.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2013-08-19

gary9872 Wrote:I'm trying to get it to work with advmame. The reasoning is that mame with gl is too slow and xmame on seems to have only oss sound support.

You could just use %ROMNAME% instead of %ROM% in Emu Params

{{INX}} Wrote:If I try the command line direct that was in the xbmc logfile and change the smb://Home-Server/etc. line to \\Home-Server\etc, the emulator now loads but the rom can't be found in the smb:// location. How can i change the games list to be \\Home-Server\etc from smb://?
You can only change this manually in config.xml. But you also have to reimport your games with the new path or you could edit the path name directly in the database if you know SQL.

cheesycrouton Wrote:For example, I would like "The Legend of Zelda" to be sorted like, "Legend of Zelda, The" in the "L" section, not the "T" section. I have this option set in XBMC, but it does not seem to take effect in RCB. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm using the Aeon MQ4 skin.
Sorry, this is not yet implemented.

Haohmaru Wrote:I have managed to setup RCB the way I wanted with gens the Sega emulator. Everything is fine except that after exiting the game xbmc won't switch back to full-screen by itself.
How can I solve this? I'm on an Ubuntu minimal 12.10 installation with Xbmc 13 alpha 5 by the way.
There are settings for a delay before and after launching games. Maybe it helps to increase the post launch delay.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Haohmaru - 2013-08-19

Thanks but sadly the delay didn't had any effect. Any other possible solutions? :-)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - {{INX}} - 2013-08-19

(2013-08-19, 20:12)malte Wrote:
{{INX}} Wrote:If I try the command line direct that was in the xbmc logfile and change the smb://Home-Server/etc. line to \\Home-Server\etc, the emulator now loads but the rom can't be found in the smb:// location. How can i change the games list to be \\Home-Server\etc from smb://?
You can only change this manually in config.xml. But you also have to reimport your games with the new path or you could edit the path name directly in the database if you know SQL.

Perfect! I eddited the config.xml, deleted the database amd let it rescan the games back in and its works perfect.

Also is it possible to hide the mouse when an emulator loads?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - phyzical - 2013-08-20

hey, love the addon.

i was just wondering if there is a way to get the emulators to output fullscreen to a secondary display instead of the primary display, as my xbmc runs to the secondary display?

i think this is more of an issue of changing settings per emulator but i cannot find anything anywhere?

using snes9x and project 64.

any links to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

edit: solved it myself lol, wasn't has hard as i thought simply just manual launch project 64/ snes9x then drag to secondary screen, when you load up the emulator it will full screen to the display >.> as it saves the last location to the emulators ini files. (not sure if i should just delete it as i could not find this at all anywhere).