Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Desisuperman - 2014-01-10

Will try mednafen. Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-01-13

Sorry for not responding for a while. I will try to get back to all unanswered questions from the last weeks. If I overlooked something please remind me.

This is only the first part of answers. More will follow in the next days...

faroukzidane Wrote:Secondly, I've another issue that really happens to me many times. Many times when I open RCB, the info and fanarts don't appear. However, when I press Down two times (as I'm going to scroll by letters and go back again) the info and fanarts appear.

XBMC Skin: Aeon Nox
I guess this is skin related. Did you try another one?

Scratch Wrote:Hello everyone, I have searched and searched but have not found good instructions on how to manually add artwork for Mame games. Otherwise fantastic add on.
A description how to add mame games can be found here. It also explains how to add artwork for these games. Once you have gone through these steps you can add more artwork to your folders and just rescrape the collection again.

faroukzidane Wrote:Also, when I open a game and there's a music playing on the background of XBMC, the game launches and the music is still running on XBMC. Is there an option like "Stop media on launching emulators" ?
Sorry, not yet. It is on my list for a later release.

Komerad Wrote:Ok so when i install this addon (superrepo) I start it, select yes to create a config file, select to scrape online, select platform(snes) and then for the emulator path i get directed to the superrepo url...

Eh whats next?
I guess you have to add your local drives and/or network shares via XBMC file manager first.

kidllotus Wrote:I'm having the strangest issue with RCB. When launching a ROM (using SNES 9x for example) I get an "Invalid ZIP archive" error. Here's the info that I have and the troubleshooting steps I've followed.

5. I have mounted the fileshare locally to R: and executed the following from cmd -> c:\Docs\Emulation\SNES 9x>snes9x.exe "R:\SNES Roms\Aladdin.zip" and it loaded fine.
Have you also tried to import your roms from R: and launch it from RCB again? Maybe this is an issue with the smb path.

nakaroto24 Wrote:I'm running RCB on windows. I have MAME running pretty good. But one thing is killing me. I used the offline scraping method and the descriptions look pretty good.
The problem is that the "boxfront" art is also my "fanart". The nfo files point to two different folders "boxfront" and "fanart". The "fanart" is being ignored. Only MAME is doing this.
You are right. This is because of the Image placing options in RCB. It looks like I just forgot to add fanart to the default mame config. You can try to play with it yourself in config.xml. The mame views usually are "gameinfomamemarquee" and "gameinfomamecabinet".

ElTerrible Wrote:I tried to add my Windows games as shown in this link: https://code.google.com/p/romcollectionb...aloneGames

The first result was that when I opened the RCB it showed nothing but the menu field and the background. I couldn't use any filters also.
The C button still worked so I deleted the Windows Collection and after restarting the addon everything was Ok again.
I tried to add the Windows Games again and the result was that everything was gone. I couldn't start the addon anymore. After reinstalling and rebuilding my games database I tried to add the Windows games again and I can use filters but I cannot see any of my games. When I tell it to scrape the details it does nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Sounds like you screwed up your config and/or db during the process. You could delete your config.xml and MyGames.db to start from scratch. If you have a bigger collection and already spent some time to set everything up you could upload your files somewhre and I could try to fix it for you.

Komerad Wrote:How to get this working over nfs?
XBMC acceses nfs shares.
Romcollectionbrowser can browse to the share and see the folders.

I'm using the latest version 2.0.11
also using the script.
I have added the shares as locations in xbmc.
I did notice that when having the nfs share, in the rom source field the source is scrolling seperated with a | . This is not happening anywhere else. (local source nor smb, even tho smb doesn't work neither.
As you can see at the log after i changed source from nfs to smb that i still get nfs entry's.
The log is also bloated with more entry's that don't make sense anymore. There seems to be some data sticking in a file that gets queried when I try to import just about anything.
You are right, nfs could be a problem. So far I only tested with smb and even this could cause problems in some situations (but it should work in the most). Not sure where the remaining nfs entries come from but RCB only checks the config.xml file during import. Maybe you left one nfs entry in there?

Komerad Wrote:And as I continue to torture myself this is my next problem :
When trying to load a rom it just pops back. Games don't start.

So nfs is a problem!
I saw that you also installed your emulators on a network share. Maybe this causes your issues.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - funtasticguy - 2014-01-14

I would like to thank the developer who created this plugin. For the last 3 years, I had been using GameEx and was happy with it. Recently, however, I upgraded my PC and I decided that I wanted to try something that worked within XBMC (for less overhead and a more seamless experience). Although at times it was tricky to get this to work just right, persistence paid off and everything works just right and more importantly, it looks much fancier than what I had with GameEx. It really looks impressive!

My only suggestion would be to add the only feature that I'm currently missing from GameEx (everything else RCB has exceeded GameEx). In GameEx, I was able to assign a button from my gamepad that would tell the emulator to close and return back to GameEx. For example, in one emulator, I could assign the button to close with an ESC command. In another emulator, I could assign the same button to close with an ALT + F4 command. Currently, there is no easy way to exit the emulator if I'm strictly using a gamepad. My current solution is Xpadder but I still like the feature within GameEX since I could assign different exit commands to the same button depending upon the emulator. Consequently, this is a feature that you might want to look into supporting in a future release.

Other than that, keep up the excellent work and thanks again for making this wonderful addon! XBMC is so much better because of it!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2014-01-14

I use eventghost to run a batch file to kill any running emulators on a remote keypress, you could easily change it to do it on a joypad button press. Only problem with this is that some emulators don't save any changes if they aren't closed cleanly, but this isn't really a issue because once their setup I never touch them. If you wanted to take it one step further you could use autohotkey instead of a batch file to send a certain keypress or keypress combo depending on which emulator is running, but I prefer using taskkill as it works even if a emulator has frozen/crashed.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-01-14

Ok, next round. I hope I have everything covered. Remind me if I have lost somebody.

paltry Wrote:I have been able to import rom collections (in order: zsnes, windows, mame) with all my roms working.

One issue I noticed is that the zsnes savestates params will be automatically copied to any new collections. That is, these savestates params will also appear in the windows and mane collections.
Damn, you are right. Thanks for reporting.

paltry Wrote:Another issue is that after I imported the zsnes through online scrapers, I cannot edit (and create) the offline scraper for the purpose of updating those roms without online artworks. The "Edit Offline Scraper -> Add scraper" simply doesn't work.
I could reproduce this. I will see if I can fix this. But what are you trying to achieve? You coulad also use the local nfo scraper without the need to create an extra offline scraper for it.

bungie240 Wrote:Hi folks, I'm new to RCB and having a couple of problem...I cannot seem to find solo mode in the settings, i'm running the latest stable vesion of RCB!

I'm not using roms but my PC games collection, I've managed to import the games with covers and that worked fine. The other problem is that when a game starts I get a cmd window the game opens up full screen but then xbmc pops up on the screen. Would like to just click on the game and play in full screen, when i exit the game i would like the system to default back into xbmc....any help appreciated.
You get this option in addon settings. Just go to the list of addons and highlight RCB. Then press "C" on the keyboard or "Menu" on the remote and you should see the context menu. Choose "Addon settings" (or similar).

You could also access these settings from inside RCB. It should be at the end of RCBs inner context menu.

C-Fu Wrote:I've been trying so hard to scrape my SNES roms and figuring out for the past hour or so as to why on Earth the scraped rom infos are sometimes ok and sometimes the whole roms' infos went missing, save for one or two roms.

But then sometimes it works, and all roms are fully scraped, all offline.

Then I realised, if I click on ROM COLLECTION BROWSER on XBMC with my mouse, the bug happens. But if I use keyboard to navigate and press Enter, all roms are fully scraped.
Everything is working here with the mouse. Are you sure you did not choose different scraper settings by accident? Can you show me a log file after a broken import?

Powerhouse Wrote:I've encountered some issues with the latest RCB (2.0.10), which I thought I would share. I was just trying to add some Mame Roms that are stored on my Network share. Well it turns out there are some things that need to be done to your system before this will work in RCB.

1. I first tried to run Mame64 (on a Windows 7 64bit system), but the graphics were messed up. Turns out I needed to download and install Microsoft DirectX software on my system first. After this Mame64 worked great.

2. In RCB, I went through setting up the Config file, and at the end, it gave me the standard, Your Config.xml sucks, try again. After about 2 days of trying to figure out what the problem is (Mame64 would launch and a small DOS box would show for a brief second, then I'm back in RCB). Turns out, RCB is sending a DOS code, that references the network share as SMB, which doesn't work from DOS. After reading forever on this issue, there are some Registry settings you can change in XP (never found the Win7 ones), that would fix this issue in DOS. But I found a solution that you need to add the Network Share to your system (Map a Network drive). Then add the Mame64.exe in the first part of the Config through the new Network Drive letter (in my case, I added the drive as the letter Z: ), then when prompted for the ROMS location (and the Artwork files), I used the SMB drive information. Now, why you might ask did I not use the Z: drive for all of it, well, I did try, and got the Your Config.xml sucks error again. So but having the Mame64.exe setup via the Z: drive (Z:\Games\Mame), and the ROMS and Artwork setup via SMB share (\\Servername\Games\Mame). This fixed the first Mame issue in RCB.

3. The final issue was having Mame not launch the ROMS, and again return me back to RCB. To Fix this, I needed to edit the Config.xml with the (-inipath smb://Servername/Games/Mame %ROMS%). Now the ROMS would load into Mame using RCB.

4. Final problem, No sound from Mame64, when launched using RCB (works fine if launched using Mame64.exe outside of XBMC). Needed to turn on the RCB setting to kill XBMC, launch Mame64, then when you exit the game, XBMC is launched again, and it takes you back into the Games section of RCB. DONE, we now have a working Mame setup using RCB.

5. Only issue I have left is, trying to get my XBOX360 controller, to Exit Mame, so I can return back to XBMC. I have tried using the UI_Cancel feature in Mame (which should work), but I can't assign they keys permanently in Mame (I can set it up per game, but when I exit the game, the settings aren't saved in Mame). Still looking for a solution for this, but everything I've tried doesn't work. So any help on this would be wonderful (hint hint).

Hope this helps someone, and doesn't get lost in the nearly 400 page thread.
Thanks for reporting. Some of your issues are already covered in the FAQ but I will try to add the missing ones.

funtasticguy Wrote:My only suggestion would be to add the only feature that I'm currently missing from GameEx (everything else RCB has exceeded GameEx). In GameEx, I was able to assign a button from my gamepad that would tell the emulator to close and return back to GameEx. For example, in one emulator, I could assign the button to close with an ESC command. In another emulator, I could assign the same button to close with an ALT + F4 command. Currently, there is no easy way to exit the emulator if I'm strictly using a gamepad. My current solution is Xpadder but I still like the feature within GameEX since I could assign different exit commands to the same button depending upon the emulator. Consequently, this is a feature that you might want to look into supporting in a future release.
Unfortunately I can't do this from RCB. GameEx is a Windows application and has much better access to system resources. RCB is just an XBMC addon and somehow limited to what XBMC has to offer. Also in solo mode XBMC/RCB won't even run while you are running your emulators. I am sorry but the only solution is to get along with external programs like XPadder or eventghost.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Sourcesys - 2014-01-17

Hey, im new to the RCB thing, can someone explain me why my game isnt opening when i start it via RBC? Its just opening the Dolphin Emulator Windows and nothing happens

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bungie240 - 2014-01-17

(2014-01-17, 17:09)Sourcesys Wrote: Hey, im new to the RCB thing, can someone explain me why my game isnt opening when i start it via RBC? Its just opening the Dolphin Emulator Windows and nothing happens

I would also like to know how to start a wii iso with dolphin in RCB.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tonkyhonkin - 2014-01-17

I use RCB for all my emulators too but for me the wiki for Advanced Launcher was a huge help for setting up the correct arguments for each emulator and configuring them for xbmc. Here is about example for the Dolphin emulator

http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=Dolphin#Windows

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2014-01-17

config.xml for dolphin should look something like

<emulatorCmd>C:\emulation\emulators\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe</emulatorCmd>
<emulatorParams>/b /e "%ROM%"</emulatorParams>

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Sourcesys - 2014-01-18

(2014-01-17, 23:44)teeedubb Wrote: config.xml for dolphin should look something like

<emulatorCmd>C:\emulation\emulators\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe</emulatorCmd>
<emulatorParams>/b /e "%ROM%"</emulatorParams>

Works, Nice one.

Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2014-01-18

hey malte,

Any chance to update the MobyGames scraper ? They changed their web to the old state again.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - tranfa - 2014-01-19

(2010-09-26, 15:45)spyvsspy Wrote: Hi,

here are the promised synopsis files for some old home systems and the arcade machine emulator mame, for those who are interested in. I converted them from some well known Game Databases. I noticed that in the header.

mame_rom_synopsis_for_xbmc_rcb_addon.zip - 2.4 Mb

c64_rom_synopsis_for_xbmc_rcb_addon.zip - 2.1 Mb

amiga_rom_synopsis_for_xbmc_rcb_addon.zip - 7.9 Mb

amiga_rom_synopsis_big_for_xbmc_rcb_addon.zip - 19.5 Mb

The associated parserConfig.xml for the synopsis files is included.
The large Amiga synopsis contains all extra data, like instructions, walkthroughs and other stuff, but it's quite big for the parser, so I have generate a smaller one, which contains a hint to a local uri to the extra content.

I tested the import of the files in RCB and all these consoles working well on my ubuntu system. If you interested in my config.xml for RCB here it is:
config.xml.zip - 3.1 Kb

In future I will try the new xml format. I'm curious about it and also of the new scraper functionality.

Have fun!

p.s. one question:
I have problem with Non-ASCII characters, e.g. with the game name, programmer or developer properties, with RCB. Some of C64 or Amiga contains French or german special chars. Reading descriptions with Non-ASCII chars are working well. Do you think you will support Non-ASCII strings, like Charsets ISO-8859-15, for the properties too?

Here are the error message I get, if the rcb parser tries to read a developer string like Brøderbund:
Code:
RCB_WARNING: Parser complains about: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf8' in position 106: ordinal not in range(128)
RCB_ERROR: unhandled Error in onAction: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf8' in position 20: ordinal not in range(128)

Hi everyone, I'm looking to scrape my collection of C64 roms (pretty much similar to the Gamebase64 DB) withot having to rename all the files...

The attached (albeit quite old...) seems the right way, scraping offline with the Gamebase64 synopsis....but the links aren't working...

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ragedogg69 - 2014-01-19

So twice now I have had my collection disappear just by running the Add-On. I assume it gets corrupted somehow. The only way to get it back is to delete mygames.db and re import all my games. A quick search of the thread did not give me any similar posts.

Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=112494

mygames.db: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sNfUkwGFEHZFpDZVhEb1Y0YlU/edit?usp=sharing

Any ideas?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Daeymon - 2014-01-21

Hey Malte, you should check this thread out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2578612

We've got RCB working on Android and we love it!!!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Angelscry - 2014-01-22

(2014-01-19, 02:26)ragedogg69 Wrote: So twice now I have had my collection disappear just by running the Add-On. I assume it gets corrupted somehow. The only way to get it back is to delete mygames.db and re import all my games. A quick search of the thread did not give me any similar posts.

Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=112494

mygames.db: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sNfUkwGFEHZFpDZVhEb1Y0YlU/edit?usp=sharing

Any ideas?
I think some user report the same problem several months ago. The same problem also occurs with Advanced Launcher... After a certain random time, data are sudendly wiped/corrupted. As RCB and Advanced Launcher are the rare add-on that allows to manage content from XBMC GUI, they are the most touched by this problem. There is a long time ago A try to found out the cause... but I'm still not able to found it. There is no related error message into the xbmc.log file. And as it is a random error... it is quite difficult to identify and fix it.