Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - acandido - 2014-07-20

For anyone running nightlies and unable to launch RCB, the following worked for me:

On line 72 of default.py change
Code:
if param == '' or param == 'script.games.rom.collection.browser':
to
Code:
if param == '' or param == 'script.games.rom.collection.browser' or param == 'default.py':

It looks like default.py is passed as the param from xbmc now, not sure exactly what piece of new code changed this and also not sure what my little hack will affect as I'm not a developer. Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - versus - 2014-07-21

(2014-07-20, 22:37)acandido Wrote: For anyone running nightlies and unable to launch RCB, the following worked for me:

On line 72 of default.py change
Code:
if param == '' or param == 'script.games.rom.collection.browser':
to
Code:
if param == '' or param == 'script.games.rom.collection.browser' or param == 'default.py':

It looks like default.py is passed as the param from xbmc now, not sure exactly what piece of new code changed this and also not sure what my little hack will affect as I'm not a developer. Smile

Nice finding. It works now. Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bardock - 2014-07-24

Hi everyone

can someone please tell me how to get the widget workin? I m using gotham with confluence mod from mudislander as the skin.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trnzaddict - 2014-07-27

Malte, is there a way to have a default fanart for each system? Like I have high definition fanart pictures of game consoles, and when I am browsing say, Game Gear, I just want to have this fan art of gamegear in the background, for every game in that rom collection, WITHOUT making a copy of the fanart and naming it the same as all my roms for that collection.

I tried putting the picture in the fan art folder for game gear and named it default.jpg, but it doesn't work.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Bedwyr - 2014-07-28

(2014-07-19, 21:20)Bedwyr Wrote: I'm a little confused. Is there no way to manually import and link specific games with specific artwork? If I can't do that, how should I go about troubleshooting missing games and artwork? Note that I've renamed everything according to standard HyperLaunch naming convention, so artwork, games, and videos have the exact same name already. I know that there is some missing material, but RCB is missing a large number of things.

Log below:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=249914

Any response to this? I'd like to get some advice about how to proceed.

If it helps I can give an example of one missing game: Actraiser 2.

filename: ActRaiser 2 (USA).smc
nfo filename: ActRaiser 2 (USA).nfo (which I made myself)
Box art filename: ActRaiser 2 (USA).png
Fan art filename: ActRaiser 2 (USA).jpg
Video filename: ActRaiser 2 (USA).mp4

The scraper is finding other data correctly so the file structure appears to be correct.

Initial import settings: All games, Interactive: Select Matches, using a single file (downloaded the SNES.txt with parser file from here).
- Strangely the matches were not interactive. I got the exact same results using automatic: accuracy.

import settings second run: SNES, local nfo, local artwork. I earlier created an nfo file copied from the original Actraiser game which was found correctly, editing the appropriate data.

import settings third run: SNES, gamesdb, local nfo.

In no case did RCB find the game.

Questions:
- Can I force RCB to "find" specific games?
- What must I do to correctly import a game that's missing?
- In all the log files I collected, it's very hard to figure out what the scraping process is missing as I'm looking through about 1600 warnings that usually have to do with games in the database file but that I don't actually have.
- There are also the negative returns where the database file has multiple CRCs. Is it entirely dependent on a CRC check from the database file? If so, shouldn't I have the power to force a match purely on name only?
- What CRC value should I be validating is incorrect if this is the problem? I can get really long MD5 and SHA hash values for a file, but none match what's in the database file, even partially. Are rom CRCs a partial form of either or some kind of third CRC value?

I believe I've done my best to do my due diligence in checking, re-checking, and troubleshooting things. I've also tried to ask very specific leading questions that will hopefully show where I am and where I'm stuck. I'm not asking for a lot, just further information so I can continue figuring out what I'm doing incorrectly.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Monkee - 2014-07-30

(2014-07-15, 10:26)malte Wrote:
Monkee Wrote:Any chance we could get an option for a "main menu" which separates each system/consoles in the future (like Advanced Launcher)?
This is one of the most requested features in the past months. So I am quite sure it will happen. Can't promise any dates though.

Thanks Malte! One last question: which scrapers do you recommend for best results?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Catalyst - 2014-08-04

Hey man, is there any way I could get RCB to launch shortcuts for my PS2 games like it does with PC games, instead of RCB trying to open them through an emulator? I have shortcuts set up for each of my PS2 games that tell PCSX2 which settings and plugins to use when they're clicked. They look like this --

"C:\Program Files (x86)\pcsx2-1.2.1\pcsx2-r5875.exe" "C:\Users\Joseph\Documents\Games\PS2\Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Program Files (x86)\pcsx2-1.2.1\GameConfigs\GTA SA-inis"

The shortcuts themselves work perfectly, but not when RCB tries to open them with an emulator.

I tried using a blank emulator param and a dummy exe (seperately and together) with no luck.

I've also tried launching the isos using %GAMECMD% as the param and with this as the command --

--cfgpath="C:\Program Files (x86)\pcsx2-1.2.1\GameConfigs\GTA SA-inis"

but PCSX2 doesn't recognize the path as part of the command.

Aside from putting my PS2 games in with my Windows games, what can I do? I hope all that makes sense. I'm sure there is something I'm missing. Thanks a million for your time.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2014-08-04

Try using explorer.exe as the emulator.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bubblesnout - 2014-08-04

Is there any way to create a shortcut/favourite that opens RCB to a predefined filter?

My main reason for asking: I'd like to add submenu items to the 'Games' menu on my home screen (Aeon MQ5 skin) for each console I have games for. It's kind of annoying needing to navigate to the filter menu and scroll around when you have a lot of games in quite a few different consoles.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-08-04

Tomkun Wrote:It seems that "/" will not work as a delimiter? Could I add that as a feature request?
I added this to my list. Should be possible.

evillevi Wrote:Great add-on. Can someone explain to me how I use the local artwork scraper to update artwork added outside XBMC? I have the artwork folder configured for, say, Sega Genesis. Some box front images are not correct so I manually want to update them by putting them in the right folder. I select a rom in RCB, choose rescrape selected game, and use the local artwork scraper. The image is not updated. I also tried enabling the option 'rescrape already imported games'.
If you just want to update existing artwork you don't need to rescrape anything. Just make sure that your new artwork file has the same name as the old one. It may take some days until XBMC updates its cache and recognizes the new artwork.

If you put new artwork files to your already scraped games, make sure that your new artwork files have the same naming scheme as the rom files and the other artwork files. Then rescrape the game and use the "local artwork" scraper as the only scraper.

Bedwyr Wrote:I'm a little confused. Is there no way to manually import and link specific games with specific artwork? If I can't do that, how should I go about troubleshooting missing games and artwork? Note that I've renamed everything according to standard HyperLaunch naming convention, so artwork, games, and videos have the exact same name already. I know that there is some missing material, but RCB is missing a large number of things.
There are several methods to do this but I am afraid it is quite easy to mess it up.

1. If you already have an nfo file for this game it should be ok to name this file "ActRaiser 2 (USA).nfo" and make sure you put it to the correct location. Then do a game import with the "local nfo" scraper. To make it more easy and save some time in your test scenario you could also change the rom file mask to "Act*.smc".

2. If you use offline game descriptions you could do the game matching via crc value or via game name. If you want to use crc values you can find out the correct crc values in xbmc.log. An example for your ActRaiser game looks like this:
Code:
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: gamename (file): ActRaiser 2 (USA).smc
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: gamename (friendly): ActRaiser 2 (USA)
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: checkRomfileIsMultirom. gamename = ActRaiser 2 (USA), lastgamename = ActRaiser (USA)
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: searchGameByCRC = True
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: crc for current file: DE8C6CD5
14:15:20 T:10804  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Adding crc to crcOfFirstGame-dict: actraiser 2 (usa): de8c6cd5
So your crc value is "de8c6cd5". Just add this to the field crc in your game description and you should be fine.

3. If you want to use the rom name instead of the crc value you can just add the name "ActRaiser 2 (USA)" as crc value in your description file. In this case make sure that you enable "Use filename as crc" in the "Edit Offline Scraper" dialog.

About troubleshooting missing games, infos or artwork you should check out the Missing Info Filter. This will show you which games are missing specific infos or artwork files.
If you want to know which games are missing at all have a look at the file "scrapeResult_missingDesc.txt" in RCBs userdata directory.

acandido Wrote:For anyone running nightlies and unable to launch RCB, the following worked for me
Thanks for the hint. I won't add this to RCB now as I don't know if this change will stay in future releases of XBMC. I usually start adopting new XBMC features when they start with the beta releases.

bardock Wrote:can someone please tell me how to get the widget workin? I m using gotham with confluence mod from mudislander as the skin.
I don't know this mod. Does it support RCBs widgets? The skinners have to add support for it, it won't work out of the box with every skin. Standard Confluence does not have this option.

trnzaddict Wrote:Malte, is there a way to have a default fanart for each system? Like I have high definition fanart pictures of game consoles, and when I am browsing say, Game Gear, I just want to have this fan art of gamegear in the background, for every game in that rom collection, WITHOUT making a copy of the fanart and naming it the same as all my roms for that collection.
No, I don't think this is possible right now. There has been an option to do this but IIRC I removed it a while back. This might be added again somehow when I start to work on a console dashboard page.

Monkee Wrote:One last question: which scrapers do you recommend for best results?
thegamesdb, mobygames and giantbomb are the only online scrapers that are working atm. Which one you use is personal preference I guess.

bubblesnout Wrote:Is there any way to create a shortcut/favourite that opens RCB to a predefined filter?

My main reason for asking: I'd like to add submenu items to the 'Games' menu on my home screen (Aeon MQ5 skin) for each console I have games for. It's kind of annoying needing to navigate to the filter menu and scroll around when you have a lot of games in quite a few different consoles.
Not yet. It will be added with one of the next releases but I can't promise any dates.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - bubblesnout - 2014-08-04

Awesome, glad to hear its something that's being looked in to. Look forward to seeing it make a release Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - willu - 2014-08-04

Hello everyone. I have a "problem". Everything runs smooth on my xbmc 12.3 frodo (Linux mint 17) and there is only one thing that makes me sad. When i close te emulator (zsnes) I can see a window border around xbmc for a second (or shorter). It is in fullscreen mode when it starts, and seems to be also when i quit the game. But i like to keep everything cleen so i ask if there is anything i can do about it?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dEaFTOLiGhT - 2014-08-04

Hi, everyone. I'm having an issue with database re-builds, re-importing, etc. I did a lot of cleanup, and changed some folder structures and locations, and made sure everything is correct in the XML, but regardless of how many times I re-import or re-scrape local artwork, it doesn't always show. It's odd, because I can see the art when I change the views sometimes. For example, I have no idea why RCB is showing the front of the box in thumbs, but then in the "Info 2" view and in the info page view (accessed by pressing 'i'), the corresponding art is not there.

I know that the nfo files still point to old artwork paths, so maybe this is the issue? Is there any way for RCB to go through the NFO files it already created and change these paths? It's strange, because although the NFO points to an old artwork path, it still shows the artwork in different veiws.

This will be an issue when trying to transfer my collection to a new computer. I may have the collection on a different drive letter in my HTPC when I build that, and I want all the time I have spent to get this organized to make it easy for me to transfer my collection.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Catalyst - 2014-08-05

(2014-08-04, 05:21)teeedubb Wrote: Try using explorer.exe as the emulator.

Worked like a charm. Thank you!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Tomkun - 2014-08-05

(2014-08-04, 08:21)malte Wrote:
Tomkun Wrote:It seems that "/" will not work as a delimiter? Could I add that as a feature request?
I added this to my list. Should be possible.

Excellent, thanks. That will remove one step from the process.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I am getting this error when trying to scrape with a new scraper I have created. I don't know if it's an error on my part, or possibly a bug?

Code:
17:32:19 T:1516  NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: an error occured while adding game
17:32:19 T:1516  NOTICE: RCB_WARNING: Error: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

The parser I am working on is for MAME's history.dat available here.

Here is the parser so far:

Code:
<parserConfig>
        <GameGrammar type="multiline">
                <SkippableContent skipTo="LineStart$info="></SkippableContent>
                <SkippableContent>$info=</SkippableContent>
                <crc skipTo=","></crc>
                <SkippableContent restOfLine="true"></SkippableContent>        
                <SkippableContent>$bio</SkippableContent>
                <Description skipTo="$end"></Description>
                <SkippableContent restOfLine="true"></SkippableContent>        
        </GameGrammar>
</parserConfig>

Here is a sample entry from history.dat:

Code:
$info=88games,
$bio

'88 Games (c) 1988 Konami Industry Company, Limited.

Export release. Game developed in Japan by Konami. For more information, please see the original Japanese release entry: "Hyper Sports Special [Model GX861]".

- TECHNICAL -

Game ID : GX861
Main Board Number : PWB351171A
Rom Board Number : PWB350782
Prom Stickers : A0xx

- TRIVIA -

'88 Games was released in July 1988.

- SERIES -

1. Track & Field [Model GX361] (1983, ARC)
2. Hyper Sports [Model GX330] (1984, ARC)
3. '88 Games [Model GX861] (1988, ARC)
4. Hyper Athlete [Model GV021] (1996, ARC)
5. Nagano Winter Olympics '98 [Model GX720] (1998, ARC)
6. International Track & Field 2000 (2000, PS)
7. International Track & Field Summer Games (2000, N64)
8. New International Track & Field (2008, DS)

- SOURCES -

Edit this entry: http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=88-games-model-gx861&page=detail&id=1&o=2

Game's ROM.
Game's picture.

$end

After some testing, I suspect it's due to the '=' sign, but can't be sure.

Thanks as always.