Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - skarpathio - 2014-08-19

Hi guys,

Im in need of some help with this add on. Be patient with me as Im not tech savvy at all and this is the first time i've used anything android related.

Im running Gotham on an MX2 dual core.

I have issues with empty repositories. Ive tried force refresh etc but none of this works and i've given up on adding addons this way. All my add ons are installed via USB on zip file.

I downloaded the script version yesterday but when i enabled it and tried to run it I got the following error:

"unhandled exception occurred during the execution of RCB:
'None' type object is iterable
See XBMC log for details."

What am I doing wrong. Please help.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - versus - 2014-08-19

(2014-08-17, 18:38)Kirknnc Wrote: I just updated to Kodi am not sure if this is an issue with RCB or not. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues setting RCB up as a custom option on their home menu. It works when going through Add-ons and selecting it but when I try to access it through a custom menu option, Kodi doesn't do anything.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70115&pid=1756322#pid1756322

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-08-26

Sorry for the bad support these days. Here are some answers to the requests of the last weeks.

willu Wrote:Hello everyone. I have a "problem". Everything runs smooth on my xbmc 12.3 frodo (Linux mint 17) and there is only one thing that makes me sad. When i close te emulator (zsnes) I can see a window border around xbmc for a second (or shorter). It is in fullscreen mode when it starts, and seems to be also when i quit the game. But i like to keep everything cleen so i ask if there is anything i can do about it?
Sorry, no idea. If you don't mind running unstable builds you could check out Retroplayer.

dEaFTOLiGhT Wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm having an issue with database re-builds, re-importing, etc. I did a lot of cleanup, and changed some folder structures and locations, and made sure everything is correct in the XML, but regardless of how many times I re-import or re-scrape local artwork, it doesn't always show. It's odd, because I can see the art when I change the views sometimes. For example, I have no idea why RCB is showing the front of the box in thumbs, but then in the "Info 2" view and in the info page view (accessed by pressing 'i'), the corresponding art is not there.

I know that the nfo files still point to old artwork paths, so maybe this is the issue? Is there any way for RCB to go through the NFO files it already created and change these paths? It's strange, because although the NFO points to an old artwork path, it still shows the artwork in different veiws.

This will be an issue when trying to transfer my collection to a new computer. I may have the collection on a different drive letter in my HTPC when I build that, and I want all the time I have spent to get this organized to make it easy for me to transfer my collection.
The nfo files only hold a reference to the path where it downloaded and stored the artwork. It is not used at runtime. Only reference to your artwork is inside RCBs database. If your artwork is shown in one view but not in the other this might be a skin problem or there is something wrong with artwork types (either in your configuration or your expectation which artwork should be shown in which place). Maybe this article helps you understanding what artwork should be shown in what place.

Another issue with artwork might be XBMCs caching of artwork files. If you make changes to your artwork files (e.g. replace a file with the same name at the same location) XBMC will take some time (maybe several days) until these changes show up in the UI.

If you still have issues with your artwork please let me know. With some more information (especially log files) we might be able to find out what is going on.

Tomkun Wrote:Sorry to keep bothering you, but I am getting this error when trying to scrape with a new scraper I have created. I don't know if it's an error on my part, or possibly a bug?
I have to test this on my own, had no time to do it yet. The = should be ok. But I am not sure if the "LineStart$info=" works together. Maybe you have to split it up. I hope I will find some time to test this on my own in the next days.

Daeymon Wrote:Strange bug which I've had for many versions now. Has appeared on multiple skins, and happens on both the version I'm running on my PC and the version I'm running on Android. Basically RCB loads, and shows all the games like normal. Then within 15-60 seconds, all the boxart will be replaced with the default XBMC image and all the game details will blank out to the defaults. No games will be selectable. To resolve it I just have to make a selection on the Filters and the list is refreshed. It never happens twice in the same instance and always happens within 15-60 seconds of RCB loading. Also doesn't always happen. Any ideas? Quite a weird one.
Whoo. Never heard of this one. Sounds very strange to me. Are you using any special XBMC build? What skin are you using?

Tomkun Wrote:1) When ROMLister outputs XML it repeats the
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
twice, which causes the scraper to fail. In fact, if that is written anywhere other than the first line, it will fail. I don't know if this is an RCB or ROMLister bug, or if it's even allowed in the XML specifications.
This is a ROMLister bug. Multiple xml declarations are not allowed in one file.

Tomkun Wrote:2) Some ROMs have their developed listed as <unknown>, like so:
Code:
<developer><unknown></developer>
This also causes the scraper to fail as I assume it's reading everything between the <> as a tag. Again, I don't know if this is allowed in XML specifications, so I don't know if it's a ROMlister bug or and RCB one.
Also not allowed in xml specification. It should be written like this: <developer>&lt;unknown&gt;</developer>

ErAzOr2k Wrote:I get this errwor, when trying to start a ROM with Retroplayer:
Code:
15:22:27 T:140587785230080  NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error handling compressed file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'smb://xxx/Emulation/Roms/No-Intro/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/2020 Super Baseball (USA).zip'
Why does it say No such file or directory ?
Maybe there is an error with handling smb pathes in my (un)zip code. But I guess Retroplayer should be able to handle zip files. As a workaround you could try to deactivate zip file extraction in RCBs settings.

cmb3 Wrote:I'm not sure if this has been covered here before, but I have a question about saving my game progress. I'm using Retroarch for snes, genesis, nes, etc., emulation but I can't save my progress in games while using XBMC. I thought maybe there was a problem with the Retroarch program itself, but I've been able to save/load my progress when I access the Retroarch.exe directly instead of going through XBMC. Any help would be appreciated.
I am already aware of this issue but did not find a solution yet.

var5592 Wrote:I've been lurking for a while reading and trying to find out a solution to my issue. The program will scrape initially and build me a library based on the system I chose. Everything works perfectly until I want to do two things.

1) I have some games that do not receive art work at all, even after doing a rescrape where I am involved with choosing the data, you know, it's not the two automatic options. Even if it finds the correct title names, it will not add an image. I have downloaded box art to fit these empty games and do a local art rescrape WITH the box art in the correctly named folder in the correct area and it still will not apply the images.

2) I have cartridge images that I would like to add to the four pane view, I believe the only view that supports that is marque. Either way, I just have questions about telling the program how to add the extra artwork, movies, 3D Box Art.

If anyone could point me to an explanation, that would be very appreciated, as I have checked the sites wiki explaining these items and I was still lost.
Thanks!
1) Can you show me a log file after you tried to rescrape your data?
2) Maybe this link helps you to solve your issue.

dEaFTOLiGhT Wrote:I still can't seem to get rescraping artwork to work. I can't for the life of me get certain artwork to update, even when it's there.
In your log I see it scraping Artwork for "Super Mario All-Stars (USA)". It cannot find any Cart, Banner and Advert artwork because it is not present in the searched directory. All other artwork types are found but not updated as they are already present in database. If you just changed the files on your HDD you don't need to update anything in RCB. You just have to wait some time until XBMC refreshes its artwork cache.

hewskie Wrote:I used the search function and this question has been asked before but the response was not what I was looking for. I'm running XBMC's most recent stable Windows installation on Windows 7 using RCB to load SNES roms. The problem is, every time the roms load it's always a NEW INSTANCE of the game. This means the in game save functions are not working as each time I close and reopen the game, it's like the game is being started for the first time again.

I was originally using ZSNESw so I installed Snes9X, deleted my RCB setup and redid it with Snes9X but the issue persists. I've fiddled with all of the settings in the config menu and nothing seems to make a difference.

When I load up the emulator outside of XBMC everything works fine in both ZNES and Snes9X.

When this question was asked previously the recommendation was to use savestates. I however do not like savestates as there is no way to ever undo anything and I've gotten stuck in RPGs before.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?
As said above, it is kind of a known issue that I was not able to solve until now.

cachirro Wrote:How do i make RCB download poster/cover or whatever it's called for my roms?
i have them working, but it would be nice to see images and not just a text list.
It should automatically download artwork when you use the online scrapers. You should tell me more about your environment (XBMC versions, OS, scraper, emulator, ...) if you still have issues.

ZaidRM Wrote:Hello All, new kid on the block here. Been reviewing post regarding RCB scraping and need help. Currently running latest Gotham and am getting "error: artwork file could not be created" upon initial and follow up ROM scraping. each time i scrape, a new folder shows up in ROM folder (Box art, thumb art, etc) but no actual artwork shows up. The progress bar shows the ROMs being scanned but they do not appear in the RCB main window that should populate said ROMS. Please help. Let me know what you need to investigateSmile This is an amazing program and i has worked in the past on other machines
Sounds like it has issues with accessing your artwork directories. It will also need sufficient permissions to create folders and files in the location that you specify for artwork.

skarpathio Wrote:Im in need of some help with this add on. Be patient with me as Im not tech savvy at all and this is the first time i've used anything android related.

Im running Gotham on an MX2 dual core.

I have issues with empty repositories. Ive tried force refresh etc but none of this works and i've given up on adding addons this way. All my add ons are installed via USB on zip file.

I downloaded the script version yesterday but when i enabled it and tried to run it I got the following error:

"unhandled exception occurred during the execution of RCB:
'None' type object is iterable
See XBMC log for details."

What am I doing wrong. Please help.
You have to show me your xbmc.log. Otherwise I have no chance to see what is happening.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - diedel - 2014-08-26

Hello,

First of all I would like to thank you for the work you're doing with this great add-on.

I'm trying to import game data from my MSX game collection and I've noticed that the mobygames scraper doesn't import any image. By analyzing the resources\scraper\04.09 - mobygames - screenshotlink.xml file, the log file and the mobygames webpage, I've discovered that the problem is because the token <div class="thumbnailContainer"> has been replaced by <div class="mobythumbnail">. Thus I've changed it in the 04.09 - mobygames - screenshotlink.xml file and it seems it works now.
By the way, when importing screenshots from mobygames (or any other site), is it possible to select the desired screenshot to import to the database? In mobygames the first screenshot is almost always the title screenshot and that is the less interesting Smile

Newbie to rbc - Chadthomson19 - 2014-08-29

Hi I'm having a problem with rcb when it comes to opening a emulator and launching a rom. The emulator opens up outside of xbmc and into a window and not full screen. The option "use emulator in solo mode" doesn't seem to do anything either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - lrrosa - 2014-08-29

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with RCB handling of .7z files that I haven't seen anyone mention here.
I use version 2.0.17 with Openelec 4.0.7 x64 generic.

Here is the output from XBMC.log:
Code:
NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: You have tried to launch a .7z file but you are missing required libraries to extract the file. You can download the latest RCB version from RCBs project page. It contains all required libraries.
NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error: /storage/.xbmc/addons/script.games.rom.collection.browser/resources/platform_libraries/Linux64/pylzma.so: undefined symbol: Py_InitModule4
NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error handling compressed file

Of course all the lzma libs are there.
Is this some problem with the version of Python used in Openelec 4.0.7?

Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - ZaidRM - 2014-08-29

(2014-08-29, 01:03)Chadthomson19 Wrote: Hi I'm having a problem with rcb when it comes to opening a emulator and launching a rom. The emulator opens up outside of xbmc and into a window and not full screen. The option "use emulator in solo mode" doesn't seem to do anything either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried adding -F in the beginning of the rom executable parameter to launch fullscreen?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - arucard - 2014-08-29

I created a patch to fix Issue 147

This should allow you to use a directory as emulator parameter, which basically allows you to use Higan as emulator.

You first need to configure RCB to use the game's folder name for scraping in order for it to be scraped correctly. But this patch then allows you to use the game's folder name as emulator parameter, which is what Higan requires (the imported game's folder, to be exact).

I was hoping this could get included in the next release of RCB.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - M3m3nt0 - 2014-08-30

Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I'm trying to turn my HTPC in a retro-gaming console with MAME Big Grin

I'm using XBMC 12.3 under Ubuntu 14.04 and MAME 0.152. I've installed this great add-on and configured it; it works fine!

the problem is I cannot use the scrapers because (i think) the names of the roms are not the "familiar game name"... (for example "Metal Slug" appears as mslug.zip)
What I have to confiugre/modify to obtain the full game name?
(if I change the name of the .zip files MAME doesn't work)

I imagine this is a silly question, but I wasn't able to find an answer Sad

Thank you all for your help

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Darkitz - 2014-08-30

Hey there,

Uhm yea its thinking that my xbmc is older than it is...
Code:
NOTICE: RCB_INFO: XBMC version: Assuming we are on Eden
ERROR: EXCEPTION: Unimplemented method: executehttpapi::executehttpapi(...)
im on gotham

iirc executehttpapi(...) is gone since frodo

does anybody have a solution?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - teeedubb - 2014-08-30

(2014-08-30, 03:29)M3m3nt0 Wrote: Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I'm trying to turn my HTPC in a retro-gaming console with MAME Big Grin

I'm using XBMC 12.3 under Ubuntu 14.04 and MAME 0.152. I've installed this great add-on and configured it; it works fine!

the problem is I cannot use the scrapers because (i think) the names of the roms are not the "familiar game name"... (for example "Metal Slug" appears as mslug.zip)

https://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/HowToAddMAMEOffline

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - M3m3nt0 - 2014-08-31

(2014-08-30, 09:29)teeedubb Wrote:
(2014-08-30, 03:29)M3m3nt0 Wrote: Hi everybody!

https://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/HowToAddMAMEOffline

Thank you!

Works great for naming and descriptions; I suppose there is no way I could easily get the artworks from emumovies in Ubuntu enviroment...

I'm a newbie of linux, xbmc and emulators...so...
another question about launching emulators within RCB: I've setup a dosbox cofiguration file to launch my dos game with this emulator. (I simply type in terminal: dosbox -conf myconfigfile.conf).
There is a way I could use it in RCB like in this video?

I thought I could add a DOS rom collection, select the path of the emulator, leave "%ROM%" as parameter and make some files (shell scripts??Huh) to use as "roms"... I am pointing in the right direction or totally wrong? Big Grin

EDIT:
I solved my issue by doing this:
- added ROM collection (DOS)
- selected path of the emulator (in my case /usr/bin/dosbox)
- entered -conf "%ROM%" as parameter
- entered *.conf as file type
- selected the folder where I stored a .conf files for each dos game

was so simple... Big Grin

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - robbyyyyyy - 2014-09-03

When switching between two different games using different cores with RetroArch, it freezes and force closes. I think it is trying to launch a nes game using a n64 emulator (if that is what I was using last)

What Launch Game Param should I be using so that RCB knows to tell retroarch to use the load content (auto detect core)? Or at least an n64 core with n64 games etc?

Edit:
Upon further searching my question has been answer before (as usual). This helped me with my problem. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70115&pid=1688768#pid1688768

firetv games don't show up - bbennett22 - 2014-09-03

I'm not sure if I did this correctly, but here is my log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=284861

When I start rom collection browser, I selected SNES and several options that I have on my firetv came up (Retroarch and Snes9xex) I select the snes9xex (non retro-arch version) and then choose the path to my roms on my external hard drive. I setup the fan art and wait as it loads up my collection. It goes through each game I have (even downloads the artwork into the proper folders). However, every time its finished it comes up empty. my roms are stored on my hard drive as .smc and I type in *.smc when asked to do so. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone could help me out I would really, really appreciate it!

Neo-Geo - prometheusbob - 2014-09-08

The problem I am having is that I can not figure out a configuration that will work, when trying to launch game for the Neo Geo. The Neo Geo roms are in .zip format. I tried a neoragex set but soon found that I could not frontend it with RCB or any frontend (emulators fault). So I switched to a winkawaks set.

I tried many methods to get them to launch with RCB. I tried putting the zipped roms directly in the winkawaks game folder and setting the winkawaks rom directory to there location. I tried all methods with "do not unzip" option clicked and not clicked. I've used "popen" and "stand alone" with my other set up combinations. I've even tried "%romname% instead of %rom%....

I have tried to search the internet for a fix but have ended up having to ask here. Any link or general advise for setting up a neo geo collection for RCB would be great and highly appreciated.