Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- mcborzu - 2010-11-26

Having trouble switching views, both Night and Confluence, even deleted everything and started clean.

W7
XBMC RC1

PASTEBIN if it helps

- malte - 2010-11-26

@quakes: Thanks a lot! Will check your mod when I get home. There are some plans to add zip file handling and with this maybe 7z, too. But it must be platform compatible to get in the trunk. But I will check what you have done and maybe can reuse some parts of it (or find libraries that work on other systems).

About your feature request: I think I can add this to the game searching part.

@mcborzu: Same here with Dharma RC1. I am sure it worked before (tested with Camelot but did not downgrade to earlier beta) and I did not change anything in this area. Will try to find out what happened. Somebody else has this problem with other scripts?

- quakes - 2010-11-26

malte Wrote:@quakes: Thanks a lot! Will check your mod when I get home. There are some plans to add zip file handling and with this maybe 7z, too. But it must be platform compatible to get in the trunk. But I will check what you have done and maybe can reuse some parts of it (or find libraries that work on other systems).

As long as you could manage to get the libraries compiled for other platforms, it should work for them as well. I linked to both libraries in the original post. Very little actual code is required to implement it (my version is about 40 lines of commented code). It would be cool if you could get the feature into trunk anyway; that would mean I didn't have to re-apply it myself every time I update the script. Smile

malte Wrote:About your feature request: I think I can add this to the game searching part.

Awesome, thanks!

- jimyx17 - 2010-11-26

quakes Wrote:As long as you could manage to get the libraries compiled for other platforms, it should work for them as well. I linked to both libraries in the original post. Very little actual code is required to implement it (my version is about 40 lines of commented code). It would be cool if you could get the feature into trunk anyway; that would mean I didn't have to re-apply it myself every time I update the script. Smile

That's funny, I was thinking the same way so I compiled pylzma in linux and began to do the same, I didn't have enough time to finish it but I can upload the library compiled for linux 32bit (you only need to add pylzma to platform_libraries/Linux and hashlib.py to the same directory)

- Tomkun - 2010-11-27

I am having real trouble getting sequels to scrape and I think I have worked out why. It's to do with having sub-titles in the game name and the way the 'fuzzy' matching works. I'll give an example which I have been trying in vain to get working.

'Alien Breed II'

Now, whenever I scraped it, it would always return just 'Alien Breed', I thought at first it was to do with the 'II' not being recognised, so I changed it to 'Alien Breed 2'. Same problem.

So, I took a look through the log and found this:
Quote:16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262458368 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Searching for game: Alien Breed 2
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262458368 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: More than 1 result found. Try to find best match.
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed, ratio: 0.916666666667
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed 3D, ratio: 0.888888888889
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed: Tower Assault, ratio: 0.615384615385
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed (Special Edition 92), ratio: 0.577777777778
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed II: The Horror Continues, ratio: 0.489795918367
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed 3D II: The Killing Grounds, ratio: 0.470588235294
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien3, ratio: 0.526315789474
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Storm, ratio: 0.583333333333
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Game may belong to a sequel. Start extra handling.
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Searching for game (sequel number replaced): Alien Breed II
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed, ratio: 0.88
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed 3D, ratio: 0.857142857143
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed: Tower Assault, ratio: 0.6
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed (Special Edition 92), ratio: 0.521739130435
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed II: The Horror Continues, ratio: 0.56
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Breed 3D II: The Killing Grounds, ratio: 0.538461538462
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien3, ratio: 0.5
16:01:01 T:5312 M:2262450176 NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Comparing with Alien Storm, ratio: 0.56

As you can see, the subtitle 'The Horror Continues' is enough to throw off the search, despite the whole first half of the title being correct. Is there a way to alter this behavior?

- malte - 2010-11-27

@quakes, jimyx17:
I want to add zip/7z support to one of the next releases (0.8.x) but I think I will go another route: Extract zip files during game import and import all different games to the database. (Maybe add them with a special path that shows that the game is inside a zip file: f.e. "D:\Roms\Myzipfile.zip%ZIP%Mygame.adf".) If the user wants to launch Mygame.adf, RCB has to extract it from Myzipfile.zip.

@Tomkun:
I will see what I can do but I am not sure if I should add this partial title matching. I don't know how users name their roms and how the games are named on the scraped sites. So I have to check for partial game names on both sites and this will definitely lead to wrong results. If you have a good idea to handle this reliable, let me knowSmile

- quakes - 2010-11-27

malte Wrote:@quakes, jimyx17:
I want to add zip/7z support to one of the next releases (0.8.x) but I think I will go another route: Extract zip files during game import and import all different games to the database. (Maybe add them with a special path that shows that the game is inside a zip file: f.e. "D:\Roms\Myzipfile.zip%ZIP%Mygame.adf".) If the user wants to launch Mygame.adf, RCB has to extract it from Myzipfile.zip.

I understand what you mean, but I do not think that would serve my purposes at least. In my case (and that of the guy who posted several months ago), each 7z file contains only one game, but several different ROMs of that game (EU version, US version, etc). Thus a .7z file can be treated as a single game. There are many "collections" of ROMs out there that follow this "standard" (see GoodMerge).

- malte - 2010-11-27

Ah ok, did not see that you are talking about different versions of the same game. Just checked my original need for this feature (Amiga xtras) and it is the same there, of course. So, you are right, it does not make sense to have all of them in database, I think.

- jimyx17 - 2010-11-28

Quote:Ah ok, did not see that you are talking about different versions of the same game. Just checked my original need for this feature (Amiga xtras) and it is the same there, of course. So, you are right, it does not make sense to have all of them in database, I think.

Yes, I was thinking in my GoodN64 romset. But I guess it would be better if the script check whether files are sequels/versions or not.

This is a Linux 32b compilation of the needed libraries:

platform_libraries

I'll try to compile it to Linux 64b.

Thanks for your work!

- ghostelement - 2010-11-28

Just thought you guys might be able to use these game studio icons in some way. I got permission from the creators to post here.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/4794/video-game-studio-icons-by-redshirt-demonseed

- carabalb - 2010-11-29

malte Wrote:@Tomkun:
I will see what I can do but I am not sure if I should add this partial title matching. I don't know how users name their roms and how the games are named on the scraped sites. So I have to check for partial game names on both sites and this will definitely lead to wrong results. If you have a good idea to handle this reliable, let me knowSmile

Hey Malte,

I ran into this issue as well, one possible solution might be to add a prompt for possible matches if no good match is found during the import process. And for people that don't want to monitor the rom import process, maybe allow an option to turn off the prompt from the settings menu.

- malte - 2010-11-29

Next test version: 0.7.8.

Changes:
  • remove (...) and [...] from game name before game search (thanks to carabalb)
  • better handling of rom names with trailing ", The" (thanks to quakes)
  • rework of encoding handling (thanks to jimyx17)
  • small bug fixes (just to have something contributed myself to this release)

First release with 4 contributorsSmile Thanks a lot for helping out!

There are still some scraping issues left that I want to fix with the next release. (But I am afraid there will never be a 100% accurate scraper). And the change view button is still broken in Dharma RC1. I am quite sure that this is not related to RCB but I will do some more tests on this issue.

regards,
malte

- Tomkun - 2010-11-29

carabalb Wrote:Hey Malte,

I ran into this issue as well, one possible solution might be to add a prompt for possible matches if no good match is found during the import process. And for people that don't want to monitor the rom import process, maybe allow an option to turn off the prompt from the settings menu.

I also have a few ideas, but have no idea how easy they would be to implement.

The script can already decide if it thinks a game may or may not be a sequel, so based on that, can it not check the number and base the result on that? i.e, if it detects a number in the title, ignore anything that doesn't contain that number, or contains a different number?

Would it not also be possible to check alternate titles? On Mobygames for example, most games alternate titles are listed and very often, they are listed without any sub-title.

I appreciate that neither of these scenarios are perfect and would still have mismatches, but I think there would be fewer than there are now.

By the way malte, I don't want you to think that I am picking holes in your script - this is far and away the best script I use in XBMC currently.

- malte - 2010-11-29

carabalb Wrote:Hey Malte,

This could work but will need a lot of user interaction. I have to ask for every game that is not matching 100%. Check your scrapeResult_possibleMismatches.txt to get an idea how often this would happenSmile

Tomkun Wrote:The script can already decide if it thinks a game may or may not be a sequel, so based on that, can it not check the number and base the result on that? i.e, if it detects a number in the title, ignore anything that doesn't contain that number, or contains a different number?
Yes, this sequel thing may work. I will do some tests with it.

Quote:Would it not also be possible to check alternate titles? On Mobygames for example, most games alternate titles are listed and very often, they are listed without any sub-title.
I did not find alternate titles on mobygames. Do you have an example? But anyway: "most" and "very often" are not the adjectives that I want to use as a base for an algorithmBig Grin

Quote:By the way malte, I don't want you to think that I am picking holes in your script - this is far and away the best script I use in XBMC currently.
Thanks. And, no problem: I really appreciate these detailed test and bug reports.

- Tomkun - 2010-11-30

malte Wrote:I did not find alternate titles on mobygames. Do you have an example? But anyway: "most" and "very often" are not the adjectives that I want to use as a base for an algorithmBig Grin

Fair enough, but just as an example:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dune-ii-the-building-of-a-dynasty

About halfway down the page the alternate titles are listed.