Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- grassmunk - 2010-12-05

I'm in the chat now and wimpy is the one who made the synopsis site so I'm trying to get ahold of him to see how one would go about scraping from the site.

Edit: Welp, its not recommended to scrape from there (unfortunately). But it would be unfortunate if that information wasn't available to use.

- ghostelement - 2010-12-05

Have you guys checked out my site? thegamesdb.net

You can scrape from it, and it uses the same API as thetvdb. There are some issues with the database format right now, but I'm getting everything ironed out. I'm shooting for content with maximum quality and accuracy.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-05

Can you check out my progress on "The Carmichael", RC2 fixed the view change but while half way thru skinning I can't switch views, an error pops up and I can't figure it out?

git://github.com/bartowski/thecarmichael.git

- carabalb - 2010-12-05

Tomkun Wrote:I also have a few ideas, but have no idea how easy they would be to implement.

The script can already decide if it thinks a game may or may not be a sequel, so based on that, can it not check the number and base the result on that? i.e, if it detects a number in the title, ignore anything that doesn't contain that number, or contains a different number?

Would it not also be possible to check alternate titles? On Mobygames for example, most games alternate titles are listed and very often, they are listed without any sub-title.

I appreciate that neither of these scenarios are perfect and would still have mismatches, but I think there would be fewer than there are now.

By the way malte, I don't want you to think that I am picking holes in your script - this is far and away the best script I use in XBMC currently.

Another idea to handle alternate titles might be to do a reverse lookup. In my case some of my games have alternate names but are not sequels (example: When scraping the rom name: "Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension" the only match was "Zool" which had ~ .2 ratio)

For games with no matches greater or equal to the fuzzy ratio (.7 by default), if we could do a reverse look-up where we find "Zool" within "Zool - Ninja of 'Nth' Dimension" that could tell us whether its an alternative title.

Ofcourse this could bring other problems especially with sequels, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there as a possible idea Smile. And I completely agree w/ Tomkun, this is definitely my favorite script for XBMC.

- grassmunk - 2010-12-05

ghostelement Wrote:Have you guys checked out my site? thegamesdb.net

You can scrape from it, and it uses the same API as thetvdb. There are some issues with the database format right now, but I'm getting everything ironed out. I'm shooting for content with maximum quality and accuracy.

Don't get me wrong. I think we need something like TVDB or moviedb for games but the gamesdb has a long way to go. I would love to see it populated with the information already gathered by the Xtras crew. I don't want to come off as being critical but look at the difference in information/art you can get

I searched for "Black Bass" on both sites (understanding that the site isn't complete or fully populated):

I would love a one stop shop for:
- Box Arts (foreign Box Arts as well)
- Fan Art
- Carts
- Synopsis
- Developers
- Game Cast
- Title shot
- Action Screenshot
- Game Manuals
- Game Commercials
- Nintendo Power articles
- Gameplay videos
- Etc

I honestly wish I could code so I could just do a datadump of the synopsis stuff that I've been able to collect over the years in to your system.

We're planning on adding a lot more features later when we have the new database model in place. If you want to see or help out with what we're working on, here's the code site. http://code.google.com/p/thegamesdb/

- Tomkun - 2010-12-05

grassmunk Wrote:I'm in the chat now and wimpy is the one who made the synopsis site so I'm trying to get ahold of him to see how one would go about scraping from the site.

Edit: Welp, its not recommended to scrape from there (unfortunately). But it would be unfortunate if that information wasn't available to use.

Perhaps if the gamesdb people talk to the ressurection xtras people, they could work some kind of sharing system out? Would be nice as the ressurection xtras team have obviously worked hard to get as much stuff as possible.

Tomkun Wrote:Perhaps if the gamesdb people talk to the ressurection xtras people, they could work some kind of sharing system out? Would be nice as the ressurection xtras team have obviously worked hard to get as much stuff as possible.

Who would I contact from their team? I'm happy to work something out.

- malte - 2010-12-05

mcborzu Wrote:Can you check out my progress on "The Carmichael", RC2 fixed the view change but while half way thru skinning I can't switch views, an error pops up and I can't figure it out?

git://github.com/bartowski/thecarmichael.git

There is another control with id="2" in your includes.xml (a videowindow). When I comment out this control the change view button works again. I need the id 2 because it is defined by XBMC. Would be good if you could change the id in the includes.xml.

BTW: Great skin! Will have a hard time to decide which one to take as defaultSmile

- Tomkun - 2010-12-05

ghostelement Wrote:Who would I contact from their team? I'm happy to work something out.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess wimpy.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-05

malte Wrote:There is another control with id="2" in your includes.xml (a videowindow). When I comment out this control the change view button works again. I need the id 2 because it is defined by XBMC. Would be good if you could change the id in the includes.xml.

BTW: Great skin! Will have a hard time to decide which one to take as defaultSmile

Glad I asked as I would never figured that one out, thx!

- wimpy - 2010-12-05

ghostelement Wrote:Who would I contact from their team? I'm happy to work something out.

I'm the creator of the Xtras synopsis database/site so I guess I'm the one to talk to about this. The database contains information on alot of systems covered by the Xtras team up over the last couple of years.

The site is not 100% scrapable atm, but let me know how I can help out.

On a sidenote; I don't like communities pointing towards two different sites trying to do the same. (read: thegamesdb and the thevideogamesdb in this case). I would be like having two different imdb.com sites doing the same thing and relying on both sites having the same information. I won't indulge in that notion any more than I just did, so I'll just close this sidenote with a "Perhaps you should try to work something out together". Smile

Crc - HollywoodZero - 2010-12-05

Hi Malte,

First of all, congratulation for your plugin, this is GREAT GREAT GREAT job !

However, I do have questions about it.

I've used the synopsis.txt file for SNES that you gave to us and I wonder why you refer to roms with their crc ? Why don't you just use the clean names provided by the goodsnes tool ? It would make more sens to let GoodTools do the rename/check/crc validation job and to let RCB just use those "standard" game names. This would be easier to know which file the synopsis.txt links to and would be easier if we were all using same rom names. This would avoid you to do an algorithm to detect the difference between Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat 2. Just show all found Goodxxx games name in the RCB list and that's all.

Then in the config.xml it could be nice to specify the type of rom we prefer when there are multiple available for a game : 1: (E) 2: (U) 3: [!] 4: (J) so when the game is launched, RCB try to launch the european version (E) but if not available the US version (U) if not available the [!], then the Japanese (J) etc.

It would be nice also to have the artworks files using the Goodxxx names so it would be easier to update the sets and find what is missing.

What do you think about it ?

Once again thanks a lot for your job ! This rocks !

- ghostelement - 2010-12-06

wimpy Wrote:I'm the creator of the Xtras synopsis database/site so I guess I'm the one to talk to about this. The database contains information on alot of systems covered by the Xtras team up over the last couple of years.

The site is not 100% scrapable atm, but let me know how I can help out.

On a sidenote; I don't like communities pointing towards two different sites trying to do the same. (read: thegamesdb and the thevideogamesdb in this case). I would be like having two different imdb.com sites doing the same thing and relying on both sites having the same information. I won't indulge in that notion any more than I just did, so I'll just close this sidenote with a "Perhaps you should try to work something out together". Smile

Hey, first of all, thanks for all the hard work you've done with your site! Smile
I totally agree with you about there being only one site instead of multiple ones with the same info. I've reached out to the creator of thevideogamedb a couple times, but he's never responded to me. What info is currently capable of being scraped off of your site right now? Would you be able to do any kind of db dump that I could just import? Thanks again for all the help.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-06

Alrighty got "The Carmichael" support done: