Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Alaska Revisited - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Alaska (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=126)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] Alaska Revisited (/showthread.php?tid=70302)

- bmcclure937 - 2011-02-03

hightow Wrote:I'm having a little problem:
When the skin is automatically updated, it somehow "crashed" and the Confluence-skin is selected. So everytime a new update is downloaded and installed, I have to change back to the Alaska skin in Settings.
Is it a well-known issue?

This is a known issue and will be addressed in XBMC 10.1 Wink

- Hidd3nFury - 2011-02-03

hightow Wrote:I'm having a little problem:
When the skin is automatically updated, it somehow "crashed" and the Confluence-skin is selected. So everytime a new update is downloaded and installed, I have to change back to the Alaska skin in Settings.
Is it a well-known issue?

It is a very well known issue. Search could've told you that Nod It is an XBMC issue not a skin issue.

Best thing to do is to turn off auto update and switch to another skin before updating.

Home Screen Question - krade - 2011-02-03

When the home screen comes up, it displays or has focus the weather icon. Note: I do have the home screen set to not display certain icons. I would like the home screen to show/focus on my Movie Icon instead when I first load XBMC (I do not want to drop down a level / just stay on the home screen). I do not see an option to do this. Thanks for any help.

- Wunderwally - 2011-02-03

First i wanna thank you^^ Alaska is by far the slickest skin for XbmcBig Grin

But is there a way to get the "old" flags (from the original Alaska) instead of the new one?

- Hidd3nFury - 2011-02-03

Wunderwally Wrote:First i wanna thank you^^ Alaska is by far the slickest skin for XbmcBig Grin

But is there a way to get the "old" flags (from the original Alaska) instead of the new one?

You could probably build a custom theme that only changes the flags. Look in the "How to make themes" sticky for more info.

- WheresWaldo - 2011-02-03

Wunderwally Wrote:First i wanna thank you^^ Alaska is by far the slickest skin for XbmcBig Grin

Hidd3nFury Wrote:You could probably build a custom theme that only changes the flags. Look in the "How to make themes" sticky for more info.

You will need all the flag icons as separate .png files to accomplish this, they might be up on the old github that Hitcher was using, I really don't know for sure.

- ECEC - 2011-02-04

Is there a way to display visualizations in the Now Playing screen? Or even the artist fanart, should it exist? Right now I just get a black screen with the album cover at the bottom. It looks slick, but...empty. Smile

Love Alaska - 3 questions - TiGmsm - 2011-02-04

I'm using Alaska Rev on my XBMC instances and loving it.

1. How do I turn off auto update so it doesn't crash when there's an update? After I do this, how will I know there's a update available?

2. On the home screen I find it difficult to recognize which item is centered and ready to select. It appears the bold font appears only for first 2-3 movements before making a selection. Then all text looks the same. Is there a way to make the current selection "really, really" bold? I use horizontal and vertical and have this problem, especially with the SD televisions.

3. Sometimes after a"scan for new content", items in the TV Show and Movies lists don't display the poster as expected ( I use horizontal poster info wrap for TV shows ad movies). I see the generic show or movie poster. It's as if the system has lost track of the info about the show. Sometimes it's even worse and it's lost the name and info about the show or movie (this happens more often with movies). I fix it by removing it from the library and re-scanning. Any tips here?

I have four instances of XBMC with Alaska Rev, all configured similarly. Two are on AppleTV (gen 1) and the other two are on W7, one with a nettop box with ion graphics and the other is a laptop.

- WheresWaldo - 2011-02-04

TiGmsm Wrote:I'm using Alaska Rev on my XBMC instances and loving it.

1. How do I turn off auto update so it doesn't crash when there's an update? After I do this, how will I know there's a update available?

Go to Settings >> Add-Ons >> Enabled Add-Ons then bring up the context menu there you will find two items, one is Auto-Update the other is Notifications. Set them any way you want.

Quote:2. On the home screen I find it difficult to recognize which item is centered and ready to select. It appears the bold font appears only for first 2-3 movements before making a selection. Then all text looks the same. Is there a way to make the current selection "really, really" bold? I use horizontal and vertical and have this problem, especially with the SD televisions.

Without substituting fonts I do not believe this is possible unless you recode some of the .xml files

Quote:3. Sometimes after a"scan for new content", items in the TV Show and Movies lists don't display the poster as expected ( I use horizontal poster info wrap for TV shows ad movies). I see the generic show or movie poster. It's as if the system has lost track of the info about the show. Sometimes it's even worse and it's lost the name and info about the show or movie (this happens more often with movies). I fix it by removing it from the library and re-scanning. Any tips here?

The best bet here is to use some third party app to scrape first them let xbmc just read the .nfo files. I use Ember Media Manager, others use Media Companion. Any app like that will make it infinitely easier to manage what you display within xbmc.

Quote:I have four instances of XBMC with Alaska Rev, all configured similarly. Two are on AppleTV (gen 1) and the other two are on W7, one with a nettop box with ion graphics and the other is a laptop.
Have you considered using a central MySQL db instead of the built in one in xbmc. I have three Ion boxes myself but only use one database and thumbnail set shared between all three. Makes updating so simple that I only need to update one box. Also it can keep track of bookmarks, I start watching a movie in my family room then can stop it and move to the bedroom and it will ask me to start where I left off. Search the forums for instructions on how to set up a single central db.

- Hitcher - 2011-02-04

ECEC Wrote:Is there a way to display visualizations in the Now Playing screen? Or even the artist fanart, should it exist? Right now I just get a black screen with the album cover at the bottom. It looks slick, but...empty. Smile

Have you actually set up a visualisation?

How to quit XBMC or disable Alaska? - RedneckTX - 2011-02-04

Hello,
I'm totally new to XBMC. I've just installed the Alaska skin, only to see how it looks like.

But now I don't know how to quit XBMC or even to disable Alaska to go back to the original skin.
I'm running the newest XBMC version on an Apple MacMini (Snow Leopard) with keyboard and Apple remote. Pressing ESC on the keyboard or the menue button on the remote won't do anything. The Uninstall or Disable option of the skin add-on can't be reached either (it's grey).

Any help is very much appreciated since I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

- BobbyOne - 2011-02-04

RedneckTX Wrote:Hello,
I'm totally new to XBMC. I've just installed the Alaska skin, only to see how it looks like.

But now I don't know how to quit XBMC or even to disable Alaska to go back to the original skin.
I'm running the newest XBMC version on an Apple MacMini (Snow Leopard) with keyboard and Apple remote. Pressing ESC on the keyboard or the menue button on the remote won't do anything. The Uninstall or Disable option of the skin add-on can't be reached either (it's grey).

Any help is very much appreciated since I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

press "s" too access the menu with shutdown and settings

- RedneckTX - 2011-02-04

Thank you ... a thousand times. You made my day.

- RedneckTX - 2011-02-04

One more thing ... how can I disable the Alaska skin? It won't let me do it.

- BobbyOne - 2011-02-04

RedneckTX Wrote:One more thing ... how can I disable the Alaska skin? It won't let me do it.

You need to change to another skin before disabling it, enter settings -> apperance to find the option to change skin.