Kodi Community Forum
[OBSOLETE] Pandora Radio (Script) Music Addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Music Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=148)
+---- Thread: [OBSOLETE] Pandora Radio (Script) Music Addon (/showthread.php?tid=70471)

Hi - jyinap - 2012-01-23

This script is awesome, just getting that out of the way first. I like the slick and simple interface and how it just seems to work well with how Pandora itself looks like (simple).

Unfortunately, the ThumbsUP ThumbsDOWN do not seem to be working, as said before. Clicking the buttons registers a response, but does not actually do anything (Pandora-wise).

Also, the ability to put Pandora in the background would be helpful, as then I could muck around in another addon or something while Pandora provides me with a soundtrack.

But the thumbs issue is the more important thing. A fix or an explanation of why it isn't working would be just dandy.

I'm running the Eden Beta 2 using the Neon skin.

- Statts - 2012-01-23

Hi all,

First, great script. Been looking for something like this for some time.

I am from Australia, and signed up to a proxy (UnblockUS) so I could sign up to Pandora and make use of this script. The only details give to me by UnblockUS was a DNS server address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). No username or password, or port number.

Now, the problem I have is in getting the proxy part working. I'm running openelec 10.1. If I enter the proxy address in the Pandora add-on configuration, I can log in to Pandora, my stations load, but will not play. The same can be said for if I remove the add-on config and set the proxy settings in System > Settings > Network. The only way I can get Pandora add-on to play music is if I set the proxy address under the openelec OS config program in xbmc. There I set my gateway, DNS address (proxy address). Then the music plays fine. However, if I can help it, I would like only Pandora traffic to use the proxy, and not other traffic for the xbmc machine such as scraping metadata etc.

So in summary....

proxy set in Pandora -> won't play music
proxy set in xbmc Network settings -> won't play music
proxy set in openelec config -> plays music fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feature Request - smilerz - 2012-01-27

At some point it would be great if the add-on supported multiple users/profiles. My wife and I both have different Pandora accounts - but she won the XBMC war. Oo

- Set845 - 2012-01-28

wheatwizard Wrote:Below please see my workaround to the login but no play issue on XBMC addon for pandora.

I created a new Pandora ID and password and inserted them in the settings.xml file in :
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.pandora/

I was able to play music.

I thought it might be the number of channels I have on the other account. So, I deleted a few channels and switched the ID and password back to the old one. Nope still no music.

Could this be something Pandora is doing?

I updated Pandora on two ATVs today at two houses, two accounts. The same thing happened to both. skip too many times and no more streaming. I could stream from my iPad, same account same house. I too had to create a new account to get the plugin to stream. I think Pandora is getting flagged after too many skips and checks to see if its a web browser or their app. Then it blocks the stream to the ATV. We better be careful.

Edit: I have Pianopub running on my Mac. It's a desktop Pandora app that is part of pianobar. That stopped streaming last night as well. Today Pandora is working again logged on to my original account on both XBMC Pandora and Pianopub. Maybe Pandora is blocking temporarily?

- bac522 - 2012-01-28

Set845 Wrote:I too had to create a new account to get the plugin to stream. I think Pandora is getting flagged after too many skips and checks to see if its a web browser or their app. Then it blocks the stream to the ATV. We better be careful.

I haven't seen that, but I have a paid subscription. And for the $36 a year, if people like Pandora's service it's such cheap dollars to become a subscriber IMHO.

- spbogie - 2012-01-29

Please see http://6xq.net/blog/2012/api/ regarding the issues with certain accounts not working. Pandora is getting more creative in their protection methods. This was going to happen eventually, and I'm just pleased that, at least for now, they have seen fit to still allow us some limited access to the service.

As of right now, I have neither the time nor the desire to implement a way around this protection. Pandora is not a free service. Music licensing is expensive, comes with many restrictions, and they have every right to try and make a profit on top of it.

As I've said before. If you use this script extensively, please consider purchasing a Pandora One subscription, and supporting the great service they provide.

- speed32219 - 2012-01-29

bac522 Wrote:I haven't seen that, but I have a paid subscription. And for the $36 a year, if people like Pandora's service it's such cheap dollars to become a subscriber IMHO.

What version of Pandora addon are you using?

So with a paid sub, it will work fine with no need for updates?

Also would be great if this addon was with the Ice repo, for auto updates.

- spbogie - 2012-01-29

I have put together a simple poll that I would like to get everyone's opinions on.
Please remember that these questions are entirely hypothetical, and more than likely nothing will result from them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHAtRkVBY0RBaTR6bXM2QmQtdy1rQWc6MQ&ifq

- htpc guy - 2012-01-29

spbogie Wrote:I have put together a simple poll that I would like to get everyone's opinions on.
Please remember that these questions are entirely hypothetical, and more than likely nothing will result from them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHAtRkVBY0RBaTR6bXM2QmQtdy1rQWc6MQ&ifq

So what are you hoping for here? An XBMC Pandora addon that is approved by Pandora?

- spbogie - 2012-01-29

Just seeing if people would be open to the idea, given the restrictions it would almost certainly entail.

Benefits of doing so would include less breakage, and more features as I would likely have proper documentation to work from. As well as actually supporting Pandora for providing the great service that so many here love.

Again, most likely they wouldn't even go for it and this poll will mean absolutely nothing, but I would personally love to be proven wrong in this regard.

- NOT_U - 2012-01-30

@spbogie and everyone else that has been helping along the way. Thank you for all the hard work and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

- bg762 - 2012-01-30

I just gave my 2 cents to your poll.

I Currently have a Pandora One account and use the XBMC plugin.
I must say that if Pandora was to block XBMC plugins and access then I would have no use for a Pandora One account.

XBMC is at the center of my entertainment center, this is unlikely to change. Exiting the XBMC program to start Pandora within another application or via the website is just not something I am interested in doing.

That completely destroys the ease of use that is gained by using XBMC.

- Livin - 2012-01-30

bg762 Wrote:xbmc is at the center of my entertainment center, this is unlikely to change. Exiting the xbmc program to start pandora within another application or via the website is just not something i am interested in doing.

That completely destroys the ease of use that is gained by using xbmc.

ditto!

I can do it without much problem, using EventGhost to manage which apps are live and get remote IR, etc ... but XBMC needs to be the hub for these types of media. If it cannot then people will migrate to variants like Boxee (yuck) or other media apps/devices - and that would be very sad.

- jyinap - 2012-02-03

I would rather have a full featured Pandora addon even if I had to keep up the subscription. Besides, 3 dollars a MONTH is well worth the benefits.

Full featured addon + $3 a month = well worth it.

Thanks for all your hard work!

- TechLife - 2012-02-03

bg762 Wrote:I just gave my 2 cents to your poll.

I Currently have a Pandora One account and use the XBMC plugin.
I must say that if Pandora was to block XBMC plugins and access then I would have no use for a Pandora One account.

XBMC is at the center of my entertainment center, this is unlikely to change. Exiting the XBMC program to start Pandora within another application or via the website is just not something I am interested in doing.

That completely destroys the ease of use that is gained by using XBMC.

+1 on all counts. I'm 100% behind this idea.