Kodi Community Forum
Problem getting Broadcom Crystal HD BMC70015 to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Problem getting Broadcom Crystal HD BMC70015 to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=70537)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

[MAC] General questions about Broadcom Crystal HD kexts source code for Mac OS X? - jmacie - 2010-12-20

I'm new and just installed XBMC on SL 10.6.5. I'm using a dell mini 10v with crystallHD 970015. I thank sdavilla et al for the kexts. Before I get burned, I would like to ask if there is a place more appropriate to ask general questions about these kexts and OS X, as I know forums tend to frown on questions that don't directly pertain to the main focus.
Anyway, I'll come back after a while and check for any responses.
I have had good results with XBMC in OSX, with just a few glitches, but at this point it's probably 'cause it's a netbook hack.
I hope to donate someday, just need to get work. Thanks for any and all help. johnm

O.K. then - jmacie - 2010-12-23

Anyone want to describe how I use xcode to compile r174 to maximize my crystalhd drivers? I somehow have conflicting info on r156's(3.6.0) support for bcm970015. I can reference the conflicting info for anyone who wants it. I've read quite a bit here and still am interested in getting some info on drivers performance outside of XBMC. Thank you, johnm

- davilla - 2010-12-23

http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/ contains basic info on how to compile using xcode.

Thank you - jmacie - 2010-12-23

Thank you for your hard work. I am new to osx and any and all info is appreciated.

Help - jmacie - 2010-12-23

If there is a benevolent sort out there that could walk me through this (compiling r174 w/xcode) I would appreciate it. I know it's alot to ask, but it seems that many would profit from a brief walkthrough. Thanks, johnm

- jmacie - 2010-12-25

I've gotten more compiling info from "limini". If anyone could confirm or add to this info we would appreciate it. Thanks johnm

1. Install the XCode programming environment from your SL installation disk.

2. You have to get davilla's source code to your machine. On the Google code page the files are all there under "Source" but it's a pain to download one by one. Subversion is a code archiving system that allows devs to keep generations of code so they can backtrack and refer to older versions as required. You have to figure out how to point it to the source tree. There's also several items you need to install and you'll find them on the Subversion download page.

3. Once you're set up, you just sync the project source to the latest version.

After that you can follow the davilla's compiling directions.

- jmacie - 2010-12-28

3.8.0 kext/library anyone?
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. It seems like sharing info is limited.

- beytarj - 2010-12-31

second try,
crystal 012, ver. 3.8, xbmc 10.0 - get kernel panic again.
log: http://pastebin.com/8gFNMrXd

- guano - 2011-02-05

Hey,
I'm unable to use crystalhd and have been for quite a while now.
I have the BCM70015 model, running:
XBMC 10.0-3
Crystalhd 3.10.0 (from the git repository)

I simply don't get the choice anywhere to use crystalhd.
Outputs of a couple of (possibly relevant) commands:
uname -a
Linux htpc 2.6.37-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 29 19:40:04 UTC 2011 i686 Intel® Atom™ CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

dmesg | grep -i cryst
Loading crystalhd v3.10.0
crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: Starting Device:0x1615
crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

lspci -k | grep -i -A 4 crystal
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM70015 Video Decoder [Crystal HD]
Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation BCM70015 Video Decoder [Crystal HD]
Kernel driver in use: crystalhd
Kernel modules: crystalhd

xbmc.log

Anything else needed I'd be happy to provide!
Cheers!

- jmacie - 2011-02-06

Is there any real need to use kext/lib beyond 3.6.0? I couldn't compile the updated parts on google.code. I just don't have the ability to teach myself to do it. I tried. Just cannot get it or anyone to help. So, since I can't get it, I am curious, are newer versions better for any reason? Thank you, johnm

- icedtrip - 2011-02-16

mmmfishies Wrote:I'm still seeing precisely these same issues with RC2. Am I just doing something wrong, or are the videos in a format that's troublesome for the CrystalHD? Would more info help?

I'm not sure if I should bother collecting more logs, or just leave CrystalHD disabled on my setup.

Thanks,
Rob

I went away for awhile and am playing catch-up on any CrystalHD news or updates. I too am still having issues with the latest XBMC version (10.0 Dharma) and CrystalHD drivers built from source (r174) with VC1 codecs inside MKV containers.

Re-stating the issue:
All of my rips are full quality rips in MKV containers. No encoding of the original codec has been done. The files that contain VC1 videos either stutter with audio playing just fine or no video with audio playing just fine. Again, this is only with VC1 files within an MKV container. The videos will play without CrystalHD enabled, but with high CPU utilization. Also, using TSMuxer to mux the file into an m2ts container (maintaining everything else the same), the videos play flawlessly with CrystalHD enabled.

New observation I made last night:
When in the MKV container, XBMC reports the codec as WMVHD, but when in the m2ts container, XBMC reports the codec as VC1. I understand that both codecs might be similar, but are they exactly the same (just 2 different names for the same codec)? Would XBMC reporting a VC1 video inside an MKV file as WMVHD cause issues for CrystalHD?

Sorry I don't have any logs to post as I'm at work, but I will post logs when I get home tonight.

My setup:
Mac Mini 2.0 Core 2 Duo
70012 based CrystalHD card
CrystalHD r174
XBMC 10.0 Dharma

- icedtrip - 2011-02-17

icedtrip Wrote:I went away for awhile and am playing catch-up on any CrystalHD news or updates. I too am still having issues with the latest XBMC version (10.0 Dharma) and CrystalHD drivers built from source (r174) with VC1 codecs inside MKV containers.

Re-stating the issue:
All of my rips are full quality rips in MKV containers. No encoding of the original codec has been done. The files that contain VC1 videos either stutter with audio playing just fine or no video with audio playing just fine. Again, this is only with VC1 files within an MKV container. The videos will play without CrystalHD enabled, but with high CPU utilization. Also, using TSMuxer to mux the file into an m2ts container (maintaining everything else the same), the videos play flawlessly with CrystalHD enabled.

New observation I made last night:
When in the MKV container, XBMC reports the codec as WMVHD, but when in the m2ts container, XBMC reports the codec as VC1. I understand that both codecs might be similar, but are they exactly the same (just 2 different names for the same codec)? Would XBMC reporting a VC1 video inside an MKV file as WMVHD cause issues for CrystalHD?

Sorry I don't have any logs to post as I'm at work, but I will post logs when I get home tonight.

My setup:
Mac Mini 2.0 Core 2 Duo
70012 based CrystalHD card
CrystalHD r174
XBMC 10.0 Dharma

Here are my paste bins. I did a log for both containers. The MKV which produced no video, only audio; and the m2ts which played both video and audio just fine. An item that sticks out to me for the Media Info pieces is that the MKV is reported with a 29.970 frame rate whereas the m2ts is reported with a 23.976 frame rate. Even with that said, the XBMC Logs for both show 29.970 for both files.

I also took it one step further and re-muxed the MKV with MKVtoolnix in an attempt to rule out MakeMKV, and the resulting MKV does the exact same as the original MakeMKV produced file.

Thanks for any help!

VC-1 in MKV:
MediaInfo - http://pastebin.com/ghTPQaTT
XBMC Log - http://pastebin.com/xYZqCKDi

VC-1 in m2ts:
MediaInfo - http://pastebin.com/7t9bxZS1
XBMC Log - http://pastebin.com/ZkabnicU

Audio but no Video - Observer - 2011-03-14

Hi

I'm a little new at this; but have been trying to follow the threads but still am having trouble with my ATV/Broadcom Crystal HD

The first run the screen just goes black but the audio comes though. I'm expecting a TrueHD/DTS pass though to my receiver via optical cable, but from the logs there is something weird going on. Its seem to be trying the AC3 stream but reports "No suitable AC3 output format found".

The second run, the sound come though but the XBMC menu screens flicker for a bit and then get the black screen.

DMESG
MediaInfo
First Run XBMC.LOG
Second Run XBMC.LOG - With Debug turned on

Crystal HD version - BCM970015
XBMC 10.1 - Nightly Build - ff701de. Also tried with the 10.0 release with same problems.
Crystal HD Driver build r174. Also tried with the r165 release with same problems, and thought that r174 supported the BCM970015.
ATV - Version 1 - running 3.0.2

Quote:-bash-2.05b$ kextstat | grep crystalhd
77 0 0x30590000 0x11000 0x10000 com.broadcom.crystalhd.driver (3.8.1) <5 4 3 2>

Quote:-bash-2.05b$ uname -a
Darwin AppleTV.local 8.8.2 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.2: Mon Jan 29 18:57:29 PST 2007; root:xnu-792.94.18~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

I rebooted the ATV after installing XBMC and the drivers.

Any and all help greatly appreciated, as I really want to make this my go forward median solution, and want to thanks everyone for the potential this solution offers. Big Grin

- Observer - 2011-03-16

^ If there is anything else I need to provide please let me know....or want me to try.

Not sure how to chop my source .mkv file up to just have the first movie chapter or something. Any advice here much appreciated (I only have Mac/OSX computers, the mkv was a rip from the original Bluray using MakeMKV 1.6.5)

Thanks for all help !

- davilla - 2011-03-16

Observer Wrote:^ If there is anything else I need to provide please let me know....or want me to try.

Not sure how to chop my source .mkv file up to just have the first movie chapter or something. Any advice here much appreciated (I only have Mac/OSX computers, the mkv was a rip from the original Bluray using MakeMKV 1.6.5)

Thanks for all help !

man split