Kodi Community Forum
Problem getting Broadcom Crystal HD BMC70015 to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Problem getting Broadcom Crystal HD BMC70015 to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=70537)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- icedtrip - 2011-03-16

Observer Wrote:Hi

I'm a little new at this; but have been trying to follow the threads but still am having trouble with my ATV/Broadcom Crystal HD

The first run the screen just goes black but the audio comes though. I'm expecting a TrueHD/DTS pass though to my receiver via optical cable, but from the logs there is something weird going on. Its seem to be trying the AC3 stream but reports "No suitable AC3 output format found".

The second run, the sound come though but the XBMC menu screens flicker for a bit and then get the black screen.

DMESG
MediaInfo
First Run XBMC.LOG
Second Run XBMC.LOG - With Debug turned on

Crystal HD version - BCM970015
XBMC 10.1 - Nightly Build - ff701de. Also tried with the 10.0 release with same problems.
Crystal HD Driver build r174. Also tried with the r165 release with same problems, and thought that r174 supported the BCM970015.
ATV - Version 1 - running 3.0.2

I rebooted the ATV after installing XBMC and the drivers.

Any and all help greatly appreciated, as I really want to make this my go forward median solution, and want to thanks everyone for the potential this solution offers. Big Grin

Your issue appears to be the same as the one I have reported a few times. If you have any other MKV videos with a VC-1 video file, try and see if you get the same result.

Just open the videos in Media Info and if the "Video codec used" is VC-1, try those.

If you want, you can use tsMuxer to mux the MKV into an m2ts file. You won't lose quality, but you will lose subtitles if they're important to you. Then try playing back the m2ts files.

- Observer - 2011-03-16

davilla Wrote:man split

Thanks for responding ! Big Grin

I did not think you could just split a file as the container format might break if all the blocks are not in place ?!? All new to me....

I can give this a go, what size chunk would be useful ?

Otherwise is there not a tool that works under OSX or has a mac port that can just extract a chapter?

- icedtrip - 2011-03-17

I extracted a sample of the VC-1 inside MKV issue. I ran the sample through the test by itself. Below are links to the Media Info, XBMC Log (with debugging enabled), and the sample file itself.

Media Info:
http://pastebin.com/QvfK5gEV

XBMC Log (Debugging turned on):
http://pastebin.com/yk3gkNrM

~50MB Sample (~1min length):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/Blood.Diamond.Clip.mkv.zip

Setup:
Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB RAM
CrystalHD - BCM970012
CrystalHD Driver - r174
XBMC 10.1

@Observer, I believe this is the same issue you are having. I have the same problems with a rip of The Matrix.

- Observer - 2011-03-17

icedtrip Wrote:If you want, you can use tsMuxer to mux the MKV into an m2ts file. You won't lose quality, but you will lose subtitles if they're important to you. Then try playing back the m2ts files.
@icedtrip I can't seem to get tsMuxer (tsMuxerGUI) to open the Matrix rip. It comes up with a bunch of errors saying "Can't detect stream type. File name:"

icedtrip Wrote:I extracted a sample of the VC-1 inside MKV issue. I ran the sample through the test by itself. Below are links to the Media Info, XBMC Log (with debugging enabled), and the sample file itself.

Media Info:
http://pastebin.com/QvfK5gEV

XBMC Log (Debugging turned on):
http://pastebin.com/yk3gkNrM

~50MB Sample (~1min length):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/Blood.Diamond.Clip.mkv.zip

Setup:
Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB RAM
CrystalHD - BCM970012
CrystalHD Driver - r174
XBMC 10.1

@Observer, I believe this is the same issue you are having. I have the same problems with a rip of The Matrix.

@icedtrip Thanks for the clip. Your clip gives us a standard benchmark for anyone else who is having issues along side My Matrix Clip. I can't tell if the issue its same as yours just now.

Here is my equivalent XBMC.log For the Blood Diamond clip, and the post below for the Matrix Clip.

Initial observations that we are running different setups:
  1. I'm running on an AppleTV "Mac OS X (8.8.2 i386)"
  2. I'm running "Built on Mar 6 2011 (Git:ff701de)", a few days older
  3. I'm running CrystalHD - BCM970015

I see that I get a:
Quote:CrystalHD: device open failed , returning(0x6)

And a lot of buffering...but given the failure above the rest is moot. Question is why did the Crystal HD Fail to open the device ? The rest of my setup is unchanged. Please let me know if I need to supply any additional information or re-test with different versions.

It's a starting point, it would be good to get an XBMC.LOG for anyone else running on an Apple TV with a CrystalHD - BCM970015 so we can get a more equivalent comparison.

- Observer - 2011-03-17

davilla Wrote:man split

@davilla Here you go:

Matrix Clip

Here is the XBMC.LOG for running this clip. All other settings as before.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for your help !!! Big Grin

- icedtrip - 2011-03-17

Observer Wrote:@icedtrip I can't seem to get tsMuxer (tsMuxerGUI) to open the Matrix rip. It comes up with a bunch of errors saying "Can't detect stream type. File name:"

Interesting...

I'll check was version of tsMuxer I have, etc when I get home later tonight. I will also try and run my rip of The Matrix through it and see what happens. My rip is from the HD-DVD version, but was done using MakeMKV.

Also, just for fun, I'll try running your clip through tsMuxer and if successful, post the m2ts file. Otherwise, if mine is successful, I'll pull out a 100MB clip of The Matrix, post both the MKV and m2ts files to see if your are able to play either. My guess will be MKV=no, m2ts=yes if our issues are the same.

Depending on how I decide to celebrate St Paddy's day I should be able to post these tonight Eek

- icedtrip - 2011-03-18

icedtrip Wrote:Interesting...

I'll check was version of tsMuxer I have, etc when I get home later tonight. I will also try and run my rip of The Matrix through it and see what happens. My rip is from the HD-DVD version, but was done using MakeMKV.

Also, just for fun, I'll try running your clip through tsMuxer and if successful, post the m2ts file. Otherwise, if mine is successful, I'll pull out a 100MB clip of The Matrix, post both the MKV and m2ts files to see if your are able to play either. My guess will be MKV=no, m2ts=yes if our issues are the same.

Depending on how I decide to celebrate St Paddy's day I should be able to post these tonight Eek

@Observer

I played your clip and got just the same black screen and audio. I am using tsMuxeR GUI 1.9.9 Snow Leopard Build with tsMuxeR 1.10.6 (by VoxMac). I was able to use my rip of The Matrix to produce an m2ts file. I also ran your clip and it produced an m2ts file, but with an error. The clip still plays, so I believe the error was due to the MKV file reporting the original length of the movie rather than the length of the clip (an issue with using 'split'?? not sure).

However, like I mentioned before, below are links to the same 1 minute clip in both MKV and m2ts containers I made from my rip. The MKV has the issue I have described and provided logs for, the m2ts file plays just fine. Both files are 130-140MB. I have also included the m2ts file produced using your clip.

MKV - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/The.Matrix.Clip.mkv.zip

m2ts - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/The.Matrix.Clip.m2ts.zip

Observer Clip m2ts - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/ObserverMatrixClip.m2ts.zip

- icedtrip - 2011-03-22

@davilla - Let me know if I can provide anything else for this issue. This is the only item left before I can declare my little Mac Mini the perfect HTPC.

- Observer - 2011-03-22

icedtrip Wrote:@Observer

I played your clip and got just the same black screen and audio. I am using tsMuxeR GUI 1.9.9 Snow Leopard Build with tsMuxeR 1.10.6 (by VoxMac). I was able to use my rip of The Matrix to produce an m2ts file. I also ran your clip and it produced an m2ts file, but with an error. The clip still plays, so I believe the error was due to the MKV file reporting the original length of the movie rather than the length of the clip (an issue with using 'split'?? not sure).

However, like I mentioned before, below are links to the same 1 minute clip in both MKV and m2ts containers I made from my rip. The MKV has the issue I have described and provided logs for, the m2ts file plays just fine. Both files are 130-140MB. I have also included the m2ts file produced using your clip.

MKV - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/The.Matrix.Clip.mkv.zip

m2ts - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/The.Matrix.Clip.m2ts.zip

Observer Clip m2ts - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2810404/ObserverMatrixClip.m2ts.zip

@icedtrip - Thanks for the help with the files...see below for comments
@davilla - Does any of this help; how can we help you to help us ?

The.Matrix.Clip.mkv
Here is the Log File
Here is the Media Info

This clip played a bit, with both sound and video, but was very jumpy. I notice from the log, that for some reason it is trying rescale back to 1280x720 ? and not play at the full 1900x1080 resolution? Also the audio AC3 pass-through does not appear to be working properly. Looking at the Media Info it seem to have the codec assigned to "E-AC-3". Of course on would actually like to be able to select the TrueHD audio on stream #2, that my processesor will downgrade to DTS, but that is covered on a different thread.

The.Matrix.Clip.m2ts
Here is the Log File
Here is the Media Info
Again this clip was not smooth, and had aspect ratio problems, squashed horizontally, and pushed to the bottom of the screen and again forced resolution to 1280x720. Same problem with Sound. In general if would be good to use the same logical clip form the movie so that one can do a comparison.

Observer Clip m2ts

Here is the Log File
Here is the Media Info
After some initial flickering, this clip seems to play normally, beyond the same screen resolution down-conversion to 1280x270, and audio pass-through worked more successfully, the clip seemed shorter then the original it was converted from.

Questions:
  1. Rescaling?

Why is this happening, the CrystalHD is supposed to support 1900x1080 right? My Apple TV is set up as 1080p HD resolution. But all logs have the following:

Quote:... DEBUG: CrystalHD: Format Change Detected. Flags: 0x00030000
    ... DEBUG: ----------------------------------
    ... DEBUG: TimeStamp: 0
    ... DEBUG: Picture Number: 0
    ... DEBUG: Width: 1280
    ... DEBUG: Height: 720
    ... DEBUG: Chroma: 0x001
    ... DEBUG: Pulldown: 9
    ... DEBUG: Flags: 0x00000000
    ... DEBUG: Frame Rate/Res: 0
    ... DEBUG: Aspect Ratio: 1
    ... DEBUG: Color Primaries: 0
    ... DEBUG: MetaData: 0
    ... DEBUG: Session Number: 0
    ... DEBUG: TimeStamp: 0
    ... DEBUG: Custom Aspect: 0
    ... DEBUG: Frames to Drop: 0
    ... DEBUG: H264 Valid Fields: 0x00000000

2. MKV Container Support?

I expect other users of XBMC are to some degree techy/geeky but what we really want to be able to do is rip our Movies with the tools available MakeMKV on OSX and make the file available to the Apple TV (via NAS) and be done. I personally don't want to have to do "extra" processing on the file to get it to work. Its unfortunate that there is the dependency on the capabilities of another tool as the means to get content to the player, and that is somewhat limiting on some platforms, but it's the path of least resistance to more adoption. Is this a more general XBMC issue or something specific to the CrystalHD integration ?

3. Audio Selection?

It seem that, if I am interpreting the logs correctly, there is also a challenge in being able to pass through the AC3 track directly with out re-muxing it:
    Quote:... DEBUG: CoreAudioRenderer::InitializeEncoded: Unable to identify suitable output format.
    ... DEBUG: CoreAudioRenderer::Initialize: No suitable AC3 output format found. Attempting DD-Wav.
    Again is this more of an XBMC issue? but I'd expect that player to just pass the audio stream directly to the spdif output untouched, with no remapping required. Audio Track selection has been discussed to some degree here. Without a more complex remote control I don't know how to select a different audio track on the AppleTV as I can't get that pop-up menu at the top of the picture to appear as I can when running on a regular mac.

What are next steps ?

Again all help greatly appreciated ! If I can help in any way please let me know.Big Grin

- davilla - 2011-03-22

@Observer

BMC70015 will outputs 720p under atv(osx) because you can't display any higher and so it's waste of CPU resources to move around a 1080p when you can only display a 720p.

INFO: GUI format 1280x720 1280x720 @ 60.00 - Full Screen

It does not matter what frontrow says or is setup for. ATV1(osx) under XBMC is 720p display max. This has been discussed many times in the past.

- Observer - 2011-03-22

davilla Wrote:BMC70015 will outputs 720p under atv(osx) because you can't display any higher and so it's waste of CPU resources to move around a 1080p when you can only display a 720p.

INFO: GUI format 1280x720 1280x720 @ 60.00 - Full Screen

It does not matter what frontrow says or is setup for. ATV1(osx) under XBMC is 720p display max. This has been discussed many times in the past.

@davilla Thanks for you quick response !

So is your article Broadcom Crystal HD, It`s Magic. perhaps just a little bit misleading then ?Oo

Especially when you say:
davilla Wrote:Image
The Dark Knight vc1 running at 1080p on an AppleTV* Shocked

* highlighting my emphasis.
Additionally from here

Quote:Question: Will the Apple TV playback 1080p videos encoded with the H.264 codec (like Blu-ray rips)?

Answer: Yes, the latest version of XBMC (version 10 'Dharma') allows Apple TV to play HD H.264 encoded videos however the original Apple TV hardware is only capable of decoding 720p videos. To watch 1080 HD videos the Broadcom Crystal HD card must be installed into Apple TV along with the corresponding driver.
Are you saying I actually need the BCM970012 to make it work at 1080p on the AppleTV 1,1 or only under a Unbutu Linux installation ? I'm trying to search all the articles but there is a lot of content and long conflicted threads out there and its difficult to find concise info in the noise...

If not we perhaps should fix the article...just to ensure that new users expectations are set properly, with out having to find all that discussion. I may have spent some cash and a whole ton of time for nothing.....why go down this route to play 1080p content if its not actually supported.

On the off chance that I've entirely misunderstood you, how do I get my MKV files (from MakeMKV) to play smoothly, with no drop outs and have the audio pass though correctly ?

Again, you dedication to answering question is terrific, and a supported platform gathers adoption. Big Grin

- davilla - 2011-03-22

No, not misleading at all, that's running atv(linux) and there one CAN do 1080p display.

Notice that I always and have always differentiated the difference between display and decode resolution as they are very different things. You CAN play 1080p videos as they will be DECODED but DISPLAY is another issue that has nothing to do with CrystalHD decode.

So far, I see a common factor being VC1 and E-AC-3, perhaps time to try some h264 ?

- Observer - 2011-03-23

davilla Wrote:No, not misleading at all, that's running atv(linux) and there one CAN do 1080p display.

Big GrinBig Grin Being the reader, I'd beg to differ, I'd at least tweak the caption on the Picture to say "The Dark Knight vc1 running at 1080p on an AppleTV (running linux)" Big GrinBig Grin

...but now that I know, I'll look at giving it a go....It's probably getting a ways above my comfort zone...

Is it safe to use these instruction for a Linux setup ?

A couple of Q's:
  1. Is my best bet to configure a "spare" disk and just swap it out with the one in the AppleTV ?
  2. Do I detect that there is no SPDIF support for digital audio output, and I'd need a separate hardware device to pull out the audio from the HDMI ? If I need to do anything specific to get this to work, and pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again !

- Observer - 2011-03-23

davilla Wrote:So far, I see a common factor being VC1 and E-AC-3, perhaps time to try some h264 ?

@davilla, per my previous point, from a mac user perspective, we only really have MakeMKV as our first Bluray ripping tool, and depending on the source that may have VC-1 encoding or otherwise, and re-encoding to h264, will reduce quality, and makes it more of a challenge and choice for user adoption.

Other folks (such as @icedtrip) seem to think the issue is with the container (MKV) but I've not got any evidence to prove that anything works just now even at 720p, as it's all choppy or no video.

So identifying the real issues with previously attached clips may help ?

Please let us know if you need any more info ?

Thanks
-Simon

- Observer - 2011-03-24

Try as I might to follow the HOW-TO install a Miminal Ubuntu and XBMC with sound over HDMI on the AppleTV instructions, it seems that I had to use ifconfig to set the ATV IP address manually (I can ping it), but when I try an telnet per the instructions I get a connection refused ?

Not sure where to ask so all help greatly appreciated....I'll get there, with hopefully only a few prompts as I'm pretty persistent and in most cases Google is my friend. :-) Big Grin