Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- charrua - 2010-04-22

RockDawg Wrote:I can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks so much!
You're very welcome.

RockDawg Wrote:I'm a little confused on this part. From what I read mklink is a Windows command. In my situation the server is Win but the clients are Linux. What would be the proper command?
Yes, mklink is a windows command.
If you want to use the same server for hosting the MySQL db and the shared cache folder, then you should share the folder thumbnails inside the userdata folder of XBMC on your Win7 server and then create the symbolic link to that folder from the Linux clients running this command from the linux shell from inside the userdata folder of XBMC
Code:
ln -s [i]shared_cache_folder[/i] thumbnails
where shared_cache_folder is the name of the network shared folder holding the image cache in Win7.

- RockDawg - 2010-04-22

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home from work.

A strange thing I noticed was when I got XBMC using the db on the server. I tried to import my movies from the .xml file and I could see what looked like them scanning in, but when I woke up this morning and checked it out. XBMC acted as though there was no library. I figured I would go into files mode and set content and re-scan them in, but "exclude folder from scans" was checked and I couldn't uncheck it. I was leaving for work and didn't have much time to investigate, but does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

- lestat1977uk - 2010-04-22

Thanks i have now managed to get it to work by using remote paths, so once i have my main video database all compiled, how do i keep all the Fanart, thumbs etc in sync?

i know there is some discussion on this including using remote cache paths (which i am keen to try) but what would you suggest being the easiest way?

Another quick question rather than use mysql can i use sql 2005 express or even sql 2008?

- charrua - 2010-04-22

RockDawg Wrote:Thanks. I'll try that when I get home from work.
A strange thing I noticed was when I got XBMC using the db on the server. I tried to import my movies from the .xml file and I could see what looked like them scanning in, but when I woke up this morning and checked it out. XBMC acted as though there was no library. I figured I would go into files mode and set content and re-scan them in, but "exclude folder from scans" was checked and I couldn't uncheck it. I was leaving for work and didn't have much time to investigate, but does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Do you have any local paths defined as media sources?

lestat1977uk Wrote:Thanks i have now managed to get it to work by using remote paths, so once i have my main video database all compiled, how do i keep all the Fanart, thumbs etc in sync?
I know there is some discussion on this including using remote cache paths (which i am keen to try) but what would you suggest being the easiest way?
If you don't mind a little lag while accesing the media lists and eventually having no posters and fanart displayed in XBMC if the connection to the machine hosting the shared cache folder is down, then I think the common network shared cache folder is the best option so far.
If you have a few XBMC clients, and your network is not too fast or reliable you may prefer to sync the cache folder between machines instead.
lestat1977uk Wrote:Another quick question rather than use mysql can i use sql 2005 express or even sql 2008?
Currently no.

What about Drobo users? - joedeal - 2010-04-22

Anyone know if there is a app like MySQL for the Drobo that would work as well?

- RockDawg - 2010-04-22

charrua Wrote:Do you have any local paths defined as media sources?

No, all my media sources are on two other servers.

- WisdomWolf - 2010-04-22

charrua Wrote:Yes, I believe you are correct.
Also be aware that there is another temporary solution for the thumbnail cache, originally suggested by MrDVD: symlinking a network shared folder as a common central cache, that way you don't even have to use Sugarsync for syncing thumbnails. The only cons I've found so far with that approach is that XBMC GUI speed suffers a little (at least in my tests) compared to XBMC using a local image cache, and the other issue is that if you loose connection to the network shared cache folder XBMC won't be able to show any poster, fanart, etc. Other than that is a very good temporary solution.

Hmm, I may look into that as well. I wouldn't be so worried about the missing fanart on lost connection because all my media is stored on the server anyways. So if I have no connection then I have no media. My only concern would be speed since I'm stuck with wifi right now, but it would be nice to not have to give up any cpu to sugarsync on my Aspire Revo. I'll try out both methods this weekend and report back in case anyone is interested.

- RockDawg - 2010-04-24

Oddly when I got home from work, my library was showing. The problem now is that navigation is painfully slow. Entering the my movies library from the home screen takes like 20 seconds. Clicking on "movie info" takes about 8 seconds for the info window to pop up. And that is with me only using the centralized db. I haven't even messed with the thumbs yet. Everything is gigabit network. Anybody else experience anything like this or have any suggestions?

- charrua - 2010-04-24

RockDawg Wrote:Oddly when I got home from work, my library was showing. The problem now is that navigation is painfully slow. Entering the my movies library from the home screen takes like 20 seconds. Clicking on "movie info" takes about 8 seconds for the info window to pop up. And that is with me only using the centralized db. I haven't even messed with the thumbs yet. Everything is gigabit network. Anybody else experience anything like this or have any suggestions?
Any errors in the XBMC log?

- RockDawg - 2010-04-24

I never thought to check, but yah there's some weird stuff in there:

http://pastesite.com/14989

- craigd - 2010-04-24

I've been playing with new svn's and decided tot ry this on my laptop so as not to disrupt my htpc's but having probs.

I've installed sql on my server and created xbmc user with full rights.

It appears to scan and create the db ok but when I go to the movies view there is nothing listed.

I ran a debug and am getting multiple errors of "ERROR: Can't open the database xbmc_video as it is a NEWER version than what we were expecting!"

does anyone know if this is an issue with the svn or sql, don;t want to start messing with my main installs until I've tested it all working?

- lestat1977uk - 2010-04-24

Hi all

Just wanted to give you guys some feedback, got 3 machines now setup using mysql and works a treat! (Thanks Charrua)

I've also been playing around with using symbolic links to thumbnails on the main server for the other 2 machines.

Whilst it does work it does take quite a long time to load up the image! i think what is really needed is a local cache and a remote one, ie everytime you open up xbmc it pulls from the remote thumbnails folder into its own local folder, that way it would only ever be slow when making a quite update?

Interestingly though i found that making symbolic links to plugins scripts etc.. work really well and saves the need to have to keep plugins and other programs the same on all xbmcs.

Your thoughts guys?

- charrua - 2010-04-24

RockDawg Wrote:I never thought to check, but yah there's some weird stuff in there:
http://pastesite.com/14989
I don't think the errors that show in your log are causing the slowdown you describe, could it be just due to the server hosting MySQL not being fast enough? In my case XBMC running on MySQL remote db is only a couple of seconds slower than the same XBMC instance running on a local SQLite db.

craigd Wrote:I've been playing with new svn's and decided tot ry this on my laptop so as not to disrupt my htpc's but having probs.
I've installed sql on my server and created xbmc user with full rights.
It appears to scan and create the db ok but when I go to the movies view there is nothing listed.
I ran a debug and am getting multiple errors of "ERROR: Can't open the database xbmc_video as it is a NEWER version than what we were expecting!"
does anyone know if this is an issue with the svn or sql, don;t want to start messing with my main installs until I've tested it all working?
You should use XBMC r28256 to try MySQL features, because if you try a newer version it will update the database structure (and version) and then you have to drop the db if you want to go back to a previous XBMC version.
lestat1977uk Wrote:Hi all
Just wanted to give you guys some feedback, got 3 machines now setup using mysql and works a treat! (Thanks Charrua)
I've also been playing around with using symbolic links to thumbnails on the main server for the other 2 machines.
Whilst it does work it does take quite a long time to load up the image! i think what is really needed is a local cache and a remote one, ie everytime you open up xbmc it pulls from the remote thumbnails folder into its own local folder, that way it would only ever be slow when making a quite update?
Interestingly though i found that making symbolic links to plugins scripts etc.. work really well and saves the need to have to keep plugins and other programs the same on all xbmcs.
Your thoughts guys?
I agree completely, anyway the db is going through a mayor redesing (at least that's what I've read in the forum) that will include improvements in the way XBMC handles the image cache, so the symlinking is just one of the possible temporary solutions until the redesign is done.
Good finding about remote shared plugins and scripts!

- RockDawg - 2010-04-24

charrua Wrote:I don't think the errors that show in your log are causing the slowdown you describe, could it be just due to the server hosting MySQL not being fast enough? In my case XBMC running on MySQL remote db is only a couple of seconds slower than the same XBMC instance running on a local SQLite db.

It's running on a Win7 machine with a C2D E6550 w/2GB RAM. While I know it's nowhere near an up-to-date machine, I though it would be more than fast enough considering that, A. MySQL is touted as fast and light weight and B. others are doing this on a NAS which aren't usually very powerful.

- charrua - 2010-04-24

RockDawg Wrote:It's running on a Win7 machine with a C2D E6550 w/2GB RAM. While I know it's nowhere near an up-to-date machine, I though it would be more than fast enough considering that, A. MySQL is touted as fast and light weight and B. others are doing this on a NAS which aren't usually very powerful.
Yes, you're right, the server can't be the problem in your case.