Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- mellowd - 2010-05-11

harryzimm Wrote:Make sure you have the <advancedsettings> tag.
eg.

cheers

Yeah that was it. I noticed when I checked the log:

Code:
19:20:16 T:4784 M:2552266752   ERROR: Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, no <advancedsettings> node

Doh!

I can now see plenty of mysql traffic through wireshark and I'm also seeing the tables populate.

Let's see if/how well it works Smile

- lestat1977uk - 2010-05-11

Good spot, i just thought you had only posted the relevant part of the advanced settings lol.

How did you get on, all working?

- mellowd - 2010-05-13

lestat1977uk Wrote:Good spot, i just thought you had only posted the relevant part of the advanced settings lol.

How did you get on, all working?

The test worked ok. The main thing was exporting the database correctly.

However I am going to start fresh. I currently have an external 1TB connected to my Revo, and I want to move all the media (and the database) to the NAS. Not sure how I'll go about this yet.

I'll also need to symlink userdata on all platforms I'll eventually use.

I'm moving at the end of the month, so will only be doing it then.

- WisdomWolf - 2010-05-14

lestat1977uk Wrote:I have done similar things in the past, the way i did it was to take advantage of portable mode, ie have portable mode include the advanced settings and normal mode not use the advanced settings.

That way you can simple setup one shortcut with -p (portable) and one without, could even go as far to call them 'XBMC Home' and 'XBMC on the road'

Worked for me.

This sounds like it might work, but I'm not quite sure how to accomplish it on the mac. I'm very new to mac so I still have a lot to learn. I know shorcuts are called aliases, but I'm not sure how to append -p to an alias. Hmmm.

- blacklist - 2010-05-16

Hey all, one question -

I've got the mysql up and running, database tables populated and all that good stuff. When I go to add a source however - it never properly sets the content in the database, therefore neveradds anything to the library. I'm getting ready to do a fresh install of XBMC on the latest SVN - but has anyone else had a problem with this?

Im using SVN r30199 on windows7 with whatever latest mysql is.

Thanks!

Blacklist

UPDATE:

So, it turns out what should have been obvious didn't occur to me until just now. Don't try to use local paths. It doesn't work. Even on the same machine. SMB is the way to go.

Yeah I know. Duh.

- dieterxy - 2010-05-28

My Library is not that big (50 Movies and 500 Episodes) but its working better than i thought. I share the thumbnails from my Server and on my Desktop there is nearly no lag at all. On my Notebook its more noticeable - maybe 5 seconds to load the tvshow library.

If someone ist interested in my Setup:

3 machines all Win7 xbmc r28256 and night skin.
Server - Atom 330 with Ion and mysql already installed with xampp on 1000Mbit Line direkt to the router
Desktop - AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ with 2 GB RAM with 200Mbit line through the powerlines
Notebook - Atom330 with Ion, 3GB RAM and 54Mbit

thanks guys for this great thread Smile

- RockDawg - 2010-05-30

I've been running my central db for my videos for a while now without problem. Suddenly, XBMC will not scan in any new media. I have both a movie and a bunch of TV shows that re newly added to my server and they're not scanning in to the XBMC db. Here is a debug log:

http://pastebin.com/z83TMB5g

The movie 'The Crazies', the entire TV show 'Law & Order: SVU', and a bunch of episodes of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' were not added, but should've been when I ran the scan in that log.

The central db still seems to be saving resume information as I can stop watching a movie on one box and then resume at the same point at another box. It's just that no new media can be added.

- WisdomWolf - 2010-06-01

Ok i've seriously messed something up and need help. I updated to a newer build (r30667) and now my database is there, but everytime I try to play something it says it's no longer available (even when attempting from the same machine). The files play just fine in fileview. I tried removing the source, cleaning the library, closing xbmc, reopening and then rescanning, but I still get the same problem. Also, when I rescan it still shows what was watched before.

I'm guessing that I need to clear the MySQL tables completely and start over, but I can't figure out how. I also can't go back to older builds because they won't read the library at all, even if I try to scan new content. I'm thoroughly confused and could really use some help.

UPDATE: I even tried uninstalling MySQL Server, deleting it's folder from Program Files, and then reinstalling, but the data persists! All my XBMC installs are essentially broken until I fix this. My wife appreciates your help as much as I do. Wink

- dondre - 2010-06-01

hello

please keep us informed of your advancement on the MySQL use, I'm starting to get interested in doing so because I have now more than 2500 movies and more than 9000 episodes so my database is lagging more and more Sad

- craigd - 2010-06-01

@ WisdomWolf, I suck on db's, really need to start learning them more, but download mysql workbench and it's fairly easy to delete shemes and tables from the gui, http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/5.2.html

- charrua - 2010-06-02

WisdomWolf Wrote:Ok i've seriously messed something up and need help. I updated to a newer build (r30667) and now my database is there, but everytime I try to play something it says it's no longer available (even when attempting from the same machine). The files play just fine in fileview. I tried removing the source, cleaning the library, closing xbmc, reopening and then rescanning, but I still get the same problem. Also, when I rescan it still shows what was watched before.
I'm guessing that I need to clear the MySQL tables completely and start over, but I can't figure out how. I also can't go back to older builds because they won't read the library at all, even if I try to scan new content. I'm thoroughly confused and could really use some help.
UPDATE: I even tried uninstalling MySQL Server, deleting it's folder from Program Files, and then reinstalling, but the data persists! All my XBMC installs are essentially broken until I fix this. My wife appreciates your help as much as I do. Wink

Change the video database name in advancedsettings.xml
That'll make XBMC to create a new blank db to start over.

- WisdomWolf - 2010-06-03

Thanks for all your help, but what I ultimately ended up doing was deleting MySQL essentials and switching to something called WAMP at the suggestion of a friend. I know have better gui access to my server and creating users and assigning permissions no longer requires mucking about in the commandline. I would highly suggest anyone interested in doing a MySQL setup look into using WAMP as it'll make things much easier.

- dondre - 2010-06-03

Great!

WAMP is just an acronym for Windows Apache MySQL PHP, there are many products out there,

Here's a link to a comparison of all products if people are interested Rofl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_WAMPs

EasyPHP being very well known and a good starter (IMHO),

So WisdomWolf did you changed the database name in the advancedsettings.xml as charrua recommended and did you get a new database filled in by XBMC?

- ninjahat - 2010-06-05

This is exactly what I was looking for, can't wait until all xbmc data is being stored in a mysql database.

One problem I was having was slowness browsing the menus, I fixed this by adding skip-name-resolve in the [mysqld] section of the my.cf file. This change made everything very fast again, as quick or quicker than a local sqllite database. I'm using mysql on Ubuntu linux on a gigabit network.

Another thing that was mentioned in this thread or another, can't remember, was the problem with smart-playlists using the random function. Sqllite uses the RANDOM function and mysql uses the RAND function. Is there a quick fix for this?

- Cyb3rH4Xter - 2010-06-19

It is possible to store images in mysql dbs, so why not implement that in next xbmc version? Tongue